Children's Hope Alliance Employee Reviews

Run the other way.
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Banner Elk, NCMay 1, 2019
These people will work you to the bone then smile and say how wonderful it is for them to work here. Upper management will cause crisis with the children and leave you to deal with it, then tell you you handled it horribly. They call you every day you are off, they don't care about the kids, the councilors are not qualified and have no idea what they are doing, the management have no idea how to communicate and constantly screw up. Management constantly tell you you aren't doing your job well enough but they preach about praising staff. The Children are rough but are the only thing good about the job unless you get lucky and manage to be placed with amazing coworkers. However, it is unlikely because 80% of the company are spiteful, vindictive, manipulative monsters who only look out for themselves.
Pros
Free food, Children
Cons
Management, hours, long days, lack of planning and communication, poor overall organization
Worth your time
Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Wilkesboro, NCMarch 8, 2019
The experience as a direct care staff can be rewarding and challenging at times. Keeping in mind that we work with kids with mental health issues and severe trauma histories. Management is there to support any time and take the time to talk with you and provide feedback. The most difficult parts of the job are the long hours and managing behaviors at times. Excellent benefits package, PTO accrues quickly, gas mileage reimbursements for work related things and health insurance. Great position to start off your career.
Pros
Benefits, the kids, management
Cons
Turnover, long hours, difficult behaviors at times
Underwhelming Administration and Unethical Practices
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wilkesboro, NCMarch 4, 2019
Reviews for this company have recently seen a rise due to HR requesting that current staff leave positive reviews. However, I would like to emphasize that a review should be well-rounded before it should be taken seriously; anything that is presented as "all bad" or "all good" is more than likely swimming in bias. As such, I will do my best to summarize what was great about Children's Hope Alliance, as well as what is truly wrong with this organization.

The Good: This company has ample room for growth if you can withstand the terrible working conditions, unfair management practices, and borderline unethical standards. Safety for both staff and children is questionable, and there have been several injuries during the short amount of time that I have been here. However, the organization offers a fairly nice benefits package, and most supervisors are laid back and welcoming of questions and direction. In most positions, you will find that supervisors "worked their way up" into their role, so they understand the ins and outs of what you will be doing. This is both good and bad, but I'll focus on the good aspect of this for now.

The Bad: Being a non-profit, this organization cuts corners left and right when it comes to the implementation of numerous policies and procedures. As noted above, injuries abound here, and that includes both children/clients and staff. Although many supervisors are fairly gregarious and understanding of your needs (due to having operated in lower roles at some point in the past, themselves), this also comes with the problem that a LOT of leadership
  more... roles are being held by people grossly underqualified for them. There are genuinely "supervisors" who have no experience supervising or leading a team; they just stayed in their position long enough to climb the ranks, but they are not emotionally prepared to deal with the struggles that accompany the position. Further, you have individuals who are quite indifferent about their role, so they will make decisions with their best interest in mind, rather than what will be best for the progress and wellbeing of the staff/children. Many standards and practices are grounded in experimentation or favoritism, and there is a high level of turnover in many departments. Company morale is quite low, and the organization is critically understaffed across both residential and educational facilities.

The Ugly: This is an organization that is really meant to be a "stepping stone" for new grads. Many individuals who work here started out as CYCWs and had few other options (or were content to remain where they were). The company does not hire much "high skill" labor into roles, which is not good in many ways. Ideas and practices remain stale and unimaginative as a result of the same underqualified, lower-education individuals cycling through, as opposed to them employing advanced labor in these roles from the start. Hiring from within can be a good thing, but this organization does not do this well at all, and it seems as though their primary concern is having a warm body to meet legal guidelines, rather than considering what is the most effective for the adolescents receiving services from here.

Overall, Children's Hope Alliance is quite a mixed bag. It is unfair to tout this company as one that is only self-serving and dissatisfying. It has quite a few merits, and in particular I would recommend this as a great starting opportunity for new graduates who aren't sure what they want to do with their lives. However, for individuals with a more advanced skillset or advanced degree, this is not a company to pursue employment. Preference is given to those with relationships to others in positions of power, and every department is understaffed. You will be expected to perform nearly flawlessly in a myriad of ways, and administrative support is nearly non-existent.
Pros
Benefits package, compensation, opportunities for growth
Cons
Illusory leadership, favoritism/nepotism, unethical practices, lack of safety measures in place
Good place for people who want to help others
CYCW (Current Employee) –  Banner Elk, NCFebruary 26, 2019
CHA is a wonderful place to work if you are passionate about helping other people. The job is challenging at times and can be very quick paced, but the good times with the clients outweigh anything else. Hours may be long, but benefits and pay are good.
benefits
Rewarding Job
Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Banner Elk, NCFebruary 22, 2019
My experience here at Grandfather has been a blessing. Although challenging at times, I find the staff and management are always willing to listen. Let us be honest. The mental health field is not easy. You must have the heart and patience. I love my job here.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Stressful
Work life
Child Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Statesville, NCFebruary 6, 2019
CHA is a place to gain experience but not a place to stay for years. Management is twisted and no matter how hard you work you are never good enough. The hours are long and the pay is terrible.
About Working At Children's Hope Alliance
Seasonal Grounds Keeper (Former Employee) –  Barium Springs, NC 28010January 16, 2019
I worked Monday thru Friday And They thought me about lawn care and painting. My boss was nice and talked to me. The work place its self was everywhere we had different things to do each day. The hardest part I would say would be being outside in the cold.
Love working with the clients, the poor management has driven me away.
Intensive Child Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Statesville, NCNovember 28, 2018
I absolutely LOVE working with the clients in the units! It is a very rewarding job and the clients make putting up with the poor management worth while. The lack of support from the upper management team is hard to deal with. Management also seems to be more focused on making money and less on helping the clients reach their goals.
Pros
The children!
Cons
Poor management, no raises.
unsafe environment to work in for everyone involved.
Employee (Current Employee) –  Statesville, NCNovember 18, 2018
Lack of processes to ensure safety. Same mistakes made over and over. Turnover rate astronomically high, cannot keep employees long enough to maintain stability.
Great Teamwork, Structured Corporate
Full-time Data Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Barium Springs, NCNovember 18, 2018
Very Rigid Structured Non-profit organization. Departments all separated, but individual team members were all great to work with each day.
Rigid job description & execution in that it's not a relaxed atmosphere. Structure & adherence to it didn't make for a relaxing atmosphere. Not enough team meetings for my dept as we were each in a different office most days.
Pros
Good benefits & wellness incentive plans
Cons
Not relaxed, tight deadlines, not enough communication in my dept
Don't do it if you value your time
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Banner Elk, NCNovember 11, 2018
If you value your time, don't bother. They talk about self-care and how to practice it but call nonstop if you're off the clock. It's a miserable job!
Pros
The kids (most of them)
Cons
Poor Management
Routine home life with special needs, highly traumatized children
Therapeutic Foster Parent (Former Employee) –  Franklin, NCOctober 20, 2018
A typical day would start by waking child up to prepare for school. While child attended school normal house work routine and then attend to the child's behavior therapy appointment, recording daily goals and activity. My education was ongoing with seminars and webinars about medication awareness and accountability. The most difficult part of the job was helping children understand that their inappropriate behavior will not allow them opportunity that other children recieve. The most enjoyable part is when a child reaches a goal and shows pride in their achievements.
Pros
Helping children become assets to society.
Cons
Living with temper tantrums from traumatizes children.
Cut throat
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Western North CarolinaSeptember 3, 2018
Terrible management. High turnover rate. After you advance in pay, pressure added to you to get you to crack and quit. Fired/released several employees, promoted unqualified staff to replace. Rehired fired managers as entry-level case managers. IT in Banner Elk infiltrates personnel computers to remove items, then accuses workers of loss. Give you a company car, then charge you to use it. Foster parents are "always right", even at the expense of truth. Hire unqualified foster parents.
The environment is stressful at times
Child Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Banner Elk, NCSeptember 2, 2018
I enjoy my job overall but we are not covered to have a sick day without getting coverage for ourselves. Unexpected sick days occur and they do not work with you. They need to fire more people because we are short staffed in all areas especially in residential.
Pros
health insurance, salary
Cons
long hours and shift coverage
A job versus a career
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Statesville, NCAugust 26, 2018
I went to the agency as I believed that the majority of the employees would have the safety and happiness of the children in foster care as their upmost priority. Instead I saw low moral and bickering among the staff which has to impact the goal of helping families.

Very high turnover in the agency
Pros
solid 403(b) plan
Cons
poor teamwork
Children's Hope Allaince
Child Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Wilkesboro, NCAugust 24, 2018
The management is really good and very much there to help their people through rough times. However, the job has a high turn over rate and can be really stressful at times.
Pros
Good management
Cons
hours
good staff
Child Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Troutman, NCAugust 24, 2018
the staff there is amazing but underpaid i think if they paid staff more there wouldn't so many staff leaving. Then the management team doesn't support the staff as much as they should.
This job isn't for everyone
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Barium Springs, NCAugust 21, 2018
You will work with a lot of different kind of children working here. Children who have been abandoned, abused, neglected. You have to have a special heart and be extra kind to work here. These children need loving kindness.
Toxic environment with no thanks, and draining to your life
Child Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  North Wilkesboro, NCJuly 19, 2018
I’ve written a very descriptive and true review before that was not accepted so this time I will just say, if you value your own mental health, want to be respected by your boss and not ridiculed and made to feel worthless, and don’t want to regret an entire time period of your life solely for the decision you made to take a job that sounds amazing in the interview but will drain your soul and time with your family..... RUN FAR AWAY.
Pros
A few awesome kids will give you some purpose for the short time they are there
Cons
Terrible management, extremely little sleep, gone from family 5-10 days at a time, backstabbing coworkers, kids in the wrong level of care, who traumatize other kids who are there, because of their family trauma
Expect to Be Underpaid and Abused
Juvenile Psychiatric Counselor (Former Employee) –  Statesville, NCMay 29, 2018
Management does not care. They take advantage of good people and reward those that underperform but are willing to kiss up. I loved my kids, but I am also unwilling to be punched in the face by one of them for eleven per hour and then be accused of having provoked her.
Pros
Honestly, you bond with your kids.
Cons
Management, hours, pay... It's all really, really poor.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Children's Hope Alliance. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

1.6Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight