Chicago Transit Authority Pay & Benefits reviews

Unbalanced
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 3, 2019
The hours are all over the place but if you can stick in there for a few years it slowly gets better you will barely have a life outside of cta, depending on which garage you're at management might suck overall it's good pay sometimes
Not worth it
BUS OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 22, 2019
Starting out at CTA your hours are unpredictable and most likely will be overnight for a few months. They use you when they need you. There is no room for mistakes, management isn't lenient at all. The pay is great, and you can pick up extra work. The insurance isn't that great. If you are a laid back person, like me, don't apply for bus operator. I'm looking for a new job now. Dealing with the public and dealing with CTA customers are completely different. Dealing with disrespect everyday is tiring and not worth it.
Pros
Money
Cons
healthcare, customers, scrutinty from management
Not what you think
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 17, 2019
Poor management. Poor pay. Very few growth opportunities. Medical benefits are bad. No pto or sick days. No work/life balance. Stressful. No company support.
Cons
No longer a great company to work for
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 13, 2019
Once upon a time CTA was considered a great company to work for, but like most companies they began to relax their standards on the type of applicants they'd interview and eventually hire. Given that the company went through a complete overhaul, it's not shocking that the overall cache they once possessed that made them a top company to work for is now gone. They don't pay very well and their benefits package leaves much to be desired. If you're looking for a company that you'll use as a stepping stone to something greater, you could do a lot worse than CTA, they just aren't the company they once were
Pros
Fast paced environment, rarely bored
Cons
Poor Pay, not great benefits
Career choice
Operator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 10, 2019
Great place to work and grow within the company the pay is excellent I love CTA but there are so many different fees taking out your check so the hours you work it do t reflect to you pay
Great company to work for
Maintenance Manager, bus (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 18, 2019
I've been employed with the Authority for 12 years and counting. It's a great career. You can raise a family with the pay earned. Job has health and dental insurance.
Great place
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60606April 1, 2019
Your end game if you get you foot in the door keep it there if rough at first but stick with it and everything is great you can’t beat it paid well yeah it stressful but it gets better
Pros
Pay retirement
Cons
Long days
Its a great place
Legal Assistant to Managing Partners (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 26, 2019
Hard working team of lawyers and assistant and other staff dealing with public transportation system, Transportation systems to get people connecting to their jobs, and other destinations in a timely and safely.
Poor Management
Bus Operator/Road Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60644March 26, 2019
This place is a mess just go and talk to 100 bus operators and see what they tell you. Management is no good. Your not paid what your supposed to be paid because of the Health Care Trust.
Pros
Cons
Stress
This is not everyone
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 18, 2019
I enjoyed learning how to drive these heavy and long vehicles. the aspects of what cta wants is a tall demand so if you have kids and no family support it will be difficult to fulfill the demands. Otherwise great company
Pros
benifits
Cons
wants you there all day long/
Very stressfull yet rewarding position
High Speed Data Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 8, 2019
CTA was a great place to work. Over the course of 7 years I received multiple raises and promotions. Microsoft Office was essential to doing my job in a timely manner.
highly stressful
rail controller (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 23, 2019
Highly stressful job and the pay would be great if they did not take almost half your check for multiple cost for the company, union, retired employees etc.
fun workplace
HVAC Technician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60651February 18, 2019
great enivorment to work in. Enjoy my coworkers and managers. great benefits. Love the customers and atmosphere of the company. the hours are a little crazy but I have adjusted.
productive and fun work place
bus operator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 17, 2019
fun and productive work enviroment very interesting place to work wish i could retire from here, you have 4 hour breaks for lunch and the climate is always mellow
Wonderful place to work
Administrative Manager/Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 16, 2019
I worked here for about 20 years. I learned so much about myself working at the CTA. It was hands down my favorite job every. There are countless opportunities here.
Pros
Salary
Hard work
Bus Servicer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 9, 2019
I liked working at CTA sometimes sometimes I didn’t butover all it was a good job I just so happened to get injured so therefore I could no longer do my job which I didn’t got hurt
But it happened
Pros
Good benefits and pay
Cons
A fun place to work.There is room for advancement.In some ways, like a military atmosphere.
Signal Helper/Rail Janitor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 4, 2019
It was a great place to work. I had a chance to meet so many different people from different backgrounds. This job took me places I never I be.If it wasn t for my health issues I would still be there.
Pros
great pay and great benefits.Most of the supervisors professional and kwoledgeable.
Cons
No sick days and you are expected to work in adverse weather conditions.
productive and fun workplace with co workers
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 20, 2018
great place to work and grow inside the company but the scheduling is a bit difficult if you have a family over all it has great pay a great retirement and good benefits
Stressful and serious management issues.
BUS OPERATOR, CHICAGO TRANSIT AUTHORITY (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 21, 2018
Years ago (many) this was the job to have, excellent benefits, and a great union. Now it's not the same and has been that way for sometime now. Their is a very noticeable disconnect between workers that work at headquarters and the workers out in the field.
Pros
Free rides
Cons
7.5 to 8 hr work day with a 3 to 4 hour lunch smh....
Legal Department
Torts Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 21, 2018
CTA is a good place to work for. I enjoyed the people I worked with; however, it is a very demanding and very stressful. The company as a whole is truly focused on safety and every employee working to improve that mission.
Pros
Offers discounts, and free transportation
Cons
No training program for new employees