Chicago Public Schools Employee Reviews

Work Place Culture
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 12, 2018
Great place to work with a variety of students. Teacher and parents are invested in the students. The hardest part of the job was the paperwork, but teaching the students was wonderful experience.
Work place summary
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 9, 2018
Be ready at all times to make changes to your plans. The atmosphere is so happy be ready to jump in and go with the flow of the excitement. When the students are happy it makes for an engaging interactions with everyone.
Thriving Educational Workplace
Climate Control (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2018
I loved working here because I graduated from the high school I had the opportunity to be staffed at. It was great to be on the mentoring and authoritative side of things and seeing how much work goes into providing a safe environment for students.
Productive and fun work place
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2018
Enjoyed working and motivating students,, teachers, and other staff towards achieving the school's common goals. Took great pride in assisting with students accomplishts.
Seca
Special Ed Teacher Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2018
The children made my job very special and staff was okay overall.If you have time to participate with your own kids they give you time to go and return to work.
Pros
off during the summer
Cons
no pay during the summer
Special Education
Teacher Assistant/Student Aide (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 5, 2018
Where is worked was awful! The Special Education super for my specialty area was checked out! He was a gossip and just not good at managing his personnel.
Not your average job
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 5, 2018
Cps is a great place to work if your all about helping the children of chicago. They offer great benefits and you can advance within the system. They offer you paid time off and sick days. The only knock is they don't give you a chance if you get in trouble its off with your head no matter if your innocent.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Administration is bad
Large organization with numerous challenges and opportunities.
Attorney, Due Process and Mediation (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 4, 2018
Large urban school district with approximately 400 schools presents numerous challenges and opportunities for employees willing to work hours well beyond their contracted work day.
Pros
Public service
Cons
Very burdensome work load.
A typical day
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 4, 2018
This employer reminded you constantly the reason for your efforts were overall for the children. Without this reminder, the individual may resolve with a bit of reluctance when approached to overextend their time.
High paced but enjoyable
Teadher & Reading Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 3, 2018
I taught 3rd - 8th grade, all subject & Language Arts & was a Reading Teacher for 1 year for K-3rd. I worked with students as well as teachers. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the students and seeing them make strides.
Loved being a teacher
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 2, 2018
I loved being a teacher especially in the lowere elementary grades. I was part of the first Head Start program and taught kids that did not speak english in many cases. Wonderful experience.
love the crew fun easy to get along with.
Cook (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 1, 2018
its very busy at times love the school i work at love the children i love helping where is needed. i cook breakfast and lunch also cook and set up pre-k.
Pros
good healthcare
Cons
no cons love the school system.
Extremely busy community student atmosphere
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 29, 2018
Typical day starts early. The children start arriving to the cafeteria for a breakfast serving. They are lined up according to grade/classroom and walk to their respective rooms. The disciplinary climate is defined by the principal. The day goes by quickly, as during the day the students are moving to music, or gym or playground or lunch or bathroom, etc.
The classroom management is perhaps the most important aspect of the day. Keeping the students safe and comfortable are of critical importance.
Visiting the library class, for instance is when the children are not accompanied by their teacher, like art, gym or music. They seem to prosper and enjoy the variety they experience in their daily routine.
Pros
kids are great
Cons
day goes by so fast
Loved teaching and working with my kids
Bilingual Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 28, 2018
I worked with 3rd. and 4th grade Bilingual students. My position was self-contained and I worked with 25-30 students a day. My room was exceptional and my students were all eager to learn. Teaching is a wonderful career to have, but you must be willing to work with all types of students and be willing to challenge them.
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 26, 2018
As a substitute teacher, you do not get paid time off for vacation or sick days. You are able to work as many days as you like. You are in control of days work.
Pros
You are not working an eight hour work day.
Cons
As a substitute teacher you do not have benefits.
Rewarding career working with children
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 26, 2018
Rewarding career working with children of all ages
Great pay and benefits
Could be overwhelming working with different administrators and schools
Love meeting new people
Pros
Short work day, Great Pay
Cons
Hard communication with administartors
There was plenty of internships to choose from in career and technical engineering fields
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 25, 2018
I worked in agriculture and helped the earth and learned more about it, what people are doing wrong, and how i can do my part to help make the Earth better.
Pros
Free lunch, pre-paid debit card
Cons
The program is great but Uncle Sam steals so much of your money, but that’s anywhere.
Good job
Factor Custodial Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 22, 2018
It’s a great job if you don’t plan on moving up. The pay is good. The benefits stared not being that great but still good . Great teachers and administration. Nice to be off on weekends and holidays.
Very Productive
Director of Operations/Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 20, 2018
Working for Chicago Public Schools has been very eye opening and I'm fortunate to have worked for this company. The company definitely gives back and puts you in a position to be your own boss.
An organization that has been
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 20, 2018
A typical day would start with clocking into the timekeeping system. After arriving into the classroom, you will look at what the teacher has scheduled for activities and work for the students. I was responsible for making sure that we stayed on task and the students were safe and sound by the end of the day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chicago Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.5

2.2Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Chicago Public Schools Reviews by Location