Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Employee Reviews

Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia
Registered Nurse, Sedation/Radiology RN (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 19, 2019
This is a good children's hospital with many breakthrough treatments for children with complex medical issues. Staff is kind and caring. The institution is growing as a whole
Great work place
Environmental Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 13, 2019
A typical Day at work would consist of wiping down lounge table,mopping the kitchen floor, vacuum the lounge, taking the trash out of 6 labs, cleaning 4 bathrooms and a coffee room. I learned responsibility and how to work smarter not harder. My managers were great from top to bottom. The culture of the work place was one big happy family. The hardest park of the job was to see the very sick kids. The best part of the job was to keep the areas clean for the lab Techs to work and find cures.
Pros
Stabilty and fun work place
Cons
running out of chemical for our cleaning supplies
It was okay
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 13, 2019
I was an intern when I worked at CHOP and it was okay. My manager was disorganized so that was not great. Otherwise, the nature of the work felt meaningful and there were opportunities for research.
Confusing Hiring Process
Contractor - Telecommunications Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 13, 2019
So I applied for the Principal Collaboration Engineer Position, and instead they hired me as a contractor. This was unclear through most of the process since it is not the position I thought I was applying for. I was looking for a change so I took the job anyway. I'm still not sure it was such a good Idea. As a contractor there is no PTO and I feel as though management doesn't have much love for contractors. I sat around for the first few weeks with not much work to do, so I would just shadow the other Telecom guys to learn the environment. A few weeks in, I get called into the managers office. Apparently it appears as though I am not working. I tried to explain that I had been asking for more work for weeks but the whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Also, many of the Telecom techs here are looking for other jobs, as the culture here is not what it should be. Everything at CHOP is very silo'd and I have not been enjoying my time here. THey silo'd me into a position where I basically just do moves adds and changes to the devices. No challenge in it, no opportunities for promotion or raises, nothing.
Pros
Contractor-flexibility and can leave at any time.
Cons
Unclear job requirements, confusing hiring process, Silo'd teams.
Would not go back to CHOP
Psychiatric Resource Nurse (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 6, 2019
Strange culture at CHOP, overall nurses are very young and the hospital needs some serious outside consultation to assist in revising and building a safe psychiatric milieu with children who present with complexities. Moreover, they need mature and experienced psychiatric nurses, and psychiatric nurse practitioners.
The children are very mismanaged with regard to mental health and behavior management. It's all kids running the show BAs and nurses with no or minimal psych experience and management is off the grid in some fantasy land where they spend hours of time deliberating over a sentence on a power point slide and are clueless when managing an acute psychiatric behavioral emergency. Not safe!
Pros
salary is better than average
Cons
inexperienced psychiatric nurses, no leadership
Very very nice place to work
Admissions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 4, 2019
I loved it at Chop, I would go back there it offered a position. It’s very hard to get in now, because of how they do the hiring process, I will keep trying their benefits are excellent!
professional environment
Nurse Practioner (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA 19104February 24, 2019
Work days at CHOP are very acutely paced and busy. The culture of the workplace can be competitive at times but staff is very professional and good at what they do.
Excellent hospital and mission
Interim Co-Director (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 22, 2019
CHOP is truly a world class hospital and research institute. The focus is on the investigators and docs delivering treatment to children. The administration is often overlooked or understaffed.
Disappointing culture
Director (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 22, 2019
I was excited to start work at this famous hospital/research center, in basic research. Unfortunately I found much of the leadership to be unadaptable and petty when critical problems were brought to their attention. It was a toxic & unproductive environment.
The people that do well here made a name for themselves somewhere else first.
IS Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 14, 2019
I work with a great group of guys on this team. We all get along well and work very well together helping each other out. The hardest part of the job is waiting on a project to start. The manager for our group seems to be a very fair person and will work with you. The most enjoyable part of this job is keeping very busy all the time.
Clinical Research Coordinator
Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 13, 2019
The work is generally predictable, but can be sometimes be unpredictable, and at times, very fast-paced. The organization has a thorough training program for CRC's with lots of support via internal organizations. CHOP's research program is well-organized, and regulatory offices are responsive and helpful. Most of CHOP's research systems are fully electronic.The workload can sometimes be high, but the salary is competitive compared to neighboring organizations. It's a rewarding job, and many people stay with the organization long-term.
Pros
Training, support, atmosphere
Cons
No remote work opportunities, no flexibility in schedule
I learnt a ton from my internship here
Bioinformatics Intern (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 10, 2019
A bioinformatics internship here is an invaluable experience. You get to work on sophisticated projects with some of the best mentors in the field. It was a great experience to prepare me for working in industry.
Terrible Management
Access Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 25, 2019
I’ve worked in this organization for nearly 5 years. High turnover rate due to poor management. Employee information isn’t kept confidential amongst leadership. High school mentality amongst leadership. Leadership lacks understanding of what a manager/supervisor should be. No chance of advancing if you’re not interested in maintaining personal relationships with leadership. Very discriminatory culture. Lacks diversity in management roles within my department. Overworked due to an adequate staffing. Underpaid. Management blocks movement to other departments. Terrible place to work if you aren’t willing to compromise morals and integrity. Lots of favortism. Administrative management lacks experience and fails to function as a team. Poor work culture. Toxic environment. HR very onside—works for company NOT employees
Benefits
Cons
Management doesn’t know how to manage, Doesn’t know how to do the work. HR very onesided, Favoritism, No help, No advancing, Poor culture.
Not a good place work
Central Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 23, 2019
It's stressful working here; management doesn't care, there isn't any teamwork, and there is a nice amount of employees in other departments that are rude. It's a high school environment everyone is childish and backstabbing and will go a mile to get you fired. No support from management what so ever and don't expect to get adequately trained to do the job you were hired for.
Pros
The pay
Cons
Everything else
As a CHOP employee
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 17, 2019
Being a CHOP employee was enjoyable. Working CHOP was a great experience and I learned a lot over the years. I have more from department to department so they encourage you to stay with them but change fields and departments.
Pros
benefits, co-workers, education
Cons
Some management
Doctors are great!!
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 15, 2019
Loved the doctors that I worked for, patients, and most of my coworkers. Learned a lot from doctors, patients, families, and experiences. Most enjoyable part of the job was the families. Management was the most difficult part of the job.
Pros
awesome families, great doctors
Cons
management
Great Place to Work
Environmental Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 15, 2019
I loved my job! I thought they would offer me another position within the company, but that did not happen so I resigned, I was hurt and could no longer lift the 50 lbs required, I was not given the option to move to another department.
Child Life Internship (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 9, 2019
After completing my internship, I feel that I learned from one of the best hospitals in the nation. Everyone was patient and encouraging making my learning experience better than I could ever imagine.
Pharmacy Dept
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 8, 2019
The department is unorganized with money being the driving force of decisions rather then employee satisfaction. I can not speak for other departments, but the pharmacy gives you no chance of growing unless you are friends with hire ups
Good for resume
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 6, 2019
Its a great place to have on your resume. Pay is ok for a childrens hospital. advancement is political at times but easy if you know the right people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP20%
In the Top 20% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

Powered by Comparably