Chicago Public Schools
72Above average

Chicago Public Schools Employee Reviews

United States1,563 reviews
Found 1,563 reviews matching the search
I learned a lot from the Chicago public school when I used to teach there. Sometimes I worked very hard because the teachers does not a Lesson plan use my.
Pros
I used my break time to help the students.
Cons
I am always use my break time adjust my Lesson Plans.
Great interaction with students sharing information gives me a sense of accomplishment. The welding trade gives students an alternative to a 4 year university experience and still be a productive member of society.Many students would like to join the unions that give training and pay workers while the learn the trades and make a very comfortable living.
I felt fulfilled as well as challenged. I love working for Chicago Public Schools. I had the opportunity to work Employee Relations as well as the schools. It became very rewarding working with the children.
The environment is different from school to school. Overall, the system is ok but management could be better. The school could do better with involving parents as a part of educating the entire child.
Great working environment. Working with the children is very interesting and rewarding! I have discovered that teaching is far more than theory. Interaction and socialization is also essential.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Limited benefits as a substitute
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
Very tough, demanding work environment. Students, in most cases, will need a lot of support. Biggest obstacle is lack of leadership and funding, which is an ongoing systemic issue. Make sure you join and stay active in the Union. Abundant opportunities for PD, great pay and good benefits if you can endure the surrounding circumstances of specific schools.
CPS was a great experience because of the high pay. The only issue is that I was usually at schools that did not have enough materials for students to take home and study.
Because the district is so large, leadership does not have checks and balances. This results in missteps and an environment that is not supportive. It is a challenge to have hones conversations for fear of retribution and retaliation.
Pros
Students are great
Cons
Inexperienced leaders
As long as you perform, no one complains about whether you actually have a butt in a seat. If you’re in a position that can be performed remotely, then just be a good performer and no one questions you.
You help out teachers with the tasks they can't get to because they are teaching a class. You would have to do things outside of your required position.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Chicago Public Schools?
Swipe in and start to connect with children arriving in the cafeteria to start school. I may follow some students to make sure they are getting their assignments complete and are turning them in on a timely basis.
I had meetings with my boss once a week to prepare myself for the up coming events that I was going to work in,I took control of my job and also helped others.
Nothing but postive memories. The staff are awesome to work with, but that depends on your school that you get placed at.............................!
This district can be great to work for depending which area you are assigned. There is a lot of political moves/decisions made not always best for the children.
As a volunteer you gain confidence. Make schools better and show them your support. Make a difference in childrens education and allows you more time to spend with children.
At Chicago Public Schools, our mission is to provide a high quality public education for every child, in every neighborhood, that prepares each for success in college, career and civic life. To fulfill our mission, we make these three commitments to our students, their families and to all Chicagoans.
I have the experience and expertise in customer services and office work also management experience for over 20 plus years
I have Leadership skills, I take initiative and I’m dependable
Great job I’m trying to go back they take care of you. If I had the opportunity to go back I would I truly loved this job I left due to a new job but I want to come back
Pros
"Great People to work with and good benefits"

"Very Rewarding,, Good Pay,, Off during the summer"

Cons

Limited resources

Over sized classrooms

Lack of support staff

Teacher turn over and burn out during the year
Personalities and individual Politics changed the positive atmosphere in the department.

Prior to private interference staff worked together as teams to get all projects completed.

The overall experience was fantastic.
I had the pleasure of working with mentally challenged students with special needs, the feeling of knowing that I made a difference in each student that I came in contact with.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chicago Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.5
InHerSight Score
2.2Personal Development
3.4Career Opportunities
2.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight