Christopher Newport University Employee Reviews

Extremely Rich Culture
Residence Life Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 6, 2018
full of development
good people
easy to build and maintain friendships/relationships
career growth
professional growth
personal growth
lots of fun
rich culture
Good to Student Workers
Front Desk Assistant-Night Shift (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 19, 2018
Great experience working at CNU during my undergraduate experience. I am disappointed that my position was not open to graduate students. This job (FDAN) is not for the faint of heart though. If you are a night owl then it is do-able, otherwise it will probably affect your schedule.
Fun place to work. Many great experiences over my years of working there
3rd head cook at Reggatta's pavilion on campus (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 7, 2018
Christopher Newport university is a pretty good place to work. The staff is friendly and the students are great and keep you motivated. A lot of school spirit
Great school, poor employees
Housing Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 5, 2018
The staff in the office is hit or miss on a daily basis. One day everything is fine, the next day someone is probably talking behind your back. Also, you don't get paid enough to deal with the parents and children that call and complain/ yell at you on a daily basis.
Howenstein-Christopher Newport University Review
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAMay 25, 2018
Christopher Newport University (CNU) is an ideal place to teach. The students are very engaged, and colleagues are extremely friendly and helpful.

The Dean and Chair of the Department are both so knowledgeable and amenable to any questions regarding student affairs that were beyond my purview.

The CNU environment is the definition of a "community."
Here's My Review
Multimedia Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAMay 24, 2018
CNU is a great place to work, but it suffers the dilemma of being a Liberal Arts University in the South. They are about 5 years behind in tech and organizational structuring.
A negative working environment
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAMay 23, 2018
I was the only Manager with a food Service Degree, the Management team was verbally abusive.The Staff was highly dedicated, morale was low due to poor management.
Pros
Providing services for the students
Cons
Management team
Fun and Ideal workplace
Economics Tutor (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAMay 18, 2018
Christopher Newport offered me a home for school and for a tutoring job. I couldn't imagine what it was like being a full time employee here, because it seems to be absolutely perfect.
Pros
Fun and Enjoyable work enviornment
Fun and quick paced
STUDENT ATHLETIC TRAINING INTERN (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAMay 8, 2018
Working at CNU was an amazing experience. Since this was my first time being in an athletic training environment as an intern I was eager to learn any & everything I possibly could. My supervisor was always willing to teach me lessons and help me understand what was going on before she began a treatment.
Great work environment
Summer Housing Coordinator/Event Management (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 5, 2018
The people that I work with are amazing and nothing but professional. The hardest part of the job would be taking care of different popup responsibilities that could come at any minute.
Student worker
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 5, 2018
It is a in campus job. You are paid minimum wage. Not every job is hard. During the summer they offer housing to students.That is really all there is to say.
Relaxed
Campus Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 3, 2018
worked only part time we were afforded a break room took breaks as needed had to patrol campus at least once an hour given the use of a golf cart to patrol
Pros
hours
Cons
hours
Amazing place to get a start
MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAMarch 29, 2018
Supportive management and enjoyable work environment. No room for advancement and pay is minimal. Students are amazing and make the day enjoyable. Disconnect between administration and staff.
great university
Adjunct Professor of Philosophy (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAMarch 28, 2018
great university; non denominational; experienced and capable leadership; great facilities and a strong sense of faculty community and student involvement
Solid experience
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAMarch 7, 2018
The difficulty of the job was entirely dependent on the behavior of the residents and the goings on in the hall. It can really help someone develop conflict resolution skills and crisis management skills. The former director hovered a bit but the new person is much better. The workplace was usually really fun and all my coworkers were very easy to talk to. The most enjoyable part of the job was hanging out with residents outside of them reaching out for help
Pros
free food, free dorm
Cons
monthly bulletin boards
Stressfull
Landscape Manager (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 12, 2018
Director had been in place for 5 years, Assistant Director had been in place 1 year, they both expected my to create a team of coworkers that loved being at work, had positive attitudes, and worked hard and diligently together, all within the first six months that I was there (which neither of them had been able to do themselves.) I had managed to get the female workers working together in harmony, but while the male workers were "working together", they were still working towards derailing progress, not enabling a cohesive work environment.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Extremely poor leadership and management
Christopher Newport Management
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 10, 2018
The establishment is a decent place to work for. The students make the establishment come to life. The management repertoire varies by department. The immediate manager that had was amazing. She was very personable, and reliable. The succeeding manager was improperly trained, and was not supportive.
Pros
Free housing and meals
Cons
Disregard for 'Student First' policy
Cnu
Assistant Volleyball Coach (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 9, 2018
Working at Christopher Newport University was one of the greatest experiences. The culture of CNU is something that you cannot find anywhere else in this world.
Wonderful university
Lecturer of Spanish (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 7, 2018
Best university ever-- best faculty, administration, students, work culture. Wonderful office space and support staff. I cannot think of a better place to work.
Productive and fun
ultility person (Former Employee) –  The Commons Dining HallJanuary 31, 2018
Great atmosphere and fun people to work with.....if I could do it again I definitely would without a doubt...great staff to work with....i still stop to visit from time to time
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks