Chicago Public Schools Employee Reviews

Found 1,283 reviews matching the search See all 1,284 reviews
High Demands and Accountability/ Low Supports
Central Office Staff (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 14, 2019
CPS does not have a good work life balance. Every aspect of your work is required to be connected back to student achievement, which would be a good thing if your position directly supports students or teachers. Where it becomes more challenging is when your job does not directly support school principals, students, or teachers, but yet your level of success is evaluated based on school performance. Most managers who supervise people in these roles don’t understand that. Most managers also do not have the capacity to coach or train their employees to do/better or improve. Often times they make suggestions to improve but can’t support you, because they themselves need support. People at central office are rude and very competitive, there is no team collaboration. It feels like more of a race to get something done so that people can get recognition for a task they complete, rather than the idea of convergence. The upside is that the pay is competitive but the long hours and amount of tasks can make it unbalanced. People are attracted to CPS for the name and not the environment. The culture, climate, and morale at CPS is low because of the pressure to perform well at any cost including tearing people down, bullying, and pressure from those in power.
Pros
competitive salary, weekends off
Cons
low morale, bullying, too much pressure to meet unrealistic goals, high accountability and low support
Chicago Public Schools Nurse
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 12, 2019
Productive workplace with job security and flexibility. As a parent I was able to work as a nurse Monday- Friday with weekends and holidays off. This was a incentive as it made possible for me to have time with my children, and the privilege of spending holidays at home with my family. Something nurses never have the pleasure of enduring because the duties are 24hrs a day, 7 days a week.
Pros
Thanksgiving Winter Break, Spring Break, Summer Break, and holidays off with pay
Cons
As a LPN limited room for growth
Great Large Urban District
Chief of Schools (Area Superintendent) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 11, 2019
CPS has proven that improvements can occur in the largest settings. Despite multiple changes in leadership, the district has continued to make great impact on students learning.
Chicago Public Schools has great opportunities for promotion.
Porter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60602February 11, 2019
Working with Chicago Public School was a good opportunity to further my food service experience in a educational environment. Working with grade school students was new experience for me.
Benefits
Cons
No Payment during summer break
Great
ESP (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 8, 2019
I liked working at CPS. Pay was good, kept a roof over my head... Could give you more hours but over all I would work there again. Really not a bad job
Teaching in Chicago was a very fast Paced environmen
Art Teacher and humanities (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 7, 2019
Because Chicago public schools are in some very tough neighborhoods at times it was very hard to get children to focus they missed many days of school due to lots of different reasons that wasn’t always illness was much of it was very much of a challenge and at the time I enjoyed being there
Pros
Students enjoyed the subject
Cons
Students enjoyed the subjectIt was hard to get children to focus
Very stressful
ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  south sideFebruary 5, 2019
Not a nice place to work. Very stressful. The management is politically motivated and care nothing about the students in the system. The students are miseducated and given nothing to hope for.
Love the kids
Cook and LRA (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 5, 2019
I Love kids and my co workers was fun to work with,the kids made my day seeing their smiles when they walk in the lunchroom and they all call me their Auntie
Professional Verses NonProfessional
Teacher Assistant/Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 1, 2019
Overall CPS is a great place to work, salary is ok. My problem is that if you are not a certificated employee you are not respected as being nobody, I don't care if you have a doctors degree,no respects you as being no body. I was blessed to get hired because my last principal was fair and actually went through her resumes and was honest with her interviewing. Most of the jobs listed on the web site are already filled so you in up applying for many jobs that you never get interviewed for. I needed a job and took the first job offered to me and have applied for 600 or more jobs, and have received less then 5 interviews. I am stuck in this no win position. Also everyone is under the age of 50 most being under 40 so if you are a mature adult they look at you as being old and think you can't handle the kids. I am so sad. If you send the principals a nice letter or email they do not even give you the respect of answering you even with a lie. Good luck if you are over 50 looking for a job or how a degree without any certification. And there are tons of jobs that do not require certification but good luck with getting one..
Pros
salary
Cons
no respect as a para professional
Stress and anxiety
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 30, 2019
This was not a healthy nor safe work environment. Not all schools in CPS are like the school where I worked but I would not recommend working in CPS.

There were no consequences for students and no assistance in overcrowded classrooms. No support for the teachers and admin barely present.There are no materials for teachers and we have to by pretty much every thing out of pocket.

Want to know more about Chicago Public Schools?

Ask a question
Good job to learn customer service skills
Early Childhood Support (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 30, 2019
Working for Cps can help you learn many new skills. It takes time and patience to do many different tasks, and still maintain a pleasant attitude. If you are a people person, then working for Cps is a good ift for you.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
no benefits
Good entry level experience for aspiring teachers
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 29, 2019
Working at CPS was a great experience. The staff went out of their way to help you. Training and raises were easy to obtain, if you wanted it. Good👌!
Pros
Supportive environment.
Cons
Bad food, some non teaching staff were very unprofessional and rude.
Nice environment
SAFE PASSAGE (Former Employee) –  CHICAGO ILLJanuary 28, 2019
I love working with children and socializing with the parents in the area I do recommend people that love children to work for cps. I stood outside to ensure safe routes for students to and from school and also safety of students in the community
Pros
Very nice job children love me
Cons
I dont miss standing in the cold
Experienced and Adaptable
Payroll Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 26, 2019
Adaptable, dependable, strong organizational skills, excellent interpersonal, customer relations. Experienced in multi-tasking in a variety of settings.
It was ok
Associate Lunchroom Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 25, 2019
The employees were lazy, management was just okay. The students were what made the day interesting. Hardest part was making sure the employees were on time and at work.
Very good company to work for.
Lead Custodian (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 22, 2019
Very good company to work for, also place for advancement in the company. Also co-workers are very nice to work with and very friendly. I as a employee in 1978 as a porter from there following year went to custodian work until 1996. Came back in 2009 as a custodian the following year I became a lead-custodian also going to class to receive my stationary engineer license. My father got ill in 2014 which I had to resigned.
Pros
work advancement
Cons
If Principle dont like you your gone.
Enjoy working with the keverydayids
Special Ed. Classroom Asst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 21, 2019
Good time to start and finish work. Room for growth.. New management likes to come and clean house. They put children first and care for them their well being.
Pros
Get time off when kids are out of school
Cons
Not working in the summer time
I enjoyed working for cps mostly all work place has there ups and downs but I went to work everyday doing what I had to do and went home
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 21, 2019
The Chicago public school system had a lot of people working for them that was there for the benefits and check and over looked the people that was there to work and get the job done and didn't take off work unless it was an extreme emergency
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
Just to be able to work
Good to help the children
Substitute Special ED Classroom Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 20, 2019
I've worked for CPS for 3 years now. I enjoy working with the kids to help stimulate educational growth. I enjoy the environment and staff is easy to work with.
Management became less productive over the past 5 years
Administrator/HR Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 18, 2019
Most of the Directors have no clue of many of the departments that were under their leadership, which lead to many lawsuits, and lack of available classroom coverage
Pros
The ability to be of assistance to the students
Cons
Lack of room for advancement within many departments

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chicago Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight