Children of America Employee Reviews

Fun environment, great staff, wonderful children
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chestnut Hill, PAMarch 8, 2019
I loved working with the staff and children. Management was very respectful and easy to get along with. Pay rates were very fair. There is room for advancement and an overall nice place to work. The staff is very kind and caring. Your children are well cared for.
Pros
Close to home, part time, wonderful staff and administratives very clean, the children are taught really well.
Horrible place to work
Head Toddler Teacher (Former Employee) –  Warminster, PAMarch 7, 2019
A typical day was very stressful. Very chaotic in mornings and late afternoons. Over ratios much of the time. Children moved to various classes throughout the day. I learned not to trust center administration with any personal information. Don’t question any policies or you get written up. Don’t ask for a raise or ask why you didn’t get one(when everyone else did). You won’t get a truthful answer. The workplace culture is constant stress! Between the cameras, being watched all the time as if under a microscope and the back stabbing amongst some staff it was hard to do ones job successfully.The hardest part of the job was the constant stress put on staff by administration, and just feeling as if nothing was good enough. The most enjoyable part of the job was of course the children! Seeing them learn something new daily, and realizing their parents appreciated you was the best. I have long lasting relationships with my former students and their parents and I haven’t been there since November.
Pros
The children, the parents and other center staff are for the most part wonderful.a typical day
Cons
Corporate personnel don’t care about center staff. Can’t even get anyone in HR to return a phone
Wouldnt recommend
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 21, 2019
This company only cares about money. The legal ratios of Children:Teachers is ridiculous, and they dont care if you need help in the classroom. There were too many kids to be in a classroom with 1 teacher, made things very overwhelming. I love children and teaching but this job made me despise daycares.
Pros
long breaks
Enjoyable and very balanced place to work in the maintenance department.
Commercial Maintenance Tech (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAFebruary 16, 2019
I loved this job. I felt it fit what I needed for home and the pay was good for conditions. Benefits of not using personal tools , vehicles, and gas was a good financial benefit on top of pay. My particular super visor was best to work for I’ve ever had.
Pros
Company issued work van, I phone, credit card
Cons
Some projects waited for higher level approvals
This place is TERRIBLE!
Lead Pre-K Teacher (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 14, 2019
There is literally nothing good about this place. No one is educated or has any experience, the turn over is so high they offer no benefits or vacation time. The pay is low, the kids are out of control due to lack of consistency. Management is incredibly incompetent, rude and dismissive to both the teachers and parents. There is no profressionalism AT ALL what so ever. The curriculum is a facade so they can charge a tuition fee and increase the rates every year. They do not follow any state regulations in regards to ratio, food, teachers experience or education or sanitation. DCS was called twice in the 6 months I worked there. You will be sick all the time because of how unsanitary it is. The kids are incredibly destructive because there is no disciplinary policy. The parents complain and yell at the teachers because of how disorganized and inconsistent the place is. I honestly do not understand how this place has not been shut down. This place is so terrible, the director I had was only in the position because she was the only person who wanted the title when upper management asked for VOLUNTEERS to take the position. She was and is highly unqualified, lazy and incompetent. The list goes on. If you're desperate and have very little value in yourself, take the job, but this entire cooperation needs to be shut down!! Worst job I've EVER had! Never again! I pray that other childcare facilities are not like this. I am PETRIFIED of taking my future children anywhere because of how horrible this place is.
Very unprofessional. Inconsistent.
Lead Pre K Teacher (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 5, 2019
Never enough staff to cover classrooms, very unorganized management, very unprofessional management. Children are consistently moved around to meet ratio requirements. Teachers consistently move around due to lack of teachers. No support system from management in classrooms. Corporate is a joke. Very cheap. Not enough materials for children, but when star ratings come around , they'll buy new things. Very little of the curriculum is done since teachers move around. This school has no stability.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Inconsistent school. Unprofessional management
first year open
Founding Center Director (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIJanuary 28, 2019
I worked there for the first year that we were open and it was quite crazy at times. The building and all the people were knew to everyone so like I said it was just crazy at times.
Pros
pay
Cons
number of hours
Lack of care and support for employees
Floater Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Clementon, NJJanuary 22, 2019
Working at Children of America was not an enjoyable experience for me. I was working on my undergraduate degree when I began working at this particular daycare center and and needed a job to assist me while I was in school. I left because I was not receiving the proper treatment from management and my hours were starting to get cut. I would recommend Children of America to anyone because the year I was there I was still looking for a new job. I am a team player and did my job to the best of my ability no matter what. But I knew this center was not where I wanted to stay.
Cons
Lack of care and support for the staff members
Teaching children
Child Care Teacher (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 11, 2019
A typical day at Children of America is constantly being on your feet. Teaching, redirecting and molding children for their future. We do out everyday routine of the children's planning, work time, large group time, etc. As well as do things to take care of the center itself.
Poorly managed from the top of the line to the bottom. Set schedules and stability is a plus
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 5, 2019
The corporate division is a mess and it affects every one even to the children being affected by the stress of their teachers. I can’t think of a good reason to recommend working for this company. The average pay is 11 an hour on this website but for the area in which I’m posting, the pay rate was between 8.50-10 for an employee without years of expertise or precious dedication to the company. 10/hr was still considered one of the higher incomes there. Management never seems to want to do their jobs on site and leave teachers out of ratio which is against state law. It was common for teachers to spend up to 30- minutes over ratio by 7+ children. That would be 17:1.
Out of average 20 teachers there is one great one to every six bad. You’ll end up seeing your coworkers mistreating children while your directors do nothing. The food is very nasty and served without care. There’s a small ounce of fake professionalism offered by management and some employees. Many of the parents see through it and have complaints often.
The children make the job !!
Pros
The children and connections. Good schedule.
Cons
Take your overtime with 2 hour breaks, no good management, awful pay, fake staff, not professional to families
Good place to work, but not for life
Preschool Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIDecember 17, 2018
Overall work environment is good. Management are great people, and they do their best to please everyone, especially with allowing people days off (even when those people should come in). But with that said, staff is often overworked because of other employees lack of drive to come into work. Everyone gets along for the most part, this place isn't as cliquey as some preschools/daycare's which is refreshing. Staff tends to be friends, but there is always gossip. Pay is truly dependent on your work history. Expect anything between 9-14 starting pay. Little room to move up the chain, but there are yearly reviews for raises. Overall, the job is stressful, but the closeness with the team and working with the kids makes it worth it.
Pros
Long breaks
Do Not apply
Lead Pre-School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VANovember 29, 2018
Coa has been the most unprofessional place I have ever worked. The teachers are over worked, they barely know what's going on in the center because management never communicates. Company policies/ procedures were not being followed and perpetual lack of support in administration.
Pros
The excellent teachers that are still there
Cons
Administration
Money Driven
Assistant Director, Children of America (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VANovember 28, 2018
The focus has been taken off of the children and the staff and placed on marketing. The rates are increased once, sometimes twice, a year causing difficulty in increasing enrollment. They have also added additional fees which have caused parents to seek care with other companies. Centers in close proximity of one another don't offer the same rates or salaries. There is no sense in urgency in replacing worn out toys or broken computers, the only response given is, "enrollment fixes everything." The change in the corporate structure has put a huge burden on the centers struggling with low enrollment to market their centers knowing they lack training in marketing. Hands on help is non-existent for some locations and you are told to reach out to your sister centers/competitors. The last year of employment with this company has been the worst. Salaried staff and teachers are not treated the same.
Pros
discounted childcare for staff
Cons
Inconsistent disciplinary polices for staff and management
Productive fun workplace
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  St. Charles, ILNovember 26, 2018
Working here can be a bit frustrating but then we also have times that things can end well. Learning here being in the classroom alone molds me into being a better teacher. The main hardest part is working together as one but also it feels like a family here.
If you are desperate this is a good place to work
Head Teacher (Current Employee) –  Jackson Heights, NYNovember 14, 2018
Please keep in mind that this is a daycare. You will most likely only be in ratio when corporate or the department of health are there and that is only because sometimes Managment all of a sudden does not want to be downstairs when those visits arrive so they will cover a classroom. There is absolutely no structure in that place. You will never get a raise and it’s almost impossible to even if you get promoted. So many things that corporate and management try to cover up and act out. I’m surprised these people didn’t pursue a career in acting. Trust me you won’t ever want to work in this place. You can even ask current employees how they feel about this place. All are looking for employment and about 15 teachers have quit during the past two years.
Pros
The best children to work with / great parents
Cons
Everything else
Don’t work here
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VANovember 14, 2018
This was the worst experience I’ve ever had at a company. The Director and Assitant Director were incompetent, lazy, gossiping and exhibited very inappropriate behavior to be in a school setting.

The kids are wonderful, but that won’t keep there. They pay is very low for this area, no vacation/ sick time until a year, health insurance is unaffordable, hours aren’t consistent. At one time everyone was getting sent home early.
Awesome Place To grow!
Former Director (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VANovember 12, 2018
I started at COA as an Assistant Director and quickly advanced to Director. I really enjoyed the working environment. We were a true family and we worked together to get the job done. I believe COA is a wonderful place to work and I love the fact that it offers lots of opportunity for its employees to grow. The corporate office is very helpful and friendly and they always had a listening ear to us and they were there for support whenever we needed them. The only reason I left the company was because I had health issues that need to be addressed but when I get better I do plan on going back. COA will always be home for me. If you're looking for a wonderful place to start your career in childcare..look no further!
Pros
Meals provided, childcare discount provided, opportunities to grow within the company, health benefits, Paid time off
Fast paced place to work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Stephens City, VANovember 9, 2018
Over all experience was positive. I did feel the pay could of been better considering the job requirements. Co workers were all strong teachers however lots of gossip.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
Pay
Turn over rate
Pre-K4 Teacher (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDNovember 8, 2018
Long work hours and low payrate and wasn't allowed to use bleach to clean with. Classrooms where always out of ratio. Not enough staff high numbers in children low numbers in staff.
Pros
Breakfast Lunch and Snack
Cons
No health care
Terrible Place
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDOctober 22, 2018
I don’t recommend anyone to work or bring their children here! Such an unprofessional place and doesn’t care about anything but the money. The employees never get raises and the child care rates always go up! The children never get the proper care (not due to the teachers but management) and the teachers work 40+ hours a week and get no appreciation! Please do not send your children here! And please do not apply here!
Pros
None!
Cons
High Rates and No Pay!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Children of America. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

1.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight