Chicago Tribune Employee Reviews

Loved it!
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 17, 2018
I was with Chicago Tribune for 20+ years it is a fast paced environment but none stressful. We were all like family reason why I lasted so many years.
Not employee centered, production and cost obsessed
Skills and Abilities - Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 23, 2018
Ran three shifts with short breaks and strict confines.
I learned contract mgmt., data mgmt., usually understaffed.
Management was uninvolved except for cost savings.
Culture was bland, slow, not employee centered.
Worst parts of the job. Obsessed with cost savings, downsized good ideas like a centralized finance center.
I can't really think of any enjoyable parts of the job. There was a little advancement available in the past, no longer.
Pros
Used to get free Cubs tickets.
Cons
short breaks, not employee centered, poor culture
fast-paced newspaper environment
Digital and print copy editor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 17, 2018
Some really good people on a foundering ship. Top management spoke in jargon, was secretive, as the business struggled. All concern for stockholdrers, not workers.
It is a fun place to work
Driver Route/Relay (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 14, 2018
A typical work day starts about 2 am. it can be very fast paced some days. I've learned to prioritize as well as organize and to rely on interpersonal and customer service skills for a smooth operation throughout the day
Pros
Pay
Cons
Work Hours
Freelance Writer (Former Employee) –  Worked remotely from homeApril 9, 2018
I enjoyed my time with the Tribune Local Pages and would be there still, but the freelancers (who used to be called stringers) handling regular columns were let go when the Tribune acquired Pioneer Press and their staffers were already providing the columns, like the police blotter, that the freelancers were doing. Instead of duplicating this, the freelancers were let go.

The editor was good, helpful and understanding when various police departments didn't have their blotters in as early as we would have liked. I enjoyed working for her. She was able to allow me to work remotely and even ocassionally used me on feature articles that I could get to and cover for her, or cover remotely by phone.

It was a very good job experience that I wish could have continued.
Pros
Abillity to work remotely and ability to cover stories in person where possible.
Cons
The job ended when a chain of weeklies was purchased.
Management worked hard to create a family and fun atmosphere
Advertising Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 6, 2018
The sales management made an effort to make work fun while working with very tight deadlines and aggressive goals. The vision could be revamped to start looking toward the distant future rather than weekly or quarterly.
Pros
Good managers
Cons
Short term goals with no vision for the future
Journalism is a tough industry
Reporter, metro department (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 4, 2018
I would have thought working at the Chicago Tribune would be my dream job -- that once I got there I would have stayed for my entire career. But with layoffs, curious business decision-making and the fact that I was about start a family, it no longer seemed like a responsible option for employee for me.
Fast Paced
Packaging Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 3, 2018
It taught me to be very fast paced and totally understand what it likes to be in a very fast paced environment. Very quick paced and diligent place to be when you want the workday to end quickly
Pros
fast paced
Cons
low wage
Constantly bus
Production Supervisor - Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2018
A typical day is when production is completed on time and does not impact 2nd and 3rd shifts production runs. All the employees comes to work and is ready to work.
Pros
Employees incentives (bonuses)
Cons
No management raises
door to door sales
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILMarch 26, 2018
I learned a lot about how to give a sales pitch and how to close a sales deal. I would recommend this job for anyone who is looking into the sales profession.
Hard job
USA Today and Barrington Courier News (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 26, 2018
This was a job delivering newspapers every morning. You have to be willing to get up at 1:00 a.m. everyday no mater the weather. Can be a dangerous job.
Pros
Extra income
Cons
Very demanding.
Great Job that slowly became not-so-great
Produder, data visualization for web and print (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 17, 2018
Worked at the Tribune for 20 years. The work was fast-paced and always interesting. Great co-workers and team environment. Company began struggling several years ago, due to declining revenues. Constant layoffs, and constant changes made the environment increasingly toxic. There is a clear rift between upper management, shareholders and the workers,. Not many opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Good pay, great projects, great co-workers
Cons
Upper management, revenue issues, Layoffs all the time, Typically don't promote from within
works well if you are a bit older and dont have young kids
Caffees News Agency Individual Contractor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ILMarch 15, 2018
I didnt really enjoy it. Had to be up by 3 am papers were rarely on time you had no days off you delivered 365 days a year. You trash your vehicle you spend so much money on gas and upkeep on the vehicle you get nothing back for taxes the 1099 is terrible it helps when your in a bind for money but i wouldnt reccomend it for a full time job
Productive and fast pace
Executive Assistant to VP of Interactive (Former Employee) –  chicagoMarch 12, 2018
completing travel, checking email, proof materials , creating agendas, completing powerpoint decks, org charts, ordering cell phones, assist new hires /transfers etc

I learned a lot about our company goals and needs and while attending meetings .

the culture was fast pace always something new going on regarding projects.

communication sometimes was a little slow to the people that needed to be informed.

The most enjoyable part of my job was working for the company period it was a good experience i learned a lot.
Pros
attended lots of events
Cons
na
Productive work environment
Executive Assistant to SVP Marketing & Niche Media (Former Employee) –  ChicagoMarch 12, 2018
A Typical day for me would be checking emails, calendars, scheduling meeting, answering calls, making travel arrangements, managing attendance, adding time in the kronos system, completing expenses. and reserving conference rooms. I'm also responsible for all machines within department for example ordering and setting up cell phones, trouble shooting fax machines and printers, working with outside vendors also.

The culture was fast and you may have to train yourself on new programs or systems.

I would say the hardest part of my job would have been if someone would not share new information in a timely manner.

The most enjoyable part would have been just being able to work on so many different projects and connecting with so many people not only in the building but from our other locations. Being able to connect with other Assistants and giving each other advice or just helping each other on projects.
Pros
Good place to work and meet so many different people and having many opportunities
Cons
Company going through so many changes
Failing Industry
confidential (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 26, 2018
Management focused on themselves rather than the good of the company

The product plays a key role for the city and it is great to be part of that. There are many talented people but too few employees to get the job done correctly
Pros
Great Product
Cons
Poor leadership
Terrible place to be a contract writer
Freelance Music Critic (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 22, 2018
If you were writing a review for them, you would have to meet print and online deadlines simultaneously. This meant, say, driving to Tinley Park, seeing a show, driving back to Evanston, then writing and uploading review. Time spent: Approximately five-six hours. Pay: $200 per article for someone who had been a daily music critic for more than 20 years. Had the same level of experience as the paper's full-time critic but this didn't affect my compensation in any way.

Management: see above. Very uncommunicative.

Workplace culture: the smell of unhappiness everywhere.

Hardest part of the job: having to submit an email listing shows you'd like to review every month, then receiving a terse email listing either no shows at all or one.

Most enjoyable: reconnecting with what mas mostly enjoyable music
Pros
being able to write about music again
Cons
Wretched pay and treated like an indentured servant.
Fun and productive work place.
Delivery Driver/Organizer (Former Employee) –  South Holland, ILJanuary 6, 2018
A typical day of work was fast pace and competitive. I learned out to stuff papers and delivery them in a timely fashion. I enjoy working there because it was fast paced.
Good place to work with good benefits
Building Services (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 6, 2018
Relaxed atmosphere with good co-workers who worked together. Overtime available but not forced. Sometime to much politics to deal with, but worth it for benefits of the job. Some learning on the job which was beneficial. Loved my manger, real good guy.
Pros
Great benefits, good pay and time off. Overtime not forced
Cons
Some weekends when if you don't have seniority, office politics and some back stabbers
Very easy
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 5, 2018
I had to monitor the flow of all products and pallets.
Ensure all products are loaded accurately on trucks
Ensure quality and integrity of all products.
Communicate with the team leader any outstanding issues.
Utilize ominizone to locate products and identify quantity of products.
Assist with the loading, weighing and receiving of all waste products from the DC network.
Pros
Very easy job
Cons
No benefits low pay