Children's Home + Aid Employee Reviews

Unhealthy work environment
Family Support Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 17, 2019
Upper management hang in cliques. Asking questions is perceived as challenging authority and causes you not to receive the support needed to do your job. Many work in silos and very often throw one another under the bus. If you are not accustomed to this it is difficult to be successful in this organization. Bullying and intimidation is common practice.
Great opportunity and experience
Substitute Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILAugust 27, 2019
Since I worked at Children's Home and Aid for a long time I have many reviews. But ultimately, since there are so many location, everything is dependent on the maturity of the people you work with. They can make or break your experience. If you have a co-worker you get a long with, ignore the drama that happens around you. Do your best to not feed into it. There was always drama, and cattiness. Management was sometimes on top of things but other times they turned a blind eye, afraid of confrontation. There was some favoritism but I think there generally is at many job sites. If you do what you're hired for, you'll have a great experience. You're there for the children. Bear that in mind and forget the rest.
Poor
Foster Care Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 14, 2019
Management was unsupportive. Lack of training. Lack of supervision. Most concerned with numbers and performance on paper than effective case management for the families served.
Workplace Culture
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILJuly 15, 2019
There are a lot of clicks and favoritism. Some people are allowed to do less than the job requirements while others are threatened with write ups for any and everything. We are punished for working overtime - you get only half your rate of pay but they still require you to get the job done. If you take vacation time you are expected to cover for yourself. They say that there is a team that helps but they only help if they like you and if they want to. Also the team help is barely the minimum required which creates more work for you. So you might as well do the work yourself.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
You work all hours --nights weekends days to meet the requirments of the job.
Excellent place, considering difficult work
Foster Care Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 4, 2019
Case management was not easy AT ALL. However, my supervisors were amazing in understanding how certain cases can demand different levels of attention. Very knowledgeable staff, and the other programs also have a strong sense of community within the entire establishment. I never had to work weekends, except rare special events and I was compensated generously.
Pros
Great benefits make up for mediocre salary
Cons
non-profit funding makes for lower salary.
N/a
Foster Care Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ILMay 21, 2019
Day to Day changes often, high stress environment. Company benefits are average, as are the salaries compared to other agencies. Time management skills and building rapport with clients is important
Work Life Balance was great
Foster Care Lead Secretary (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILMarch 25, 2019
Fast paced, always busy. Nice to make a difference involving the community. Hardest part of the job was working with all the cattiness. Stop acting like your all in high school.
Pros
The type of work is rewarding
Cons
Too much gossip
Not a great place to work
Children Program worker (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJanuary 17, 2019
Working for Children's Home+Aid started out alright until I called off from my 1 DAY a week shift and my Supervisor became upset with me and took away my next 1 DAY shift for the following week. She told me that I inconvenienced parents who expected to come to the group to eat and get a break from their children. I think that working for the Children's Program was a nice opportunity but for $10.00/hr for two hours was not really worth the time and effort that I put forth. It was like my supervisor turned on me really quick because I had a previously scheduled appointment.

I put in my two week notice and she never responded back.
Pros
I loved the children
Cons
pay, treatment from employers, no advancement opportunities
exellent environmemt
Lifetime Sports Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 15, 2019
Very productive, being able to connect with you socially and emotionally. Processing clinically to resolve issues at hand such as trauma, personal matters, living situation and academic integrity.
Pros
great hours
Cons
adults not understanding the youth
I enjoyed the work I performed.
Adolescent Foster Care Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 2, 2019
I enjoyed my job duties and working with the clients I served. Working with the clients and advocating for them was rewarding. Ensuring clients needs were met was my best job duty.
Pros
Enhancing the domain of clients is rewarding
Cons
Most weeks require working more than 40 hours.
Very stressfull place to work
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILNovember 7, 2018
Working in child welfare is very stressful, but when you have poor management on top of that it makes for a unhealthy environment to work in. This was an awesome place to work until they completely changed the management team. Now it is very unorganized and most of the time you don't know if you are coming or going.
Pros
Most of the people are great
Cons
very pro management
An OK job to gain experience and that is ALL
Outreach Worker (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ILAugust 18, 2018
I worked at Children's Home & Aid for a year. I was an outreach worker full time. The job has it's perks - flexibility, some ability to work from home, and relatively less stressful responsibilities than workers in more direct service positions. All of these perks turned into cons. Being flexible used to mean that I could schedule appointments with clients at my convenience. Eventually ,that turned into me having to work with a client's schedule and being late to dinner or getting home at 9:00 PM. As an outreach worker, I drive a lot. I run errands and transport clients. Your car gets dirty from repeated getting in and out. A lot of wear and tear on your car. You get reimbursed for mileage. It definitely covers your gas, but I'm not sure that it pays off when you have to have oil changes every 6 weeks or get new tires in half the time they should've lasted. My manager was great. My coworkers were great as well. Work can get very stressful when coworkers are out on vacation or on leave. Some days you don't have time to take a lunch, so you're eating your lunch in your car as you're driving to an appointment.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Working late, nonexistent breaks
Stressful work, no managerial support
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 10, 2018
It's a job where every day, either your job, or your immediate safety are on the line, and the system is set up so that no matter what, you are held responsible. And the kicker is, it wouldn't matter so much if you weren't paid an unlivable wage
Summer Job
FIELD SERVICE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 29, 2018
At this assignment we worked in the neighborhood doing preservation projects. We learned how to put a bicycle together and take it apart. At the end of the course we were tested.
Great benefits poor leadership
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILJanuary 19, 2018
Apparently they hire who they want. They also violated the Consumer Report Act by not providing proof of termination reasons which is a free copy of background checks.
Benefits
Cons
Unethical hiring practices
A well rounded Social Service agency in the Chicagoland area
Corporate Controller (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 30, 2017
An excellent work place which offers a variety of job opportunities in assisting children and adults in various different social service programs. Many position have a heavy workload but by the end of the day you feel the reward due to the appreciation of the supervisors.
Pros
A very caring environment
Cons
The agency has many program sites and you deal with many staff members you will never meet.
Good place to gain experience, but you might want to eventually move on
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILNovember 29, 2017
I started at CHA in their daycare, then got an internship into the foster care department. After 13m I moved to their foster care program as a Case Aid, and 10m after that I became Caseworker. Four years after that I became Program Coordinator.
While at first I loved my job. I loved what I was doing, making a positive difference in the lives of children and families.
The company attempts to push work/life balance, and maybe it's only the program I was in, but in an emotionally exhausting job that's difficult to do. I was married to my work and after almost seven years there I was finally getting burnt out. I had four different positions, but 11 supervisors because of the turnover in the program. This made management even more messy when they always gave different direction/rules. The coworkers, while we're all social workers and some can be friends for life, some others can be real cut-throat and vindictive mostly because everyone is stressed.
If you're going into their foster care program, just be warned. They'll book you with an overabundant caseload, and when another caseworker leaves their caseload is spread to everyone else who is already overworked.
Don't believe the Indeed $39K-$49K expected salary. They'll only start you out with $30K. During the state-budget stalemate some of us didn't receive a raise for three years.
Pros
benefits, 401K
Cons
lack of growth, low pay
Chaotic work environment with poor leadership
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 31, 2017
There is no room for advancement, poor leadership, unethical hiring practices, toxic culture that feeds passive aggressive behavior, leadership is in dire need of interpersonal, diversity and management.
Pros
Location, flexible schedule, lack of supervision
Cons
Lack of supervision, room for advancement, Ceo, overall poor leadership
Many services
Intern (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILOctober 26, 2017
Our childrens home + aid provides many services to assist those seeking additional support. Management and staff were very friendly. All appeared dedicated to their position.
It is a good place to work. Lot of opportunities for advancement.
Foster Care Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 3, 2017
It is a good place to work. Lot of opportunities for advancement. Management staff has very good relationship with the staff. Although the job can be stressful, supervisors are very supportive