Children of America Employee Reviews

Good place to work, but not for life
Preschool Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIDecember 17, 2018
Overall work environment is good. Management are great people, and they do their best to please everyone, especially with allowing people days off (even when those people should come in). But with that said, staff is often overworked because of other employees lack of drive to come into work. Everyone gets along for the most part, this place isn't as cliquey as some preschools/daycare's which is refreshing. Staff tends to be friends, but there is always gossip. Pay is truly dependent on your work history. Expect anything between 9-14 starting pay. Little room to move up the chain, but there are yearly reviews for raises. Overall, the job is stressful, but the closeness with the team and working with the kids makes it worth it.
Pros
Long breaks
Do Not apply
Lead Pre-School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VANovember 29, 2018
Coa has been the most unprofessional place I have ever worked. The teachers are over worked, they barely know what's going on in the center because management never communicates. Company policies/ procedures were not being followed and perpetual lack of support in administration.
Pros
The excellent teachers that are still there
Cons
Administration
Money Driven
Assistant Director, Children of America (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VANovember 28, 2018
The focus has been taken off of the children and the staff and placed on marketing. The rates are increased once, sometimes twice, a year causing difficulty in increasing enrollment. They have also added additional fees which have caused parents to seek care with other companies. Centers in close proximity of one another don't offer the same rates or salaries. There is no sense in urgency in replacing worn out toys or broken computers, the only response given is, "enrollment fixes everything." The change in the corporate structure has put a huge burden on the centers struggling with low enrollment to market their centers knowing they lack training in marketing. Hands on help is non-existent for some locations and you are told to reach out to your sister centers/competitors. The last year of employment with this company has been the worst. Salaried staff and teachers are not treated the same.
Pros
discounted childcare for staff
Cons
Inconsistent disciplinary polices for staff and management
Productive fun workplace
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  St. Charles, ILNovember 26, 2018
Working here can be a bit frustrating but then we also have times that things can end well. Learning here being in the classroom alone molds me into being a better teacher. The main hardest part is working together as one but also it feels like a family here.
If you are desperate this is a good place to work
Head Teacher (Current Employee) –  Jackson Heights, NYNovember 14, 2018
Please keep in mind that this is a daycare. You will most likely only be in ratio when corporate or the department of health are there and that is only because sometimes Managment all of a sudden does not want to be downstairs when those visits arrive so they will cover a classroom. There is absolutely no structure in that place. You will never get a raise and it’s almost impossible to even if you get promoted. So many things that corporate and management try to cover up and act out. I’m surprised these people didn’t pursue a career in acting. Trust me you won’t ever want to work in this place. You can even ask current employees how they feel about this place. All are looking for employment and about 15 teachers have quit during the past two years.
Pros
The best children to work with / great parents
Cons
Everything else
Don’t work here
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VANovember 14, 2018
This was the worst experience I’ve ever had at a company. The Director and Assitant Director were incompetent, lazy, gossiping and exhibited very inappropriate behavior to be in a school setting.

The kids are wonderful, but that won’t keep there. They pay is very low for this area, no vacation/ sick time until a year, health insurance is unaffordable, hours aren’t consistent. At one time everyone was getting sent home early.
Awesome Place To grow!
Former Director (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VANovember 12, 2018
I started at COA as an Assistant Director and quickly advanced to Director. I really enjoyed the working environment. We were a true family and we worked together to get the job done. I believe COA is a wonderful place to work and I love the fact that it offers lots of opportunity for its employees to grow. The corporate office is very helpful and friendly and they always had a listening ear to us and they were there for support whenever we needed them. The only reason I left the company was because I had health issues that need to be addressed but when I get better I do plan on going back. COA will always be home for me. If you're looking for a wonderful place to start your career in childcare..look no further!
Pros
Meals provided, childcare discount provided, opportunities to grow within the company, health benefits, Paid time off
Fast paced place to work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Stephens City, VANovember 9, 2018
Over all experience was positive. I did feel the pay could of been better considering the job requirements. Co workers were all strong teachers however lots of gossip.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
Pay
Turn over rate
Pre-K4 Teacher (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDNovember 8, 2018
Long work hours and low payrate and wasn't allowed to use bleach to clean with. Classrooms where always out of ratio. Not enough staff high numbers in children low numbers in staff.
Pros
Breakfast Lunch and Snack
Cons
No health care
Terrible Place
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDOctober 22, 2018
I don’t recommend anyone to work or bring their children here! Such an unprofessional place and doesn’t care about anything but the money. The employees never get raises and the child care rates always go up! The children never get the proper care (not due to the teachers but management) and the teachers work 40+ hours a week and get no appreciation! Please do not send your children here! And please do not apply here!
Pros
None!
Cons
High Rates and No Pay!
Great Company
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Oak Creek, WISeptember 19, 2018
COA helps further you education and supports their staff. I have worked for the company for 6 years and in that time COA has supported me with furthering my education and I have been able to advance within the company.
Pros
Great Company to work for
Cons
Can't think of any
Pros and cons
Teacher (Former Employee) –  New Berlin, WISeptember 6, 2018
It is some hard workers there and some ability to grow there over all the children are awesome teachers are OK and the atmosphere can be better the building is nice and a great location surrounding by shopping and stores
good place to work for
Assistant Teacher/Floater (Former Employee) –  Stony Point, NYSeptember 5, 2018
kids from the ages of 6 months to 12 years old. Fun place to work at. Had no problem with managers. Had some problems with parents, but that is to be expected.
Pros
fun
Cons
healthcare
slow paced, self contained classrooms
Preschool / Pre-K Teacher (Current Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WI 53051August 30, 2018
The teachers are expected to run their classroom according to Children Of America policies. Children are guided through redirection. Cooperation between teachers is sparse.
Pros
Great parent relations
Cons
Lack of teacher cooperation
Awesome Company
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Oak Creek, WIAugust 29, 2018
Coming to COA to work has been the best thing I have ever done employment wise. They have helped and supported to me achive a quality education and advance my career with in the company. Upper managment is super supportive.
Pros
The constant support
Cons
Can't think of any
Good Place to Work, but not organized at all.
Assistant Teacher/Floater (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 28, 2018
I find it wonderful that you are welcomed with open arms at this establishment. That being said, there are some issues I have seen. There are not enough teachers to cover the roles they provide. Lack of common knowledge amongst front staff is a problem. There needs to be a better system in place. The company itself needs to do away with any drop-in care. It is not fair to the child nor the staff. On a more positive note, they are very accommodating, but do not expect stability in your schedule. This is problematic, but so is every child care establishment, which I understand. I feel if all staff were on the same page and there was a little more organization, this establishment would be unstoppable! Plus the kids are super sweet and willing to learn.
Pros
Welcoming Staff, Experienced Teachers
Cons
Unorganized
Worst Place to Work !
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Norwood, MAAugust 27, 2018
I was hired as an assistant director. I was made to travel to another center two hours from my home two to three times a week. I was not reimbursed for gas until three months later when I quit. The director talks trash about everyone behind their backs and pretends they are friends to their face. The regional didector is just as bad. Managment is do what I say not what I do. Horrible way to run a company even from corporate. They are rude and not helpful at all.
Pros
Zero
Cons
I left the company.
Children of America
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  New Berlin, WIAugust 24, 2018
Children of America was a great place to work for. The staff was great. They helped me feel welcome and found my way when i was knew. I never felt left out during lunches or during conversations walking around the playground.

The management at first was great. She was supportive, communicative, personable and would supply the teacher with the supplies that were need for the pre-planned curriculum. When she was let go, the new management was terrible. We all understood a tighter tug on the budget, but their was no reason to keep the office door closed, blinds shut and when she did look in it was literally peering through a cracked blind or door. She would make appointments with her employees instead of just having a conversations on the spot to check in.
Pros
working with children, creativity
Cons
lack of staff, curricullum
Horrible Company To Work For
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chestnut Hill, PAAugust 20, 2018
Everything about this place is horrible! My biggest issue about this place is administration. They racist . It’s nothing but a bunch of black teachers that they don’t care about! I really feel like I’m back in slavery picking cotton for the white folks!
Terrible
Teacher (Current Employee) –  NJAugust 13, 2018
Terrible, everything about it is terrible. The hours, the pay. Just terrible. Should only be a temporary job at best. Terrible, terrible. Terrible...

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Children of America. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

1.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight