Christian Brothers Automotive Employee Reviews

Don’t let the name fool you
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 11, 2018
This company is not about Christian values, family atmosphere, a”culture”, or servicing the community. It’s all about the almighty dollar. Inferior parts sold at outrageous margins while the customer is told they only use factory parts, is the norm
Incompetent owners and office staff only adds to the frustration level. No one does the job they were hired for but expect to be successful and profitable. Guess that’s what happens when you hire under qualified personnel to make your margins.
If you are looking for job security, fair compensation or a family atmosphere, keep looking. This organization is just as bad, perhaps worse than all the chain repair facilities.
Pros
5 day work week
Cons
Everything else
A dark lining beneath the Halo they so brightly try to project.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  TXDecember 13, 2018
Not only was I let go in the middle of the Holidays when the replacement isn’t even ready to come in until the end of January, but I also found out they tried to sell it out from under me back in the Spring when I was only a month or so into the job. Also the Service Manager that volunteerily left in November(because he knew I was going to fire him for poor performance)was brought back with a RAISE, to run the Shop until the New Owner comes in. The level of treachery, no warning and the tastelessness of their decisions are appalling. There are so many issues with this Franchise, there are DOZENS of shops with no owners that they recruit good, hard working people such as myself, and fill their heads with hopes and dreams of maybe owning their own shop some day, only to chew them up and spit them out in the end. They brag about how they have never closed a shop in their 36 yr history, but don’t let them fool you, there are many shops without owners and many shops with very poor performing owners losing money hand over fist. The profit splits and many other things are not a good setup. They need exposed...
Pros
I had a company vehicle
Cons
Dishonest and set up to fail.
My personal opinion
Technician (Current Employee) –  9200 Brodie laneJuly 4, 2018
As a certified and educated tech fresh out of college, with an associate, I feel the environment is great. I currently hold general service as my job title. I am encouraged to advance my cerifications to climb the ladder. I do feel slightly held back on growing my knowledge due to my primary responsibilities being general service and inspections. My pay is fair, and reasonable but living location makes it a challenge with salary. Management is impeccable, caring and motivating. Ownership is appreciative, flexible, willing to listen and take suggestions. Also very providing and generous. Work flow can be slow but cleaning or learning during slow times gives an individual the pride of caring for the workplace, and expanding knowledge. Just remember every work environment is unique and ran at a different pace. Takes time to find the best environment for yourself. I certainly found it myself, and have been cared for and recognized for my work.
Pros
Weekends, learning, comfort, fairness
Cons
Organization(improving), airflow, minor lack of needed tools
Never get more than 50hr
L1 Master tech (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXNovember 20, 2018
Now corporate ruling that each shop needs 3 to 4 tech plus Juniors tech even when shop dont make lot hrs so very hard to make 45 hr per week

If shop make 150 hr per week 4 tech will be around 35hrs very hard to get 50 hrs the shop must make 250 hrs that's only way tech will make around 60
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
No benefits, no tech flat hrs
Great company
Technician b (Current Employee) –  Humble, TXJuly 23, 2018
Very great company to get your vehicle worked on.
Not the greatest to work for been promised a raise after 90 days and here I am 2.6 years into my employment here and yet to get a raise owner crawfish’s his way out of payin all the employees what was promised
Pros
Free lunch on Friday and closed weekend
Cons
Poor ownership
A fast paced work environment.with high expectations
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 20, 2018
I open the store at 6:30 AM and had a morning meeting with the Service Advisers and Technicians. I led the Service Advisers, training them in vehicle systems and sales methods. I advised the Technicians on diagnostic and repair techniques. I built and sold repair orders to Customers, waited on customers and closed the day with accounting procedures at 6 PM.
I learned the software applications required to operate a service facility.
The workplace culture was similar to most repair facilities with a Christian approach. People of all faiths frequented the store with expectations of high integrity. They were not disappointed.
The most difficult part of my job was meeting the demands of
the Owner while meeting the expectations of the Customers and keeping the Technicians happy.
The most enjoyable part of my job was providing excellent customer service while realizing a 30% increase over previous years.
Pros
Exercising leadership, training the staff.
Cons
Long hours, marginal pay and no healthcare.
Relaxed, family friendly, work environment that plays hard.
Franchisee Technical Support and Technical Trainer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 29, 2018
CBA provides a well balanced mix of Christian faith based ideological principles, with forward thinking automotive business acumen.
A place where you can definitely be a part of the growth potential.
Pros
Friendly workplace, with great benefits.
Cons
Cultural Generation gaps.
good work/life balance
Service Advisor/Writer (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXMay 15, 2018
good work life balance , but greatly lacking in job security and other benefits as well , over all a 8.5 out of a 10 score , good but not a great place to work
Pros
free breakfast once a week
Cons
unsatable work enviroment
Was terminated for no reason i felt very uncomfortable with the manager
Shuttle Driver/Porter (Former Employee) –  Woodway, TXOctober 26, 2018
My day,
Get to work at 7:00 am get car out of shop make sure it was clean and had fuel. Check in with the service advisors to see if i had any riders, most days i would have riders until about 11:00am ( that is back and forth to the dealership to pickup and dropoff). I would then clean up waiting room and the restrooms and go to the bank for daily deposit. I then went to lunch and returned at 12:00pm. After lunch it was kinda slow so i looked around and found things to do. Cleaned windows, mop floors, cleaned up kitchen area put up parts ordered daily. Helped answer the phone. Then all the riders that morning were due to pickup for the evening. That would take me up until around 5:00 pm, the last hour I would wash and clean car and put up for next day operations. Really don't know what happened!
Pros
Enjoyed the customer interactions the pay was great also
Cons
No direction from management never really knew if i was doing what they wanted me to do.
Fairly good place to work
Automotive Repair Technician (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXApril 15, 2018
This was a decent place to work. Typical automotive shop. Plenty of shop politics. Young manager. Very little opportunity for career advancement. company was supportive of training.
Pros
pay
Cons
no benefits
Franchise
Automotive Technician (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 4, 2018
Not worth it to work for a franchise store!!!!!!!!!! Not to many good benefits. No job security whatsoever, poor management, no sick pay. I will never again work for a franchise store again!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just like any other shop
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas MetroplexDecember 16, 2017
Christian means they have Christian music playing and bibles in the waiting area. The owners pay low wages and lousy benefits. You will be working Good Friday, Christmas Eve, day after Thanksgiving. If you are a Christian, working here will ruin your walk with Christ. Corporate has no oversite of the employees. The owner can and will abuse you without any corporate accountability. The corporate office does nothing but make millions. The owner makes hundreds of thousands of dollars and employees can barely make ends meet. You will be making bricks without straw (biblical analogy). It is just a job.
Pros
Saturday and Sunday off
Cons
You have to be a hypocrite to survive.
Community and church based, clean enviroment.
Master Technician (Current Employee) –  Katy, TXNovember 15, 2018
Good place to work, management and some service advisors could use a bit of training. And tends to loose focus of the customer at times. But overall, good work enviroment.
Pros
Free lunch on thursday. Weekends off.
Cons
Long commute. Spend more time away from home than would like.
Amazing faculty
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Greeley, COApril 4, 2018
Absolutely loved this job, they treat each employee like family, have amazing benefits, and go above and beyond. they help customers and are fair to everyone
Pros
friday lunches
Not all but a few
Head European technician (Current Employee) –  Lone Tree, COAugust 30, 2018
The one I worked for was new. It was run by a brakes plus manager and all the employees except me were brakes plus members. The manager tried to run it like a brakes plus, being the euro technician I was constantly asked to perform work below the standards of manufacturers. No weight in BMW for alignment, it's a euro if something came back it was automatically your fault even when it was proven something separate had gone wrong. The owner was pretty decent and a good enough guy, however his speach to me was I was "butt hurt" for being forced to work 7 days a week after they went back on their word. If you're not a friend of theirs there is no place there for you. I was the ONLY master certified technician and they let me go to hire on another brakes plus member. Good luck running your shop like brakes plus.
Pros
Free lunch mondays, free stuff, awesome chip system, all the dealer scan tools
Cons
Hours, feel like your in a meat factory, run like every other brakes plus shop.
Great pay very low car count
Master Technician (Former Employee) –  NcMarch 22, 2018
Store has been open two years and has had three owners and 22 technicans . Current owner and service manager have no experience and it shows . Can't cover your time because car count is so low cooperate claims too care but does no advertising too help increase work load . Love the Christian Brothers faith and being allowed too help people in need is great just wish cooperate helped the franchise owners be successful .
Pros
Great pay . Good vacation time off . One hour lunch and great fellow technicans
Cons
Long hours no car count and management with no prior car care sales skills
Not who they say they are!
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 26, 2018
Wouldn't recommend working here at all. The owner acts like he is concerned about customers but really just wants there money. I have seen customers come in and be greeted by smiling people but once they left they would be made fun of. The owner and manger tell all the techs to look at the cars and make sure they make a big list of repairs to recommend. If the techs dont and go for just what is needed manger would get mad.
Pros
free lunch on Friday if goal met.
Cons
healthcare, manager, work load, and over recommending work to customers.
Porfessional clean Auromotive Service
Automotive Service Consultant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 9, 2018
Lot's of time on the phone with customers. I took this time to practice and perfect my customer service skills. Good management and employee support. Professional/casual culture. No one wants to spend money on their cars - this makes for some very difficult customers. Some customers really appreciate you and helping them makes you feel a sense of accomplishment.
Pros
Fair Job Security
Cons
Long hours, limited pay, limited advancement
Not all CBA's are the same...
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 10, 2018
Each shop is independently owned and operated, no two shops are run and operate the same. Your success is highly dependent on your shop owner/general manager. Many shop owners and managers have no prior automotive service and repair experience. Corporate office keeps a close eye on the shops weekly numbers, this is good and bad. The training and corporate office support is fantastic but only steps in when the shop is in dire straits. Great company overall, but I wish owners were more involved/experienced/knowledgeable and, well.... a true shop owner.
Pros
Resources, support, customers, weekends off
Cons
Poor store ownership, 55+ hour weeks, its all about the numbers.
Decent place for a flat rate shop
Technician (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 3, 2017
Better than a dealer, better than most indy shops. I enjoyed most of my time with CBA. They get a 4 out of 5 from me in this declining industry. CBA tris hard to keep the shops uniform, but its still a franchise. There are some that I would never go to and some that I would probably never leave.
Pros
Excellent training if you get lucky enough to go to the corporate training center, weekends off, most owners are genuine Christians, most shops are well equipped with scan tooling & J2534, most owners do outreach to community & individuals
Cons
LONG hours, no guaranteed salary, Flat rate = no cars, No money, expected to do free check outs, benefits are rediculously expensive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Christian Brothers Automotive. Our community is ready to answer.