Chuck & Don's Pet Food & Supplies Employee Reviews

Sad waste of effort
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Littleton, CODecember 24, 2018
Double standard with management in a sexist way. A GM who was always gone and didn't care either way. I was there for years and I am not a guy so it didn't matter. If you are in your 20s and into immature clicks, it might work for you.
Doing ok but could be better
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Littleton, COJune 21, 2018
The stores need better management. They just hired a DM who is Sexist and racist to employees. She discriminates against employees with disabilities . Many store managers are like this.
Pros
Free bag of food every month. Discounts.
Cons
Bad management
great for a part time job
Manger Assistant (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaAugust 17, 2017
hours sucked if you were full time. fighting for time off and was called in on every day off. pay was ok for team member not for management, corporate staff is a joke only a few were good rest didnt care about store staff. expected to do whatever customer wanted, even if it was about safety. how the store runs is based on the store manager some are great others ruin the stores but wont be fired from company. they say employee owned but not really its owned by corp. great public image but all lies about store staff
Pros
co workers and pets coming in
Cons
over staffed, underpaid, not valued
Tread lightly
Manager (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaFebruary 9, 2018
Some upper management will fail you.
If you do not create a perfect environment for every single person in your store, they will make up very ridiculous lies about you that some upper management will not bother to take the time to investigate and disprove.
good place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNJune 11, 2018
Best place to work. You get to know your pet store regulars and you learn so much about the products you are selling and get to try them on your pets at home.
Knowledgeable and caring work environment
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chanhassen, MNOctober 25, 2017
Much of the work at Chuck and Don's includes putting product away and speaking with customers about the issues they are currently experiencing with their pets. Knowledgeable solutions are offered that are different from traditional vet methods. Much of the company relies on sharing new information and constantly staying on top of the innovations going on in the pet food industry.
Pros
Dogs come in to the store, lively team, in-depth information about pet nutrition
Cons
wage is low, benefits are only available for full time employees.
Only Good Things To Say!
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNApril 6, 2015
I love my job at Chuck and Don's. I have learned more than I ever imagined about pet nutrition. It's not just another pet store gig--they give you extensive knowledge, so you can act as a consultant to customers.

Must be a dog lover to work here. People bring their dogs in, and we're expected to greet them, give them a treat, etc. As a dog lover, I consider this a perk.

Everyone I have met, from my store, to nearby stores, to corporate, is super nice.

They are very accommodating with availability and time off. I have never had a problem with overscheduling or mistakes.

Chuck and Don's is a great company, too. They run multiple fundraisers for local rescues, and let their employees vote on which rescues they will support that season.

You will work up a sweat. We have shipments every day, of big bags of dog food. I think of it as another perk; I don't have to go to the gym!
Pros
Cute animals, friendly environment.
Cons
Some crazy customers, lots of coupons to deal with.
Lovely staff
Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Blaine, MNJanuary 8, 2018
I met some lifelong friends working here. Its a great atmosphere I really enjoyed it. The management was wonderful. I loved seeing the dogs come in and remember me from last time. The best is when they know where the treat drawer is.
Pros
get to hang out with dogs
Cons
no cons
Great job for minimum wage.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lakeville, MNAugust 13, 2012
I liked working at Chuck & Don's, The raises are small, but better then most retail. You can advance easily if you can work nights and weekends. Management can very depending on store. They train you very well in pet nutrition.
Pros
fun enviorment
Cons
low pay raises
Rampant Favoritism, no room for real advancement
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Highland Park, MNNovember 2, 2016
This company hired me in 2015, but by my 1 year anniversary, everything about them had changed. I came in with the idea of a small, independent, pet supply store which was truly about what is best for the animals. At first, the pay was competitive with similar jobs in the area, the environment was relaxed enough, and the deals were good. That lasted less than 6 months. The company is focused on numbers and selling and upselling.

Through changes in management, everything has changed. My old store manager gave promotions based on seniority and merit; my new one only hands them out if you hound them for one, no matter how long you have been with the company. Their ideas of 'documentation' are basically management getting to write up non-management for whatever they please,whereas they can act on their own whim without repercussion.

I learned that after a year, the typical raise is only 25 cents, and you have to wait an entire year before you are eligible for any type of raise. Management, however, gets bonuses for making budget, which equal 1-3 months of work for the typical non-management employee. They also get bonuses for overtime, whereas non-management cannot make overtime. Thirdly, their bonuses are not set in stone. One manager got nearly a 50 cent raise whereas another got a sub-20 cent raise in the same period. They can also get raises more than annually.

Favoritism is rampant; you will be watched like a hawk if the management doesn't especially like you. You will be scrutinized far more than other employees whether you are doing things right or wrong--and
  more... you'll constantly be accused of doing them wrong.

TL;DR: Don't work for this place. Worst retail I've ever encountered. Even walmart pays more than them.
Not very good
supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 9, 2017
Favorites get promoted, many people dont do their job, pay is horrible, management is bad. I felt like i was doing more work due to the fact that others would just stand around. Great for a first time job not a career
Good part time job, horrible full time
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Highland Park, MNOctober 1, 2017
Chuck and Don's would be a great part time job for extra money but working there full time is a nightmare. The favoritism is ridiculous. I always enjoyed working with my coworkers but the store managers are usually obese women who don't do anything except sit in the back room. The store managers expect you to kiss their butt and if you don't they will get rid of you. I had MANY different store managers and they all were lazy. They are pushy about upselling and hitting sales numbers. Do not work here full time!
Pros
Pet food education, free pet food
Cons
Lazy managers, favoriting, drama
Love this place. Truly a wonderful place to work.
Full Time Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Blaine, MNFebruary 28, 2016
Love this place. Truly a wonderful place to work. Great team, wonderful customers, beautiful pets.

Typical day at work is filled with variety and much interpersonal interaction. I've learned that people who own pets truly are happy and wonderful folks ... and people who work with them are equally wonderful.

The hardest part of the job is that it's a variable schedule and pay is not what I'm accustomed to. I wish I could continue working here and make what I used to make salary-wise. This is retail.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the customers (both human and 4-legged). It has been just amazing getting to know people who have so much love to give to their animals. It has also been amazing to help in any way I can.
Pros
Great team. Free food for my pets at home.
Cons
I wish I could make more money and not have to work weekends doing this, but this is retail and that's what retail is.
Fun work environment but difficult to advance
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Roseville, MNJanuary 3, 2013
Fun work environment which is customer service based. Training program could be more regulated between the different locations with the help of a corporate training program which currently doesn't exist. I have learned lots of great information in regards to pet nutrition and products and it is necessary to know to help customers but with the amount you need to know they really should pay more. I have been with the company for 3 years but don't see the opportunity for promotion in the near future. They do promote some individuals and say they like to strive to promote internally but I am looking for another job because I can't live off of what they pay team members even with full time hours. Great flexibility with scheduling during school and that is why I have stayed so long.
Pros
free bag of pet food a month, flexible scheduling, and fun educational environment
Cons
hard to get promoted, doesn't pay enough
okay job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Wayzata, MNNovember 27, 2016
typical hours a week 20-30 hours, no benefits, if your looking for full time team member they never will. the management was poor. the company has alot of improvement to be done.
Pros
free dog food monthly, educated on products, flexible hours
Cons
poor management
Low Pay
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 11, 2016
Pay was low for the amount of work that is required of management. Long hours over the weekend with little help from others. The do close on all holidays so employees can be with family.
Not the best place to work if your looking to advance in the company or be treated like a wanted employee.
Supervisor / Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mahtomedi, MNOctober 3, 2012
I had worked for this company for more then four years and it was a nice place to work until it came time for raises or promotions. The management was far from pleasent to work with due to "clicks" and hiring of friends. I was to be promoted to supervisor after working for the company for three years as a sale associate. I had already started doing a lot of the work that a supervisor does and was suppose to be promoted to the posistion in a three month period. Instead the manager pushed me off for almost a year! If your not liked among the managers or assistant managers you will be denied raises, because they are based on performance reviews. Even though my customer service skill were outstanding (many positive customer surveys and comments) my product knowledge was more advanced then my mangers or asstant managers, and I followed the rules of the company. I was constantly "put down" by my managers to my co-workers and even corperate office staff and was denied raises into the upper levels by less then 1% on my reviews due to poor performance or some other issue. It got even worse after I submitted documentation that the manger was stealing from the register and also product. (It was suppose to be confidental but the manager found out about it due to the other management were his friends. So much for confidentality.) It was very fustrating and even after talking with HR and the director of operations nothing was ever done to reprimend the manager. Instead they found it best to relieve me of my duties and terminated me.
If it hadn't been for the problems with management I would
  more... have loved this job. My co-workers were some of the best I've worked with. Many quit after I was let go because of the management issues and not being treated fairly. (harassed for appearence even though they were following dress code, not giving time off during the holiday season, not being promoted in a timely manner). It was nice to know in the end that my team thought of me as being a great boss and co-worker when my management peers did not.
For me the best part of this job was helping the customers. Whether it be recommending a food for an allergy dog or just talking to them about their pets was alway full filling.
Pros
free pet foods and discounts on merchandis
Cons
health insurence was too expensive, managers not doing their jobs
Perfect for animal enthusiasts
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Forest Lake, MNDecember 13, 2017
You will learn a lot about different products and foods. You also get to see animals on a daily basis, and work with their owners on their selections for their animal's well-being.
Ok Job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cottage Grove, MNJuly 26, 2017
very physically demanding. lifting 50+ bags all day, everyday poor negative management pushed me to quit. So much negativity in 1 store made it hard to be positive
Part time sale position
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodbury, MNApril 26, 2017
Chuck and Don's can be a fun place to work, I mean you get to pay with a bunch of dogs that come into the store,. The management can be out of control, it is pretty easy for them to get a god complex and choose that they don't have to do anything at work. It can be tough at times.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chuck & Don's Pet Food & Supplies. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight