Chicago Public Schools Employee Reviews

Found 1,224 reviews matching the search See all 1,225 reviews
A great experience working with diverse populations.
Substitute Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 17, 2018
I enjoy working as a substitute teacher in Chicago. I experience a wide variety of learning styles and learning needs. I love that I have had so many differing experiences that have greatly shaped my educational foundation and approach to teaching.
Pros
Great experiences, great students.
Cons
Low salary
Productive place to work
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 10, 2018
Days go fast because it’s always something new with the kids and the company is very welcoming. I love working there because you learn something new everyday
They do not promote
Second Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 7, 2018
It is hard to get in a good position. Being a sub some teachers were not respectable as if you do not have BACHELORS DEGREE OR HIGHER. i would have love to work in administration.
Great place to work. All the necessary information was provided to achieve our work day.
DATA ENTRY SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 6, 2018
Either at the corporate center downtown or a school location was scheduled to work the day. Learned requirements of all grades in order to attend a safe and healthy school. Management gave informative instructions and nothing else was needed. Great communication! Workplace has it purpose to be the best. Enjoyed the opportunity to work at both locations (school and corporate).
Pros
Good pay, good Manager and basic work schedule.
Cons
being a temporary job.
n/a
School dining manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 5, 2018
i don't really have much to say about this place. they want you to work for free. i can only speak for the nutrition support department. They should fire the whole food service department and start over
Pros
working with children and the schedule
Cons
almost everything
Great Job
Dean of Students/ Operation Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 4, 2018
Great Job building the future of our world with the tools to get a great education. Mentoring our youth to be comfortable in achieving their dreams and goals. S
Pros
Great job
Cons
N/a
Fun
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 4, 2018
It was a joy to work with the children in the Chicago School System. Back then some kids did want to learn and be successful in life. A lot has change since than.
Pros
Teachers
Cons
System
Flexible Work Schedule
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Harlan Community Academy HSOctober 31, 2018
Worked in the schools main office which made the staff "first point of contact" upon entering the building; people skills were a must. Hardest part of the position were the budget concerns/changes on a constant bases. Regardless of planning and budgeting changes were always made.The most enjoyable part of my position was interacting with the students and other staff (afterpurchasing, balancing accounts,etc) you need that human interaction.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Good place to work and grow.
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  9130 S. University Ave.October 28, 2018
Productive when working with students. Lots of paperwork required. I learned management of time and energies to be a positive and effective educator.
Pros
Opportunity to sharpen effective instructional practices with Professional Developments.
Cons
Needing more Social Workers to address the needs of students .
Par for the course.
Long-term Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 26, 2018
Stepping in as a months-long sub is never a great situation, and this was no worse or better than it gets. I had all the responsibilities of a lead teacher, but none of the benefits (e.g., healthcare, respect). If you're just starting out, it's good experience -- trial by fire -- and provides networking opportunities.
Excellent Company
Attendance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 25, 2018
Excellence company to work for. The team was great as a whole and working with the students allowed me to grow personally and professionally. CPS is a great company
Pros
Student, staff, benefits
Cons
Any career working for the well being of others is stressful.
Good experience working for CPS
Teacher /school assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 22, 2018
I liked to help students. I got there early helped in the office answering phone calls from parents and assisting parents at the counter. then I went to my classroom or wherever they sent me as a school assistant. sometimes I had to cover a class while the teacher had meeting with the parents, other times I had to be in the meetings translating for parents and teachers. other days I just had to be in one classroom assisting teacher with activiites. at the end of the day I helped the office clerk with mail, or making copies for teachers, answer phone calls, and watching children until the parents came to pick them up. also I had to be there in the playground makin g sure ch\ildren were picked up and others left the ground safe.
Pros
helping children and parents during the day. working with children and different activities, go to fieldtrips.
Cons
sometimes stressful job. parents complaint and want more and more and sometimes there is no time.a
Exciting and creative workplace
Educator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 20, 2018
Chicago Public Schools allows you to connect to other educators while adding the value of your skill set and talent to help educate and empower the children and youth of Chicago to complete their education and go out into the world to make an impact. A typical day at work is 8am to 4pm, the class begins with an in class assignment and may continue on with a quiz or test, the students might work in groups, or a lecture with notes written on the board. The management varies from school to school, the culture is generous to creative and unique ideas as well as traditional teaching strategies. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping children and youth succeed and connecting to others working on doing the same.
Pros
Access to tools and equipmement that enhances learning.
Cons
Short breaks, healthcare and life insurance for teachers who work part time is limited.
Teachers and students are great
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 17, 2018
Working in CPS was an adventure and great learning experience. The teachers were amazing and students fun and challenging. Teaching is a very difficult job and I applaud those who do it well and make a difference every day.
Efficient workplace
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 16, 2018
Efficient workplace with great health benefits. A collaborative working environment where students’ needs are addressed individually and monitored for excellence.
Pros
Family health benefits
teaching is important
teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 13, 2018
I come from a long line of teachers, so I tried to follow the family tradition. I did my best and I enjoyed a lot of it. I think I spent too much time as a substitute teacher. Being a regular teacher was hard for me. I decided in the end that I wasn't really meant to be a teacher. I still think that it's a good profession and teachers should be better supported and a better way to teach that is more realistic should be implemented.
I love to work part time with CPS
Teacher Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Chicago. Roger’s Park.October 12, 2018
I love this Employer, but Part time work is good. I would love to work as teacher assistant. Thanks 🙏. Please Give me promotion as Teacher. CPS is a very good employer.
Pros
Good money
Cons
No good money
James Peterson
LUNCHROOM MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Chicago IllinoisOctober 12, 2018
Being able to interact with the students making sure that they are enjoying their meals. I love to see the children happy. Sometimes I am sadden at the situations of some of the children. Sometimes they are a little sad, maybe because of certain peer pressure issue's that some of them are going through. I really like it when I can make a difference in their lives. On the overall I love to work at my work place. I often get to work at least 10 to 15 minutes earlier every day.. I try and create a atmosphere that everyone on my team will enjoy their day. I believe that with a good atmosphere everyone can enjoy their work place. Although every day is never the same. People do have their own worries and concerns. The good thing about that though, is that I am one who likes to build up and not tear down. There should be a balance of any individual when it comes to separating their job and their personal lives. One should always focus on the positiveness of being able to provide for themselves and others and be grateful for what they have been blessed with. I believe that we are professionals that should always operate with the expectations of reaching someone in a positive attitude. There are standards that we as professionals should uphold.
Pros
Must pay for meals..
Cons
always wanting something free.
Monitor and assist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 9, 2018
I didnt like any of the managers. They all back stab amd try their beat to get you fired as if they personally gain from it. It was bad from beginning to end.
CPS review
School Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 8, 2018
A typical day was filled with back to back meeting to complete IEP's or 504 plans. We a clinician had a free moment it was consumed with students who were ill and making contact with student on your case load.
Pros
Free school lunches for students.
Cons
Breaks and lunch was a challenge due to meetings.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chicago Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight