CHOC Children's Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Working for CHOC
Manager Operations & Endpoint Solution Engineering (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAAugust 2, 2018
- Very busy
- Quarterly management training, Journey To Excellence
- Highly committed to organization’s mission
- Great culture, great place to work
- Team collaborations
- Assisting parents nurture children's health and wellbeing
Completely disengaged senior leadership team
Director (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAAugust 1, 2018
Every decision, no matter how small, must be reviewed and approved by one of the four senior executives. Stifles creativity and transparency. New ideas and strategies are not welcome. Patient satisfaction scores are dismal.
Pros
Lack of accountability as long as you look busy no one really cares about outcomes
Cons
Very dated leadership model complete command and control management model, new ideas and innovations are rejected before they are tested, the old guard protecting the old guard.
Great Hospital
Child Life and Emergency Department Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAJuly 18, 2018
CHOC is a lovely hospital with enjoyable coworkers and amazing patients. Never have I seen happier patients than at CHOC, and I believe the staff and the environment put together by our donors are to blame for such a happy experience.
PACU Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAJuly 9, 2018
I enjoyed working here. This is where I started my nursing career. They trained me to work in Pediatric ICU. I learned many skills while working there. I left for a period of time when i started my family but the returned when they opened up their new surgery center. I worked in their PACU.
Hostile work environment
Security Officer (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAJuly 8, 2018
Supervisors abuse authority to bully others under them. Upper management is of no help. There is lack of communication as far as problem solving. If there is a no call no show they ask if you can cover the shift minutes prior to your shift being over and if you decline its a write up. Although you are supposed to give four hours in advance if you cannot make it to your own shift. instead of investigating and problem solving they go by word of mouth.
Pros
you get a pay check
Cons
supervisors leads managers and nurses
Typical Children's Hospital
General Pediatrician/ Attending Physician (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJune 30, 2018
CHOC Children's is a typical large children's hospital. Busy, intellectually stimulating, opportunity for teaching medical students and residents at all levels. I worked in the ambulatory clinics which had very complex patients and resident teaching clinics.
Pros
intellectually stimulating, a very "Child-centerred" culture
Cons
management is not clinical and does not understand the reality of patient care
Productive and friendly workplace. Excellent teaching hospital.
Surgical Technology Student/Intern (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAJune 24, 2018
I had the most rewarding and amazing experience at CHOC. I learned a multitude of different surgeries, and was given a chance to even take part in very challenging surgeries, even though I was just a student.
Productive workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAJune 17, 2018
Had so much fun working here. The staff was just incredible and warm. They worked with my schedule and cared about what happened to me. Provided me with all the information needed to work in this place.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
N a
Fun, exciting, motavating
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ladera Ranch, CAJune 6, 2018
My favorite job ever so far. I love working with kids!!!! I also love the feeling it gave me when I would be able to sympathize with parents and calm them down in alarming situations. Loved my co workers and managers as well.
fun and friendly place to work
Child Life Playroom & Bedsides Champion Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAMay 31, 2018
you must go through a lot of training, but the job itself is very rewarding ; the environment is very professional as well and the people/staff are all friendly and have a good attitude
Hospital
Medical Intelligence and Innovation Intern(MI3) (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAMay 24, 2018
This was an amazing internship. It is very eye opening and gives you an inside look at American healthcare. Highly recommend if you are looking to be a future doctor.
Fair
Receptionist for the CEO of CHOC (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMay 24, 2018
I only worked in this position for 1 week. The travel to and from work was over 2 hours a day and not what I was willing to continue with. Answer phones, meet and greet, make badges, answer phones, take messages, Learning employees names and titles was the most difficult.
Pros
Professional
Cons
little training
this was an upaid summer internship
Lead MI3 Intern (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAMay 22, 2018
This was a really great learning opportunity. Got to shadow doctors and attend mentoring sessions with doctors. Loved it and great fun. Would recommend.
Professional workplace
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAMay 21, 2018
Great place to work, there is always something different going on. I take pride in working with in this organization. As an employee I do feel that we are respected.
important work
Clinical Lab Scientist (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAMay 20, 2018
It's a good place to work due to the profession that is so important. But there are lots of politics involved that compromises the patient care actually. Improvement is needed but it is hard.
Pros
Nice location
Cons
Too much women
Good place to learn pediatric fundamentals
RN Admissions Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAMay 2, 2018
Patient and family focused, collaborative environment, always improving, but pay is not competitive. The management is budget focused, sometimes at the detriment of nursing care
Pros
Patient care is really good
Cons
Pay and management
Awesome Doctors to work with
Clinical Research Coordinator/MA (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAMay 1, 2018
It was a pleasure working with amazing doctors. I always looked forward in helping our patients and their families. The hardest part of my job was seeing patients struggle with terminal diseases and unable to find a cure.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
recurrent turn around in HR management for specialty clinics, underpaid employees
Many Changes, but Quality of Care Perseveres
Revenue Cycle Manager (Former Employee) –  Revenue CycleApril 23, 2018
CHOC has been through many managerial/director level changes throughout the years, some good, some bad.

Overall, this is a great place to work. CHOC does care about their associates.
Pros
Many Changes, but Quality of Care Perseveres
Many Changes, but Quality Perseveres
Sr. Coding Compliance Auditor (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAApril 23, 2018

Overall, this is a great place to work. CHOC does care about their associates.
Pros
Excellent quality of care, clinical leadership is phenomenal
Great
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CAApril 11, 2018
Loved working here! I believe in the mission of the Children’s Hospital of Orange County, and I believe that they perform it very well. I would recommend this place for any child seeking medical advice because the staff are just lovely!
Pros
Provided lunch
Cons
No cons