Children's Institute Employee Reviews

Horrible leadership
Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 14, 2018
The leadership here has been the worst that I have experienced. Management can be very unprofessional and expect miracles from employees without examining the barriers there are to complete many of the task. Not much growth and many employees are very unhappy at work which makes it difficult to find positive coworkers or supervisors.
Pros
Good Time off benefits
Enjoyable environment
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 25, 2018
I'm a substitute teacher at Children's Institute and i really enjoy working there. The Management is very professional and are willing to help you grow within the company. You get the proper training before starting new assignments and you learn as you go. If you become a full time it could be a little stressful at first but you could always count with extra helped with management and other teachers in the company. I'm looking to work with special Education and expand my learning that's why i'm looking for another job. If your just starting your career as an educator this is a great start you learn so much and could grow in the company if you show initiative. They really care about their employees well being and concerns. The pay for my position is not to high but with all the experience i gained it was worth it.
Pros
Great staff, training, fast pace
Productive and fast paced work environment
Head Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 18, 2018
Provided an environment that's welcoming to parents, children and the community. Offered training to new employees for advancement within the company. Offers a good healthcare, 401k plan, dental, vision, and paid time off.
Typical job
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 1, 2018
Most of the day you will be working on emails and with families from all different backgrounds.
Allows you to expand your knowledge and skills through out the different departments.
nice people
Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 14, 2018
A lot of work but the people make it fun. I grew into 3 different positions while at CII. had the chance to attend conferences and trainings to learn new skills.
Great learning experience
Student Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAMarch 2, 2018
The Children’s Institute is a place that values their students family and they genuinely care about the families that come in. The staff is friendly and they always greet parents in a friendly manner. I was only a volunteer but I was able to observe that the employees were values and cared for.
Worst job ever.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 28, 2018
Micromanaged. Favoritism plays huge role. Adequate training is not provided. Expected to do more than job description entails. Stressful. Worst job I have ever had. Turn over rate is high for a reason. Throughout my one year there i had four different supervisors. What does that say?
CII is a faced paced extremely stressful work place
Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 23, 2018
stressful work environment with unrealistic work load. No respect for family life balance which made it extremely difficult to enjoy working with children and families.
Pros
entertaining trainings
Cons
Unrealistic demands did not allow enough time to fully implement training material
Craziness in the workplace
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 25, 2018
It’s was not good working at one place and now that I left I am being punish. I do not get the 32 hours a week I used to work and sometimes I do not work at all.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short break some children and superviser
gain knowledge but also stress
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 17, 2018
Cii doesn't provide break rooms for teachers at the majority of their sites. There is a lot of classroom behavioral concerns across the sites with lack of services provided within the company. Teachers are unable to unwind during a lunch break because they must take breaks inside the class or somewhere inside where you can still hear and see the children. The outside areas are unsafe due to high crime rates. Upper management is not coordinated and often times not on the same page about how to do paperwork or complete assignments. There is room for growth but it is to the discretion of upper management due to needs of the program. Many sites lack materials as well.
Pros
decent pay for the type of career, good place to learn and advance
Cons
no break room for teachers, poor management, lack of respect from parents
Social Worker Associate
Care Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 17, 2018
Best employer I have ever had. This is a prime example of what all employers should conduct as. It was a real pleasure to work and learn at this location.
Pros
staff, payment, location
Cons
parking
Fast-paced Wraparound program, great clinical internship in L.A. County
Therapist I (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 2, 2017
I really enjoyed being employed by CII. I learned a good deal about clinical assessment and treatment planning with culturally diverse populations. Supervision for M.F.T.I. involved working intensely with children and their families in crisis situations through out L.A. County. Management and supervision were off-site, which made carrying a caseload and meeting with these administrators, weekly, somewhat challenging. The most enjoyable part of the job was the clinical staff and personnel.
Pros
There was often food involved during meetings, certainly during the Holidays.
Cons
This is a great clinical internship, but it is not the opportunity for the meek at heart.
Great place to start
teaching assistant I help (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIOctober 8, 2017
As an aspiring teacher I used this to get experience in my field of study. It was a great help and foundation to where I am today. Very helpful and supportive.
stressful and micromanaged by managers
FATHERHOOD SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 19, 2017
It appears to be a place where taking care of employees and helping them to grow is low on the priority list. the mangers in my department do not communicate clearly the required needs and tasks and appear to focus on mistakes rather than accomplishments of its employees.
Services for families and children at The Day School
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 25, 2017
It is hard to describe the typical day as a result of offering crisis intervention to families and children in The Day School. I did offer team support as needed. I learned to work with other disciplines in order to provide optimal services to our students.
Typical Day
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 14, 2017
Working at Children's Institute was a great experience because of the relationships with co-workers. It provided support because we encouraged each other to go for what we want. Typically, the day starts off busy from setting up outside, meal prep, and classroom activities. There's a lot of writing because of lesson plans, observations, meetings, a lot of reviews from Federal Government, and the list goes on.
Pros
Have some holidays off, meetings with some lunch provided
Cons
Need better pay, support for teachers, less paperwork, and smaller class size
Working with children
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 31, 2017
It was fun helping the children with their reading and art skills. Seeing them have dance lessons and cooking with them was just the icing on the cake. I really do miss that place, I didn't care if it was a volunteer job
Pros
The children
Cons
Short breaks
I dont live there anymore
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 29, 2017
I wish the supervisor was more supportive,,,, or the Area manager cared a little more.... wish I had more to say about the program... blah blah blah blah blah....
Enjoyable work environment
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIMay 16, 2017
The typical work day consisted of caring from children ages 18 months to 5 years old. I learned a lot about child growth and development along with social skills and understanding children more. The management there was very friendly and flexible with hours which made it a lot better for school. The environment was fun and silly with all the kids around. The hardest part of the job would have to be rounding up all the kids outside or in the gym and communicating with some of them since some of the kids were on different social levels then others. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching the kids grow and learn everyday and being able to play with them.
Pros
A lot of fun and silly times
Cons
Screaming and crying kids
Professional Environment
Internship Placement-Lead Therapist (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMarch 21, 2017
Professional job culture. Excellent supervision. I learned a lot clinically because they provide a lot of training and guidance. Culturally diverse environment that is client-focused.
Pros
professionalism
Cons
productivity