Choice Pet Employee Reviews

Horrible managment
Key Holder and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenwich stamford norwalkOctober 20, 2017
Horrible work environment worst management ever they say they care about there employees but in reality they don't.. they hire young just so they can lie to there employees and use them and fill there heads with promises
Pros
Love of animals and the customers
Cons
Worst managment
Absolute worst place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenwich, CTSeptember 20, 2017
I worked here for about 3 months. I ended up quitting because the stress got way too much. It was nice at first because they act like they're understanding and want to work with you when really they just want to work you like a dog. Its mentally draining and you're expected to be doing something CONSTANTLY. I mean. You can't even stop for 5 minutes or upper management is calling you to tell you to get back to work. There's no official breaks. Its just terrible.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Great place to work. Improving every year
store manager (Current Employee) –  monroeJune 16, 2017
I have been with choice pet for years now and it is definitely not the same company I started with. They have made improvements to benefit both employees and customers. The pay is competitive and there are many chances to get bonuses and promotions. They have improved by giving every employee two days off a week and paid overtime if asked to come in on a day off. They expect employees to have a better knowledge of products and nutrition, but that will help you with your own animals as well as making recommendations to customers. All around a great company to work for and constantly getting better
Pros
chances for bonuses and promotions. great customers
Cons
it is a retail job so all the cons you would normally expect
Great for a first job and add to your resume
Manager (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutJune 1, 2017
Wish I found this place when I was in high school. A lot of people complain about the job, but it really isn't that hard. You do get paid breaks, you just have to eat in the store..I personally don't mind being paid to eat. They just don't want you running personal errands or anything if you are on a paid break, which makes sense. I believe you can get an hour off for a break if you mention you need one during your interview. Honestly if you come in and do your job, you'll be set. They do recognize people doing exceptional work and will promote you as soon as your probation period (first 2 months) are done. There is testing that needs to be done when you are hired. Those are long and a bit painful, especially if your in a store that does not carry animals. These are still helpful, but monotonous sometimes. Pay is decent when you first start. Minimum wage, but there are bonuses which are fun to aim for. As you move up, pay could definitely be better especially for the amount of work you put in. Since it is a small company, there can be times when they ask a lot of employees (working different locations/ coming in early/leaving late without additional pay, yet they give you a hard time if you are a bit late and will deduct your paycheck). Upper management constantly stress numbers and blame store managers for poor sales which can create tension because sometimes stores are just in difficult locations and just don't get any traffic. They tend to dangle management promotions in front of you without giving it to you which can be annoying, but that depends on who is training you..just  more... stay on top of everything and you'll eventually make it....Overall the job is a great start. Everyone is close and friendly. They definitely do not deserve such harsh reviews..Past employees tend to only focus on negatives and not recognize the positives. If you come in and are consistently looking to improve yourself in the job, they will help you out wherever you can. You can request days off, and they are usually granted (though weekends/back to back days off are tougher). Even when they dont approve a day off, the district managers will always try to work with you. Events are always fun to work. If you ever have any questions, there is always someone who can answer them. You get what you put in.  less
Pros
Guaranteed hours, Friendly staff, learn a lot of useful things, bonuses
Cons
Pay could be better, staff shortages in other stores means coverage is always needed
Company
Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  New YorkMarch 6, 2017
They say you can move up but you can't they don't work around your schedule at all kids school another nope they don't work around none of that on top of you being a key holder and doing a lot you get paid garbage and nope I didn't get fired I quit and found a better job.
Terrible place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CTMarch 6, 2017
I worked for them for over 2 years, after doing all I can for the company. Covering in other locations, going to their new York locations. They terminated my position. They offered to rehire me as a sales associate. I declined. You can ask them for help and tell them what's wrong in the store and it takes weeks for them to do something about it. They have no care for their employees or management. They only think about money. You can be the best employee in the world and they'd still fire you for something stupid.
Pros
Animals
Cons
No lunch. Short breaks. Not able to sit if we wanted. The list goes on and on.
Official response from Choice Pet
March 20, 2017

We appreciate any comments and thank you for the two years of employment. We have no record of anyone being the best employee and getting terminated, and avoid termination at all costs unless company policy violation is consistent and severe. Any suggestions for improvement are always taken seriously, and although it may take some time to see effects, changes are consistently made in the best interest of Choice Pet staff and ability to serve our customers.

Worst place to work
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Westport, CTJanuary 4, 2017
This is the worst place to work they swear they are understanding when it comes to having kids and there not they fired me because of being late due to the fact I had to bring my son to school and they would always put me in the mornings knowing I couldn't work those hours
Pros
Cons
They just suck
Official response from Choice Pet
March 20, 2017

We are a small company and are unable to make personalized schedule changes based on our employee's personal needs. At the time of hire, everyone is asked if they are willing to work all hours of operations and if an employee agrees yet is consistently late or unable to get to work, unfortunately we are unable to sustain those professionals. Thank you for your review and proving the ability to address the topic of punctuality as it is an important standard we expect from all our staff.

A bad location (Greenwich)
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenwich, CTDecember 27, 2016
I've only worked there for a couple of months and it was great making friends but the costumers in Greenwich were very rude, my manager blamed us employees that we're not making enough sales when he's the one that never encouraged us to do sales, also him and his now wife were very rude they would talk negative things about every employee. Overall I hated that place because instead of firing me they switched me into a different location and had me work there for twice a day for 2 hours and their excuse was they "didn't have enough budget for partimes in that location". So I ended up quitting. My biggest regret was too apply in the one in Stamford because that location is more enjoyable to work at.
Pros
The pets.
Cons
Short breaks, disrespectful employees and managers
Okay place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutDecember 21, 2016
Good hours but terrible management. Non professional when it comes to personal information about employees and to communicate they want it all through a phone to talk to the DM. Worked there for about 6 months and I would tell anyone to look other when trying to get a job. Anything is better then this company.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Consistent hours, stable pay and great advancement oppurtunity
Director of Operations (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTOctober 22, 2016
Choice Pet offers full time positions with no change to your hours. 40 hours per week can be guaranteed with opportunity for overtime. Additional income is available through the aggressive internal advancement program, bonuses, sales incentives and paid time off.
Fun, exciting, fulfulling Job with room for growth
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Choice Pet Supply Norwalk 1May 29, 2015
Choice Pet Supply is an excellent place to work if you love animals and you love helping people. You will learn a lot about caring for animals and animal nutrition. You will feel great satisfaction when customers come back and tell them how you helped their pet.

A typical work day consists of putting away delivery, cleaning animal enclosures (if that store has animals), cash handling and customer service.

There is a lot of room for growth at Choice Pet Supply. If you are a hard worker and enjoy helping others, you will go far in this company.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the look of elation on customers' faces when you've sufficiently helped them and their pet.
A dog that recognizes you and wags their tail extra hard when they see you; that's one of the best parts of this job.
Pros
Bonuses, Fun, educational, fulfilling
Fun place to work with alot of oppurtunity
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenwich CTMay 19, 2015
Choice Pet Supply is a fun place to work. As a full time employee you are guaranteed 40 hours per week, and there is a lot of opportunity to move up in a company that is growing quickly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Choice Pet. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8