Chuck & Don's Pet Food & Supplies Employee Reviews

Doing ok but could be better
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Littleton, COJune 21, 2018
The stores need better management. They just hired a DM who is Sexist and racist to employees. She discriminates against employees with disabilities . Many store managers are like this.
Pros
Free bag of food every month. Discounts.
Cons
Bad management
good place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNJune 11, 2018
Best place to work. You get to know your pet store regulars and you learn so much about the products you are selling and get to try them on your pets at home.
Tread lightly
Manager (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaFebruary 9, 2018
Some upper management will fail you.
If you do not create a perfect environment for every single person in your store, they will make up very ridiculous lies about you that some upper management will not bother to take the time to investigate and disprove.
Lovely staff
Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Blaine, MNJanuary 8, 2018
I met some lifelong friends working here. Its a great atmosphere I really enjoyed it. The management was wonderful. I loved seeing the dogs come in and remember me from last time. The best is when they know where the treat drawer is.
Pros
get to hang out with dogs
Cons
no cons
Perfect for animal enthusiasts
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Forest Lake, MNDecember 13, 2017
You will learn a lot about different products and foods. You also get to see animals on a daily basis, and work with their owners on their selections for their animal's well-being.
Knowledgeable and caring work environment
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chanhassen, MNOctober 25, 2017
Much of the work at Chuck and Don's includes putting product away and speaking with customers about the issues they are currently experiencing with their pets. Knowledgeable solutions are offered that are different from traditional vet methods. Much of the company relies on sharing new information and constantly staying on top of the innovations going on in the pet food industry.
Pros
Dogs come in to the store, lively team, in-depth information about pet nutrition
Cons
wage is low, benefits are only available for full time employees.
Good part time job, horrible full time
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Highland Park, MNOctober 1, 2017
Chuck and Don's would be a great part time job for extra money but working there full time is a nightmare. The favoritism is ridiculous. I always enjoyed working with my coworkers but the store managers are usually obese women who don't do anything except sit in the back room. The store managers expect you to kiss their butt and if you don't they will get rid of you. I had MANY different store managers and they all were lazy. They are pushy about upselling and hitting sales numbers. Do not work here full time!
Pros
Pet food education, free pet food
Cons
Lazy managers, favoriting, drama
great for a part time job
Manger Assistant (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaAugust 17, 2017
hours sucked if you were full time. fighting for time off and was called in on every day off. pay was ok for team member not for management, corporate staff is a joke only a few were good rest didnt care about store staff. expected to do whatever customer wanted, even if it was about safety. how the store runs is based on the store manager some are great others ruin the stores but wont be fired from company. they say employee owned but not really its owned by corp. great public image but all lies about store staff
Pros
co workers and pets coming in
Cons
over staffed, underpaid, not valued
Ok Job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cottage Grove, MNJuly 26, 2017
very physically demanding. lifting 50+ bags all day, everyday poor negative management pushed me to quit. So much negativity in 1 store made it hard to be positive
Awesome place to work!
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Wayzata, MNMay 21, 2017
I just loved working here. So many great employees and we became like family. Learned so much about pet food and the quality of pet food, and saw so many dogs. Always learning something new!
Good Company with great people
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 16, 2017
Not your average retail job. The customer service focus and focus to the animals that come into the store makes it a very enjoyable atmosphere. The culture was centered around a strong team.
Not very good
supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 9, 2017
Favorites get promoted, many people dont do their job, pay is horrible, management is bad. I felt like i was doing more work due to the fact that others would just stand around. Great for a first time job not a career
Part time sale position
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodbury, MNApril 26, 2017
Chuck and Don's can be a fun place to work, I mean you get to pay with a bunch of dogs that come into the store,. The management can be out of control, it is pretty easy for them to get a god complex and choose that they don't have to do anything at work. It can be tough at times.
Good Job, bad hours
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COApril 4, 2017
Nice to work at, fun, little to no problems. Often get new managers, co-workers were awesome. I loved the team builds, and the things we'd get together to do.
okay job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Wayzata, MNNovember 27, 2016
typical hours a week 20-30 hours, no benefits, if your looking for full time team member they never will. the management was poor. the company has alot of improvement to be done.
Pros
free dog food monthly, educated on products, flexible hours
Cons
poor management
Rampant Favoritism, no room for real advancement
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Highland Park, MNNovember 2, 2016
This company hired me in 2015, but by my 1 year anniversary, everything about them had changed. I came in with the idea of a small, independent, pet supply store which was truly about what is best for the animals. At first, the pay was competitive with similar jobs in the area, the environment was relaxed enough, and the deals were good. That lasted less than 6 months. The company is focused on numbers and selling and upselling.

Through changes in management, everything has changed. My old store manager gave promotions based on seniority and merit; my new one only hands them out if you hound them for one, no matter how long you have been with the company. Their ideas of 'documentation' are basically management getting to write up non-management for whatever they please,whereas they can act on their own whim without repercussion.

I learned that after a year, the typical raise is only 25 cents, and you have to wait an entire year before you are eligible for any type of raise. Management, however, gets bonuses for making budget, which equal 1-3 months of work for the typical non-management employee. They also get bonuses for overtime, whereas non-management cannot make overtime. Thirdly, their bonuses are not set in stone. One manager got nearly a 50 cent raise whereas another got a sub-20 cent raise in the same period. They can also get raises more than annually.

Favoritism is rampant; you will be watched like a hawk if the management doesn't especially like you. You will be scrutinized far more than other employees whether you are doing things right or wrong--and
  more... you'll constantly be accused of doing them wrong.

TL;DR: Don't work for this place. Worst retail I've ever encountered. Even walmart pays more than them.
Fun please to work!
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Wayzata, MNJuly 16, 2016
It is a wonderful work environment and has amazing work ethnic. Everyone who works at Chuck and Don's is well knowledgable about the product or is always willing to learn.
Good Job
PT Team Member (Current Employee) –  Wayzata, MNMarch 16, 2016
The people I worked with are laid back. Most days are shipment day besides weekends. Some of the customers are difficult to handle. I enjoy seeing customers bring there dogs in.
Pros
willing to help other stores out, monthly free food, ability to learn more about dog food companies
Cons
no benefits
Love this place. Truly a wonderful place to work.
Full Time Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Blaine, MNFebruary 28, 2016
Love this place. Truly a wonderful place to work. Great team, wonderful customers, beautiful pets.

Typical day at work is filled with variety and much interpersonal interaction. I've learned that people who own pets truly are happy and wonderful folks ... and people who work with them are equally wonderful.

The hardest part of the job is that it's a variable schedule and pay is not what I'm accustomed to. I wish I could continue working here and make what I used to make salary-wise. This is retail.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the customers (both human and 4-legged). It has been just amazing getting to know people who have so much love to give to their animals. It has also been amazing to help in any way I can.
Pros
Great team. Free food for my pets at home.
Cons
I wish I could make more money and not have to work weekends doing this, but this is retail and that's what retail is.
Low Pay
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 11, 2016
Pay was low for the amount of work that is required of management. Long hours over the weekend with little help from others. The do close on all holidays so employees can be with family.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chuck & Don's Pet Food & Supplies. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.8

2.6Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight