Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters

Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
No room for advacement
Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 31, 2018
First off I love work with the people my department there is just no growth. The patient that we see are all great to see the changings in there lives over the years has been one of the most wonderful things. I have been employed at CHKD for 11 years and keep being told that other positions I apply for would either be a pay cut or I'm over qualified. There is no reward or appreciation for long time employees. I am stuck, because the only position I can take now would be a Supervisor position and there are currently no openings for a Supervisor and a position is not going to be created for me so what are you to do.
Pros
Can take off whenever needed. Co-workers are awesome
Cons
No growth or room for advancement
Poor management
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAJuly 1, 2018
I am always excited to start a new job even if it is low wages. Depending on the manager, the work load was not consistent or even among employees. Very thrifty meaning very little AC in the summer and very little heat in the winter. There was no employee appreciation and the managers were stressed out because of the District Managers.
Pros
Other employees
Cons
District manager
Advancement in my opinion takes to long to obtain
Patient Information/ Security (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 23, 2018
A great company to work for, where there is room for growth and advancement if you desire to move to the next level. Great company and great people ..
Pros
Able to work and attend school with out many interfuptions
Cons
Salary is low not always able to pay my bills, still have to find another job.
Very fast paced enviorment. Wonderful nurses and doctors to work with.
RECEPTIONIST/SCHEDULER, CHKD (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 21, 2018
Answering the phones and greeting patients with their parents or care givers. Receiving co-payments. Filing insurance(s). Balancing cash drawer at shift end. Scanning information into patients charts.
Pros
Feeling like I made a difference in the childrens experiences.
Cons
Having to explain to patients why they are waiting. Usually because of a sick child being seen.
Children's Hospital provides the community with top notch treatment of children
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 14, 2018
CHKD is a very good hospital which includes neonatal and pediatric intensive care and top notch emergency room. I am very confident when taking my children here and I know I will only receive the best, most advanced care possible.
Productive and a great place to learn many opportunities for advancement
Patient Information/ Security (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 13, 2018
A wonderful place to work, but sad times also. We work very hard to provide a safe, secure place for our children and staff. Our main concern is providing the best care for every child that enters Children's Hospital whether it is for admission or just a clinic appointment. I have learned a great deal, working at CHKD.
Pros
learning experience.
Cons
Low pay
Productive and fun place to work
Front Desk/Surgery Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 7, 2018
I always loved working with the kids and the families. Always busy to keep the day going never a dull day. Doctors and nurses were very caring people.
basic
Patient Access Lead (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 3, 2018
fun but hectic work environment, with poor management all around. Also riddled with staffing issues. Could improve relations with employees and how they balance he employees life to work ratio.
Busy Workplace
Patient Access Technician II (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 30, 2018
CHKD was a great place to work part time. It was very flexible in scheduling and gave you an opportunity to balance your full time work life. I would recommend anyone to work here.
Career Growth Amazing
Office Supervisor II, Patient Access (Current Employee) –  Suffolk, VA 23435May 10, 2018
Awesome place to work. Family oriented, career growth, it is definitetly more than just a hospital. I have went through about 5 promotions in this hospital. I have had a great work experience.
Pros
fair place to work
Cons
pay
Very Good Company
Patient Registration Tech (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 8, 2018
I love working here I just need more money It is a good company to work for but I just need more money and new company to advance more .. I have been here for 26 years and I want to start a new job in another company with new people
Good
Cons
Goof
Informative
STUDENT ATHLETIC TRAINING INTERN (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 8, 2018
Throughout my time with CHKD I enjoyed my experience. It was a different type of environment than what I am usually used to, but it was very informative. I learned a lot of key lessons about athletic training while I was observing under their trainers!
CHKD is an excellent company
Behavioral Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 8, 2018
CHKD is an excellent company to work for. The people are extremely gregarious and compassionate. The benefits are great and there a lot of advancement opportunities.
Pros
Employee benefites
Cons
Long work hours
Gossiping, unorganized work place.
Health Information Technician (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 1, 2018
Management is very unprofessional and plays favorites with there employees. Very unorganized, hot one day and the next they're cold. Uncomfortable place to work, just get your job done and go home, if they are even happy with that.
Great environment
LPN (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 28, 2018
I loved my job. There were definitely hiccups in the road with management shifts. I enjoyed working in the hospitals and at the satellite clinics. I would still be there if it wasn't for military orders.
Pros
working as a team
Cons
management change
Work with the kids at your own risk
Clinician I (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 21, 2018
The job is very underpaid, but the patient to staff ratios are admittedly the best in the area. There are significant problems with favoritism, and with uneven treatment of staff. Would not recommend as a good place to work.
Pros
work with kids
Cons
make 15-25% less than everyone else in your field in a 100 mile radius
Wonderful supportive environment
Hospital Chaplain (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 21, 2018
A typical day included answering and responding to level 1 trauma codes to addressing special spiritual/family needs in PICU/ICU units. Provided spiritual care and informed on advance directives for critically or terminally ill children. Provide family bereavement services. Responded to on call traumas and codes throughout the entire hospital.
Pros
Excellent supportive work environment
Cons
It was part time.
great benefits
Scheduling Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 16, 2018
this job was an awesome experience that I had in which I learned so much however I decided to leave this job due to numerous reasons but being unhappy became the main reason due to management.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAApril 12, 2018
Working in these places gave a sense of belonging to a team. management was always willing to assist and not downplay the role's of any individual. Great environment
Pros
On Campus Lunch available
Cons
Distance to drive
Poor Managment
Patient Access Technician (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 10, 2018
Management will hire with little to no experience and not adhere to the schedule restrictions. Generally poor work hours for trying to compensate for high turn over rate. Crossed trained may be required between difference departments under same management. Benefits are the reason people stay. Low pay for heavy work volume.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Low Pay