Children's Hospital Colorado Employee Reviews

A good place right out of MA school
Senior Lead Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COOctober 22, 2018
Its an ok company to work for right out of school. If you want to work at the top of your scope as an MA, work elsewhere. When you try to work towards getting more responsibilities, management will shut you down quick!
Loved it
RN (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COOctober 22, 2018
I would take any of the children whom I love for care at CHCO. They really do follow their mission, vision and values. They truly make a difference in the lives of their patients, their families, their employees, and the community.
I do NOT recommend
ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COOctober 18, 2018
Terrible company culture, lack of accountability, efficiency means nothing, lack of inspiration, most people are only there to collect a paycheck not make a difference
Executive Admin Assistant
Executive Assistant to Vice President of Finance (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COOctober 17, 2018
Calendar and meeting control
Administrative coordination between Department heads
Data entry - filing - calendar management
Phone and Travel Management - training
Phone triage for immediate Directors/ VP's
Daily organization schedules - file preparation
Set up for meetings.
Invoice entry
Basic office set up for new employees
Pros
M-F job -
Great place to work.
Regulatory Affairs Specialist (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COOctober 9, 2018
CHCO is a great place to work if you want your career to be meaningful and impact children and their families. There is a strong push to further develop the research program at Children's so there are many opportunities to be had.
Children's Hospital Colorado the Brave and the Beautiful
Employee (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COSeptember 30, 2018
One thing I've notice is the majority of the staff is aesthetically pleasing. The people that see the most lateral movement with the hospital are tall white men and very attractive women (usually white), but that's not unlike most of business world.
The biggest issue is that there is no consequence for not meeting performance or non-ethical behavior. Either management fears confrontation, so just turns a blind eye, or they don't bother to document ongoing issues, or there's a big dose of favoritism.
There is very little reward for going above and beyond. People who consistently go above and beyond may get a percentage or two more than those doing the bare minimum for annual performance reviews. This creates a culture of scraping the surface. The morale is incredibly low and there is a great deal of bitter, gossipy behavior by the most tenured members.Lastly, they promote from the outside more often than not. There is very little opportunity to advancement and rather from choosing from amongst the pool of internal qualified candidates, they hire from the outside.
I will say that this review applies specifically to a department under the Patient Financial Services umbrella. The clinical staff seems to be happy as peaches and rewarded and recognized consistently.
Pros
Aside from violence, you can get away with just about anything (going awol, watching movie, spending your entire day gossiping).
Cons
Promotions and movement between departments is almost impossible for average looking people.
Great pediatric care hospital
Medical Coder (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COSeptember 25, 2018
Learned a lot about Pediatrics. You receive a group email every morning with your assignment. You work a set schedule and need to use your PTO for medical/dental appointments and if work runs low (if you want to be paid). Occasional fun events outside of work.
Pros
Remote availability
Cons
No flex time, Run out of work usually by Wed/Thurs
Overall a great place with a great mission
Manager (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COSeptember 4, 2018
Each and every person has a role to play in making sure the children are given the best opportunity for better health and Children's Hospital Colorado helps all it's employees ensure that they are a part of it.
Awesome
Internal Patient Transporter (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COAugust 7, 2018
Cool place to work at. I learned a lot of cool stuff. Manager was nice, Lots of new friendly faces. Big place. Nice nurses. The work was very good. The schedule was flexible
Its Work
CERTIFIED NURSING ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 26, 2018
It's a nice place to work. People are usually nice. Kids are fun to work with and the families are good. Management is good. Every clinic and floor is different though I can only speak for my unit.
Pros
fun activities with children
Cons
Short breaks
Great work environment
Clinical Nurse III - Bedside nurse; Charge nurse (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COJuly 25, 2018
As a Magnet Hospital, the employees overall are very happy. We work well as a team for the same mission. The organization is comprised of renowned team members who perform miracle every day.
Worst place ever
Sr. Desktop Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJuly 24, 2018
Children's Hospital has gone from a great place to work to the worst place I have ever seen over night. They are run by the most vindictive hateful people I know of. They are two faced, and totally without morals. It is the most toxic work environment, with deplorable working conditions. They have employees that tell vendors, "I'm sharing this pricing with you because I want to set you up for success" Really; They constantly cut corners and constantly cry about having no money. Of course they have no money with a top heavy leadership structure, over 100 directors, VP's, and officers all making 6 & 7 figure incomes. I wouldn't wish this place on my worst enemy!
Pros
there are none anymore
Cons
With over 100 directors, VP's, and officers they don't know what they are doing
Amazing Patient population
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COJuly 24, 2018
Working within a clinic where you see and array of different cultures and personalities and yet they are all here as one due to the diagnosis's. Working in this clinic that you are able to see patients and there family's come in multiple times each month and are able to have a relationship (so to say) with them is really rewarding.
overall good place to work
RN Emergency Dept (Current Employee) –  Parker, COJuly 20, 2018
Has its ups and downs as all companies do, benefits and pay could be better, love community events and working with children. Quality care, top notch staff.
A Place to Build Bridges
Patient Family Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 14, 2018
One of the main bridge builders with our customer/clients is making them feel right at home. Establishing a feel that the parents are being heard without making them feel as if they are just another person checking in is key to our growth and the opportunity to grabbing the complete and accurate information that is needed to get our jobs done. A simple act of care has allowed us to receive great compliments on our work as well as creating an "Revolving Door" effect. It's great to hear others state that they have heard great things about our location and what we do. It's the little things that go the furtherest in our line of work.
Research Nurse (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COJuly 5, 2018
Floor nursing is a little less flexible and supported. Ambulatory nursing is pretty well supported in terms of work life balance. I enjoy working here
Great Place To Work
Case Management (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COJuly 5, 2018
A typical work day is fast paced, and provides one to utilize their skills. Management cares about you as a person. Organization offers several events for keeping yourself healthy and physically fit.
Orthopedic Technician II (Current Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COJune 19, 2018
It is a wonderful place to work for the most part. There have been some issues with certain coworkers, but that is to be expected with any large company.
It's a Hospital
Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COJune 11, 2018
It's what you would expect from any hospital in terms of schedule, rotation, attendance requirements. They are driven towards zero safety events and promote that heavily organization wide for both patients and families as well as team members.

Work-life balance is not great, but again it's a hospital. This has been my experience at many institutions.

Benefits are terrible. Absolutely dreadful. And it seems like they take away more and more each year.
Great Experience for First Job Out of School
PHARMACY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COMay 31, 2018
I started at Children's right after I graduated Pharmacy Technician school. I believe that my 2 years at Children's gave me invaluable experience and knowledge, that I will take with me through to my future as a pharmacist. I learned both sterile and non-sterile compounding procedures, drug information, and how to work alongside with physicians, nurses and pharmacists.