Children's Mercy Hospitals & Clinics Employee Reviews

management not on your side always
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 16, 2018
cmh was an ok place to work other than management issues. Management didn't seem to have your back in tough situations which was hard at times when the team needed something done
Focused on negative aspects
Payroll Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 11, 2018
In my time there, I was never complimented with what talents I brought to the position. However, on a weekly basis I was told was I was NOT doing. This was the culture of the management on a daily basis. This is how I was welcomed my first weeks of employment. The team constantly being told we're not doing enough.

It really effects the morale of the team.
New upper management is needed.
RN (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 5, 2018
A new approach is needed with upper management. A new re-investment in dedication is needed for that facility. It's a great place to work, but with changes in healthcare so does the approach to healthcare.
I love the whole hospital
Unit Aide (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 3, 2018
I love coming to work everyday it was beautiful place to work for everyone speak even if they didn’t know I just love everything about cmh it was by far one of my favorite places to work for into different management
Pros
We paid for are own lunch
Cons
30mins breaks
It was great place to work
Admission Registration (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 26, 2018
I really like working for Children's Mercy Hospital. I should have never left. I wish could go back to work there. Had great coworkers. It was nice to be able to help the children.
Pros
Employee benefits, Great benefits
Duties
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 19, 2018
maintaining cleanse and sanitized environment for patients of the hospital, removing hazmat material and waste and to the proper areas for complete removal, locking and securing doors of certain areas and reopening when scheduled time
Great place to work with really great people
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 14, 2018
i worked for Children Mercy for over 8 years. I left, and have regretted it ever since. It is a special place, with some of the best people around. The hospital is a children's hospital that takes its role very seriously in the city. There mission of service and caring is woven into the hearts of every person that works there. I worked in IT, and there was a great work like balance. I never felt like I had to sacrifice my time with my family, and I truly loved coming to work every day. My co-workers became my friends, and I am still friends with many of them to this day.
Pros
Caring environment, reasonable hours, opportunities to learn
Cons
Its a non-profit, so the pay could be better other places, but the benefits make up for it.
Great team atmosphere
Armed Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 5, 2018
Open Urgent Care and Clinics, sit at security post, greet visitors and assist them where to go. Collect co-pays, escort vendors, sign for packages, meet people at the dock for deliveries, escort met and fire department personnel. Respond topic alarms and other alarms. Watch security cameras for suspicious activity. Secure and lock building after close.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
a typical day
Security Officer II (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 4, 2018
Enforce company rules, policies, and procedures with guest and company staff.

Scan incoming visitors and property using driver license scanners.

Monitor closed-circuit monitors footage to check for suspicious activities.

. Execute site-specific security protocol and follow company regulations at all times.

Attend to the security needs of multiple corporate properties both during and after business hours.
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Healthcare
Stable job
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 29, 2018
I like working at children’s mercy in the office. The breaks was stable, and the people there are nice. Faxing, working on the computer, and having much own area where I work at.
Great place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 28, 2018
I was actually there as a temporary employee contracted by ProStaff. All my interactions with other employees, including many physicians, department heads, and resident physicians were very pleasant.
Pros
Shuttled to the hospital from a parking lot.
Cons
Can't think of any.
Challenging but Rewarding
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 27, 2018
As with most jobs in nursing there is the usually cattiness from coworkers but the management of the Operating Room has done a great job at maintaining a positive work environment. They continually support the nurses when conflicts do arise between medical staff and nurses. They focus on solving the problem rather than punishment. I wish I could stay here for my entire career
Great atmosphere
Maintenance Technician, Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 24, 2018
*A typical day consists of taking care of work orders put in by staff.
*I learned to always strive to better myself from management.
*The culture is a melting pot of wonderful employees.
*The hardest part of the job is not having the right equipment when needed and having to order it.
*The most enjoyable part is pleasing staff when their work orders are completed to their satisfaction.
Silo work environment
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 21, 2018
Information not regularly shared with employees. No mentor program for employees who were not a Director or above. Isolated work environment. No consistency in management.
perfect place to start working as a new nurse
Pediatric Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 17, 2018
I worked in the float pool as well at Children's Mercy for the first two years and then moved to the inpatient unit at Children's Mercy South. A typical work day wonderfully varied as one could have a wide variety of ages - from newborn to teenagers. Management was fairly obtainable her. Workplace culture varied from floor to floor - some floors were friendlier and more helpful to newer nurses and each other than others, but overall the goal was patient care. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the frantic parents that one couldn't get through to make them understand that their child was in the best place to receive care. Once a nurse was able to get through, the parents calmed down and were more willing to work with the nurses. With the long term patients I would ask the parents first the best way to deal with patient as they had been dealing with the issue much longer than the nurses had
Pros
the wide variety of ages, the discovery of some bizarre illnesses
Cons
some of the unfriendly floors, seeing children for whom nothing left could be done
Fast-paced and fun working environment
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 16, 2018
A typical day at work involves registering patients and families for their scheduled appointment and collaborating with healthcare staff members to best meet their needs.
workplace
Coding and Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 14, 2018
Children's is a great place to work with friendly and helpful employees. I would refer anyone there for employment. It is a great place to take your children.
Fun work place
Post-doc research fellow (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 12, 2018
The culture and environment is good and benefit is pretty good too.
It is a good place to work.
I learned a lot of skills and the lab manager is very patient to teach me how to use every instrument.
A great hospital that cares for the kids but not the employees.
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 7, 2018
I've seen the staff work their tails off for the kids that come to the hospital. The employees on the other hand are over worked and under staffed. The upper management just has no care for the staff it's all about the money. Through all that the staff still gives great care for the love of the kids.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Under staffed
Work environment intent on research and excellent patient care
Neonatal Nurse Practitioner (NNP) (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 2, 2018
The NICU (where I worked) is an intensive, acute care nursery. Patients that are acutely ill and those in recovery require a large amount of staff and resources. However, resources are not infinite and it is almost impossible to create an environment where assignments lack stress albeit I believe that children's takes this in consideration and makes plans for change as able. Working culture at times is toxic from nursing to physicians. However, this is said to be not tolerated and there is an effort to make change if management is aware. The best philosophy is that every patient is given the best of care regardless of ability to pay. Children's believes in a mission to research, good patient outcomes, as well as being one of the top Children's Hospitals in the Nation (which it is). I enjoyed working here and would love to work here again some day.
Pros
changing children's lives. Money is not the bottom line. Philanthropy supports the mission.
Cons
very busy. Staff need to be have more awareness in reducing cost when able.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Children's Mercy Hospitals & Clinics. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight