Chicago State University

Chicago State University Employee Reviews

United States228 reviews
I enjoyed the job, but it was a job for students of the university. Being a graduate requires I find a new and better career. The university helped me learn management skills and time management skills that will be useful for me in the future.
Pros
flexible
Cons
low pay
The university is making a drastic change but still fail to bring the wrong managers to change the culture, It don't happen overnight. The situation CSU was in it takes 5-10 years to completely turn it around.
CSU has a very inclusive and diverse work environment. It is very team oriented and supportive. I enjoyed working here and management is very supportive as well. Management is not overbearing.
This job gives me a purpose for now until I graduate with my master's. I have learned a lot in this position, professional and mental. I learn how to install some computer units, also unlock, enable, disable, or reset accounts.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Great experience interacting with the public this place was very helpful. some courses were difficult as I was a student there but working with others help me build my skills.
My coworkers and immediate supervisors are supportive and student centered. The higher-ups are crooked and abuse their power and the school's budget. The president, at the time of my employment, filled upper level positions with unqualified women (some who didn't even have bachelor degrees) he had relations with.
Working at Chicago state university was very educational in maintainace performing a professional work ethic in the craftsmanship learn experience on hand running bulls stripping waxing and general knowledge of cleaning
Didn't have a good experience at Chicago State. The environment was toxic and unbearable. I wouldn't recommend working there for long periods of time.
Being able to see different sports everyday was fun. Taking pictures, video, interviews were soe of the great things that happened during my career as a Sports Information Assistant
I have been here for 18 1/2 years in the same position. I have seen people come and go. I work in the Engineering Studies Department. We operate 3 programs out of our office. Collegiate Students, Prematriculation Students (incoming freshman) and Prep Program Students (6-12) graders. The office is like grand central station. It is a typical college day. There is a lot of interaction with administrators, students, faculty and the general population. My office basically serve as the information office for Harold Washington Hall and the entire University. I am a know it all. And if I do not know I can make a call and find out.
Excellent leaning objectives, able to study, work and learn the employment objectives. I learned more about different books at Chicago State Library. I met a lot of student at Chicago State Library, I worked in a lot of the library events.
Do not go work there, they literally work you to death. There SID died because they worked him to death. In competent people who are not professional.
I want to move on from working on a contract terms. And after working as a Finance, Statistics and a Production Management Professor at Chicago State on contract basis, it is time to move on.
I have worked in Indiana Michigan and several other schools in Chicago this one has poor leadership. You really can’t advance unless you have a Doctorate and a lot of backstabbing.
My assessment is based upon my experiences over 40 years ago. I enjoyed the cohesiveness of employees at every level. Academic and non academic. All worked toward providing a good and healthy study environment and positive support for students
Pros
Free education
Cons
Low wages
+Great place to learn to skills, Taking courses for my BSN. Classes are informative with excellent teaching instructors. Material for study are in handouts and lecture.
Conducive environment to work. An opportunity to get started before your the real world. The management teams are easy to get along with and relatable.
Poor work environment in the athletic department. Went through 4 Athletic Directors, and 2 University President changes. Poor funding, no support from management
I learned how to be patient with staff and students. If I couldn't solve a problem I directed them to the appropriate person. The hardst part of the job was with learning how to calm a person down so that I could help them better. My most enjoyable part of the job is being able to solve a problem and successfully help a person with their problem. Their gratitude overwhelmed me with joy!
The greatest asset to CSU is all who work there try to work collaboratively for the students. Though some of the processes need improvements, the overall goal of providing students to a quality education is the priority.
The University has had five presidents in the past twelve years, which keeps the school in a state of flux. The current president sounds promising, but the jury is still out on her performance overall (too early to tell). Due to the previous Governor withholding the state budget for over a year, we have lost crucial faculty, and are struggling to regain losses in student enrollment. This means everyone must wear multiple hats.
On the plus side, I have learned a lot there. I have had opportunities to teach different subject areas, which has expanded my skill set. Our department is filled with highly skilled and talented people, although we are stretched rather thin due to lack of numbers. I hope that the school can regain ground, because it serves a crucial function in our community.
Pros
Freedom to develop new courses, try out new skills
Cons
Low profile as a department; struggle for visibility and respect