Children's Mercy Hospitals & Clinics Employee Reviews

Good place to work. Consistently rated one of the best places to work in the Kansas City area.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 8, 2018
Has consistently been rated the second best employer in the Kansas City, MO area for many years. Great pay and benefits with annual raises. There is currently a multi-year expansion project due to ever increasing demand. Great job security.
Pros
Central location, Employees are from all over the metro area, Steady work, great pay and benefits. There are a lot of long time employees that makes traing new hires easier.
Cons
Dealing with angry parents, parking for most employees is off site and a shuttle bus takes them to the hospital, Strict attendance guidelines.Facility is 24/7, 365 so there is a lot of slow times during weekends and holidays.
Great place to work with really great people
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 14, 2018
i worked for Children Mercy for over 8 years. I left, and have regretted it ever since. It is a special place, with some of the best people around. The hospital is a children's hospital that takes its role very seriously in the city. There mission of service and caring is woven into the hearts of every person that works there. I worked in IT, and there was a great work like balance. I never felt like I had to sacrifice my time with my family, and I truly loved coming to work every day. My co-workers became my friends, and I am still friends with many of them to this day.
Pros
Caring environment, reasonable hours, opportunities to learn
Cons
Its a non-profit, so the pay could be better other places, but the benefits make up for it.
Stressful/Backstabbing
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Children’s Met yOctober 9, 2018
Be careful! Management in Patient Access is like dealing with snakes in the grass. If you make a noise and state your complaint, even if professionally stated and well-documented, they will still try to blame you. You will be underpaid, overworked, and under appreciated. Stay FAR away.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
IS needs strategy and solid leadership from the topmost level
IS Professional (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 21, 2018
IS leadership depends too much on grassroots efforts in lieu of leadership from above. Need standardization everywhere. With new CEO, it is hopeful this will be addressed.
Pros
Plenty to do
Cons
Salary reviews are flat, not performance-based
Great team atmosphere
Armed Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 5, 2018
Open Urgent Care and Clinics, sit at security post, greet visitors and assist them where to go. Collect co-pays, escort vendors, sign for packages, meet people at the dock for deliveries, escort met and fire department personnel. Respond topic alarms and other alarms. Watch security cameras for suspicious activity. Secure and lock building after close.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Small fish in big sea
Critical Care Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 20, 2018
Looks great on your resume! Lowest paying Nursing jobs in the KC Metro area. Fast paced work environment. Benefits were alright. Management could definitely use some improvement.
Pros
Peers
Cons
It was great place to work
Admission Registration (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 26, 2018
I really like working for Children's Mercy Hospital. I should have never left. I wish could go back to work there. Had great coworkers. It was nice to be able to help the children.
Pros
Employee benefits, Great benefits
Rewarding and fun place to work
Certified Charge Ophthalmic Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 20, 2018
Children's Mercy has been an amazing and welcome change for me. Working with children has been a dream come true and the company itself encourages people to learn and move up within the company. They have tuition reimbursement so that you can further your education. The pay and benefits are great. I can't say enough good things about them!
PROFESSIONAL REVENUE CODING OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 13, 2018
The employee benefits are great and the most enjoyable part of working here is knowing that you make a difference. Every level has an impact on the organization.
Very negative environment
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 29, 2018
Everyone is tired, stressed, overworked and underpaid. Were often expected to take on a work load of multiple people. Environmental services is short staffed almost daily. Nobody wants to work as a team and everyone is unhappy with their job. We drag our feet in the way in and leave with aching backs on the way out. Then they beg us to come in for overtime and get upset if we don’t want to. The only thing that keeps me here is my health benefits. I’m constantly applying for other positions here, but have had a hard time getting out of this spot. i don’t know how much longer i can last and feel like sooner or later i will have to let the benefits go so that i can live a better quality of life.
Pros
Healthy benefits
Cons
Overworked, pay, management, everything about the job
Good organization, great benefits
Senor Coding and Reimbursement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 24, 2018
Company is currently going through organizational changes. Not sure of job security. Management has made some statements about work environment, now appears they are back peddaling. Time will tell.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
work location
Over worked and stressful environment
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 11, 2018
I always wanted to work at CMH. I realized it was the biggest mistake. It is a stressful environment with a lot of changes that management is not honest about. Off-site parking and the shuttles aren’t consistent, although your told that in the interview. Employees aren’t offered discounts on lunch and the annual raises are small. No opportunity for growth for most employees. Management and HR have there picks on who they will hire, or allow an internal interview.
Pros
Pay, flexibility and wellness center
Cons
Pay raises, off-site parking and no incentives or opportunities for growth
Okay place to work
IS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 18, 2018
This is an okay place to work for awhile. The culture is not very good and the management is terrible. The benefits are disappearing fast so multiple people have already left and the rest of us are still looking.
Cons
Benefits are being taken away to save money.
Children's Mercy has a lot of opportunities to take advantages based on the abilities to transfer, grow and learn in other departments.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSAugust 1, 2018
My work day oftentimes begins at fast paste. I demonstrated by acting out all of the routine daily functions of my work assignments by prioritizing based on the immediate needs that are presented to me.

I have learned many productive professional tactics of handling and legally eliminate the liabilities within the scope of my job description. I act out these duties to ensure safety and security risk are not jeopardized.

As one who have held a position in the pass in Management I am committed to the integrity of a Company that I enter a employment relationship with as a colleague in contract with to be ethical and demonstrate transparency as it is the number one goal and aim for its greatest success. That is what I also look for when I am under the subordinate directives of those who manage my job performance.

I understand that the vision is based on delivery excellence and professionalism and I strive to give that level of integrity in those two in my work performance to ensure the very least amount of errors. I have had great success doing so and I set my goals to adapt to that workplace culture.

Because I am a upbeat person on integrity, to experience or be afflicted with opposition for displaying any type of loyalty should be prohibited for any colleague presenting the company who would display any acts that gives the appearance of crossing boundaries that questions their honesty and transparency.

It is demeaning and also a disservice to the Company.

To be overlooked and viewed as inexperienced and or dismissed as one who have in the past shared a seat
  more... at the Administrative Management level is a great challenge as it is also disrespectful way to mystify away the values of a veteran giving excellent service to a company.

Any afflictions suffered upon the work ethic of a person renders negativity towards the integrity of a person. I was trained that it effects the credibility of the staff which results in the lack of success in productivity in the department.
Its also disservice to the vision and mission statement and lessen the goal of creating a error free liberated department of staff members who would question trust and begin to judge one another as well as questioned their own abilities in achieving the ultimate success of the Company and that is to obtain excellence by achieving goals through the Art of Total Transparency.

I enjoy helping people, learning new skills, and working with those who like creating a team work friendly and peaceful environment. I also enjoy doing my part in reaching goals that yields successful growth for the company and makes tangible the rewards through satisfaction for a job well done.
Pros
Benefits of meeting good people in different departments that understands the vision
Cons
Long hrs plus OT, no personal time for working OT to supplement income expenses.
perfect place to start working as a new nurse
Pediatric Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 17, 2018
I worked in the float pool as well at Children's Mercy for the first two years and then moved to the inpatient unit at Children's Mercy South. A typical work day wonderfully varied as one could have a wide variety of ages - from newborn to teenagers. Management was fairly obtainable her. Workplace culture varied from floor to floor - some floors were friendlier and more helpful to newer nurses and each other than others, but overall the goal was patient care. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the frantic parents that one couldn't get through to make them understand that their child was in the best place to receive care. Once a nurse was able to get through, the parents calmed down and were more willing to work with the nurses. With the long term patients I would ask the parents first the best way to deal with patient as they had been dealing with the issue much longer than the nurses had
Pros
the wide variety of ages, the discovery of some bizarre illnesses
Cons
some of the unfriendly floors, seeing children for whom nothing left could be done
Work environment intent on research and excellent patient care
Neonatal Nurse Practitioner (NNP) (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 2, 2018
The NICU (where I worked) is an intensive, acute care nursery. Patients that are acutely ill and those in recovery require a large amount of staff and resources. However, resources are not infinite and it is almost impossible to create an environment where assignments lack stress albeit I believe that children's takes this in consideration and makes plans for change as able. Working culture at times is toxic from nursing to physicians. However, this is said to be not tolerated and there is an effort to make change if management is aware. The best philosophy is that every patient is given the best of care regardless of ability to pay. Children's believes in a mission to research, good patient outcomes, as well as being one of the top Children's Hospitals in the Nation (which it is). I enjoyed working here and would love to work here again some day.
Pros
changing children's lives. Money is not the bottom line. Philanthropy supports the mission.
Cons
very busy. Staff need to be have more awareness in reducing cost when able.
Challenging but Rewarding
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 27, 2018
As with most jobs in nursing there is the usually cattiness from coworkers but the management of the Operating Room has done a great job at maintaining a positive work environment. They continually support the nurses when conflicts do arise between medical staff and nurses. They focus on solving the problem rather than punishment. I wish I could stay here for my entire career
Difficult to move up within patient access
Access Representative II (Current Employee) –  KansasAugust 16, 2018
Management promotes off of who they are related to and who their favorites are. If you have differing opinions you will be blacklisted. Access representatives are the lowest paid within patient access but are required to do everything every other department in patient access does including collection of copays and previous balances and pre registering patients even though there are separate areas of the department paid more to do those things plus they get to work from home and aren’t yelled at by upset families. The pay is great compared to other hospitals in the area but honestly this place is a mess that’s going down hill fast
Focused on negative aspects
Payroll Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 11, 2018
In my time there, I was never complimented with what talents I brought to the position. However, on a weekly basis I was told was I was NOT doing. This was the culture of the management on a daily basis. This is how I was welcomed my first weeks of employment. The team constantly being told we're not doing enough.

It really effects the morale of the team.
Best place to take care of kids
RN Same Day Surgery/PACU (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMarch 27, 2018
Day Surgery management is honest and fair. Very fast paced, caring environment. Nurses are supported and encouraged on a daily basis. Adequate compensation and educational opportunities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Children's Mercy Hospitals & Clinics. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight