Children's Mercy Hospitals & Clinics Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great Place to Work
Access Representative I (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 2, 2018
Wonderful coworkers, management qualified and helpful, would highly recommend to anyone seeking a positive work environment! Still take my children here and wouldn’t take them anywhere else!!
Don't let the supervisor or manager's kindness fool you
Coder (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 20, 2018
I worked from home which was nice until they decided to outsource our work and not tell anyone. I received several great productivity reports and was continuously reassured that I was doing fine and had no issues and then I was forced to do a job that my supervisor and manger knew that I was not qualified to do. I was told that I would be trained and have a few months to learn the job. One month later I was told that my productivity went down and that it wasn't acceptable. I went into the office to to train with a coworker for a day. Over the next few weeks I was told by the coworker that I was doing better. Less than 3 months after starting the new role I was called into the office by the supervisor due to unacceptable productivity but once I got there I was terminated due to being clocked in and not working and that it had been going on for over one year, this is not true. And even if this was true the supervisor approved my time card every two weeks (the manager was aware) so if this was a problem they never said anything to me. We were told that we had to work 40 hours between Sunday- Saturday. So we didn't have to work 8 hours per day as long as we had 40 by 11:59 pm Saturday.This same supervisor gave me great reviews every year, I received a raise every year and I also received a promotion. But no one questioned or considered that when I was falsely terminated. I liked working here for the first year and a few months then a co-worker told me to look for another position within the company because people in other departments were talking about us losing our jobs - I wish  more... I would have listened. The supervisor and manager eventually became very distant and unfriendly towards the end. These people could care less if you have a family or bills or like your job. They smile and laugh in your face as if you are friends and everything is ok while stabbing you in the back. I would never recommend this place to anyone to work. If I had a child I wouldn't bring them here or recommend anyone else get care for their child here either.  less
Pros
Working at home, days & hours
Cons
Supervisor and manager not trustworthy, unorganized, poor communication, poor training, stressful
I was always very proud to work at Children's Mercy Hospitals & Clinics
Physician Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 7, 2018
Children's Mercy Hospitals & Clinics is well known throughout the region for the phenomenal care that is received. It was not uncommon for me to be stopped by individuals in the community who would want to tell me the story of how Children's Mercy changed their lives through care of a child they were associated with.
Very negative environment
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 29, 2018
Everyone is tired, stressed, overworked and underpaid. Were often expected to take on a work load of multiple people. Environmental services is short staffed almost daily. Nobody wants to work as a team and everyone is unhappy with their job. We drag our feet in the way in and leave with aching backs on the way out. Then they beg us to come in for overtime and get upset if we don’t want to. The only thing that keeps me here is my health benefits. I’m constantly applying for other positions here, but have had a hard time getting out of this spot. i don’t know how much longer i can last and feel like sooner or later i will have to let the benefits go so that i can live a better quality of life.
Pros
Healthy benefits
Cons
Overworked, pay, management, everything about the job
Over worked and stressful environment
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 11, 2018
I always wanted to work at CMH. I realized it was the biggest mistake. It is a stressful environment with a lot of changes that management is not honest about. Off-site parking and the shuttles aren’t consistent, although your told that in the interview. Employees aren’t offered discounts on lunch and the annual raises are small. No opportunity for growth for most employees. Management and HR have there picks on who they will hire, or allow an internal interview.
Pros
Pay, flexibility and wellness center
Cons
Pay raises, off-site parking and no incentives or opportunities for growth
Great Organization with Great Culture
Document Imaging Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 4, 2017
Children's Mercy is a great company with a great culture. You feel like that the work you're doing is contributing to a higher purpose, rather than just being a way to earn a paycheck.
Commitment means nothing to them.
Pediatric Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 4, 2017
If you work there and are a committed long term employee it means nothing to them. If you choose not to go back to school for any reason they will find a way to push you out the door. You can go from being a very valued employee to being made to feel like you don’t matter at all.
Pros
Friends, health insurance
Poor Management; Hostile Environment
Research (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 6, 2017
Management is narcissistic and creates a hostile non-productive environment. Bullying is accepted by all including HR and VP's. You have to play the political game to get ahead. The overall mission is buried by the misuse of power.
Pros
Somewhat flexible schedules
Cons
Mistrust
Emergency Medicine Department
Payroll & Reimbursement Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 4, 2017
I've had a wonderful experience working with the Emergency Medicine Physicians. I've been able to work my way up through the department within the past several years. I'm looking to advance and/or a change in job.
Love the atmosphere/micromanaging sucked
Admissions access rep (Former Employee) –  Kansas city,moSeptember 20, 2017
Loved my job! What was a dream soon became a nightmare.. the management was always breathing down your back. Asking for more more and more. The employees were never recognized for their hard work. I began to hate waking up for work.the further i was from my supervisors the more i enjoyed my job. The benefits are nice.. staff in other
Departments were friendly and helpful. Just a word of advice stay away from admissions.
Pros
Benefits, pto, patient and families
Cons
Management, micromanaging, shuttle parking.
Great place!
Float Pool (Current Employee) –  Leawood, KSSeptember 16, 2017
This is a great place for those who are not familiar with the corporate environment and its expectations. It is very lenient and many expectations and evaluations are not based on job performance but on personality traits.
The mission and vision of CMH are valued by all but followed in very different ways. As long as you don't forget your purpose and how your role can impact a child's life being there will be worth it.
Patient Access Rep
Outpatient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 4, 2017
Children's Mercy is a well-known and well-respected Midwest organization. It is also a good place to learn the ins and outs of healthcare, both on the clinical and administrative side. I would not, however, recommend any admissions position that is coded as a "float" position. This is only ideal for candidates who won't mind knowing their work schedule only 24-hours ahead of time.
Pros
Good benefits, opportunities for advancement, being part of an organization that makes a big difference in the KC community
Cons
Caddy management staff, difficult advancement
Enjoyed knowing that I helped contribute to the well being and good health of children and their families.
Medical Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSAugust 6, 2017
The culture at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics is amazing. It keeps expanding and growing to include services to children and their famlilies in the midwest by adding locations in all areas of the metro, outlying areas in the midwest and also a newer addition, TeleHealth.
Pros
Many benefits and gifts through health fairs, etc.
Cons
None.
Fast Paced and Fulfilling!
PFS Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 29, 2017
Wonderful place to work! Flexible schedules and supportive leadership team. I have been at CMH for over a year and have appreciated the organization on a whole the entire time.
Pros
Flexible schedule, good pay, great benefits
Cons
Work life balance
Good hospital for kids, horrible management
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 23, 2017
This hospital does an amazing job taking care of their kiddos, but not their employees. The RT department is known for their high turn over rate and bad management. The management sit around and bark orders and close their doors when help is needed. They could care less about work/home life balance for their employees, but they make sure they are home in time to get to their kids games. They do not stick to their policies and allow other departments to bad mouth their RTs. Most days are short staffed and management relies on people to pick up. If you are one to pick up, you will be in the "in crowd". Newbies are usually bullied by senior staff, the senior staff will make your life so miserable you will want to quit. RNs in the ICUs are very "clicky" and will try to get you in trouble if they don't like you.
Pros
Helping Children
Cons
Great values leadership needs improvement
Nurse Manager Pulmonary and Sleep Clinic (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 16, 2017
Mismanagement has caused the company to reorganize using LEAN. However there is no research or evidence to support the decisions being made by leadership at this time.
Staff Nurse
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 20, 2017
I worked at CMH for 9 years as a nurse. Management is why I left. Charge nurses treated staff poorly. If you were good at your job you were often giving the hardest assignments and when you asked for help you were told they didn't have time to help you. If you were a lazy nurse you seem to get the easier assignments and when you brought this up to management their response was "that's just how they are." Managers on the unit have no idea of the acuity of the patients on the unit. They just seem to look at numbers instead of acuity. Horrible environment to work in unless you enjoy being bullied, talked about and want no possible chance of advancement.
Pros
Amazing patients
Cons
Work load, pay, management, parking
A big-little hospital that truly cared for its patients.
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 3, 2017
A small sense of monotony with an ever changing dynamic of the same goal. Training was quick for me, but not others. Within my department and observed elsewhere were various cliques of different workers, which influenced many people's decisions on their work.
Pros
Patients were great. Good teamwork when working the right shift with the right people.
Cons
Slow on advancement in my area of work. Very cliquey
Awesome place to work
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 24, 2017
Great leadership and teamwork. I work in the PICU it's very energetic and very great leaders on the team. Being in the PICU is sad they have a team that comes and talks to you and the have great chaplain there and it's very very good to know that everyone is there for each other
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 8, 2016
Truly a great place to work. My co-workers were friendly and very helpful. There is one manager on my unit that kind of got "power hungry" and made work on that unit not very great. The hardest part of my job was seeing the sick kids. The most enjoyable thing was how rewarding it was to help everyone feel better eventually. The benefits at this place are the best I could've imagined having.