Church Mutual Insurance Company Employee Reviews

A good place to work, but some issues need to be addressed.
Workers Compensation Claim Representative III (Current Employee) –  Merrill, WIFebruary 11, 2019
New management has been brought in recently with a "who you know" rather than "what you know" mentality.

I feel the company is a bit behind the times, in that they are not moving ahead with giving employees the option to work at home. It is something that is continually brought up, but simply placed back on the shelf.

There is an atmosphere where apathy and poor attitudes/work performance are tolerated.

I take pride in my work, and my work ethic.
Horrible supervisors are put in place
Product Analyst (Former Employee) –  Merrill, WIAugust 30, 2018
Very few supervisors who do not micro manage, you will be lucky to land a job with one that allows you to do what you would think is in your job description.

I got to a point where I did not even know what my job duties were anymore because the supervisor took on all the tasks that I thought were my tasks.

You get controlled to do things a certain way, there is a fine line that is invisible, and if you cross that line that you cannot see, then you get put on a bad list. No trust even though I never under performed or performed poorly.

No supervisor support, you get thrown under the bus and in the fire, and then on top of all that your supervisor won't have your back in any of it. He/She will only put more pressure on you, and not even have your back.

Sure it could be the same at any company, but by far, this is the worst experience I have had in my 30 years of working.
Pros
Profit Sharing, Flex Schedule
Cons
Poor supervisors skills - many micro managing ones
Run
Claims (Former Employee) –  Merrill, WIAugust 24, 2018
The current management has run the company to the ground. Toxic culture. Arrogant leadership that is self serving & instead of investing in the tools & resources to be successful they demand more and more from fewer and fewer employees. They have been systematically eliminating employees over 45.
Pros
Cons
Leadership
Challenges with specific levels of authority to address them
VICE PRESIDENT - Broker Distribution (Current Employee) –  Merrill, WIApril 11, 2018
Overall good company in transition with significant change occurring at all levels of the company. Markets and products being refined as product depth and breadth need to be expanded for Church Mutual to broaden their business with brokers
Church Mutual
Claims (Current Employee) –  MerrillMarch 12, 2018
The amount of work is unrealistic for the staff on hand. Outdated systems and too many programs running at once causes computer difficulties. No work from home option. Benefits are expensive.
Daily struggles
Claims Service Representative - Property (Current Employee) –  Merrill, WIMarch 6, 2018
The company is changing overall management. No longer family oriented. Huge turnover. Outdated systems and tools to try and reach managements unrealistic expectations.
Pros
Unrealistic expectations
Cons
Computer system is outdated
High Volume Work with Ancient Software.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Merrill, WIFebruary 26, 2018
Church Mutual on the surface appears to be a friendly place. In reality, the employees are buried in work and given unrealistic expectations. The deadlines and cross management creates an atmosphere of befuddlement.

The salary isn't bad, but the health insurance is terrible. The 37.5 hour work week is a carrot that ends when your issued a backpack to take your work home with you after putting in 48 hour hours at the office.

REALLY ARCHAIC SOFTWARE SYSTEM!!!
Pros
Nice home office building. .
Cons
Modest Salary. Work load, archaic computer software and heavy levels of middle management.
Long history
Insurance (Former Employee) –  Merrill, WIFebruary 26, 2018
Long history in the community. The lack of remote jobs is disappointing as it limits the talent pool especially in a small town. There has been a lot of turnover recently,
stay away unless you want to be micro managed & work 50 + hours each week
Regional Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Merrill, WIDecember 17, 2017
No longer a good place to work. Used to be great but that has all changed with the new leadership. All Church Mutual cares about now is new sales. They no longer care about the church, just how much money they can make off of them. Very sad environment now. Expect to be micro managed to the extreme. Some of the long term managers are still good but not many of them around anymore. The company has huge turnover now, never used to. The sales pressure is more than most can handle. Expect to work about 60 hours per week, document everything, and if sales fall short...you will fear for your job. I would not recommend this company to anyone looking for something long term.
Pros
company car
Cons
Management, unrealistic sales goals, misserable place to work
Great Place to Work
Information Processor (Current Employee) –  Merrill, WINovember 14, 2017
Plenty of opportunities for advancement, great salary and benefits, and great leadership. Friendly atmosphere. Every day is a different day, you are not doing the same thing all the time.
N/a
Senior Claims service representative workers comp (Current Employee) –  Merrill, WISeptember 28, 2017
The workload is not manageable . The system is outdated and processes are not efficient. There is little ability to move within departments and grow in other areas of the company
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
In My Opinion
Underwriter Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Merrill, WISeptember 23, 2017
Typical day at work was okay. A lot to learn about insurance.
Learned that insurance can be complicated.
The management was pretty good, easy to talk to.
Work place was nice at the beginning then they moved me to a building that was cold, drafty, and smelled like diesel fuel all the time due to a trucking company under us.
The hardest part of the job was the drive, 35 miles on bad roads.
The most enjoyable to meeting new people.
Pros
Lunch was pretty good in the main building, we get breaks.
Cons
The people I met there
Lots of communication and teamwork
Policy Processing Associate (Former Employee) –  Merrill, WISeptember 19, 2017
good place to work. I enjoyed the teamwork atmosphere. I worked very well with my other teammates and we did what we needed to do to get the job done.
More than a job. It was a of life.
Regional Direct Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Merrill, WISeptember 2, 2017
CMIC was a great place to work. I worked my way up to top management and I was the only top manager without a degree.

My position as Regional manager allowed me to travel all over the USA, Mexico and the Caribbean.

One of my main duties was to organize the annual Sales Trip. The PCA was a one time each year fun trip (no meetings) that the sales representatives and division managers could win, (through new sales) to an all expense trip to five star resorts. Their spouses would attend also at no cost to the rep.
Pros
Company Car, with unlimited expense account.
a good place to be
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Merrill, WIAugust 1, 2017
overall, a great company to work for, if you can get into it now. They are requiring a college education for something that really does not need one to get the job done.
Pros
pay, now a college education is needed
Cons
hard to advance
Growing Companys
Claim Service Representative- (Former Employee) –  Merrill, WIJuly 24, 2017
Always plenty of work to do. Very nice and professional office surroundings. Fellow employees are fun and friendly and easy to work with. Training provided.
Company trying to get out of the 80's
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Merrill, WIJuly 18, 2017
The company is trying to change the culture of a small town insurance company. They may be large in their niche but lack the upper management to provide actual change. They hired an entire contingent of contractors from India to assist with a systems upgrade instead of hiring quality local staff. They promote family values but are behind the times and will not compete with other larger insurance companies.
Pros
Friendly Co-workers
Cons
Location, SR management
Great Company
Sales (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 11, 2017
Great- stable company with good leadership and takes care of customers and employees. Hard working company and the industry leader. work-life balance could be improved, but overall excellent company.
They have recently close to doubled the sales targets of field reps causing a lot of stress on sales people. They pay well for a stable career, just be prepared to roll up your sleeves!
Pros
free lunch for sales people on the road. work from home opportunities.
Cons
high sales goals
Professional work environment
Human Resource Temparary/Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Merrill, WIMarch 23, 2017
Organization appreciates higher education and emphasizes the importance of building internal business partnerships, while offering an innovative work culture and supports employee development.
Lacks direction
Senior Claim Examiner (Former Employee) –  Merrill, WIMarch 14, 2017
Company seems to lack direction and leadership - no shortage of checklist management staff that is quick to find (or create) reasons to put employees on review or to terminate employment
Pros
Was a great company
Cons
Technology is over a decade behind the industry; fear and intimidation is the 'new' normal

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Church Mutual Insurance Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9