Chip's Family Restaurant Employee Reviews

busy hectic scheduals
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Southbury, CTSeptember 20, 2018
I loved working for chips, but do to a medical procedure I needed I was released of my duties upon return. if given the opportunity to return i would in a heartbeat
Wasn’t at all as advertised
Server (Former Employee) –  Orange, CTAugust 1, 2018
Had really unfriendly people train me, had to pay for uniform shirt, cold unfriendly management, fired me mid shift w/o good explanation,not a fun job
Fun Workplace
Hostess/Expediter/Server (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, CTJune 17, 2018
It can be very hit or miss. I learned how to approach a variety of customers from all different backgrounds. Fairfield management was very lenient, kind waitstaff and fun to work with. Trumbull management was more organized, also kind waitstaff and provide a more qualitative experience. It can be overwhelming on weekend mornings in a breakfast diner but you do get used to the rush; however, the customers always provide a memorable experience for the waitstaff when including the children and getting to know the customers.
Pros
Good money, weekly pay, fun work experience
Cons
Inconsistent, favoritism
Great Team, Poor Management
Server (Former Employee) –  Southington, CTMarch 27, 2018
The job itself was standard as far as server position go. However it was the constantly changing management and overall attitude that employees do not matter that made it a really hard place to work.
Worst Restaurant Atmosphere
Wait Staff (Former Employee) –  WethersfieldMarch 1, 2018
Money is great, however was not worth the stress and drama among staff, cooks, and most of all management! Owner is very unprofessional and there’s no consistency whatsoever in rules.
Pros
Hours
Cons
No equality
Server Review
Server, host, expeditor (Current Employee) –  Orange, CTFebruary 20, 2018
Love my coworkers but management is disorganized and does not always treat employees well. The owner George does not treat his employees well. Employees fear owners more than respect them.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
8-9 hour shifts with no breaks, cannot eat on shift, unstructured work hours
Stressful and long.
Busser (Former Employee) –  Orange, CTFebruary 7, 2018
Every shift was fast paced, management made it very hard to help each other out. If i try to lend a hand to one of the waitresses I would get scolded.
Pros
discounts
Cons
no breaks
Good money on weekends but too high turnover
Server (Current Employee) –  Wethersfield, CTFebruary 5, 2018
Many people seem to get fired if you're not one of the veteran servers there. I found management very unprofesional as in taking inappropriate calls on duty, yelling at cook staff where customers could hear, texting hiding in the back, poor communication between staff and eachother, hypocritical and possessive over their staff. There's always favorite but there was a level between family and outright creepy and there were points working here I feel very uncomfortable.
Pros
Money isnt bad if you get the right hours
Cons
Only get good shifts if you butter up managers, vetern or they creep on you
Terrible
Manager (Former Employee) –  CTFebruary 2, 2018
Unrealistic expectations of managers. Owner treats managers terrible. Promotes unqualified, undeserving and inept employees. All around one of the worst places i have worked for and i have been in food service management role for over 10 years.
Cons
Hours
Great Job but Stressful
Busboy and Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Southington, CTNovember 15, 2017
It is a good job but the owners are very hard on you to do your job right. They never allowed me any time off because of school and that was stressful. They are not very lenient on what you do on the job. You have to constantly be working. But as long as you do what you need to do then it is a great job
Cons
No lunch breaks
Great tips on the weekends and mornings
Server (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, CTNovember 13, 2017
Tips are pretty good overall, but the management is difficult to deal with. It's hard to take even a shift off as we are fairly low staffed and employees can be inconsiderate. It's working for me as a temporary job, but I don't see myself there long-term
Solid job, no complaints.
Server (Former Employee) –  Trumbull, CTOctober 26, 2017
Consistent schedule and consistently busy. Plenty of chances to make money. Strong family culture among the staff. However there was only a small opportunity for advancement beyond serving.
good money
Manager / Food Server (Former Employee) –  Orange, CTJuly 31, 2017
if like to work with people and are good at talking this is the job for you. you can make a killing in tips if you know how but you wont get anything from management
Thought environment
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Trumbull, CTJuly 6, 2017
Very fast-paced environment... cut throats management. Was there for one year before giving my 2 weeks, and in that year majority of my coworkers were fired
Great Place
Server/Waiter (Current Employee) –  Orange, CTJanuary 23, 2017
Really enjoyed my experience here. A helpful staff with involved and positive management made for an all around wonderful work environment.
really like working at chips
Service Team Member and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orange, CTMay 4, 2016
Overall a great place to work. the hours are great, so are the costumers and the working staff, the managers try to accommodate to my need, and its very organized and clean. The pay isn't so great and there aren't any benefits
Pros
great costumers, great coworkers and management, organized and clean, connect with new people everyday
Cons
the pay rate isn't great
very busy
Busser (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, CTApril 22, 2015
This job is a very demanding and taxing on a physical level ,the owner is very uncaring even though the staff makes sure the customers are well taken care of .the Hardest part of the job is scrambling for hrs to work but the most enjoyable part is getting tips and making your customers and co-workers smile .
Pros
Tips
Cons
The Owner
unhappy management
Waitress/Busser (Former Employee) –  Orange, CTApril 13, 2015
while working at Chip's I did not have a good experience. The other waitresses and bussers were great but management was not. The owners/managers are very rude to there workers. We worked 8 hours days with no break but got 2 (45 minute) breaks taken out of our pay even though we were not allowed a break.
Cons
no breaks, rude management