Children's Hospital Colorado Employee Reviews

High Performing, Productive, Patient-Centered Organization
Epic Analyst (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CODecember 1, 2018
Childrens Hospital Colorado is a great place to work. We're really focused on improving the health of children.

The organizational enviroment has changed over time and there has been more emphasis on efficiency in the organization. There is a high emphasis on retention of high performers to promote the organization in the industry.
Pros
Benefits Package
Cons
Work-life balance
Children's Hospital Colorado the Brave and the Beautiful
Employee (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COSeptember 30, 2018
One thing I've notice is the majority of the staff is aesthetically pleasing. The people that see the most lateral movement with the hospital are tall white men and very attractive women (usually white), but that's not unlike most of business world.
The biggest issue is that there is no consequence for not meeting performance or non-ethical behavior. Either management fears confrontation, so just turns a blind eye, or they don't bother to document ongoing issues, or there's a big dose of favoritism.
There is very little reward for going above and beyond. People who consistently go above and beyond may get a percentage or two more than those doing the bare minimum for annual performance reviews. This creates a culture of scraping the surface. The morale is incredibly low and there is a great deal of bitter, gossipy behavior by the most tenured members.Lastly, they promote from the outside more often than not. There is very little opportunity to advancement and rather from choosing from amongst the pool of internal qualified candidates, they hire from the outside.
I will say that this review applies specifically to a department under the Patient Financial Services umbrella. The clinical staff seems to be happy as peaches and rewarded and recognized consistently.
Pros
Aside from violence, you can get away with just about anything (going awol, watching movie, spending your entire day gossiping).
Cons
Promotions and movement between departments is almost impossible for average looking people.
Productive, Collaborative, and Fun place to work
Value Analysis Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Aurora, CONovember 15, 2018
Culture is great and very appreciative of employees, I have a great work team and in my role, I interact with clinicians in just about all area's and I can say that everyone is cooperative and takes great pride in doing the best they can in their role. This is a place with high energy and one of the best work places I have ever worked.
Pros
Beautiful work environment being a children's hospital, also on a campus with the medical school, adult hospital, and VA hospital. Very pretty environment all around.
Cons
Need to use PTO time for holidays
It's a Hospital
Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COJune 11, 2018
It's what you would expect from any hospital in terms of schedule, rotation, attendance requirements. They are driven towards zero safety events and promote that heavily organization wide for both patients and families as well as team members.

Work-life balance is not great, but again it's a hospital. This has been my experience at many institutions.

Benefits are terrible. Absolutely dreadful. And it seems like they take away more and more each year.
Amazing Workplace
Inpatient Service Specialist/RL (Current Employee) –  ColoradoApril 10, 2018
Children's is an amazing place to work, the benefits are amazing, the staff is amazing. What this hospital actually does for patients and families is priceless, I have never seen anything like it. They treat you like family. However the management in different departments could use a little work and job advancement is pretty difficult in the administrative role, its like you have know someone to get a job.
Mental Health Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COApril 17, 2018
Arrived early to receive report on the patients being served.
I learned that each patient is different and knowing that it was beneficial for me and the patient to approach each situation differently.
Management was very supportive.
The culture was positive.
The hardest part of the job was the days of working with patients who were in crisis and struggled to handle there stress. This, at times required restraining the patient for the safety of themselves or others.
The most enjoyable part of the day was the feed back you received from others on how I made a difference in there lives.
Pros
Clean environment & materials to perform my job effectively.
Cons
Difficult patients
Executive Admin Assistant
Executive Assistant to Vice President of Finance (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COOctober 17, 2018
Calendar and meeting control
Administrative coordination between Department heads
Data entry - filing - calendar management
Phone and Travel Management - training
Phone triage for immediate Directors/ VP's
Daily organization schedules - file preparation
Set up for meetings.
Invoice entry
Basic office set up for new employees
Pros
M-F job -
Has alot of great people here
Administrative Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Aurora, CODecember 5, 2018
I do like CHCO but in some areas but I've outgrown the company. Promoting from within is hard to accomplish in my opinion.
I have nothing else to say not fair we are forced to review company.
Pros
pay
Cons
PTO benefits vacation benefits
Great Work Place
Unemployed (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CODecember 3, 2018
Friendly and an amazing environment to further medical knowledge, and education oriented place. Management ensured that all staff was taken care weather it was professional or personal, amazing.
A good place right out of MA school
Senior Lead Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COOctober 22, 2018
Its an ok company to work for right out of school. If you want to work at the top of your scope as an MA, work elsewhere. When you try to work towards getting more responsibilities, management will shut you down quick!
I do NOT recommend
ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COOctober 18, 2018
Terrible company culture, lack of accountability, efficiency means nothing, lack of inspiration, most people are only there to collect a paycheck not make a difference
Great place to work.
Regulatory Affairs Specialist (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COOctober 9, 2018
CHCO is a great place to work if you want your career to be meaningful and impact children and their families. There is a strong push to further develop the research program at Children's so there are many opportunities to be had.
Worst place ever
Sr. Desktop Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJuly 24, 2018
Children's Hospital has gone from a great place to work to the worst place I have ever seen over night. They are run by the most vindictive hateful people I know of. They are two faced, and totally without morals. It is the most toxic work environment, with deplorable working conditions. They have employees that tell vendors, "I'm sharing this pricing with you because I want to set you up for success" Really; They constantly cut corners and constantly cry about having no money. Of course they have no money with a top heavy leadership structure, over 100 directors, VP's, and officers all making 6 & 7 figure incomes. I wouldn't wish this place on my worst enemy!
Pros
there are none anymore
Cons
With over 100 directors, VP's, and officers they don't know what they are doing
lab week; and holiday ;employye appreciation days
Laboratory Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CO 80045May 6, 2018
worked very early in the morning because heart transplant patients had to be drawn at a certain time there was only two of us at that time so we could be in a room for at least an hour .thru out the day we would get real busy we had to do sweat testing and Glucose tolerance test it took away from the team so it felt short staffed all the time;.the culture was good we had a blendid environment.the Hardest part of the job was the hard patients that we came in contact with even though I enjoyed it and what I enjoyed the most was coming into contact with the little ones and phlebotomy training.
Pros
trainer
Cons
unable to use the skill as a lead
Amazing Patient population
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COJuly 24, 2018
Working within a clinic where you see and array of different cultures and personalities and yet they are all here as one due to the diagnosis's. Working in this clinic that you are able to see patients and there family's come in multiple times each month and are able to have a relationship (so to say) with them is really rewarding.
.No comments at this time
MANAGER, ACCOUNTS PAYABLE (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COApril 25, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Childrens Hospital Colorado. If not for the new management that was brought that changed the culture, I would have liked to have remained with Childrens Hospital.
Fun and Inviting Place to Work
Clinical Assistant, Regional Float Team (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COFebruary 28, 2018
Although working with some of the sick kiddos can be sad and draining, there is a special joy working in this environment. A greater purpose for coming to work every day, keeping the kids happy, helping them feel better and easing the parents concerns by providing humble expertise in answering all of their questions.
Pros
Great Benefits, Good Nursing Leadership
Cons
Highly Competitive, Can be Cut-Throat
Positive Workplace
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CONovember 22, 2018
My experience at CHC was excellent, and I absolutely adored my co-workers. I had almost 6 years of Level 1 & 2 Trauma experience at the time I was hired, but I was relatively new to the pediatric world of emergency medicine. My colleagues were supportive and welcoming and I learned so much during my years there. I am eternally grateful for the opportunity to have worked in pediatric emergency medicine at CHC!!
Pros
Employee support + awesome people
A Place to Build Bridges
Patient Family Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 14, 2018
One of the main bridge builders with our customer/clients is making them feel right at home. Establishing a feel that the parents are being heard without making them feel as if they are just another person checking in is key to our growth and the opportunity to grabbing the complete and accurate information that is needed to get our jobs done. A simple act of care has allowed us to receive great compliments on our work as well as creating an "Revolving Door" effect. It's great to hear others state that they have heard great things about our location and what we do. It's the little things that go the furtherest in our line of work.
Its Work
CERTIFIED NURSING ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 26, 2018
It's a nice place to work. People are usually nice. Kids are fun to work with and the families are good. Management is good. Every clinic and floor is different though I can only speak for my unit.
Pros
fun activities with children
Cons
Short breaks