Chicago State University Employee Reviews

Informative environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 17, 2019
Working at Chicago State, I was surrounded by very knowledgeable people. They taught me about Grant's, books to read, and what to expect as a veteran entering back into the civilian workforce.
Pros
Free advice
Cons
The randoms hours. There was no structure.
Good Atmosphere
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 4, 2019
Chicago State University has a great atmosphere for students who like to party. I think most students enjoy the many parties that are offered to them during the course of the year.
Pros
Students will always have a party to attend
Cons
not enough study time
Excellent School
Health Information Management Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 31, 2019
Great school. Staff is very helpful and caring. They help navigate you through your college experience ensuring that you have all the tools you need to be successful.
it was a lovely place to work
sub foreman (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 28, 2019
I would go 2 work pull garbage clean all my restrooms dust mop all my floors .I taught a lot of people on how 2 work a lot of the machine. the hardest part is retire.the most enjoyable part is the people I love the people I work with and the people that when to the univ.
Pros
i love working there but want to try something new
Cons
no cons
Nice Environment
Algebra Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 15, 2019
A great environment that fosters teamwork, dedication, and commitment. The University has faculty who are tremendously committed to the overall success of the student/worker
Adjunct professor
Adjunct faculty (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 11, 2019
I worked part-time but I did have several classes that I taught. Left in 1997. I taught Criminal Justice and Sociology courses. This was not my primary job. My tenure was one come for the course I was teaching the leave.
Pros
Not applicable
Cons
Not applicable
Comfortable Work Environment
WORK STUDY STUDENT (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 2, 2019
It was easy to find a manageable work schedule that coincided with my class schedule. The staff there was friendly and helpful. The office environment was also suitable for me to complete daily tasks and homework assignments at the same time.
Pros
Negotiable work hours
It is educative
Dosage Forms Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  9501 S King Drive, Chicago, IL 60628March 28, 2019
My typical day at work is usually during lab period which is once a week. I learned to assist my lecturer in setting up the Dosage lab experiment and assist the students during lab.
Pros
Educative
Cons
Short break
Its okay
Parking Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 26, 2019
Chicago State is a great place to work and they are trying to remain successful for the student and the community that they serve. I believe they are on the right track towards future success.
Negative
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 11, 2019
This University is very negative. Management wants to rule by fair and want people to be "yes men". The culture is toxic. People go there to retire and not do work.
good atmosphire
support admin for university Moodle (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 6, 2019
fun working place good place for working and learning new technologies with good staff support. Also i learned lot of things time management and how we have to deal with new things
Pros
supportive staff
Cons
short break
Pleasant workplace, nice grounds.
Licensure Counselor, Graduate Advisor (Former Employee) –  College of EducationMarch 4, 2019
Collaborative and professional environment. Friendly co-workers. Chicago State was founded as a teacher preparation college and remains today as one of the best institutions for teacher preparation. It also hosts an excellent athletics program and attracts excellent students interested in a variety of sports.
Pros
Paid holidays
Cons
Union
Student nursing experience
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 3, 2019
My student nursing experience was challenging, interesting, fun and lots of hard work. We were paired with a clinical instructor who would take us on different units and teach us various clinical skills. Our typical work shift was 8 hours. We would then meet during our shift to talk about what we learned as a group and process our days.
Pros
Great learning opportunity
Nepotism and Cronyism
IT Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 25, 2019
Chicago State University is the text book definition of Nepotism and Cronyism. The University is poorly ran! If you're not family or friends with the big wigs don't expect to go to far, CSU is a cesspool of incompetence. Check out CSU Faculty Blog outlines the Universities shenanigans. http://csufacultyvoice.blogspot.com/2015/02/here-comes-another-crony-hire-wayne.html
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Nepotism and Cronyism
Good Enviorment
Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 21, 2019
I'm a work-study student, so its a good environment, good management and good people. it's a fun place to be, but I have other responsibilities that are lacking because of low pay.
Pros
good fun and good people
Cons
low pay
Res
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 11, 2019
Working at Chicago State was a great experience, it help prepared to move on to the next stages in life. I learned that communication is key. Management works well with all departments, helping students have a structured college experience was the goal of management.
The culture was very humble, free-spirited, and overall welcoming. Being able to participate in research students for the government was an amazing learning experience.
Work study For College Students.
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 23, 2019
Unexpectedly I Have Decieded to start a Family So Getting a new job is a must for me I Have a child on the way so taking a break from school and find a job is my plan. Building some work experience and developing new skill to a point where I can help the company Thrive.
Pros
Study time computer
Cons
No support
Fun productive fast paced you have a lot to do and you learn how to it effectively.
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 22, 2019
Overall depending on what department you work in your experience will vary but in my experience I got a lot of work early and not a lot of guidelines on how to do it. It works very well for some but others suffer burn out.
Pros
Learning and growing is fun and tangible
Cons
Large workload little pay off
Hidden Jewel
Senior Associate Director of Athletics (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 11, 2019
Chicago State University has much potential; however, the political corruption surrounding the administration has given this institution a very bad reputation.
Pros
Beautiful City and great co-workers
Cons
High turnover and financial instability
A pleasure to use my foreign language studies to help others!
Foreign Language Tutor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 3, 2019
The university offered this position in collaboration with school studies and schedule. Management was very supportive and more than willing to accommodate work schedule with hours of study. Enjoyed assisting other students with tutoring in the foreign language department and administration with clerical duties. Enjoyed building a collaborative relationship with students and staff who benefit from my foreign language and administrative experience. Most of all, a rewarding feeling when learned of student academic improvement because of my assistance and their persistence! The workplace culture in our department was one of inclusiveness, appreciation and respect in a diverse learning environment.
Pros
Gained experience and knowledge in foreign language studies.
Cons
Unstable funding for programs