Children's Home & Aid

Children's Home & Aid Employee Reviews

Not bad.
I wish I could say this was my best work experience, but I can’t. Leadership is dysfunctional in the Early childhood programs and the staff are very clickish.
High-paced environment full of surprises
Working with this agency will require one to be content with accommodating to the various daily schedules of clients, in order to complete home visits.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
pay is not the best
the most enjoyable part of the job
Working with all of the employees on their own benefit elections. Going to the different sites and meeting the employees - putting a name to the face since I typically would only talk to them on the phone.
stressful
high pressure, low pay environment. lack of trust among leadership. poor communication. lack of management. no advancement opportunity. questionable political influence from the board on administrative decisions.
I worked with a great team!!
I loved my team. Everyone was very supportive and believed in team work. I was able to learn a lot while there. They offer many trainings if you are interested in learning more. My direct supervisor was very supportive and approachable. I only left due to not enough pay to make it as a single mom and there was no room for advancement. This would be a great job for those just starting out who are eager to learn.
The job was a summer job that I was referred to by family.
I was a Youth Working building with other children my age and we worked as a team. The hardest part was communicating in front of a large group of people. I enjoyed growing out of being shy and I started to understand people’s need more and more.
Good co-workers and supervsors that are supportive
I'm a diligent worker and organized. I do well in working with families and crisis, I work with other professionals- courts, schools, therapist and the State (DCFS)
Fun place to work but difficult to have work/life balacnce
My program closed. My program was often understaffed and my team was overworked with little support from upper management Difficult to have work life balance.
Pros
competive salary and benefits
Cons
High stress level job
Good foot in the door
Good place to get some experience and to get your foot in the door. The turn over is quite high, and you are not really compensated for the work that you do. This is not the fault of anyone at the Rockford office, it goes beyond them, and if they could pay more they definitely would. This is an excellent place to get a couple years of experience, but you will almost definitley need either another job or a roommate (or two) to get by. I encourage you to give Children's Home & Aid a chance.
Pros
Flexibility, positive work enviorment, supportive team mates
Cons
very little compensation, a ton of responsibility without proper compensation
Relaxed goal orientated working environment
Lots of flexibility, independence, and room for growth. Children's home and aid always provided its workers with trainings to improve their skills while also allowing employees their space to get their work done in their own way.
Pros
free trainings
Cons
more supervision
No advancement or growth
Not a good place to work. The only way you can advance with this organization is through the buddy system. Only friends of the supervisors are promoted and given opportunities to advance their career. I learned new things about my job from friends that work at similar organizations not from my supervisor. The hardest part of the job was dealing with evasive supervisors. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping clients when I was allowed to do so.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
poor and inappropriate interactions with supervisors, low pay, no advancement
n/a
I love CHASI its a great agency. they do a lot to help out the community and families. They are also great to the employees and provide a lot of good services
Im not sure
its a very welcoming place to work if your on the outside looking in but it has its own problems. besides the lack know how its a good company that can great you great experience.
Pros
fexiable hours
Cons
benefits not as good
A typical day at work
Make appointments with clients and complete visits for the day. Write up notes from the visits and complete for court purpose. Conduct team meetings with family, supervisors, clients and court advocates
Pros
Great experience learned
Cons
Job security is not there and burnout is high
Stressful and lack of pay
Turn over rate is too high. Needs to be revamped starting with administration. They are not really supportive. Great work experience but not enough hourly pay to stay longer then a year.
Pros
free lunch during the day shift
Cons
not enough support
Great.
Great place to work.

Salary is higher than other surrounding agencies.

Benefits are great.

Work environment is comfortable.

Flexible work hours/schedules.
The organization is a great place to work for. The supervisors are caring and the organization make sure its staff is taken care of far as benefits and flexiability
Pros
flexiability
Cons
healthcare cost
Therapy Session
A typical day at work consisted of me reviewing/editing confidential records and conducting therapy sessions with my clients. I learned that time management skills are very important when in the social service field. I had a great manager who I consider a mentor. The hardest part of the job was attempting to counsel children that have been physically, mentally, and emotionally hurt. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping children who are at risk.
Pros
Pot Lucks, Trainings
Cons
Travel
Great people to work with.
A typical day consists of responding to client's needs in regards to childcare assistance. Whether it is by phone or in person, the client's needs are a top priority. At Children's Home & Aid, we are a team. We help each other out when needed without being asked. I would say the hardest part of the job would be when you see a client struggle. There are only so many things that you can assist with. The most enjoyable part is when a client calls to say thanks for all of your help.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
The possibility of lay off every year due to the Illinois budget.
Case Management
Very busy day and each day is different. Great job, if you can handle/process stress well. Field has high turnover due to stress and financial compensation.