Christiana Care Health System Employee Reviews for Registered Nurse

Good and Bad
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEFebruary 12, 2019
There really isn't a typical day anymore. It seems like we are in a feast or famine kind of thing. Some days I feel like a pretty darn great nurse and others when I feel like I was not helpful to my patients at all.
nursing
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEMarch 29, 2018
I work at the time all shifts and on oncology. It was my first job as a nurse. I learned that as a nurse you were not just there to give meds hang IV's. You are there to listen and to hold hands with those that just received the worst news you can imagine. The people there taught me a lot not just the staff but the patients. And in doing so I loved listening to their stories the would tell at they received their chemo. And now 19 years later I still will listen to my patients as I given them meds and do assessments. This is the best part of nursing hearing their stories.
Pros
learning that the patients always have great stories to be told
Cons
cancer sucks
I enjoyed working with my patients and my coworkers. It was great being with people all day.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEOctober 23, 2017
Christiana Care Health System is a rewarding, satisfying, and valuable company. I learned how to make sure I had all the instruments and medications needed for the surgeries being done. The patients' history and physical were checked and then I made sure I had the correct patient. Surgeries were performed 24/7. I comforted the patients as they went off to sleep. I learned to work well with my co-workers to the benefit of our patients and their families. Management was fair and helpful. The hardest part of my job was when a trauma patient couldn't be saved and they died. The most enjoyable part of my job was assisting the surgeon during operations and being with my patient.
Pros
education, free lunches, scrub outfits, my own locker, the closeness of Christiana Hospital
Cons
short breaks, no dental insurance
Nurse to patient ratio
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEOctober 4, 2017
The floor was always short staffed. There was never enough techs to help and the ones that we did have spent more time talking to each other than doing their work and attending to the patient's call bells. I worked on the same floor for almost 10 years and we had so much turnover recently because the nurses are burnt out, even new nurses
cutting edge
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Newark, DESeptember 5, 2017
new equipment, new people, challenging patients, great educational opportunities. always improvement, departments work together to achieve best outcome for the public they serve
Cons
nothing offered for the senior staff to continue working
Christiana Care Health System is a good place to work.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Newark, DESeptember 1, 2017
The Christiana Care Health system provides the right environment for employees to perform at their utmost while encouraging and supporting them in educational advancements. A typical day at work involves a focus on excellent patient care and a culture of safety for both patients and employees. The hardest part of the job is losing a patient after every possible resource and knowledge has been utilized to save that life. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing patients get better and return to the community to continue to lead productive lives. The most enjoyable part of the job is when employees get together for socialization to create a common bond. I have learned how to be resilient and empathetic as a nurse and have acquired extensive knowledge over the years, which helps me day by day while I take care of my patients.
Stressful work environment
Emergency Department RN (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEAugust 7, 2017
Busy emergency room, very stressful and fast paced job. Learned a lot about nursing and emergency medicine. Great overall experience. But the shift work was tiring with a family
Always something new to learn.
RN/CRRN (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJune 7, 2017
It is a great learning environment with attentive, caring management.
I enjoy the team in my department and I enjoy mentoring new graduate nurses. It is a comfortable workplace.
Pros
Benefits, tuition reimbursement, retirement plan and great pay-scale
Cons
Inner city location so there are numerous sirens.
Great group of people to work with
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEMay 22, 2017
I had a great experience in my years at CCHS. The ED was a great place to work. The Physician, nursing , tech, and ancillary staff all work well as a team. Many lasting friendships were formed. I was able to grow as a nurse, participating in many pilot studies and had many opportunities on many committees throughout the years to make positive changes in Nursing at CCHS.
Pros
Great teamwork
Cons
Recent lack of retention of nurses at the bedside
Magnet recognized hospital
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEMay 21, 2017
They strive to retain and promote nurses. The focus is patient safety and satisfaction. The hardest part of the job is difficult and unsatisfied patients and family and on the reverse the most enjoyable part of the job is patient and family satisfaction.
Pros
Nurses are a focus especially around retention and promoting
Cons
Schedules for nurses
great place to work
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Newark, DEMarch 28, 2017
great company to work for . Everyone is professional, courteous, and dedicated to doing their job, whatever it may be , from the kitchen, to cleaning staff to nurses and doctors
Very busy, large scale hospital
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEMarch 8, 2017
Christiana Hospital is a Magnet facility . Very large...1000+ beds. Excellent tuition reimbursement . On campus education. Excellent place to work!!
great place to work
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Newark, DEApril 28, 2016
CCHS is a great place to work. I have fabulous co-workers and enjoy my job. I have learned to be part of a team and management is great
Great work environment, but not on the mother-baby unit!
RN (Current Employee) –  Newark, DESeptember 27, 2015
I work in the maternal pediatrics pool as a RN, where we are assigned to work on the pediatric unit, NICU, or mother-baby unit. All the units, except for the mother-baby unit is supportive and assigns safe nursing ratios. Everytime, I'm assigned that unit, I am bracing myself for an unreasonable nursing assignment, no time to eat lunch or go to the bathroom. The RN turn-over on that unit is very high. There is a reason for that. Staff nurse morale on that unit is low and most nurses in the pool do not like working on this unit.
Pros
good nurses
Cons
no lunch breaks, mother-baby unit
Registered Nurse
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEAugust 20, 2015
I worked as a Charge Registered Nurse for acute Medical and Surgical Units. The units were a range of patients from Orthopedic, Vascular, Urology, Neurosurgery, ENT, Gynecology, General and Trauma Surgery. I educated patients and families on clinical pathways of post-operative care for either outpatient or inpatient cases. I was a liaison between physicians and patients as an advocate for a patient’s plan of care.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Newark, DESeptember 15, 2014
An excellent work environment with encouragement and provision for advanced education.
Great Place to Work
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Newark, DESeptember 3, 2014
CCHS makes sure you are always learning. As a "life-long" learner that's important to me. I left to pursue a new opportunity and have found that once you leave it is impossible to get back in. I loved working there and truly miss it.
Pros
Constant education
Cons
Very busy, fast paced, strenuous work.
Cchs
Staff Nurse Radiology (Current Employee) –  HFGCCJuly 18, 2014
Employed with CCHS since relocated 2004. Have grown profesisional and personally taking advantage of continuing education, which is highly encouraged and promoted at the facility.
A true Magnet Hospital!
RN (Current Employee) –  Stanton, DEMay 23, 2014
Excellent resources, support, and team environment. Christiana supported me in my career growth every step of the way.
Depends on the department
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Newark, DENovember 11, 2013
Loved working in radiation oncology
great physician group and many great nurses

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Christiana Care Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

0%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss