CHICAGO TUBE & IRON Employee Reviews

Terrible Management
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WIMay 28, 2019
No communication between office staff and material handlers, no communication from plant manager to second or third shifts. General laziness from supervisors on day shift
wished I hadn't left
Secretary / Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNMay 28, 2019
I left this company do to getting married and moved to far away but I have regretted this decision to this day wished I had stayed and retired with this company.
Very poor work environment
Machinist (Current Employee) –  Owatonna, MNOctober 14, 2018
Very poor management. No chance for career advancement unless you are related to current management. Corporate policies not followed at my location.
Small shop with good people
Machinist (Current Employee) –  Owatonna, MNApril 21, 2018
My position as machinist was relaxed but steady paced.

My coworkers are friendly and skilled.

The equipment is dated and in some cases poorly maintained.

We get a 15 minute paid break and a half hour unpaid lunch.

The hardest part of the job is making high quality parts on poorly maintained equipment.

The best part of my job is being part of a great team of machinists and operators.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Poorly maintained equipment.
poor compensation and bonus plan for the positions responsibilities
Account Manager/Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNApril 19, 2018
poor compensation and bonus plan for the positions responsibilities.
Slow progression and opportunity for advancement. Stressful environment. Good team to work with.
temporary
Welder/Fitter (Former Employee) –  Locust, NCApril 3, 2018
the work is subcontractor, temporary, when the project finished, they had to lay off contract worker. Good workplace but only temporary , There are good people to work with
great place to work
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Romeoville, ILMarch 28, 2018
Fun but yet professional environment to work in. Managers are caring and competent. Insurance is good. Hours are flexible, and work/home balance is appreciated.
Pros
Great management
Poor Management; Poor training; Lack of Communication
undisclosed (Former Employee) –  Locust, NCMarch 27, 2018
Very poor communication, direction and initial training. Company wants young people only and has this mindset. Management is poor and supervision is not there.
Pros
fantastic co-workers
Cons
poor management/authority
warehouseman
/Crane operator/Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 18, 2018
I worked my way up through all of the warehouse titles and was even trained for supervisory position but was never paid for it and left after training people who were paid more and after sustaining an injury I left
cti is good for someone from the area that is looking for a long term job.
JOURNEYMAN WELDER (Former Employee) –  Locust, NCMarch 16, 2018
safety was secondary, machines were not maintained so injuries were prevented. I seen this for myself.. The employees are expected to know there profession and sometime the work is done overboard to compensate for tolerances that are not in the drawings. The work is controlled by the end user and that is why the work is done in the manner it is.
Pros
one of the highest paying jobs in the county.
Dead End
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Romeoville, ILMarch 12, 2018
If you're looking for advancement and to show that you're more than just a grunt, then this is the wrong place for you. Most people I work with try just to make it to 5 years so they get their pension from the union that does nothing for it's workers. The president of the company is on the union board. That's the kind of union protection we have. If you're a single parent, the hours are a nightmare.
Pros
Pay is decent
Cons
Hours
nice big break room with vending machines
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Locust, NCNovember 13, 2017
Fast paced hard working environment long hours good pay they are getting into other lines of work. like steel distribution/ caterpillar/ military contracts and some other stuff.In tig welding tube you have to be good because it is x-ray welding and they are picky about there welding they like young welders with room to grow.
Pros
good pay
Cons
vending machines in the breck room
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Locust, NCOctober 23, 2017
none rewarding most stressful place that i have ever work at in my life. A typical day was some where something always went wrong in the shop. company and management did not care about it's employees is what i learned at cti.Quick fix do what we say liye to the customer kind of management .stressful did not work well with it's customer's they had many job's pulled out from under them.the hardest part of the job was knowing i had to go back into work the next day and do it all over again. The most enjoyable part of the job was going home or going on vacation.
Close to home with competetive wages
Crane Operator (Current Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WIAugust 16, 2017
I like working there because it's close to home. They are very flexible with my needs and the work is not overbearing. We have fun while still focused on the goal of preparing orders in a timely manner suitable for our customers.
Competitive Field of Business
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Romeoville, ILMay 10, 2017
Commissions leave a lot to be desired. Culture has growing pains but overall it seems healthy. Very autonomous position with ability to grow. One large operational drawback is the ordering system but new technology seems to be on the horizon.
mutliple positions
Branch & W.I.P. Coordinator/ Deduction Clerk (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNMarch 30, 2017
variety was great and always busy, there was cross training and always something to learn. Sales was demanding and communication could have been better. everyone in the same big room working and loud
Pros
variety of duties
Cons
work space
Great Environment
Office Intern (Former Employee) –  Romeoville, ILFebruary 15, 2017
The workplace environment was both professional and fun. Each member of the workplace team was wonderful and easy to work with. Everything in this company is run very professionally and everyone is very understanding.
Managment was not organized
Shop Hand (Current Employee) –  Romeoville, ILJanuary 19, 2017
No communication at all between management and or employees
workers didn't get treated very well
not very good job security
not very union based like they are supposed to be
company
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Romeoville, ILAugust 23, 2016
dont want to review company. a manufacturing company. has several locations through out the united states. corporate office is located at Romeoville, il.
Tough place to work, hard culture to adapt to.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 23, 2016
CTI can be a tough environment to work. There are many changes which happen on the fly which can promote instability on the shop floor.
People at this place are not very happy!