Chicago Transit Authority Employee Reviews

Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 17, 2018
CTA is a very discipline, structure company. If you're not a mature person this is not the place for you. If you are serious that position allows you to achieve what you want and provide for your family. The hardest part of the job is getting to work on time. My typical day starts at 3:30 am I truly enjoy that shift. If you're not a morning person its not for you. Sometime you can encounter difficult passengers but, most of the time they are pleasant. Try your best not to see management for anything. Hardest part of the job is where the route has construction and it requires a reroute. (which they usually provide).
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
HTC trust
Bus operator/Clerk
office clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 16, 2018
One of the best jobs to work without having a college degree. If one can follow S.O.P's and stick with them, it can be a wonderful way to provide for family.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Dangerous sometimes.
Fun atmosphere plenty to do on breaks,ping pong,t.v.vending machines,computers to use,clean bathrooms,showers,and just an overall good experience
Cro/combined rail operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago illSeptember 7, 2018
For the most part cta taught and trained me for a position i never thought about having,during the training process u were very nervous and dint know from day to day if you would pass,but they made you comfortably and secure enough so you would continue on and not quit,even though some did quit the majority that stayed did well and ended up doing many good years,they made me a better person taught me patience and gave me pride and abled me to hold my head high,provided a healthy environment for me to be able to support myself and my family provided me with insurances and vacations and created many life long friends along the way.it was a very trying experience along the way but well worth it in the end because i was able to retire with future benifits for myself.
Pros
Free rides on all major transportation for life
Cons
Healthcare
Very slow paced environment
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 4, 2018
I enjoyed working at the Chicago Transit Authority but was driving 5 hours a day to and from work which lead to long work days and not having much family time
Ok
Bus servicer (Current Employee) –  77th street garageAugust 29, 2018
It's a ok job for a person with no life and kids really. CTA has changed from back in the day and u really loose out and miss out in life with them but its an ok job
Pros
Free bus ride 401k and 457 is pretty good
Cons
Social life is drained
chicago Transit Authority
Flagman (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 27, 2018
No work/life balace.
Very hostile work environment.
Management does nothing to stop drama.
Written up for absolutely anything.
Too much drama.
not worth it
Pros
free CTA rides
Cons
drama
Productive workplace
Internship (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 27, 2018
It was great to see what they can do. It was also great to meet knew people and get a free train pass. It was truly a great great great great great great experience.
my overall experience
VARIOUS POSITIONS (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 23, 2018
My overall experience at CTA was being able to work with such great people and having the opportunity to work my way up to becoming a manager disciplining 30 + employees.
Pros
benifits, vacations, salary.
Cons
hours, locations, management
A wonderful experience
Switchman (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 22, 2018
A very challenging opportunity to acquire knowledge pertaining to railroad rules and regulations and also connecting people to jobs and communities what a awesome experience!
Pros
Free rides
Cons
No free lunch
Decent place to work.
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 21, 2018
Enjoyed working with my clients and co-workers. The pay was decent and the benefits were good. My last management team was great to work for/with. The most important aspect of the job was having a happy client. Knowing that my efforts were successful.
Pros
Free riding pass
Cons
Infrequent raises; no bonuses
There is a lot to learn at CTA and you should not be penalized before you know how to do the job properly
Bus Servicer Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 18, 2018
CJ is not a bag company it cares about his employees it has been a fits you work hard and you work daily and you're out in elements and in Chicago that is not an easy feat there should be more leniency when it comes to learning or still learning the rules
Daily operations
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 17, 2018
Operated a bus over an established route .Adhering to predetermined schedule in a safe, efficient and courteous manner to allow passengers to board travel and alight at scheduled stops.
Ensured that customers deposit only appropriate coins and bills into fare-box, exercising all of the Standard Operating Procedures, including contacting the Control Center whenever a problem threatened the safety of myself and passengers.
Mostly clean break room
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 15, 2018
Work day is busy, learned what not to do, management is just ok, culture and moral are poor, hardest part of the job is the job of being a driver, nothing enjoyable about the job as an operator
Pros
Decent pay after being employed for a while
Cons
Doing the job with the dealings of the public
not flexable
Customer Service Assistant/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 11, 2018
I am looking for another job because there is no room for growth and no benefits working part time. I would not recommend anyone for the jobs at cta
Must be able to multitask.
Bus Operator/Line Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 2, 2018
Hectic schedule and long hours. working with the public can be very taxing and unpredictable. Busy areas and sometimes dangerous neighborhoods so you really have to be focused while on duty.
productive and fun work place
Bus Servicer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 30, 2018
productive and fun work environment, most employees are fun to work with, others are lazy, they come to work and expect not to do anything. Opportunity to grow.
Pros
Opportunity to grow
Cons
becareful not to inj
Safety
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 26, 2018
I enjoy working with people. My number goal is safety. Good service that the customer can rely on. Be on time as much traffic allows me to be.
I like to see people smile because of good service.
Pros
Not sure
Cons
Not sure
Cta
Part Time Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 15, 2018
Pre-Trip; 8 hours with the paying customer or ridership and communication with people throughout a day or night...Its exciting yet safety is the number one goal;
Pros
Great Benefits
Re
Car Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 6, 2018
It was a lot fun and you meet a lot of people to hang with n Compensate you just chill also u learn a lot of new things and Techniques That won’t nobody else takes over
Pros
Free rides
Cons
Short breaks
Fun work place
Bus operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 29, 2018
I Enjoyed working for CTA because it gave me a chance to meet new people.The pay and benefits we're excellent.When I first started there the Managers believed in helping you keep your job and with any problems you may have encountered.But its not that way now it's much easier to loose your job there now.
Pros
Making your own schedule
Cons
The rules wasn't for the employees.