Children's Mercy Hospitals & Clinics Employee Reviews

Great company
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 13, 2019
A great place to learn and build on medical terminology and environment. This is a place where its all fast paced, yet, you get the chance to stop and ask questions with seeming to annoy someone. I loved it.
Encouraged collaborative and engaging workplace
Associate Professor of Medicine (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 10, 2019
CMH is a terrific workplace. The Physicians and ancillary staff are outstanding and truly dedicated to patients and their well being. They are dedicated to research and advancing the field of medicine.
Great Place to work
RN (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 8, 2019
The company does strive to promote from within. Many opportunities for career advancement. Poor parking for employees, as well as visitors. The hospital and is clean and very well maintained.
Parent Support Mentor-Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 11, 2018
I loved it but needed a change in career paths. I worked as a Volunteer in the POPS program and I was very pleased with the way they run their program. I am honored to continue to be a part of assisting other Special Needs Families with resources. :)
IS needs strategy and solid leadership from the topmost level
IS Professional (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 21, 2018
IS leadership depends too much on grassroots efforts in lieu of leadership from above. Need standardization everywhere. With new CEO, it is hopeful this will be addressed.
Pros
Plenty to do
Cons
Salary reviews are flat, not performance-based
Great place to participate during clinical rotation
Student (Former Employee) –  KansasNovember 16, 2018
Clinicals here were amazing. The staff was excellent and professional. The culture was so incredibly kind and supportive of one another. It was truly a great environment to be a part of.
Great work environment, no way to move up.
LABORATORY TECHNICIAN II (Current Employee) –  MissouriNovember 13, 2018
Great work environment, no way to move up without getting a higher level degree. Upper level management is great and fosters a great culture, and everyone there is there to help people.
Fast-pace but enjoyable co-workers
Pathfinder and Translator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 12, 2018
There is a lot of walking included and you'll have to know how to handle stressful situations. This was a fast-pace job but very enjoyable to work with others.
Best Job I've ever had
PATIENT ACCESS REPRESENATIVE (Current Employee) –  Independence, MONovember 11, 2018
This is the best job I have ever had. The Hospital cares about you and listens. I plan to retire from here in 40+ years - (that's how awesome it is) DEFF RECOMMEND!
New opportunities for growth
representative (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 8, 2018
Children's Mercy has settled with new and improved leadership and is almost through with a operational excellence transformation. Out with the old and in with the new! Many new opportunities for growth in the business office
Pros
opportunities
Cons
change
Children's Mercy
Sr. Network System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 28, 2018
Children's Mercy allowed me to manage the daily administration of a network/server environment. Monitors network performance and performs testing to provide diagnosis of issues and to assist with deployment of solutions. Installs upgrades, patches, and new applications and equipment. Supports and enforces a disaster recovery, security and back up and restore plan.
Pros
Positive Support in job responsiblities
Cons
Network Training
Small fish in big sea
Critical Care Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 20, 2018
Looks great on your resume! Lowest paying Nursing jobs in the KC Metro area. Fast paced work environment. Benefits were alright. Management could definitely use some improvement.
Pros
Peers
Cons
Organization focused on the health of Children
Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 17, 2018
Children's Mercy is an organization dedicated to the health of children. The organization is very committed to quality work.

I had two different positions at Children's Mercy hospital. The first was as an Education Specialist and the second was as a Program Manager. The positions are very different positions and I have different opinions related to the feedback you are requesting. Most of my professional experience is in education, professional and talent development, so I will answer the questions accordingly.

1. Question. "A typical day at work"? I would not say that there is a typical work day, because everyday comes with its own work, projects and teams of individuals. Healthcare is always changing and you have to be adaptable. Typical workdays include working independently and on teams. Typically I would attend two or three meetings a day. All days included planning and leading teams related to education initiatives. I also was very involved in presenting education and facilitating meetings and programs.

2. Question. "'What you learned"? I became an expert in education and professional development. I became board certified in Nursing Professional Development through the ANPD (Association of Nursing Professional Development) I presented/facilitated many classes on Communication, Leadership, Speaking Up, Education Methods, Creative Teaching Strategies, KEEP CALM, Preceptor Workshop. This list is not exhaustive, as I was a frequent presenter on a variety of topics. I co-chaired the Education Clearinghouse which provided quarterly education
  more... for nursing and other select healthcare disciplines. This education was to keep our healthcare professionals up-to-date on a variety of clinical topics. Not only did I lead the committee and process, but also kept up to date on what our clinicians needed to know. I was responsible for Precepting and the Preceptor Workshop in our organization, which helped me become an expert on the topic. Not only did I revise and present the Preceptor Workshop, but also presented to other groups on precepting and have done consulting on education related to precepting. I sat on a variety of committees in the organization, but one of my favorites was NPSG 15 (National Patient Safety Goal 15) which focuses on adolescent suicide. It was a committee and work that I was very passionate about. I learned a great deal about this topic and worked with our committee to create multiple different education programs.

3. Question "Management"? Well, Children's Mercy has close to 9000 employees, so there are many layers of management. Children's Mercy is committed to talent development. I personally was involved in development of Preceptors-see above. I also sat on a committee who initially developed the Charge Nurse Leadership program. I also taught Communication and book discussion in this program. I was also a presenter in the Nursing Leadership Academy.
Overall, the organization is very committed to leadership/management development.

4. Question "Workplace Culture"? In my position in the Education Department, there was a culture for developing talent and educating. The organization has a rich tradition of supporting professional development. As an active member and officer in the local ANPD organization, Children's Mercy had by far the most education resources. In my department, I would say there was a healthy team culture and we worked well with other departments.

5. Question "Hardest Part of the Job"? I would say the hardest part of the job was related to the size of the organization. It could be difficult at times to understand all of the stakeholders and how things were done. Although I say this is the hardest part of the job, I also enjoyed figuring these things out and getting to know how to get the job done.

6. Question "Most enjoyable part of the job"? I loved this job at Children's Mercy and regret leaving this position. I enjoyed all of the work that I did. I love facilitating and teaching classes. I love planning and leading education teams. I also enjoyed the people I worked with in my department and in the organization. Many of them will be life long friends. I also loved working at Children's Mercy because of the quality work being done there and the commitment to education.
management not on your side always
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 16, 2018
cmh was an ok place to work other than management issues. Management didn't seem to have your back in tough situations which was hard at times when the team needed something done
Worst place I've ever worked
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSOctober 15, 2018
I loved my job but the management didn't care about her staff at all. Too many micro managers. Staff is on edge all the time due to management breathing down their backs. Nurses do not have autonomy in this area.
Pros
Kids
Cons
Everything else
Focused on negative aspects
Payroll Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 11, 2018
In my time there, I was never complimented with what talents I brought to the position. However, on a weekly basis I was told was I was NOT doing. This was the culture of the management on a daily basis. This is how I was welcomed my first weeks of employment. The team constantly being told we're not doing enough.

It really effects the morale of the team.
Stressful/Backstabbing
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Children’s Met yOctober 9, 2018
Be careful! Management in Patient Access is like dealing with snakes in the grass. If you make a noise and state your complaint, even if professionally stated and well-documented, they will still try to blame you. You will be underpaid, overworked, and under appreciated. Stay FAR away.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Good place to work. Consistently rated one of the best places to work in the Kansas City area.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 8, 2018
Has consistently been rated the second best employer in the Kansas City, MO area for many years. Great pay and benefits with annual raises. There is currently a multi-year expansion project due to ever increasing demand. Great job security.
Pros
Central location, Employees are from all over the metro area, Steady work, great pay and benefits. There are a lot of long time employees that makes traing new hires easier.
Cons
Dealing with angry parents, parking for most employees is off site and a shuttle bus takes them to the hospital, Strict attendance guidelines.Facility is 24/7, 365 so there is a lot of slow times during weekends and holidays.
New upper management is needed.
RN (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 5, 2018
A new approach is needed with upper management. A new re-investment in dedication is needed for that facility. It's a great place to work, but with changes in healthcare so does the approach to healthcare.
The kids were the most enjoyable part of the job!
Certified Ophthalmic Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 4, 2018
l loved it, until management changed; Hired a dozen new techs,went EMR, (Electronic Medical Records) They hired new technicians that were willing to be paid less, however had less experience in this field, while letting go of employee's with much more work experience. This job wasn't a good fit anymore. Had to relocate and travel to several different locations.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
New Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Children's Mercy Hospitals & Clinics. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight