Children's Home + Aid Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great benefits poor leadership
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILJanuary 19, 2018
Apparently they hire who they want. They also violated the Consumer Report Act by not providing proof of termination reasons which is a free copy of background checks.
Benefits
Cons
Unethical hiring practices
A well rounded Social Service agency in the Chicagoland area
Corporate Controller (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 30, 2017
An excellent work place which offers a variety of job opportunities in assisting children and adults in various different social service programs. Many position have a heavy workload but by the end of the day you feel the reward due to the appreciation of the supervisors.
Pros
A very caring environment
Cons
The agency has many program sites and you deal with many staff members you will never meet.
Chaotic work environment with poor leadership
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 31, 2017
There is no room for advancement, poor leadership, unethical hiring practices, toxic culture that feeds passive aggressive behavior, leadership is in dire need of interpersonal, diversity and management.
Pros
Location, flexible schedule, lack of supervision
Cons
Lack of supervision, room for advancement, Ceo, overall poor leadership
Many services
Intern (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILOctober 26, 2017
Our childrens home + aid provides many services to assist those seeking additional support. Management and staff were very friendly. All appeared dedicated to their position.
It is a good place to work. Lot of opportunities for advancement.
Foster Care Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 3, 2017
It is a good place to work. Lot of opportunities for advancement. Management staff has very good relationship with the staff. Although the job can be stressful, supervisors are very supportive
Rice Child and Family Center
LEAD MENTAL HEALTH COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILSeptember 21, 2017
· Maintain confidentiality of records relating to client’s treatment.
· Fill out and maintain client-related paperwork, including federal and state mandated forms, client’s diagnostic records, and progress notes.
· Implement service plan of those with intellectual disabilities, as well as help maintain a positive and normalized home environment by facilitating open communication and ensuring the completion of daily task.
· Make suggestions, and help develop the skills of each direct support staff member in the home environment.
Great people and mission
Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 19, 2017
The agency is full of amazing people who do amazing work. From the boots on the ground staff to the CEO, everyone is passionate. Of course, in any large agency, you will get bad supervisors and staff, but the good vastly outweigh the bad.

The state budget crisis hurt the agency a lot but they did their best to keep employees happy. I know that if they could pay employees more, they would.

I would recommend 10/10.
Pros
13 paid holidays, health/dental insurance, 401 with small company match, work life balance, wellness opportunities
Cons
Pay (of course)
Working with the youth
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 2, 2017
I mentored youth daily. Patience and listening is key when dealing with the youth. The staff wasn't as friendly I feel they just worked for a check and didn't really interact with the youth. The hardest part of this job was getting the youth to open up and to keep them from fighting. But through this summer program I finally got through to them. My day working with youth would be greeting every morning for an icebreaker, discussing horticulture, and then one with ones. Group project at that time was to build bikes at the end of the program and we succeeded.
Working in Non-profit at CH+A
Regional Business Accountant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 24, 2017
Great place to get involved with social service and government funded programs. Organization leadership has clear plan on how to impact youth and children; some departments are working to strengthen synergies between departments and reduce "silo's"
Pros
Work/life balance; opportunities for social impact projects and program development
Wonderful organization
Intern, Outreach Worker (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ILApril 3, 2017
Learned the necessary skills to provide in depth case management. Kind and helpful staff that is dedicated to their line of work and the clients that they serve.

Want to know more about Children's Home + Aid?

Ask a question
Great Workplace
Early Head Start Teacher (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILJanuary 20, 2017
Children's Home and Aid is a great company to work for. The management could use a little work but overall it is a great place to work. Another issue is the low pay from working in a non-profit organization.
The vision is clear, but the Employer/ Co workers suck
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Marshfield, ILJanuary 9, 2017
I was an employee at the Marshfield location, the agency itself helps foster children, they provide services to families in need, but they are so cheap and always look for ways to cut cost. It's boring, and the office manager is just plain rude. No opportunities for advancement and you'll spend most of the day filing. They try to boost morale, but I've seen them toss employees who have dedicated 5+ years of their lives to this place, like trash. The executive director lets the office manager make ultimate decisions and all she does is hire friends and treat them like dirt. The office manager is very unprofessional and needs some career development training as well as supervisor training. Mood swings sucks. Pay sucks, so you'll have to love the field to actual stay.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Wages suck, Management attitude, hard to advance
productive work place
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 30, 2016
Great place to work. Administration has an open door policy, feels like family. I worked there 1 year and the children are learning from the treatment provided.
Motivated and supported at the elc
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJune 21, 2016
Contrary to the review previously posted, I have only positive things to say about the current staff; particularly the administration. I can only speak on behalf of the current staff, though, as I am well aware that the previous administrative director was unprofessional/gossipped. The current staff do NOT gossip and administrative meetings are spent focusing on the best practices of child care and how to best accommodate to each child's specific strengths!
Both the director and assistant director of the Scott Early Learning Center have worked days much longer than their job descriptions require, as they are truly called to work with children and lead by example as compassionate and motivational leaders for the teaching staff. Their everyday examples of maintaining positive attitudes despite any type of obstacle thrown at them throughout the day have been a true inspiration. If I had to describe them in three words I would choose determined, hardworking, and resilient.
I am a teacher at the ELC and reading the previous review of the agency upset me because it is a public display of someone's opinion which is portrayed as factual information. So to uphold my honest character, I will do a brief analysis of the previous posting by addressing my opinions of the topics discussed:
They (the ELC administrative team) are constantly thinking of the children enrolled and how to best accommodate to their needs and do what is most beneficial for them. I am unsure if any professional work environment has been MORE supportive of me as the administrative staff at the
  more... ELC are continually checking up on me, my students, if they could help me in any way, and how my class is doing. I literally could not ask for better supervisors and cannot provide suggestions for improvement in their professional, supportive, and motivational demeanor. The administrative team is often seen throughout the building checking on the individual classroom's teacher-to-student ratios per specific age group. The accusation that teachers sometimes have to wait 45 minutes to get a bathroom break is absolutely absurd as every day I have seen the director and assistant director step in to help out. They are happy to help out and I have yet to hear any complaints from them about any faculty or staff members and I have been employed here for almost two years.  less
Pros
motivational and supportive supervisors, exciting and energetic work day, the ability to make a real and positive impact on the lives of many children, creativity is fostered throughout the ELC
Cons
short staffed due to previous administration's legacy
Great workplace
Worker (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJune 21, 2016
Children's home and aid is truly a gem. I have worked at many facilities working with young children, but this place truly takes the cake. My supervisors are compassionate and do a great job of guiding not only the children, but fellow coworkers in the right direction. I felt personally fulfilled and greatful to be working there; if I didn't decide to become a stay at home parent, I would still be there. Nothing but good things to say!
All the money goes to the top execs and staff is unfairly compensated
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJune 16, 2016
While I loved my team at Children's Home and Aid and the work that I did, many that work there are overburdened and jaded and that makes for a negative work environment, and also affects job performance. Most upsetting, however, is how they unfairly apply their policies. For instance, those with a masters that have worked there for years are now paid even less than those coming in with only a Bachelors and no experience. They did not grandfather existing employees into this pay rate change. The CEO makes nearly 400K a year and yet they always speak of budget constraints and how they can't issue raises or match the 401k's. They speak of how much they value employees, but the compensation doesn't reflect this at all. I recognize that it is social work, and none of us entered this field for the money, but having these unfair, unequal policies leads to poor morale and the agency would do well to recognize this. It also leads to good people leaving because they become aware that they can be compensated more fairly elsewhere. All of this aside, however, there are some great supervisors there and these folks, along with some great co-workers made my time there very enjoyable. There are also a lot of training opportunities, so it is not all negative.
Pros
Flexibility, Training opportunities, rewarding work
Cons
poor, unfair compensation, some staff are very negative and jaded and shouldn't be doing this work
Inspiring and helpful workplace that cares about people
Student Family Liason (MHP) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 8, 2016
I love working for this agency. They love to see their employee grow and learn. Upper management is beyond helpful. The atmosphere is pleasant and inviting.
Pros
Great benefits, flexible schedules, room for growth
Cons
No guarantee for funding since we are funded by the state mostly.
Dedicated staff towards making a difference in the lives of our youth and community.
Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 23, 2016
I have the most amazing co-workers and supervisor. We all strive to help the youth we serve and the most enjoyable part about it is seeing the work you put in through the work the youth put out.
Do not work here
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJanuary 24, 2016
The administrative team of the ELC fails to do what is best for the kids and instead they tend to do what is best for themselves. You know a work environment is bad when a teacher puts in their resignation and does not even give two weeks notice because she feels so ill-treated. Kids are constantly being moved from room to room. Often, the children moved are not kept in proper ratio or are placed in a room that is not age appropriate. Additionally, the teachers have no stability during the work day. Lunch breaks are irregular and at times you have to wait 45 minutes to get a bathroom break. Teachers are burnt out quickly due to low staffing at the agency. Employee turn over rate is high due to the ill-treatment and lack of compassion the administrative team has for their employees. The administrative team reprimands employees in front of other employees and constantly gossip in public areas. There is very little professionalism if any. Think twice before working here!!!! If you have no better option, take the job but be sure to keep your resume up to date.
Pros
forming relationships with caregivers and kids
Cons
irregular breaks, gossip, unprofessionalism, low staffing, low compensation, inconsistent expectations
Good company, but
manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 5, 2015
Overall the company is very well funded, however in the early childhood program, the upper management team leaders are a bit dysfunctional. The program has great frontline staff, but they are underappreciated. This is a great place to work when you are first starting in the field of ECE. However if you do work here, do not internalize the experience.
Pros
Competitive pay, good executive leadership
Cons
Dysfunctional ECE management