Childhelp Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Too many politics
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, CAJune 8, 2018
The company only cares about money not the kids or the employees. Like a high school everyone hooking up not there to actually work. Low pay nasty food no brakes
Pros
Helping Children
Cons
Low pay no breaks
Fun, engaging place but this was in 2007-2010 so not sure how it is now
WRITER/DONOR SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZApril 23, 2018
I loved Childhelp - believed in its mission, had a great time writing for the founders, and made friends that became like family. Also, I learned about foster care programs and used Salesforce for the first time in my life-every day was interesting - never bored or extremely stressed - felt like it was a good place to work. If not laid off during the recession with other peers, would still be there today celebrating 11 years!
Pros
Nice people, excellent programs for Children, fun holiday events
Cons
Can't think of any
One of my most rewarding positions
Childcare Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lignum, VAMarch 13, 2018
I worked with neglected and abused children. It gave me the chance to give back and change the direction of some of the most hurt and lost children I would ever come across. This is a wonder facility and the staff genuinely care about the children. Blessing to Childhelp
Challenging place to work, but it has its upside
Manager (Former Employee) –  Lignum, VAMarch 5, 2018
I worked at Childhelp in Lignum for a long time, and for the most part, it was a great place to work. However, upper management and executives in Arizona could care less how the employees are treated, and would prefer to make sure their own pockets are well lined before a lower paid employee ever gets a bonus or a raise. The company has not given out raises in years, though executives and the founders are receiving at least six figure incomes. The health insurance is not great, assuming you can even afford to get it, as it's very expensive. The employees are great, you'll meet lots of great people from many different backgrounds, and you get to try and make a difference in a child's life.
Pros
Great PTO benefits, dental insurance was affordable and good.
Cons
Health insurance, pay and poor upper management
Fun and good people to work with
RN (Current Employee) –  Lignum, VAFebruary 3, 2018
Love my job at childhelp. The staff and the patients will always be a good experience working there . Would recommend it to anyone who loves children .
Pros
Flexibility
Benefits
loved working with all ages of children
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Lignum, VAJanuary 28, 2018
I worked overnight at child help. I is a center for abused and at risk children. Even though I was night care I still was able to interact with the children. Most times I would take a room in the morning that consisted of four children and get them up and ready for the school on grounds. I enjoyed getting their day started on hopefully a positive note. Most time how their mornings played out was how their day would go. At times I also helped out in the school or volunteered in the infirmary when a child was sick or one on one. I really enjoyed working there and feel like I was a positive influence on the children. I really felt like I was making a difference in their lives, and had I not moved I would still be there.
Fulfilling Place to Work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Lignum, VADecember 28, 2017
Childhelp is an amazing place to work. It is incredibly rewarding and offers the opportunity to thrive. Working with and helping the children at Childhelp can prove to be difficult. You must be strong and willing to put forth effort but it is all worth it. Upper Management is amazing and my position's schedule is flexible. The Management Team shows high regard to work-life balance. The Village also provides a beautiful setting to work at- a gorgeous 270 acre horse farm.
Rewarding work for the strong only
Director (Current Employee) –  Lignum, VADecember 27, 2017
The Village is and always has been an amazing place with incredibly special employees who care for incredibly difficult children. Working in mental health and with children is often a difficult feat, but if you want to make a difference, this is a beautiful place to do it. There will always be challenges and those who rise to them and those who don’t. We are blessed to have so many who do.
Pros
Supportive management, team work, free meals, beautiful and fun campus
Cons
Benefits are expensive
Interesting and fun
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Lignum, VAOctober 19, 2017
I enjoyed working here and working with children. I enjoyed my co-workers and the different atmosphere dealing with the children. Fast paced and a there was always room for advancement.
Pros
Children and Co-Workers
Cons
Pay
Staff
Teacher's Aide (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, CAAugust 28, 2017
The Teachers and IA's are amazing but the Administration are terrible and take for granted the amazing people who work there... !

The staff make it worth working there but no other reason,
Cons
no breaks, terrible management
not easy, almost ridiculous amount of work for such little pay
Sales Rep/ Manager (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJuly 13, 2017
- typical day; meet at office in the morning, have a "team" meeting, figure out were we are going to set up for the day like what event we were getting sent to, fill out consignment form, load up car with table, bin, bags, etc. Then head out to our event.
- I learned that working for a commission based job sucks
- workplace culture, there really wasn't much
- hardest part; standing on your feet all day, in this az heat not being guaranteed to be able to put food on the table later in the evening.
- enjoyable part; helping all the kids on a day to day basis, actually seeing the kids receive these bags that I worked my butt off to sell then donate to them.
Pros
helping kids whom where abused and neglected
Cons
no benefits, no growth opp., commission based
Encouraging atmosphere with caring, fun people..
Child Abuse Hotline Counselor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 7, 2017
I really enjoy working here. People are caring and ask how you are. Management is easily approachable. It's hard work at times, but it's good to know a co-worker has your back if you need encouragement!
Pros
Atomsphere
Helping children a plus, Management Sucks!
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Lignum, VAJune 30, 2017
Helping children is a plus, Management Sucks! Executive Director, Clinical Director, and Human Resource Director should never be allowed to manage any human being due to they lack the skill set. Truly do not know how to manage others appropriately. Corporate is terrible and only care about the dollar and allow these people to run this company in the ground. They should learn the "Golden Rule, Treat others the way you will like to be treated"
Pros
Helping children
Cons
Management, Corporate
Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 21, 2017
Great organization providing the opportunity to renew the lives of severely abused children setting them up for success. How could you complain about being a part of that type of world changing environment?
Pros
Free lunches, recognized for accomplishments, continual opportunity
Cons
As a nonprofit sometimes compensation is not competitive to publicly traded companies
Great environment, Friendly and helpful team
THERAPEUTIC BEHAVIORAL COACH (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, CAMay 23, 2017
This is a great place to work in, if you enjoy making a difference in the lives of youth. It can be difficult at times but it is a very rewarding career. Co-workers are extremely helpful on giving ideas and supporting you through your cases. The hardest part is paperwork, It can be challenging to type up a note at the end of each session but with time and practice, it gets easier.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
On Call
Awful
Crisis Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 10, 2017
Literally the worst place I have ever worked, however I am so thankful for the experience. I wouldn't be the person I am without working there. I think that every social worker should work in the child welfare field at somepoint.
Childhelp Beware
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, CAApril 7, 2017
child help is supposed to be about the children and helping them to advance in life and overcome obstacles but, Working there is horrible. the co workers are always more concerned with the next hook up. The supervisors will pray on the young women/men workers. of course not all of them but the majority will. admin will almost always throw you out if you even try and make a formal complaint against a higher up and HR is there for looks... If you really actually want to help children find someplace else, This is not it.
Cons
vertually no breaks creepy managment horrible treatment bad pay
Fun place to work, but new upper managment is terrible
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Lignum, VAJune 30, 2016
I have worked here for over 4 years and had a mostly wonderful experience. You are always doing something new. You have several trainings a month which I thought were great. In house management was great very helpful and strong. However, new upper management is messing everything up and making several people feel useless. The hardest part of the day is dealing with the rough child behaviors. The best part of the day is when the kids are being kids and you can just play with them and enjoy .
Great Idea, Bad Practice
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Lignum, VA 22726June 7, 2016
One of the main words that you will hear in the training at ChildHelp is "consistency" - over and over again. Being that they preach this to their staff, it would be okay to expect the same from the management, and other higher-ups. Sadly, this is not the case. Cliques, favoritism among staff and supervisors, and drama is rampant.
The clientele are not the picture of innocence that many expect when they walk through the door. However, that being said, no one who works at ChildHelp for at least six months leaves because of the children.
There are no pay raises. PTO accumulates quickly. The wrong people get promotions. Grudges are held by management against staff.
The clients are not treated with respect, or care for in the way one would hope. When the company gets a heads up that some big wig is coming, or licensure, all new appliances are installed, broken things get fixed, and only the clients who are nearly ready to leave come into contact with anyone important. Only then.
I have witnessed newly purchased shower curtains go up, and get taken down, within the same 24 hour time frame. The old one's put back in their place - effective or not.
None shift supervisor communicates with the following supervisor effectively. The staff resent each other for not completing the tasks they are supposed to each shift.

Despite this, ChildHelp has some amazing staff that does truly care about the children. They go above and beyond their job descriptions (which are ever changing) to make sure that things go as they should. When these individuals are present, support is always
  more... handy. Otherwise... don't worry about having to ask for help - no one will be there to ask.

Snow, Ice, home responsibilities preventing you from coming into work? Get sick and don't have a doctor's note? Have a doctor's note? Be prepared to be written up. Even if there are multiple feet of snow on the road.. or trees down.. you get the picture. Oh, and if you're at work when it is snowing? If the next shift doesn't come in to relieve you, you can't leave. That's right.. you cannot leave.

Turn over rate is high. Not even management stays long. Director's change frequently, as well.

Training lasts a week. No specialized training in the various disorders any of the clients may have. Basics only.
Pros
Some great people, Pto, Clients
Cons
Management, Staff, Clients, Poor Communication, High Turn over rate
Worst place to work for.
Childcare Worker (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, CAJune 2, 2016
The job consists of working with at-risk kids. The kids come with behavioral problems and tend to be very violent. The atmosphere you work in has cameras throughout the facilities and outside. Expect to be under multiple investigations with CPS and Community Care Licensing. It comes with the territory because of the type of environment you work in. They rarely give raises and the benefits they offer are too expensive. There are no real benefits in working in the environment besides the opportunity to help at-risk children. Also some employees in Supervisory position are well protected by Administration even though they should not be working there.
Pros
The opportunity to help at-risk children.
Cons
Terrible work environment.