Chicago Public Schools logo

Found 1,630 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,637 reviews

Chicago Public Schools insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose

Fun but a little disorganized

I like working there but I usually have to ask my supervisor what my assignment is for the day. The schedule is super flexible and my supervisor is great. It's a good summer job for the pay so I can't complain too much

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

work alone

Long hours,

Employees Gossip about each other and lots or turn around in management. Tons if pressure and crazy deadlines. Long hours. Unrealistic goals no cost of living increases but new job responsibilities added. Always worried about layoffs each year.

Pros

Good salary and benefits.

Cons

Crazy deadline and short staff

spend to much money on stuff not needed,

15 year employee over all good experience, no raise till 12 yrs later, great people, location, nice neighborhood, good principle, many opportunities, small school

Pros

good benefits, good hours, I'm in a good school, not sure about others

Cons

mngt ment, salary for me

It was a decent place to intern. Great administrative leadership l. Loved working with the kids and parents. The teachers were all very welcoming and nice

Good

Stuck

As a teacher, you can be piled on with responsibilities that do nothing to your seniority nor salary. Salary is based on education level and seniority; doesn’t incorporate performance or extra responsibility. Often, you find yourself doing other’s jobs to provide yourself the foundation you need to do your own job.

Pros

summers, residency waiver

Cons

stress

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

Depends on where you're at!

I worked at 4 CPS in my 8 years of teaching as an art educator. All elementary schools. Jobs in art and music are highly competitive. I found the more years I had, and the more qualified I was, the more I would cost a school, so therefore newer, better positions were much more difficult to obtain. Teachers straight out of college were chosen for these art positions, no one wants to pay a lot for an art teacher when reading and math are the priority. I worked in 2 Turnaround schools for 4 of my years. One on the south side another on the west side. Those were tough. The children had many needs, and learning to manage behaviour was something that had to be mastered in order to survive. You couldn't just send a child to the principal's office (or half the school would be in there). You were expected to have a classroom management plan and cope with behaviour issues while teaching. It wasn't so bad with the k-3 students. But fourth and up got harder and harder. The best thing to do is develop a positive relationship with the children. Calling parents (even if it seems totally intimidating) worked wonders for me. Almost all parents, no matter where they're from, are impressed when you take time out to care about their child with a phone call. Just sprinkle in a lot of positives! Working for CPS is a wild ride...especially if you're anywhere but the north side of the city. But after you've worked in this city, you will be confident to teach ANYWHERE! (that is if you don't quit in your first month)

Pros

Pay, time off, sense of purpose, you're doing a job that's so important, for kids who NEED good teachers they can depend on

Cons

Lots of turnover with staff and administration alike, behaviour issues in schools that impede teaching, MUST live in the city of Chicago in order to work for the school system

Absolutely LOVE working for CPS

CPS has been a godsend. After working in home healthcare, I was in need of a change of pace and setting. Dealing with children can have its challenges but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty manageable. Deadlines can become stressful if you do not plan/work accordingly. Other than that, the workload is good and usually stress free. The hours are GREAT and all holidays are paid. You get to keep the same schedule as the school children( less than 8hrs/day, winter, spring, and summer break).The only con is change in assignment which can happen often due to need at different schools. But if you're good with change and adaptability then it should not be a problem.

Pros

Great work hours

Cons

Unpredictability

I enjoyed the short, but enriching, period I stayed at the school. Excellent leadership.

A typical day of work started greeting each other as they ran into the building. The days went smoothly while everyone was running to play their role of the moment, until activities ended, only moment of group interaction, but with social distancing in place. I was impressed by the flexibility level exhibited at the school I was working. The adjustments carried out to work with both, remote and presential students, required additional attention from teachers, staff as well as in students and their parents.Playground access to community members after school hours, and the interaction between school personnel and the communal organization show responsiveness from both parts to the needs of the other.

Pros

Permanent communication, mostly through the net because of the virus.

Cons

Need to adjust to the necessary changes posed by the weather.

Administration at the top is terrible. Local administration is the key.

It's okay. Administration needs to be better educated in education matters not business. They need to have more people with education backgrounds. It would be much better.

Productive and challenging work place. Important work is done.

Working with young people has been a pleasure. Seeing growth and being part of personal goals while coaching and motivating is repaying itself. It’s important to modify instructions so that you can facilitate these achievements.

Jobs at Chicago Public Schools

See more jobs

Decent

Good place to get work. As long as budgets don’t cut the Jobs. You can move about quite a bit in educational environments. Most people are social and cooperative to your roles.

Pros

Discounted meals

Cons

Year round support jobs vs teacher positions vary with time off

An O.K. place to work

The job has its pros and cons. The job itself if not draining, but I must say you never know what kind of energy you will walk into everyday, no matter what school you work out.

Benefits

Cons

Environment

I loved working with CPS

I learned a lot while working there. Management was alright but always had something for you to do. You pretty much work independently and only hear from management if something is wrong. The hardest part of the job was trying to get parents to return documents for meetings.

Pros

Good health benefits, summers and holidays off.

Cons

Unhappy coworkers who hate their job.

Ok

Watch your salary and negotiate up front and make sure to have valuable input respectively yourself and others. If you feel to speak your mind do so respectfuly

Decent

I worked as a staff member being a college student. My job was to administer and ensure the kindergarten-7 children were tested for advanced placement in CPS network schools

Pros

Lunch break, Flexible manager

Cons

Had to fight for shifts

Good pay, great benefits

My school is great, I think a lot depends on administration. Working with kids is great, I’m always busy so time passes by quickly. Good pay and great benefits.

Pros

Pay, benefits, schedule

Cons

Sometimes things are not communicated as well as they should be

Location, Compensation, Wages

As a School Security Officer, a typical day at work was challenging but exciting. I have learned how to deal with students and parental issues. The management at the school was like a family, very supportive. My workplace culture was well maintained, comfortable, and clean. The hardest part of the job was having to discipline irate students and parents. The most enjoyable part of the job was the connection that me and my coworkers established and the work schedule.

Pros

Work hours, job security, wages, and coworker unity.

Cons

Irate students and parents, writing disciplinary reports.

Keep your sanity and peace of mind

Not all children are bad but this particular school the kids were so disrespectful and a bunch of brats. The sad part about it is the school system doesn’t care if your mistreated by these kids or their parents. Never would I ever step foot in a type of atmosphere like again.

Pros

Summers off

Cons

Not being paid for when school is not in session

They are fine and understanding

I liked working at Chicago public schools. The principal and the staff were good. Also I had great support from the schools. The students were nice to deal with. There was great cooperation with the staff.

Large organization but small clusters help

Great organization that can further develop. Great managers with openness to equity work. Ongoing efforts at inclusion and diversity . Salary could be better based on role plus my qualifications .

The days worked were optional.

I enjoyed the experience of the classroom. Working with 6th- 8th grade was tough. Kindergarten classes had the most reward as children did listen and enjoy learning. The optional choice to substitute on various days was the plus. I made my own schedule basically.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chicago Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.4
InHerSight Score
2.1Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
2.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight