Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma Employee Reviews

Utterly most miserable job ive ever had
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Durant, OKMay 5, 2018
Management is the most terrible group of people I've ever worked with,they are self absorbed group I've ever came across..wkend are given to their favorites..supervisors walk around doing nothing while criticizing every little hair and microscopic dust particle there is. The rooms are not worth what people are charged for..Housekeeping higher management needs to be retrained in being courteous and caring..whiners get easy light work while the actual hard workers get crapped on..I'm moving on very soon..DON'T APPLY FOR HOUSEKEEPING
Pros
Free lunch, coworkers
Cons
Too much detail to do in 30 mins at 13-14 rooms a day..BAD MANAGEMENT
fun work
Framer/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Idabel, OKApril 9, 2018
it was fun but hard work its was always outside fast pace but at times it could be laid back in liked lunch time cause we got to get a break learned how to birth a cow
Had our own cafeteria
Transportation Coord./School Bus Driver Instuctor (Former Employee) –  Durant, OKFebruary 14, 2018
I worked in an office environment approximately 50% during the school year, and 100% during summer except to attended training.

Company is a Native American Tribe workplace located in Southeastern Oklahoma. Native American preference preferred for employment although we had a lot of different cultures also working.

Hardest part of job was keeping up with all the changing rules and regulations with Tribal, State and Federal.

Most enjoyable part was the staff and co-workers i worked with.
Pros
Learning new skills
Cons
Drive to Head Start Locations
Dependant on Department, the company can be a great place to work.
Indian Child Welfare Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Durant, OKFebruary 12, 2018
Choctaw Nation is no longer a tribal organization with a "family feel", it is geared more toward corporate management which doesn't always translate to member benefits.
Terrible place to work
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Durant, OKFebruary 8, 2018
If your not Choctaw you have very little chance for advancement or even getting a new job as they consider them first even though they may have issues in the background.
Excellent benefits
Teachers Assistance (Former Employee) –  Idabel, OKJanuary 29, 2018
I love working for Choctaw Nation. They provide excellent benefits. The only part I disliked was attending so many seminars. My work atmosphere was wonderful and I loved my colleagues.
Fun working place
Choctaw travel plaza (Former Employee) –  McAlester, OKJanuary 23, 2018
I loved it there I had full run of the kitchen at night I cooked for the employees. And the night crew in the store let Me work register from time to time if the needed help.i got to listen to my own music and I put away truck and did dishes.the supervisor is laid back if you do your job right. And the crew can be fun.. Wished I didn't leave.. Wished I could be healthy to continue working there. .
Pros
Cons
Point system
Productive, fast paced and challenging place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Durant, OKNovember 17, 2017
Growing too fast for the area and a bit scattered, it is still a good place to work. The leadership is pretty good and generally cares about people. The biggest issue is the politics of being a government entity.
Stay away from food and beverage department!
Former Supervisor (Former Employee) –  OklahomaNovember 9, 2017
There are many great departments at Choctaw and many great jobs as well but pretty much any job in F&B whether it be an entry level associate, a supervisor, a manager, or even the director in food and beverage is all terrible. You will work every holiday of your entire life, you will work every weekend of your entire life. The upper level management and directors of food and beverage are cutthroat they will do anything they have to to keep their jobs including lying.Their slogan is faith, family, culture. But yet their points based system punishes you for family related issues and their bereavement policy doesn't include aunts, uncles or cousins only immediate family members so they need to take the word family out of their slogan.
Pros
Free lunch, great benefits, outstanding pay
Cons
Management, hours, an HR deparment that sides with its upper level directors every time, short lunch break, sometimes in F&B your not allowed to take your 15 min breaks at all!
Management seriously lacking in people and management skills
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Durant, OKNovember 8, 2017
You can give and give on a daily basis but unless you are a tribal member or in with your managers inner circle then you are going to be miserable. Serious favoritism and it’s all about who you know. The privileged ones don’t have to work and everyone else is overworked.
Pros
Pay is good for the area
Cons
Poor management, nepotism, all about who you know
Casino HR is a mismanaged, circus environment
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Anonymous, OKNovember 6, 2017
While I believe the Government side of Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma is a professional, excellent place to work, the Gaming facet (Casino Human Resources, in particular) is a mismanaged, unprofessional, catty area in which to work.
Pros
Free lunches, benefits
Cons
Poor, unprofessional management
Great career
HIGHER EDUCATION INTAKE CLERK (Former Employee) –  Durant, OKOctober 28, 2017
Choctaw Nation are amazing to their people and tribe. They provide everyway possible to succeed in life and have made so many programs to help you along the way, no matter what stage in life you're at.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Only in the state of Oklahoma
Fun Balanced Workplace
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Durant, OKOctober 23, 2017
Provide safe well maintained classroom to ensure safety of the children.
Help with breakfast, lunch and snack.
Help with playground safety.
Help with bathroom breaks.
Office Intake Manager (Former Employee) –  Durant, OKSeptember 19, 2017
The Work Experience Program provides Tribal Members with job placement opportunities within the various STOF departments. The goal of WEP is to enhance employability and strengthen employment history. WEP is a one-time twenty four (24) month opportunity. Upon successful completion, the participants are issued a certificate of achievement.
Pros
Free Insurance
Cons
n/a
Excellent
Safety Intern (Former Employee) –  Durant, OKSeptember 15, 2017
Very team driving. Great place to start a career. Would highly recommend this company to anyone. Benefits are good as well as the people you will work with.
Family oriented among coworkers
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Durant, OKAugust 2, 2017
Enjoyed having a family oriented co-workers within the department of Customer Care. The atmosphere among departments was good, but communications with various departments with the customer care department wasn't so good. We were the first ones to receive calls and unknowingly would transfer a caller to a department several times among six operators and not know that a department was out for the day. When that occurred it frustrated the members trying to receive services.
Stay away from anything food/beverage
Former F&B management (Former Employee) –  F&BJuly 28, 2017
Whatever you do, DO NOT accept a job working in any position dealing with food and beverage at Choctaw Casino. TERRIBLE UPPER MANAGEMENT. The director's are absolute jokes, and will do anything to preserve their ego and title, including putting blame on their staff.

For what they pay, it's 100% not worth it dealing with the amount of micro-managing and terrible working conditions.

The uniforms are awful, the work climate is miserable.

Don't do it.
Pros
Free lunch, Christmas bonus
Cons
terrible management, no decent raise, lies, terrible direction
hard work and fast pace
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Durant, OKJuly 21, 2017
clock in then get your duty's then start work right then. i learned to work fast yet keep high standers of cleanliness. The management was great. very diverse in culture. hardest part of the job is keeping time management. the most enjoyable part of the job is the staff and the money they pay great.
Pros
great money and staff
Overall Positive Experience
Safety Intern (Former Employee) –  Durant, OKJuly 18, 2017
Morale and Welfare is high, the pay is not excellent, but management is solid and the employees are happy. If you are not chasing money, this is for you.
Pros
Felixibility and benefits
Cons
Lower salary
I loved my job.
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Durant, OkJuly 12, 2017
It was and amazing palce to work:
It was always layed back.
I was constantly learning about my culture.
Management was amazing.
Everyone tried to help everyone out.
Hardest part was keeping busy.
Most enjoyable part was coming to work everyday.