Chicago Children's Museum Employee Reviews

Great environment
Human Resources Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 3, 2018
Loved the job, great opportunity. . I learned a lot and was able to get school credit for the opportunity. I would highly recommend. Theres only the typical cons of working at a non-profit.
A lovely internship
Chicago - Intern Art (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 29, 2018
This internship was a partnership with Marwen's Art at Work program. The art facilitators I worked with were all incredibly nice. It was an excellent job for a high schooler.
Fun volunteer place
Early Learning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60611March 19, 2018
Call the Chicago Children's Museum and let them know that your are interested in volunteer
Fill out an online application for volunteering
Get started volunteering at the Chicago Children's Museum
Pros
No free lunches
Cons
No lunches
fun place but also not a good place
Play and Learning Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60611March 14, 2018
the museum is fun there is a lot of drama in the place and they don't promote you and they hire out side supervisors and when we apply for hire position they say we don't have enough experience
Cons
no promation even if u have many years of expirance they say u dont have the expirance
In a word.... Terrible
Guest Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 23, 2018
This is one of the worst managed companies I have ever worked for. The administrative staff do not care about the museum's mission, nor do they care about the floor staff (who are the heart and soul of that museum).

There is an obvious "Us VS. Them" mentality there that prevents any of the hourly employees from moving up within the company.

The Development department has fired every POC within the department in the last year and the museum as a whole is hemorrhaging employees almost daily.

The Guest Services department has completely replaced all of their staff within the last year and have gone through 7 full-time supervisors in 2 years. Obviously something is going wrong within the department, but HR doesn't care enough to enact change.

The only thing the museum has going for them is the floor staff. They are the shining star in an otherwise dingy place.
Pros
The floor staff are some of the hardest working people at that place.
Cons
Literally everything else.
Excellent work environment
Vice President of Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 31, 2018
Chicago Children's is an excellent place to work. It is a supportive, diverse, empowering work culture that encourages you to bring your whole self to work each day.
Extremely friendly atmosphere while working with children
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 4, 2017
CCM was an awesome place to work. The managers were fair and friendly, and the other employees made it enjoyable to be there. The work was mostly slow-paced, depending on the time of day. Getting to work with children and their families was very enjoyable as well.
Children Museum
Play and Learning Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 22, 2017
The Children Museum was a great job. Chicago Children Museum has a lot of safety issues and low staffed, The children Museum is not good at keeping different areas and material clean throughout the museum, THere were no benefits for a worker who been in a Play and Learning Facilitator.
Can't Wait to Quit
Admissions (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 17, 2017
I can honestly say that I hate my job and I can't wait to quit. The manager is just awful and cannot communicate a single thing properly. If you make a mistake you are yelled at. There are several tasks that are unnecessary or inefficient, but if you don't do them you are yelled at or written up. Every conversation I have had with the manager (even ones that aren't work related) was awkward and weird. Navy Pier parking is expensive, but it would take me hours to get their by bus if I didn't drive. This alone makes the job not worth it. The computer system they use is just terrible and visitors constantly get upset with how long it takes to check them in.
Pros
At least I have something to put on my resume for when I apply for another job.
Cons
Everything, but especially the poor management.
Worst. Job. Ever.
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 21, 2017
This job was the most miserable working experience I have ever had.

The Manager is not just the worst manager I've ever worked with, but also the worst co-worker. The term "petty despot" was invented for her. Her behavior was incredibly unprofessional, freaking out on staff on the museum floor, belittling them and creating awkward moments with almost every conversation, and even getting into screaming matches with visitors. The staff absolutely despised working with her and supervisors (who had to interact with her the most) would usually quit before working there a year. The saddest part of this situation is that this COULD be a good workplace, if they just got rid of her, but for whatever reason, they haven't.

I wouldn't wish working here on my worst enemy.
Pros
The days the manager wasn't there were okay.
Cons
The manager is the biggest one, but the fact that it takes an average of 3 minutes to check in visitors is another one.
Very Negative Experience
Guest Services (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 21, 2017
You'd think that working at a children's museum would be fun, but there is nothing fun about being part of the Admissions/Guest Services team.

There are constant long lineups and confusion. The "manager's" (and I use that term loosely) idea of easing the line is to occasionally yell at visitors to go to the membership area. This rarely works. The museum is also too cheap to invest in a decent proof of payment system so the lineups are even more congested by visitors waiting to have wristbands put on or stamps on their hands.

The membership area isn't much better. Processing members takes forever, so there is usually always a line there too.

Somebody calls in sick pretty much every day, so we are constantly short-staffed. Management LOVES to write people up, but the staff just treats it like a joke.

We've been short-staffed in general for the past few months because our "manager" is totally inept and unable to carry on a decent conversation (let alone a job interview).

I have worked here for months and nobody has ever bothered to give any positive re-enforcement. Just constant criticism. I plan on quitting as soon as in have another job lined up.
Terrible Management. Toxic Work Environment
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 2, 2017
I worked as a Guest Services team member. The manager is a straight up bully and terrible person. The VP in charge of the department has no clue what she's doing. There are constant lineups because they are always making people fill out forms. The ticketing system is the worst I've ever had to work with. There are so many rules and so much bureaucracy that the job (which should be simple) is miserable and stressful.
Pros
My coworkers were nice. And the days the manager wasn't there were fun.
Cons
Manager is an awful person, VP doesn't care, Staff is miserable, Navy Pier is a pain to get to, Pay sucks, ticketing system is horrific
Good part-time job
Educator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 29, 2016
Flexible and fun. Worked in the Education department. Guest Services has more reliable hours but pay is minimal. Was a great job while in grad school
Fun Place to work.
Events Planner (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 4, 2015
Learned to multitask in a hectic environment and think outside the box to get things done. The hardest part of the job was learning to slow down.
Amazing place for kids
Co-Chair, Annual Event Co-Chair, Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 7, 2015
The children's museum is a wonderful place for kids to explore and learn. The whole team is amazing. It's a wonderful place to support.
Design Interns Dream
Graphic Design Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2013
Being a graphic design intern at the Chicago Children's Museum is an internship dream come true. The staff at CCM is like family; they are supportive, understanding and just a wonderful bunch of people to work with. The marketing team there is more than willing to help you learn and answer any and all of your questions and teach you what you need to know. As an intern you learn all the necessary skills and gain experience through real projects that are used by the museum. I truly enjoyed my time there and learned quite a lot about graphics and the real working world.
Love to help Children
Exhibit Interpreter/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 25, 2013
I enjoyed working with children and families from all over the world.
Productive and fun workplace
Play and Learning Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IlAugust 1, 2012
A typical day at work would be keeping a clean and enjoyable learning space for bot the children and adults. An area where the workers learn just as much from the children as the children learn from the workers. The other workers are friendly and quick to help with any task you set in front of them.