Choice Pet Employee Reviews

Fun and Rewarding
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  New YorkAugust 2, 2018
Great job if you have ambition and are hardworking. You can get promoted after the first two months of employment, and have opportunities to bonus every month. You learn a lot that not only helps you assist customers, but is knowledge you can apply to your own pets. Being a retail environment, there's always something to do - even on slow days. Overall, this is a great job for those who take pride in their work and love pets and people!
Pros
Great coworkers, nice customers, can have piercings, great discount!
Cons
Normal retail cons
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenwich, CTJuly 31, 2018
Choice Pet is a great place to work. There is room for advancement as early as 2 months into working here. You are guaranteed 40 hours a week and sometimes presented with overtime opportunities. There is also opportunity to earn bonuses monthly. Great management, very employee friendly.
Pros
Guaranteed hours
Cons
Retail environment
Great Company to work for with opportunity to advance!
Manager (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutJuly 30, 2018
I've worked at Choice Pet for many years, they have a great staff and management team and a lot of opportunity to advance. The company offered great benefits and it's nice to be part of a strong supportive team.
Worst job experience.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutJuly 27, 2018
No breaks. Store managers gossip with workers about other workers. Manager and other workers seemed to love to talk badly about customers when the customers would leave.

Overall an awful and uncomfortable place to work for. Would NOT recommend applying.
Pros
Cute animals.
Cons
NO breaks, gossip, rude co-workers and manager, no proper hands-on training.
August 3, 2018

Dear past employee, I am so sorry about your poor experience and its vital that we receive more information about what you describe. Please contact the Human Resources department at hiring@choicepet.com. We appreciate all feedback, Choice Pet.

Love my job
Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  Scarsdale, NYJuly 3, 2018
People here are great, hard working and always have the company's best interest at heart. Although small, all good deeds are rewarded and I won 'Employee of the Month" after three months of employment.
When they say full time, they mean it. I always get my 40 hours a week with possibility to take on over time.
I get to work with pets and their parents and teach them on how to eat better.
Pros
All the training that I hope to use one day when I become a vet tech
Cons
At times short staffed
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTJune 10, 2018
Down the earth place which offers hands on managers that work along side you. I found that hard to find. I'm working on getting that Sr. position. I had a family emergency, and they gave me the time off needed.
Pros
Team work and the pets
Cons
Its not easy, you have to work hard
I got promoted in just 6 months to Manager
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  New Providence, NJJune 10, 2018
Fun place to work for and I needed a full time job that did not play with my hours. Choice Pet gave me a minimum of 40 hours a week I could count on, and over time if and when I wanted. I have bills to pay! I showed up on time and worked hard, and kept getting feedback I was going great. In 6 months I was given a chance to go into the MIT program and now managing my own store. The pits is how small the company is and turnover, but that give me over time so work out for my wallet. If you have a flexible schedule and want to work, apply here!
Pros
Full Time, 40 hours plus and customers have tails!
Cons
Short breaks, long hours, and some grunt work.
One of the worst work environment I have ever been.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Westport, CTMay 15, 2018
This company is so selfish and unprofessional. They do not give you proper lunch breaks, and when they do you have to sit on a unsanitary floor, AND they rush you so your break is pretty much ten minutes. The worst part is they do not care if you take classes or have family emergencies. The second you can't benefit them, they will terminate you for absolutely no reason.
Pros
seeing pets
Cons
short breaks, rude manager, selfish, insensitive, staff, unsanitary work place.
July 3, 2018

We appreciate you reaching out. In order to learn more, we’d like to connect you to our corporate officers who can help best. Can you please send an email to hiring@choicepet.com with your name and phone number? At Choice Pet, we are committed to learning from all experiences and value all feedback!

Just stay away
Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  Commack, NYApril 5, 2018
No brakes and only 3 employees so working alone happens a lot, you will have to open and close by yourself as an regular associate. Something happens you may even have to work a 9 to 9 by yourself. Management is very messy you’ll have to clean up after them all the time. Upper management is totally not understanding and they expect you to read their minds and gives you no direction or real training. I basically taught myself how to do things and figure my own tricks out. I tried requesting off 3 months in advance for an important family and event and it got denied
Pros
Good coworker
Cons
No brakes, working alone no life
Not good!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Haven, CTFebruary 19, 2018
Choice pets never looked at the reality of a personal life and expected you to be flexible in every aspect yet they were never, ever flexible and never will be. Oh and they dont believe in second chances. Mess up once for something relatively easy to fix and you get fired. Upper management of this company is awful! They dont care about you as a human just as a mule worker.
Pros
No pros!!!
Cons
The list is too long lol.
July 3, 2018

Dear former employee. Thank you for taking the time and reaching out to us and we are so disappointed with your negative experience. At Choice Pet, we are committed to learning from all experiences and value all feedback! In order to learn more, we’d like to connect you to our corporate officers who can help best. Can you please send an email to hiring@choicepet.com with your name and phone number? Thank you again!

Productive and a fun work place
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Westport, CTFebruary 18, 2018
I would recommend working at choice pet. My co-workers were great! Choice pet was a very comfortable work environment. The management was lovely and my pay war fair.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CTJanuary 11, 2018
This was one of my favorite places to work. My manager in Fairfield was very professional and hardworking. I got along with all my coworkers. I also liked working full time and getting paid over minimum wage.
Pros
Great work environment
Horrible managment
Key Holder and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenwich stamford norwalkOctober 20, 2017
Horrible work environment worst management ever they say they care about there employees but in reality they don't.. they hire young just so they can lie to there employees and use them and fill there heads with promises
Pros
Love of animals and the customers
Cons
Worst managment
May 8, 2018

Hi former employee! We are very disappointed to read your negative remarks about your employment with us. Whilst our regret will not alter the outcome of your time here, we do feel it with sincerity. Our employees are always our priority and what allows this organization to continue growing and prospering. I want to carefully point out that your remark about our hiring is false, as we employ professionals of all age and abide by all labor laws. Additionally, now days young professionals we believe are more informed of their employment rights then ever before, so I disagree with your statement. Best of luck, and we are thankful for all reviews as there is always something we can learn from them!

Absolute worst place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenwich, CTSeptember 20, 2017
I worked here for about 3 months. I ended up quitting because the stress got way too much. It was nice at first because they act like they're understanding and want to work with you when really they just want to work you like a dog. Its mentally draining and you're expected to be doing something CONSTANTLY. I mean. You can't even stop for 5 minutes or upper management is calling you to tell you to get back to work. There's no official breaks. Its just terrible.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
May 8, 2018

Thank you for the feedback. We are committed to creating a comfortable and collaborative environment for all employees so I'm disappointed to hear you felt stressed out. Thank you for pointing out that we all work hard to be the best. As a small company, we take pride in our stores and that our employees come to work committed to make the most out of their each day. All of our positions are visible, thus we are able to reward hard work with fast promotions, bonuses, and company wide achievement recognitions. Thank you again, Human Resources Management.

Great place to work. Improving every year
store manager (Current Employee) –  monroeJune 16, 2017
I have been with choice pet for years now and it is definitely not the same company I started with. They have made improvements to benefit both employees and customers. The pay is competitive and there are many chances to get bonuses and promotions. They have improved by giving every employee two days off a week and paid overtime if asked to come in on a day off. They expect employees to have a better knowledge of products and nutrition, but that will help you with your own animals as well as making recommendations to customers. All around a great company to work for and constantly getting better
Pros
chances for bonuses and promotions. great customers
Cons
it is a retail job so all the cons you would normally expect
Great for a first job and add to your resume
Manager (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutJune 1, 2017
Wish I found this place when I was in high school. A lot of people complain about the job, but it really isn't that hard. You do get paid breaks, you just have to eat in the store..I personally don't mind being paid to eat. They just don't want you running personal errands or anything if you are on a paid break, which makes sense. I believe you can get an hour off for a break if you mention you need one during your interview. Honestly if you come in and do your job, you'll be set. They do recognize people doing exceptional work and will promote you as soon as your probation period (first 2 months) are done. There is testing that needs to be done when you are hired. Those are long and a bit painful, especially if your in a store that does not carry animals. These are still helpful, but monotonous sometimes. Pay is decent when you first start. Minimum wage, but there are bonuses which are fun to aim for. As you move up, pay could definitely be better especially for the amount of work you put in. Since it is a small company, there can be times when they ask a lot of employees (working different locations/ coming in early/leaving late without additional pay, yet they give you a hard time if you are a bit late and will deduct your paycheck). Upper management constantly stress numbers and blame store managers for poor sales which can create tension because sometimes stores are just in difficult locations and just don't get any traffic. They tend to dangle management promotions in front of you without giving it to you which can be annoying, but that depends on who is training you..just  more... stay on top of everything and you'll eventually make it....Overall the job is a great start. Everyone is close and friendly. They definitely do not deserve such harsh reviews..Past employees tend to only focus on negatives and not recognize the positives. If you come in and are consistently looking to improve yourself in the job, they will help you out wherever you can. You can request days off, and they are usually granted (though weekends/back to back days off are tougher). Even when they dont approve a day off, the district managers will always try to work with you. Events are always fun to work. If you ever have any questions, there is always someone who can answer them. You get what you put in.  less
Pros
Guaranteed hours, Friendly staff, learn a lot of useful things, bonuses
Cons
Pay could be better, staff shortages in other stores means coverage is always needed
Company
Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  New YorkMarch 6, 2017
They say you can move up but you can't they don't work around your schedule at all kids school another nope they don't work around none of that on top of you being a key holder and doing a lot you get paid garbage and nope I didn't get fired I quit and found a better job.
Terrible place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CTMarch 6, 2017
I worked for them for over 2 years, after doing all I can for the company. Covering in other locations, going to their new York locations. They terminated my position. They offered to rehire me as a sales associate. I declined. You can ask them for help and tell them what's wrong in the store and it takes weeks for them to do something about it. They have no care for their employees or management. They only think about money. You can be the best employee in the world and they'd still fire you for something stupid.
Pros
Animals
Cons
No lunch. Short breaks. Not able to sit if we wanted. The list goes on and on.
March 20, 2017

We appreciate any comments and thank you for the two years of employment. We have no record of anyone being the best employee and getting terminated, and avoid termination at all costs unless company policy violation is consistent and severe. Any suggestions for improvement are always taken seriously, and although it may take some time to see effects, changes are consistently made in the best interest of Choice Pet staff and ability to serve our customers.

Worst place to work
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Westport, CTJanuary 4, 2017
This is the worst place to work they swear they are understanding when it comes to having kids and there not they fired me because of being late due to the fact I had to bring my son to school and they would always put me in the mornings knowing I couldn't work those hours
Pros
Cons
They just suck
March 20, 2017

We are a small company and are unable to make personalized schedule changes based on our employee's personal needs. At the time of hire, everyone is asked if they are willing to work all hours of operations and if an employee agrees yet is consistently late or unable to get to work, unfortunately we are unable to sustain those professionals. Thank you for your review and proving the ability to address the topic of punctuality as it is an important standard we expect from all our staff.

A bad location (Greenwich)
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenwich, CTDecember 27, 2016
I've only worked there for a couple of months and it was great making friends but the costumers in Greenwich were very rude, my manager blamed us employees that we're not making enough sales when he's the one that never encouraged us to do sales, also him and his now wife were very rude they would talk negative things about every employee. Overall I hated that place because instead of firing me they switched me into a different location and had me work there for twice a day for 2 hours and their excuse was they "didn't have enough budget for partimes in that location". So I ended up quitting. My biggest regret was too apply in the one in Stamford because that location is more enjoyable to work at.
Pros
The pets.
Cons
Short breaks, disrespectful employees and managers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Choice Pet. Our community is ready to answer.