Chili's Employee Reviews for Host/Hostess

Found 872 reviews matching the search See all 7,693 reviews
Poor Management and overworks employees
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 18, 2019
When I first started working there the job was good I genuinely enjoyed working there. As time progressed I started seeing different sides of people, especially managers. I felt overworked and I was all in all tired. I often worked 5pm-10pm which is not bad but then I worked almost everyday of the week which is tiring being a high school student. I would not recommend it.
Pretty easy job
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Waikele, HIJuly 17, 2019
Everyone got along for the most part. Management was pretty relaxed. Servers sometime treated hosts like they were less than. It was a little stressful on thursday nights and weekends.
Amazing environment and great people
Host (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 16, 2019
All the employees were amazing and helpful. Compensation matched the work being done in my case. Management was superior, they made it feel homey with adequate structure.
Chili's was a job that simply taught me how to correct other people's mistakes
Host (Former Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSJuly 13, 2019
Working at chili's, for me, was a learning experience. I learned what it was like to work in a hostile work environment, how to maintain proper composure when things are hectic, and how to move at a fast pace while getting everything done correctly.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Terrible work environment
could use some work
Host, To-Go (Current Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJuly 10, 2019
good job if you were in school and didn’t need to live off of that job. the schedules at walkways different and you never knew how many hours you were going to work. manager need to connect to workers more.
Unsuccessful
Hostess/To-Go (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJuly 8, 2019
When I got the job at chili’s I was promised at least 20 hours a week starting at 9.25 with room to advance into To-Go and serving. After about 4 months my hours were cut to less than 15 hours a week.
Terrible
Host (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 7, 2019
When i was hired i was told since i had experience serving id be able to move up faster and start serving. i applied as a host to learn the restaurant and tables and make sure id be a good server there without asking too many questions. i was hired in January and its July and i haven't been moved up. they moved up every single host they hired after me and made excuses like "oh we need more hosts before we can move you up". they also asked me every time i brought it up, "do you have friends that wanna be hosts and work here." i dint know it was my job to get people to hire. two months later they hired more hosts and still moved them up before me. they hired more servers and food runners and didn't care to move me up. i even had some of the servers and food runners ask why i wasn't being moved up and they also talked to the managers about it. Also some servers told me they were being treated the same or similar to how i was. recently, i had a wedding i needed to attend and i requested it off and released the shift a week before and reminded one of the managers that i couldn't work. one of the managers called me while i was there and asked me why i didn't come in then blamed me the next day for not requesting it off or releasing it on hot schedules. also told me that the manager i reminded told him the conversation never happened. i went beyond what my "technical" job was and bused tables for the servers, rolled silverware, took drink and food orders, always asked "is there anything i can do" if it was slow or before my shift ended. managers didn't care if i was injured and needed  more... to go home or had a medical issue come up and had to call out. terrible place to work, 0/10 recommend.  less
Pros
discounted food, most coworkers are great
Cons
managers dont care, hours suck unless its a double, no tips as host
Very fun and welcoming place, very fast paced
Host/ToGo (Former Employee) –  Riverdale, NJJuly 6, 2019
I worked as a ToGo person (prepares takeout food) for a couple of months. I LOVED the management, they were able extremely understanding! I knew coming into the job it would be very fast paced, and I thought it would help me get over my very bad anxiety, but I guess I’m just not the person that can get over it and that’s why I had to leave. On Saturday nights there won’t be a second you’re not working, but you’ll get so much money in tips but you have to split with your partner. On mondays they usually only have 1 Togo person so you keep all the tips, sometimes I would get $60 a night. There’s a lot of stuff you have to remember, and working the computer can take some getting used to. In the beginning, it’s inevitable it will be hard, but everyone that works with you will be happy to help. I loved working at chili’s so much, but my doctor eventually made me quit because I stopped going to school so that I would be awake enough to go to work.
Pros
Discounted food, amazing coworkers, great tips
Cons
Very fast paced, stress from coworkers can wear off on you
good job if you dont have actuall bills
Hostess and To-go girl (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXJuly 5, 2019
i was in an hourly position and payed what they considered well but still isn't enough to pay a single bill and they dont care becuase cutting hourly people early gets them bonuses
It was great management, just lack of hours/pay.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJuly 4, 2019
I worked as a hostess at Chili’s in Nacogdoches for about 4 months and this is the best management I ever had, they genuinely do care about their team and will help you advance in your life. The only things that were “cons” was the pay was $8.25/hr for hostess and considering there was no busser position, it made it incredibly hard on really busy nights but the restaurant isn’t huge so it’s fine. Also, when you rarely ever hit even 30 hours a week, your paychecks are really low because they try to avoid over time so you definitely have to ask for more hours so your paychecks aren’t really low. Great place to work especially for college students and people with part time availability. The management team has no problem working with you to advance to different positions, just stick to it & you’ll do great!
Pros
Great management
Cons
Pay
Nice place to work
Host (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 3, 2019
Had fun working in the kitchen cooking and cleaning. The nights and weekends schedule worked with school hours. Plus they were easy to work with on getting time off.
Fun fast paced workplace
Hostess/To-Go (Current Employee) –  Silsbee, TXJuly 2, 2019
I love working at chili’s in Silsbee, the mangers are very understanding and extremely helpful. The work environment can get stressful but for the most part it’s fun.
I definitely recommend chili’s in Silsbee!! I’m currently working here 😊
Currently
Boynton Beach, FL - Host (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 26, 2019
I am currently still working at chillis and if you are looking for quick money weekly I would recommend working at chilis. They are flexible with hours.
It is a good place to work, a VERY good place for a first job
hostess (Current Employee) –  Kennedale, TXJune 25, 2019
I worked at chili’s for a little over a year, and it was a great experience. I learned so much there and it made me grow a lot as a person. everyone there is very supportive and they are very flexible with hours. It’s a great place.
Pretty good overall
HOST/TO-GO/QA (Former Employee) –  Stephenville, TXJune 24, 2019
Some managers were better than others. The hours kind of sucked, which means the could also suck. But the co-workers and environment were great. Pretty easy to cross train and "move up".
not worth it
Host (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 20, 2019
the lowest pay I have ever gotten. Work long shifts one week hours cut the next week. Rude and cheap guest. Food is not top quality. some employees do what they want
low pay
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Parkesburg, PAJune 19, 2019
Chili's will only pay hostesses minimum wage (7.25) when you are surrounded by a stressful environment full of people. Even on busy nights like friday and saturday the servers don't have to tip you out.
Decent for those with low energy
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJune 18, 2019
I was a hostess at Chilis, and while I loved the people and most of the guests, I found the job to be a bit boring. Its a lot of just standing around, with the occasional wiping of a table.

Almost any time I would try to help out, I would get told to go back to my station. If you need a low energy job, this is a good job for you. It paid well, and I got decent hours, but it fluctuated a lot. Some times I would work 4 hours, sometimes 14. Sometimes it would only be an hour and a half, it all depended on how busy it was. You never knew when you were getting out.

Its a decent second job, but if you like being busy at work, its not always going to be the ideal.
Nice place
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 15, 2019
It was great working there I loved my job but the employees were bullies. If you made a mistake they would say vulgar things over the walkie talkie. Had it not been for a few people I would’ve stayed.
Pros
Great training
Cons
Bad management and rude employees
Fast pace environment
Host (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 12, 2019
A day here is very quick paced and you're definitely on your feet a lot. I've learned that things can only go as far as you let them. Management could be better. The hardest part is that there isn't that many hosts, so basically, you'd be on your own. The enjoyable part would be the food.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chili's. Our community is ready to answer.

52.5K
42.5K
31.7K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP20%
In the Top 20% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Chili's.

Powered by Comparably