Chicago Transit Authority Employee Reviews

productive and fun work place
bus operator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 17, 2019
fun and productive work enviroment very interesting place to work wish i could retire from here, you have 4 hour breaks for lunch and the climate is always mellow
Wonderful place to work
Administrative Manager/Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 16, 2019
I worked here for about 20 years. I learned so much about myself working at the CTA. It was hands down my favorite job every. There are countless opportunities here.
Pros
Salary
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Kedzie Garage / Chicago,ilJanuary 12, 2019
CTA was a great place to work. Within the short period of time I was employed with them, I attained a lot of useful skills. I can honestly say, I actually enjoyed working with my co-workers and customers I like to interact with people, and I love driving.
Pros
family-like environment
Cons
being stationed at different garages
Exciting
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 11, 2019
My first time driving a vehicle other than a car was so exciting. It is a very fast paced environment. You have to be very attentive of you surroundings.
Hard work
Bus Servicer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 9, 2019
I liked working at CTA sometimes sometimes I didn’t butover all it was a good job I just so happened to get injured so therefore I could no longer do my job which I didn’t got hurt
But it happened
Pros
Good benefits and pay
Cons
A fun place to work.There is room for advancement.In some ways, like a military atmosphere.
Signal Helper/Rail Janitor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 4, 2019
It was a great place to work. I had a chance to meet so many different people from different backgrounds. This job took me places I never I be.If it wasn t for my health issues I would still be there.
Pros
great pay and great benefits.Most of the supervisors professional and kwoledgeable.
Cons
No sick days and you are expected to work in adverse weather conditions.
Bus driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 4, 2019
Drive bus on a asigned route picking up and dropping off passengers on marked stops along route, meeting good people and also some rude ones over all its a very good job
Pros
Meet new and interesting people
Cons
Dealing with some rude people
productive and fun workplace with co workers
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 20, 2018
great place to work and grow inside the company but the scheduling is a bit difficult if you have a family over all it has great pay a great retirement and good benefits
Cta life
Train Operator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 19, 2018
A typical work day at CTA is up and down. Things can go from smooth to hectic in a blink of an eye. I learned to always be attentive of everything and everyone around me. The management is out to write up its employees of any and everything. The hardest part of the job is staying stress free from the other employees and customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is the customers who smile and speak, especially the kids.
Pros
down time
Cons
unpaid swing shifts and unpaid short lunch breaks
BUILDING OPERATING ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 18, 2018
The CTA was a great experience. My team and I managed and operated all major mechanical systems including but not limited to the boiler systems, Building Automation Systems,HVAC systems. and we were responsible for all Fire Life Safety equipment.
Pros
Good pay and hours
Cons
A lot of properties need major improvements in order to keep them up to code.
Very stressful. Operators safety was not really good .
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 17, 2018
The CTA Bus Operator job is not for everyone. Our personal safety was a daily issue. You can be cursed out on a daily basis, and threaten with physical violence.
Cta
SENIOR TALENT ACQUISITION SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 10, 2018
CTA is awesome in the sense that it serves the city of Chicago and the wonderful people in it. There are exceptionally talented people who work for the CTA and for the most part everyone is very friendly and easy to get along with. However too often people get bogged down by the red tape that happens with most government jobs. Unlike the private sector, sometimes you have to jump through hoops to get anything accomplished which can be difficult. If you work at headquarters, chances are there will be a flexible schedule which is enjoyable.
Pros
Flexible work schedules.
Cons
upper management
Like the company let you can get your hours an overtime
Car Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 28, 2018
Like the company they give people second chance with life moving forward your co-workers is a okay to work with and much more it's a good company to work and building a life you need to for your family
Productive competive
Bus Operator (CDL) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 28, 2018
Its a wonderfully flawed job. The employees are treated more like robots. Real life situations are expected to be handled like simulations and when there not its usual blamed on the employee. they do pay well and if your life has a lot of freedom you will be able to manage all of the demands of CTA.
Pros
Free bus pass
Cons
job security.
Good plsce to start a career
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 26, 2018
The Chicago Transit Authority has been good to me.The management was great. And the bus instructors who taught me how to drive were excellent.. Each and every work day I learned something new at the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-workers smd meeting all types of people.. The hardest part of the job was retiring.
Pros
Promotion opportunities
Cons
Hard to turn down overtime.
Stressful and serious management issues.
BUS OPERATOR, CHICAGO TRANSIT AUTHORITY (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 21, 2018
Years ago (many) this was the job to have, excellent benefits, and a great union. Now it's not the same and has been that way for sometime now. Their is a very noticeable disconnect between workers that work at headquarters and the workers out in the field.
Pros
Free rides
Cons
7.5 to 8 hr work day with a 3 to 4 hour lunch smh....
Legal Department
Torts Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 21, 2018
CTA is a good place to work for. I enjoyed the people I worked with; however, it is a very demanding and very stressful. The company as a whole is truly focused on safety and every employee working to improve that mission.
Pros
Offers discounts, and free transportation
Cons
No training program for new employees
Excellent pay
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60636November 20, 2018
A typical day at work is pulling out a bus and dealing with all walks of life. I enjoy meeting new people and greeting everyone with a smile, we are required to request the fare and to make sure I follow all the S.O.P's on the job.
Pros
Uniform Allowance, Pension
Hard Word Unappreciated atmosphere
Laborer (SWAP Leader) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 20, 2018
Long days away from family with out adequate pay to compensate for the time away. The work environment was stressful to say the least. Having full time work is great, but not being treated as a individual is not.
Pros
Full time work
Cons
You are just a number.
Good an Great Place To Work
Bus Operator (servicer-CTA) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 16, 2018
Good And Great Place To Work But It Takes You Along time To Move up And also Takes Away From Families although they are a great company but not for most
Pros
Benefits and Great co-workers
Cons
Odd Hours of working