Chrestomathy, Inc. Employee Reviews

Supportive mission through teamwork
Team Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 29, 2018
Every day is a new day at work. The job is to support others' growth and that is a very fun task to be a part of. Sometimes the smallest successes give the largest feelings of achievement. Employees work as a team to accomplish these goals.
Pros
30 minute lunch break. Earned PTO. 2 different work shifts during the day.
Cons
Not generous pay
Great place to learn
Team Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNOctober 26, 2018
The world of human services is changing all the time with new rules and regulations and ideas, and it has been interesting to learn about all of the new things going on in the field while on the job. No two days are ever the same, and we need to be able to change and adapt as our clients need us to in order to best help them with transportation, daily living, vocational skills, and social skills. Because our clients have varied needs, what works one day might not work the next, and we need to be ready with another idea. I have worked closely with group homes, behavioral analysists, and other supports to find goals and ideas that work for my clients, and I have had the opportunity to learn from some great instructors at different trainings.

The hardest part of the job is the unpredictability that comes with working with other humans who might have complex needs. Usually days are good, but rough patches happen with tough client situations and days where it seems like everyone is out sick or having car trouble.

The most enjoyable part of the job is sitting down with a client and their team and presenting progress in an area people doubted their client/child could achieve. Most of the staff use humor to diffuse tense situations and are really in it to help their clients grow.

Management is working hard to keep up with the times in terms of pay scales and raise schedules, and there is always someone around to listen to concerns and get those to the appropriate person for clarification or resolution.
Pros
18 days PTO to accrue if you come to work regularly, break between Christmas and New Years, good structure and routines, 8 hour work days and weekends and holidays off
Cons
lots of industry standard rules and regulations to learn, paperwork at the supervisor level
Yikes
Program Trainer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 27, 2018
Unprofessional type of revolving door type of employment. Clients are cool and are as educated from personal case and log books but staff are unprofessional and immature for the most part.
Productive and fun working place
Program trainer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 16, 2018
Productive and fun working place enjoy spending time with clients.. supervisors are great staff fun and friendly I really enjoyed working with clients helping them reach their goal they reach it they want to sit in neutral and I love to help make their call
A great workplace
Program Trainer (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNJune 28, 2018
A great place to work if you're into helping others. is very easy ,but of course is work so you have to follow the rules. Be patient, be kind to the people you're giving care to. Try to be as relax and claim you can be in any situation.
Great hours, but negative environment
Program Trainer (Current Employee) –  Burnsville, MNMay 1, 2018
The positive thing about this job is the consistent hours and the fact that the pay is pretty decent compared to other similar jobs in the area. However, there are no consequences for staff barely doing their job because they don't want to fire anyone (because they have an issue with hiring). You may spend a majority of your day driving, and if they make you a job coach you will be doing that most days and the pay starts to not feel worth it. Sometimes can be rewarding with good relationships with clients, but it can also be stressful. You need to stay positive, because one negative person can send the whole site into a bad spiral. It's very difficult to stay here for longer than a year.
Pros
Consistent hours, decent pay, teamwork
Cons
Stressful, potential for harm, bad coworkers/management
Management needs to be replaced.
Program Trainer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 13, 2018
I have never worked for a company more disorganized then this one. No appreciation for staff or how hard the staff works. I feel like management needs to be replaced.
Cons
Not long enough lunch break, paid to little for so much work.
great place to work!
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 18, 2017
very reliable work schedule, can get home in time to spend with family, or if you have kids. weekends off and holidays. 3 metro locations, ep, mpls, burnsville
If you want to work in this field, go somewhere else
Program Trainer (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNNovember 30, 2017
Clients were wonderful, management was terrible. Program directors lack a backbone and never enforce anything. This place literally hires anyone because no one sticks around longer than a few months, so the quality of staff is usually lacking out of a necessity for people. Lots of poor attitudes and poor work performance, which management never addresses. I loved my clients, but you couldn't pay me enough money to return to Chrestomathy. Bad work culture all around. Company owner plays favorites with employees and it shows.
Pros
Consistent work schedule
Cons
Short breaks, always short staffed, bad attitudes from supervisors and program directors
Management needs to be better
Vocational program trainer (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNNovember 23, 2017
Management often takes one word over someone else’s. Quick to write people up over little things. Management is just not good in general. Owner doesn’t like to fire people, but management will threaten to fire you if you don’t sign a write up.
Cons
Short breaks, little pay.
fun environment to learn and grow
Direct Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 10, 2017
The people are fun to work with, learn and grow together. Hardest part about the job was working full time and juggling school, I don't know I can handle it another semester, that is why I left, otherwise it was an amazing experience. Working with the clients was so much fun!
Ok place
Program Trainer (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 3, 2017
Ok place to work. Clients kept me coming back. Some of the staff are difficult to work with. Management is not organized. Some staff can be lazy and there are no consequences for that. Pay is good and it is consistently 40 hours a week.
stressful but rewarding workplace
Program Trainer (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNJuly 5, 2017
I absolutely loved working with my clients, but admin made it very difficult to enjoy work.

A small number of people had to do more work at the job, but got paid the same wage as everyone else who did not have to do more.

There is hardly room for advancement. You can have the most experience and education level requirements, and they will most likely pick someone out of house for the advanced position.

The clients are amazing. It is really rewarding spending time with the clients who go to this program.

All of my coworkers were great and for the most part everyone worked as a team.

Management is very unpredictable. One day they may have your back and make sure your safety is a priority, then the next day there is no one to help when you are in a scary situation by yourself.
Pros
The clients are fun and coworkers were awesome
Cons
managment is not always there for you, if you file any complaint with admin they will most likely do nothing. Unpaid lunches, very stressful workplace.
Former Program trainer
Former member (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNJune 5, 2017
The clients are amazing! That is the best part of the job! Very rewarding. But the "management" is terrible. We had harassment and rasiscm going on and they ignored it. It's a company who really doesn't care about it's employees. No job growth, owner doesn't know you by name nor is around EVER, you get treated like your replaceable(because you are. They hire anyone). If you really want to work with adults with disabilities go somewhere else. I mean it. I will always love working with adults with disabilities, amazing job. But this place ruins you.
Day Program
Program Trainer (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNDecember 13, 2016
Direct care provided to high behavior adults in a day program setting. Helped teach daily living skills, hygiene, academic, and language skills. Distribute medications and accurate logging for client activity. This job can be very rewarding however it takes a great deal patience and understanding of mental health disabilities. The work place can become very high stress and proper training is needed to stay safe in high behavior situations. The facility needs updating and the client numbers are growing therefore making it difficult to preform daily activities in individual training rooms.
High energy placement
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 21, 2016
This job requires a very high energy individual who is starting out in social work. It also requires a great deal of patience.
A Great Place to Work
Program Trainer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 18, 2015
Chrestomathy is excellent for those getting started in the human services field or those interested in Psychology. The organization is client-centered and that emphasis is clear. The compensation could be improved, but employees are shown appreciation in the work place. Work is exhausting on many days, but quite rewarding.
Fun place to work
Program Trainer/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNFebruary 3, 2015
Chrestomathy was a fun place to work that also provided you with additional challenges and responsibilities if you were willing to work for it.
A great starter day program
Program Trainer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 2, 2014
A typical day at Chrestomathy changes from day to day depending on what we will do with the clients.

I have learned patience. I also have learned a great deal about a community of people I didn't know much about.

The management is fine for what the job is but it has a high turnover rate.

The co-workers are essential. Everyone is a team player and needs to be there with one another. Being so close there is always drama and can get tiresome.

The hardest part of the job would be when the clients are having difficult behaviors and you're at a level 8 stress level and you don't want to be there any more.

The most enjoyable part of the job would definitely be seeing your clients progress as you help them or some of the simplest things they say are very funny.
Pros
Paid Vacations, pot-luck style lunches
Cons
30 minute break, no opportunity for overtime, some days no break
quick suumary
Program Trainer (Current Employee) –  Burnsville, MNJune 11, 2014
A typical day at work is coming into work and getting clients straight to work. My Co-workers are great and easy to get along with, also we have good team work. The most enjoyable part of my Job is working with the clients, and going on community outings with them. The hardest part would have to be worrying about my safety. Also, all the change we're going threw.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chrestomathy, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.