Christian Broadcasting Network Employee Reviews

What Can I Say
Partner Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 10, 2018
Really not sure what to say its been many years since I've worked here and some many things were going in my life during that time period. Did enjoy the chapel session during work hours very fulling and need.
Pros
work schedule
Cons
management
The company is great for part time work.
Prayer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 8, 2018
This company promotes unity and godliness as it is a Christian oriented environment focusing on prayer and scriptural living. It is a good place to learn to live out the word of God.
wonderful work place
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMay 31, 2018
I enjoy coming to work every day. the load is great and the team building is amazing. there are so many ways to grow here in the company. if you are looking for some where come here.
Hostile work environment.
Police Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 3, 2018
Upper management runs the department through threats, intimidation, and fear. A simple mistake or disagreement on how a situation is handled gets blown out of proportion and you get written up for it. This includes getting yelled at by multiple supervisors with threats of being terminated and them not forgetting about what happened but use it to hold over your head in the future. You can’t even explain or stand up for yourself when scrutinized without getting shouted down. This explains the extremely high turnover rate for such a small department. Therefore, this forces officers and dispatchers to work mandatory overtime which burns them out and getting leave requests disapproved, even when put out months in advance. There has also been certain levels of corruption swept under the rug due to favoritism. Overall, good people get treated poorly here which is sad for a “Christian Environment.”
Pros
Some good people
Cons
Shift work, hostile management
Cutting edge and fast paced.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 20, 2018
Wonderful place to work. The people who help make up the company provided a safe and friendly atmosphere. Management was for the most part in touch with those that reported to them. Always had an open door policy. Believed in team work and a unified front. The hardest part of the job was making sure that all deadlines were met in a fast paced environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that everyone band together for one common purpose and that was to serve the partners and meet the needs as they arise effectively and efficiently. In my almost 21 years at CBN I have learned that people from all walks of life are loving, caring, considerate and most accommodating. I have learned that you can have a family outside of your own biological family. I have learned patience and understanding is truly a virtue. (smile) And, that sometimes doing a service is more rewarding than a take home pay. (But it don't hurt to have the money).
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Working sometimes through inclement weather
Inconsistent management.
Senior Internal Auditor and Tax Specialist (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 30, 2018
Management was very inconsistent and unable or unwilling to mentor. Also created an extremely hostile work environment. Pay was below industry standards and pay raises were few and far between.
Pros
Travel and humanitarian work
Cons
Inconsistent management
Relaxed atmosphere
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 22, 2018
I was given clear instructions for my contracted position. The manager took me around to all of the business areas that I would be working with. They let me set my own pace and I delivered the reults of my analysis and work flow on time.
Pros
everyone was friendly and helpful
Cons
contract expired
Great place to work and fellowship
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 7, 2018
CBN is a dynamic and fulfilling place to work. Co-workers are exceptionally professional yet fun and dedicated to their areas of expertise in helping to carry out the company's mission to spread the Gospel all over the world. It does so in various ways: TV programming, social media, mobile apps and through humanitarian aid.
Great Christian Environment
Partner Service Rep, Partner Relations Team (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 14, 2018
Great place to work, chapel every day, friendly coworkers, management was supportive, good training for the job, most enjoyable part of the job was getting to pray for people.
Pros
Chapel, co-workers
Cons
fast-paced calls with no time between them
IT Department - Information Security
Info Sec (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 10, 2017
The majority of the IT staff appeared to be dividing their energies between work and self-protection. Furthermore, If you are looking for relationship-oriented leadership, you will definitely need to look elsewhere. The leadership in the IT department created a very dull and lifeless environment. My direct Manager (Information Security) greatly lacked people management skills and was extremely unprofessional, uncommunicative, insecure/pretentious, and very inconsistent.
I was a remote cameraman who travelled about half the time.
Video Journalist (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 16, 2017
I was a remote cameraman who travelled about half the time.
My job was to go out with another cameraman and a producer to create a 3-5 minute story in a day. If the trip were 5 days we'd produce 3-4 stories to be aired on a network station.
Pros
Lots of variety. Godd people to work with.
Cons
There was overscheduling at times. I once was on the road 10 weeks in a row.
Overly-taxing on the emotions
Partner Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 30, 2017
Imagine all of the worst components of working in a call center, and then add the factor of this being a PRAYER based call center. 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, representatives take calls from all over the country. Specifically, the workers are expected to pray for the callers. Numerous prayer requests flood in. Workers can take as many as 50 to 150 prayer requests per shift ranging to the harmless blessings for a person's well being, to the harrowing domestic situations, cancer patients, suicide attempts, etc.

It is intense and emotionally taxing, but management expects you to take it all in stride and basically churn out prayers like an automaton. Unless you are capable of being insensitive to those in need, and simultaneously being verbally abused by the more entitled members of society, I would recommend looking elsewhere for employment.
Family friendly environment. Management was supportive.
PARTNER SERVICE REP (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 7, 2017
Not many opportunities to advance to management.
Salary on the lower end compared to a national average.
Restricted counseling on phones though they call themselves a counseling center.
Pros
family oriented work culture
Cons
Short in pay, no job advancement
Phone counselor to those who called in during 700 Club broadcast.
Telephone Counselor (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 11, 2017
A powerful ministry working with many wonderful people. This was a good was to help pay for my expenses while getting my MA at Regent University. Although the pay was very low, the requirements were high. Only those of the highest level of integrity were hired. This did make for a wonderful team to work with.
Pros
Excellent relationships with co-workers.
Cons
Poor pay.
Amazing Experience
Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 1, 2017
I love working at CBN. Meaning in my profession has always been important to me. When I go home after a long day's work at CBN and rest my head on my pillow, I know for a fact that I have worked hard not just for a paycheck but also to clothe and care for orphans, feed the hungry, dig wells for the thirsty and help in disaster-torn areas. That experience is priceless.
Glorified Security Guards
Police Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 7, 2017
Inexperienced micro managing management that shows favoritism to certain employees. Management was very poor and inexperienced and most officers and Supervisors are lacking basic knowledge in Police work.
Pros
No Comment
IT Dept. disorganised
NOC Technician (Former Employee) –  Virginia BeachJuly 28, 2016
I had a bad experience as a NOC (Network Operations Center) Tech I. A normal day consisted of living in your email inbox, filling out reports, and monitoring the network infrastructure for alerts and escalating as needed. I had no previous IT experience, but had multiple certifications that prepared for me the job. I thought I would do well.

Without going into too much of the dirty details, I was told from the beginning that a training program was not in place and they were using me as a means of formulating one, specifically I was a "guinea pig". Being passionate about IT but not having any practical experience and not enough sufficient time for one-on-one training prepared me for failure. They developed a training curriculum more than half-way through my training period. My team was very strict and unforgiving no matter how hard I tried to correct my mistakes. It was a very awkward situation and they realized 90 days in they needed someone with experience. By the end, I felt confused by their ambiguity and was never told directly why I was let go.

Each department in CBN is different, even different departments within IT. I would only recommend joining CBN IT with previous experience unless you start at help-desk. In their defense, the NOC team was small and very busy (I enjoy hard work), but I would have thought more grace would be given, especially from a Christian company. You just never know sometimes.

Be prepared to work hard. Don't let the initial friendliness fool you. Every inch of your work from how well you troubleshoot to how well you listen and follow
  more... directions will be scrutinized and evaluated then re-evaluated by your manager and your team.  less
Pros
1 hr lunch break
Cons
very strict
Excellent Experience
Telephone Ministry Line Representative (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 14, 2016
I really enjoyed my time with this company and the people that I worked with each day. They are open and warm they definitely care about you! Your not just a easily replaceable machine to them. These people will work with you based on your life situations as long as you are open to discuss certain things. And with this group of people I promise that you will be comfortable to do so without feeling judged or fearful that you'll be subject to office gossip. Great place to work!! I would be willing to work there again if the right opportunity came along.
Pros
You get to pick your desired shift, friendly co-workers, excellent working environment, pot lucks, clean workplace, opportunities for advancement, etc
Cons
No benefits, mostly offers part-time hours- or weekends only shifts
Wardrobe Styling Internship at CBN
Wardrobe Styling Intern (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 4, 2016
I absolutely loved my internship at CBN!

The experience I received in wardrobe styling was perfect. I had the opportunity to assist creative costumers on projects for televisions shows and I helped one of the wardrobe stylists with buying.
Excellent Organization
Project Specialist (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 4, 2016
CBN is the epi center of fostering a work culture focused on excellence where there is no veil on the different Christian denominations. This is no easy task, but the presence of the Holy Spirit here makes what would appear in the natural to be an impossibility not only possible but after 50 years of continued growth, a thriving organization filled with people who want to help and empower people from all socio economic backgrounds to prosper. This is done by all focusing on the mission to see folks be led to the Lord Jesus and their lives improved while they are here.
Pros
Chapel; reasonable salary, High accountability Workplace
Cons
Parking Lot entrance and exit