Chili's Employee Reviews

Found 6,256 reviews matching the search See all 6,842 reviews
Rough Place to work at.
Server (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CANovember 21, 2018
Here in Lancaster is the hardest Chili's to work at. The clientele is kinda rough and fights do break out when they don't get their way. There are walk-outs daily and these environment can be very demanding for a 3 course meal for $10.

Your job is dependent on these customers scoring you well from 1 - 5 but it is called intent to return so that means if they didn't like the food but liked your service there's no way for them to know and teaching people how to take a server to keep your job is kinda a hard sell. I wouldn't recommend working at this particular chili's because it is so problematic and the dysfunction is very high which causes stress that breaks into total meltdowns.

The CEO likes the 3 for 10's because it has increased traffic by 27% but at what cost? this clientele won't last when times get hard and you raise prices. It's also only chicken dishes so the end is near with no options.
Pros
A job
Cons
Stress, Anxiety, Fights No lunch breaks.
Hot and Cold depending on locale
Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 16, 2018
A good company with strong people tools to help managers execute the company vision. Bonus structure is is largely dependent on how fortunate you are regarding placement within the area. Management is capable but inwardly focused. The company does not value work life balance appropriately and will push salaried team members as far as it can. Compensation is good to above average within the market but they get their money's worth out of you. Upward mobility is limited and not developed unless pushed for aggressively. The day to day is enjoyable and a great job. I love the people. I love my team members. A strong GM is a must to have anything close to work/life balance.
Pros
Free meals, solid tools
Cons
Poor bonus structure, massive hours
Chili’s grill & poor management
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INJanuary 12, 2019
I worked at chili’s for a year and was treated very poorly. I constantly did more than needed and help out more than often I and was never appreciated for any of my work. After a year your supposed to get a raise and never got it and if you learn a new position your supposed to get a raise I learned the whole line and was scheduled for the zone and still never got a raise I asked about it and got ignored. I couldent even talk to my manger with out him shooting me a away and he wouldent alow me to bring outside drinks in but would allow the servers to bring In whatever they wanted.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
You won’t get respected for your work double standards and poor management
Fast paced and stressfull but still a fine and intresting place to work
Server/ Togo Specialist/ Trainer/ QA (Current Employee) –  Gonzales, LA 70737September 10, 2018
Working for Chili's in Gonzales is not for the weak!!!! I do enjoy my job but it is a high stress, fast paced, guest first environment with long hours, schedule changes with no warning. On the bright side, there is never a dull moment. Working for Chili's has helped me to perfect my skills in customer service and has taught me to handle even the most difficult of guest with a smile on my face. As a employee I get to encounter a variety of people from all walks of life. Everyday I get to experience individuals from other countries, cultures & religious backgrounds. Chili's Gonzales is a interesting place to work because you never know what is going to happen when you show up for your shift and it keeps you on your toes.
Pros
Having a comp card that gives 50% off when dining
Cons
long hours on your feet, favoritism, slim chances for any real advancement
Excellent company...more like extended family!
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALJune 25, 2018
Loved this company! Only left due to personal reasons...many opportunities for advancement, great culture, strong relationships through out company, tons of support, great training. I would highly recommend Chilis to anyone seeking to enter management or further their management career. Never a slow moment but with great systems and focus you can obtain goals, hit bonus, and create a good quality of life. Definitely a team atmosphere where respect and drive to be the best are apparent in daily ops. Loved the focus on team members and the fact that you were encouraged to think outside the box!
Pros
compensation, development, clear expectations
Cons
some long work days, but can easily be improved with systems
Good Place to work understaff
Bar Manager, Server, Bartender, Trainer and QA (Former Employee) –  Andover, MAJanuary 10, 2019
Worked at a few different locations. Most managers were willing to help and make sure your day was easy.

The company overall is highly understaffed for what they are promoting. Kitchen staff is frequently understaffed and the TOGO position typically falls upon the Bar staff who are already way to busy. TOGO is not worth the service they are providing externally, since it seems to fall short most often. Most servers want to work there but the culture exist of not wanting to work too hard.

There are certainly favorites at every location that can seem to break every company rule but because they are friends with management they get away with it. Lates, anger issues and below average work ethic are all examples.

The pay and relationships you build will keep you here; as well as, some of the managers.
Fun, fast-paced place with great food and management.
Server/Waiter (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 17, 2019
- A typical day at work would be super enjoyable. You would show up, get your section, eat some food, and work!
- I learned a lot about the public and food. I learned how to become a well-balanced server/waiter/quality assurance person.
- Management within Chili's Bar and Grill always seemed to be happy, hard-working, and caring.
-The workplace culture was phenomenal! Great people to work with/be around with great food.
- The hardest part of the job is when you would have a big section with a lot of tables to tend to.
- The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be all of it. Serving, the food, management, co-workers helping out.
Pros
Free food/great people.
Cons
Not a steady or guaranteed income.
Homelessness Isn't Looking So Bad After Working Here
Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  WVJanuary 14, 2019
For a company that claims to be all about "Chili's Love" they sure have a hard time showing it. NO paid vacations. NO sick days. NO more health insurance incentives. NO raises. NO room for advancement. Do yourself a favor and say NO THANKS if they offer you a job here. The current economy is good for employees and restaurants are looking for good people. The problem with Chili's is that they haven't caught on to the fact that in order to get and keep good employees, they have to show that they value them. Chili's couldn't care less about their hourly employees.
Pros
Days off and leaving at the end of the day.
Cons
Literally everything.
Fun workplace, great people, good managament.
Server (Former Employee) –  Camden, SCJanuary 1, 2019
Very great place to go and great workers. It was not enough pay and did not realize how hard of a worker I was and no raises after a year. I loved all workers but lots of drama that didn't get taken care of. One of the female managers were the main reason for all the problems.
Pros
Free lunches, free management meals.
Cons
Short breaks, no time off, no sitting.
Stressful workplace that was managed poorly.
Host (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, CO 80026January 8, 2019
Work at Chili's (diamond circle) was stressful and the management between the four managers was poor. After taking a month off that was required for my health, I was not out back on the schedule after repeated requests. I had let all managers know of my absence at the time of being hired and months in advance for employment. After I came back from my absence, I was told that the managers thought "I quit," even though I had communicated during the duration of my employment there. I quickly gave my two weeks notice upon being given the information that I was moving to a different city, and told the managers the exact week I could not work due to moving. They of course scheduled me said week, and when I communicated that there was absolutely no way for me to make it in that entire week, and that no one could cover, I was scolded and berated by the front of house manager. I quit on the spot and was insulted for doing so. Overall, awful workplace.
Pros
Discount after 90 days, free uniforms
Cons
No breaks, long hours, poor management, tips only for servers, minimal training
I loved working for Chilis. It was competetive, but relaxed. Staff was amazing
Server/ Host (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RIOctober 30, 2018
I would have loved to stay longer. I never vibed with a better staff and everything was always handled in a very professional manner. Any issue or question you had with the company was addressed professionally. Management treated us all great and I don't think I know a place that held more a consistent staff. The weekly promotions and competitions we participated in was the best part about it. Gift cards or free meals for the week was great incentive. It was nice having recurring guests that would request you upon arrival.
Pros
lunch/dinner breaks and great management
Cons
N/a
Loud workplace
Togo Specialist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, AR 72212October 15, 2018
Typical Day: long, busy, face paced. Taking orders, boxing them up. Checking guests out, answering phone calls.

What I learned: Put orders in, learned how to deal with guests when their food was wrong or they complained about something. Lots of experience on cash register.

Management: Had 4 different managers. All had different personalities, but overall it was great.

Workplace Culture: packed, very loud, busy, always doing something.

Hardest Part: Saturday night when we are slammed and its so loud and can barely hear the guests.

Enjoyable part: Meeting new people, having regulars come in and having a nice conversation with them.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No breaks
Don't waste your time
Host (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCDecember 6, 2018
Greenville location - Low pay, very poor management, cut throat, low hours. Don't waste your time applying. They constantly change your schedule, no opportunity for advancement and they always keep you under 30 hours so you don't qualify for benefits.
Pros
Cons
Very short breaks if any, low pay, terrible management
Good money, can be a negative workplace though
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VASeptember 3, 2018
Employees usually attended to their cell phones more than guests. Management is unwilling to enforce rules. Servers will constantly complain about how they didn't receive a tip, being a server myself and not getting tipped I know sucks, but when the it becomes a constant thing it really brings everyone down. I maintained a positive attitude and it made me one of the consistently highest earning servers in the restaurant. People have a tendency not to do their side work and management shrugs it off. Hardly ever clean. Also working in the restaurant industry doesn't come with breaks all that much. All that being said it can be a rewarding job when you come home with a lot of cash money and developing friendships with guests and coworkers is good.
Pros
good money, some advancement
Cons
lazy coworkers, negative people, no breaks, dirty
Horrible place to work
Hostess/Server/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALSeptember 16, 2018
Horrible place to work employees and management are messy and start nothing but drama. Do not expect to advance or receive a raise because management already has favorites from the regional manager all the way down to the restaurant manager. I'd be jobless and homeless before I would ever step foot to work in a chili's again.
Pros
Half off certain menu items.
Cons
Everything else.
Stressful and degrading
Main Hostess/To-go Operator (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MODecember 20, 2018
Management was very cut-throat and mean at times. I do not remember one shift where someone wasn't yelling at someone or someone leaving their shift in tears. Cliental was also awful. In my 6 years of retail, I was yelled at more in my few months at Chili's by customers and managers and other servers more so than I have ever been compared to my other 6 years of experience. I do not recommend working for this company by any means unless you have very thick skin or plan to be the boss yourself.
Not good
Cook/TOGO Server (Former Employee) –  McDonough, GAAugust 25, 2018
I would usually work 10-12hr days and do 10x the work and not get paid for it. When I talked to a manager about an advancement in my job they told me I had to do this, this, and that. So I ended up doing what was asked of me so that I could get more money and when I went to ask again there was another problem. So with that I ended up leaving because I felt as if I wasn't getting treated right or paid for the amount of work I was doing. Management was terrible, it seemed as if all the managers focused on FOH(front of house) and barely acknowledged the kitchen. If a kitchen member asked for something it would take the managers a while to help or assist the kitchen in what they needed. However the employees were fantastic to be around despite what management had going on. The employees really made it an enjoyable experience for me.
Pros
free lunch(for cooks)
Cons
management
This is a good place to work
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILOctober 9, 2018
Every job has its own issues and, I certainly have my own fair share of gripes with Chili's. You wont work anywhere that is perfect. If you work hard others will respect you, bottom line. Go into any job with that mentality, here is no different. Standard line cook job. Management works really hard here for the most part and has always been more than fair with me. My GM came and jumped my car one time. It can be stressful here but,for the most part it is pretty easy. You can listen to music on the speakers or after close put in your headphones close up shop. Very little micro management.
Would never recommend chili’s unless to a young person.
Host and Server (Former Employee) –  Madison, ALJuly 10, 2018
Very interesting place to work. There is almost zero opportunity for job advancement along with no benefits and horrible pay. The management is not the best and I hated working there due to the fact that no matter how hard I work there was always problems with another component of the restaurant to dishearten the customers. And also no matter how hard I worked it didn’t reflect in my small amount of pay.
Pros
Absolutely none and this is not spiteful or sarcastic
Cons
Mostly everything you could imagine.
Friendly place to work with plenty to do
Line Cook, Fry Cook, Prep Cook, Night Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Alamosa, CONovember 24, 2018
A typical day consist of going in and getting straight to work. I learned how to get food out the kitchen into the window in less than 8 minutes. Management was usually split between four different managers and each had their own unique style of managing. The hardest part of the job was managing orders and the most enjoyable part was staying busy and earning a decent livable salary.
Pros
1/2 price shift meals, nicely paid.
Cons
Short breaks, stress during holidays

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chili's. Our community is ready to answer.

52.3K
42.2K
31.5K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP15%
In the Top 15% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Chili's.

Powered by Comparably