CHICAGO TUBE & IRON Employee Reviews

Great Company with Great Employees that lacks progressive and challenging management improve.
General Manager - Quad Cities Division (Former Employee) –  Milan, ILJune 30, 2016
Solid established company with a good reputation. Not all employees treated equally by upper management. Management really not provocative and forward thinking. Do not challenge the status quo and the directives of the President and CEO. Only there to do as told and not question.
Pros
Co-workers and employees that reported to me where great people, that were dedicated and hard working.
Cons
Upper Management does not want to hear anything different they want to hear, or have already decide is the answer.
Perfection is key.
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNNovember 23, 2015
Files are very important to any company. One miss file and it could be the end of a deal or it could start something that didn't need to be started if the file was in the correct spot.

It is not a job that you rush and double checking your work will make your job easier.

If you don't know what to do or what the paperwork says, the management there are more than happy to help you out because they also know how important filing is.
micro manage everything
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WIDecember 12, 2014
Terrible leadership. Make the job more stressfull than it actually is. No lunch breaks. Have seen shift leads work 18 hours in one day.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
no lunch breaks, micro manage
Very unprofessional - salary low-balling
PURCAHSING (Former Employee) –  LOCUST NCNovember 20, 2014
I was told by the company that the position was to be a full-Time temporary position with a decision to be made for permanent employment after a months time.

The first week I worked four days. The second week, without notification to me or MY agency the manager sent out an email that I would be working 2 to 4 days per week and told me it would be for two weeks. That lasted one month.

I was then told by the agency that the decision for permanent employment would be three months and then after about a week, 3 to 4 months. This arrangement was initially made without knowledge.

When I was given full-time hours, the manager asked me if I would be interested in the Purchasing Managers position to which I expressed my interest.

I relayed the managers inquiry to the agency and for two and one half weeks the agency had tried to get in contact with the manager but he refused to return their calls.

The agency again called the manager twice and then called me to relay a message for him to call them as soon as possible but he still would not respond.

Since my first day of the assignment I had worked above and beyond what was required of the position

I can only assume as to why I was not treated with the same professional courtesies as other employees since I had done nothing to warrant such behavior.

As a result of the aforementioned unprofessional occurrences I had terminated my assignment and notified the agency.
Pros
I found no pros working for this company
Cons
Very unporfessional
fast paced work environment but also high risk
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Romeoville, ILAugust 19, 2014
typical work day load and unload trucks from all sizes. Inventory our in stock material, recieve incoming shipments. Measure steel to make sure Management was good when i started but than went down hill after bringing in another supervisor that didnt know how to communicate efectively with his employees. Co-workers were awsome. easy to get along with energetic.
Pros
really wasnt any pros.
Cons
poor communication both verbally and written from higher ups.
Very Unprofessinal
Applications Engineering, Manager (Former Employee) –  Locust, NCJanuary 10, 2014
Management is terrible and co-workers do not understand the complexitits of the product.
Good company with tenured employees
Sales/Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 11, 2013
supervised sales team, meeting new and existing customers
sometimes it makes sense to stay away from corporate politics
strong, well educated
great
trying to convince management to sell and/or extend credit limits to customers in difficult times
travelling to Mexico to visit mills, landing new business and entertaining customers
Pros
golfing with customers
Cons
being held responsible for situations that are out of my control
Non-motivating work environment
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Romeoville, ILOctober 8, 2013
Leadership tends to micromanage to much causing back log of jobs and than stresses out cause they are behind.They hire personnel that have no idea what they are in charge of and expect them to lead the workers who are the ones who know what they are talking about. Leadership does not listen to their employees.
Pros
Overtime Available
Cons
To many supervisors and evryone micro manages making job alot harder than it actually is
Great company to work for. Team based environment.
Staff Accountant/Payroll (Former Employee) –  Romeoville, ILOctober 1, 2013
My typical day at work was processing payroll, bank reconciliations and preparing account analysis as well as statements.
Pros
year end bonuses
Cons
health care and opportunity to grow within company.
warehouse managers cant run plant
warehouse worker (Current Employee) –  romeoville ilSeptember 19, 2013
Anybody in the warehouse can work as little as they want as long as the bosses like you or their scared of you. Second and third shift are the best shifts to work cause nobodys really there to run it and you do even less work on those shifts and get overtime all you want. First shift don't get overtime much, If you can act like your busy you can work as little as you want cause the bosses don't know what's going on most of the time anyway. If you let them think you like them you can get away with anything there.
Pros
managers dont watch what you do, you can do nothing all day and get a full paycheck
leadman
foreman within the first month of employment (Current Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WIMay 28, 2013
ok place to work but i will not move up any further with this company and i want to grow with a company
it was a good place to work with great people to work with no games at all.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Locust, NCApril 2, 2013
a typical day at work was? you get there have a brief meeting pair with who you was working with get the job task for what you was going to do for that night and you would go to your work station for your job asighnment and you would do what ever was needed done.
I learned many task and enjoyed the work and the jobs that i done.
Managementwas good to work for a little strict but was fair and for good reasonsthe wanted the job worked on and in a safe manner.
co workers was great to work with helped you out when you had a problem or did not understand the job decriptions or the material to be used on the job.
the hardest part of the job was was working for a temp service and not getting the paid time and vacation pay that the full timers got or paid days off like the others got.
the most enjoyable part of the job was working with great people and bosses and learning differant jobs and tasksand the shift i was on was great.
Pros
holiday dinners, gifts, lunches.
Cons
did not get holiday pay and days off with pay as a temp.
Good Distribution Company
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Locust, NCJanuary 28, 2013
Warehousing/Distribution Company
Adding new technology to their manufacturing processes
productive
Purchasing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Romeoville, ILMay 21, 2012
accuracy, detailed
negotiations
easy to get along with everyone
pricing