Children's Home Society of Florida Employee Reviews

busy schedule, seeing kids all over town
Clinical Counselor (Former Employee) –  Panama City, FLMarch 13, 2019
I loved doing therapy with kids and families but I was spread all over the map seeing kids in schools, homes, and other places. One good thing was that my colleagues and I would look out for each other and if one of us was going in one direction or to a certain school, we would see a kiddo in that area for so that we weren't all having to travel there. I found myself staying up late at night doing my documentation at home to stay on top of things, which I won't do that again. A lesson well learned.
Pros
Gratification from helping children and families.
Cons
Stress level from case load
Children;s Home Society
Family Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 22, 2019
non judgemental place to work, plenty of work to keep you busy, management is very fair and supportive, one of best places I have worked for in a long time. Very flexible place to work. Everyone seems to be a team player and work well together. There are a variety of different cultures and we all get along well with each other and respect each other. the most enjoyable part of the job is helping the families we serve. "We Do Good" is the company motto and we really do good for our communities, and families. I learned a lot about the different cultures we serve and their customs. A lot of the families we serve do not speak English, well, however we are able to communicate and educate them on important facts and information that will help them and their children.
Pros
paid holidays and flexibility
Cons
low pay
Family unit but, compensation could improve
Clinical Counselor (Current Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 7, 2019
Good environment, but could be stressful if you are unable to manage. Again with cost of living salary compensation could improve.
Overall great position for starting in the field good teaching ground.
You Don’t Work there for the Pay
Family Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Lake City, FLJanuary 17, 2019
The job is stressful, the pay is not equal to the amount of effort put forth. The lack of security is terrifying. I can guarantee you will not work there for the pay but for the love of children and dedication to improving their lives
Pros
Children
Cons
Stress, lack of staff, little advancement, lack of security measures, bugs, lack of pay for work
Training
Senior Employee Relations Manager (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLJanuary 14, 2019
At CHS, employees are provided with tools needed in order to become successful in the position. Everyone works as a team and are very helpful. Company offers ongoing training online for employees and thus employees are consistently learning new things about the company and culture.
Challenging
Dependency Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Panama City, FLJanuary 8, 2019
CHS is a great place to get experience and to help children. It is very challening and stressful, but can be equally rewarding. There are a lot of things that you have to learn and are required to know as a case manager, but if you have passion for children this can be a great career choice. They do give a lot of time off around the Holidays; Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Years Eve and New Years.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Healthcare
Cons
Stressful, On-call
Poor management
Dependency Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Panama City, FLJanuary 8, 2019
Too many cliques in the office, constant gossip, lack of communication from management, not a supportive work environment. The supervisors are ghetto and unprofessional. They do not help their employees when help is requested. They say things like, “Didn’t you learn that in training?” when you ask for help with something. They say one thing and then do another. They say they can help you and are there for you, but when you ask for help you are told that they can’t be doing your work for you. Also, what is OK for some to do is not OK for all to do. Some people are permitted to work remotely while others are told they may not do so and it’s not allowed. Supervisors have also been observed fraternizing with their subordinates on social media platforms, which should be a big NO-NO in the workplace! When you complete training, you have a protected caseload for the first 30 days. After that you can expect higher caseloads being dumped on you. You can also expect to be scheduled for meetings in which no one tells you about. Or you may also just get assigned to a case and be completely clueless as to what’s going on and then the same day or next day you have a permanency staffing that you don’t know about and are unprepared for because of the lack of communication. Also, CLS Legal Dept will make you feel incompetent because they will ask you things about certain cases that you won’t know or won’t be able to answer and the supervisors won’t help you out or at least back you up and instead ignore your emails or catch an attitude with you when you ask questions. This job is a lot of work  more... but it’s manageable. However, they don’t want you getting any overtime when clearly you will not be able to get all your work done in a single 40 hour work week. I believe what makes the job stressful is the people you work with. The unprofessional supervisors, lack of communication, office cliques, and cutthroatness creates a hostile work environment. If they don’t like you, they will make your work life difficult and make it seem like you are not doing your job no matter how hard you try. You are damned if you do, damned if you don’t.  less
Pros
Decent pay and benefits, ability to make a difference in lives of children and families
Cons
Lack of communication, unprofessional management
I do not wish to make a comment. I had my own personal reasons for leaving the company and do not wish to discuss.
Dependency case manager (Former Employee) –  Panama City, FLDecember 29, 2018
I do not wish to make a comment. I had my own personal reasons for leaving the company and do not wish to discuss my personal views as this does not reflect the good work that the company id doing on a daily basis for the children of Florida.
just need a few good men
Residential Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lutz, FLDecember 27, 2018
the management when i was there was the worst it may have changed if they replaced the ladies in the front office and put mr david up there ill go back
Pros
you get paid
Cons
dealing with not job security not leadership and childish drama between workers
Productive Workplace
Dependency Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Sanford, FLDecember 18, 2018
great company to work for. There are a lot of opportunities for advancement. Workload can become overwhelming at times but there is help available to you.
Horrible management
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLDecember 7, 2018
The worst job I ever had. Very poor management and high turnover. Great mission and resources for families. Events to help children at high risk throughout the year.
Pros
Nice co workers
Nice place to work
Youth Care Child Worker (Former Employee) –  DeLand, FLDecember 5, 2018
Had a great time working there, would love to continue to work for the same company if was given the chance to. The children looked up to me, co workers were willing to help as well.
Horrible
Case Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Cutler Bay, FLNovember 12, 2018
You're not certified yet but everyone asks you to do certified things like drive their clients/foster kids to all their appointments all over south Florida during peak traffic hours. And you can't say no or they'll fire you. You're asked to supervise family visitation with no training. And when you're in class, the so called instructors are incompetent and don't teach you what you really need to know to be efficient. This place is a revolving door because the supervisors don't care about its employees, let alone the children and families. Its all about numbers and paper work. Your hours will be spent watching children or driving them around. Once you pass the exam and become certified they throw you to the wolves with no help. And don't expect to see your own family regularly. The hours are ridiculous (7am -8pm sometimes longer), you'll be expected to care for foster kids while neglecting your own and not getting paid well enough to do so. Upper management is "out of touch" with the minority community and their rudeness and lack of compassion shows.
Pros
Cons
Hours, pay, management
I love the place, helping kids and family
Family Support Worker (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLOctober 26, 2018
A typical day at work was transporting kids, going to the home and checking on the kids and family, making sure that the family and kids needs were made. shopping with the kids, going to the schools and setting in the class with the kids, the kids really liked for me to come to the school and sit with them and be a part of the class with them. Also helping family to adopt kids, going with the family to meet with the kids in the facility. doing home visits with the kid in the adopted family home. Making sure that every thing was going good. making sure that the kids keep their appointments . It was a blessing working with family's and kids, the part i work in was the Adoption department, I would have never left if my unite would have been discontinue. its a blessing serving family and children.
Pros
The kids enjoyed me taking them to lunch or dinner.
Cons
We had fun going to the doctors becasuse we would sing all the way their, and when we could get there thay alway would receive gifts.
The company offers training and support
Clinical Counselor (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLOctober 24, 2018
My line of mgmt. left the company at the same time. It was disturbing since I had to start with someone new after I built solid supportive relationships. In this type of work you need supportive and trustworthy mgmt.
Pros
days off, holiday celebration
Bad work environment. Masasive layoffs.
Business Applications Analyst (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLOctober 22, 2018
Since new CEO has come on board nothing but cuts at the expense of our clients. Morale extremely bad Salaries are well below average because the new CEO has no ethics what so ever.
Pros
Non
Cons
Bad work environment
Great company with great mission
Dependency Case Manager Supervisor (Former Employee) –  FLSeptember 29, 2018
Dependency division remains demanding - requiring many more then 40 hours a week. Management was very committed to staff, responsive and available. If I needed time off - it was provided. This was a wonderful company to work for, pay could be better but it is like any other social service job...
Agency keeps failing audits.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 27, 2018
Agency is not run appropriately, paychecks are constantly not correct as to the whole HR department quitting. Everybody in upper management feels overworked and underpaid so it's a very hostile environment to work in.
Have 40 years of Customer Service both in retail and office environments
Administrative Supervisor (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLSeptember 26, 2018
I was in charge of accounts payable and accounts receivable. Handle all customer service for clients that needed assistance. Worked with various vendors for services that they provided. Was in charge of Property Management for 8 offices. Process mileage for the Division. In charge of our Recognition Committee for events honoring staff. Children's Home Society handled all Foster Care and Adoptions for the State of Florida working with the Department of Children and Families.
Pros
Helping families reunited and the Adoptions Program assistance couples with the Adoption process.
Cons
Seeing Families separating until unification
Worked as an intern
Social Worker Intern (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLSeptember 24, 2018
Learned a great deal interning in their foster care program. I was able to work independently even though I was an intern during this time. My supervisor trusted my abilities to carry out duties designed for a full-time employee.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Children's Home Society of Florida. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight