Chuze Fitness Employee Reviews

Seems amazing, but that's a lie
Team Member/ Team Member Trainer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 21, 2019
When you start working here everything seems amazing and hopeful and positive. Then after a while you start to see all the games and the favoritism and it becomes a very hostile work environment. Management does not know what they're doing. The turnover rate is ridiculous. At first they make you feel appreciated and then they turn around an act shiesty. It's a very confusing place to be. when you are not welcome anymore they will do anything in their power to try and get you fired even when they don't have grounds to do so. I probably could have sued them if I would have proceeded with that, but I decided against that due to my own personal health and I didn't want it to be some long drawn out battle. This place is great for students who have all the free time in the world. Definitely not a place for working mothers or fathers. It's a place full of hypocrites as well. I recommend this job only as an entry-level job just have something on a resume for something better down the road. There is so much drama drama drama. Beware.
Pros
Free gum membership
Cons
Everything else
Love the members, don't love the manager
Team Member (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 24, 2019
I really loved the job itself; I never minded the cleaning and I thouroughly enjoyed the people who would come in to work out. What I didn't love was my management, leaving the job months ago was a great decision based on the fact that I never felt as though I could really move up within the company. Not only that, but I always felt highly underappreciated for the work that I did, that we all did. Management was not communicative and did not help individuals reach their full potential. Sad actually.
Pros
free membership
Cons
most everything else
Fun, friendly work environment
Team Training Instructor (Former Employee) –  Rialto, CAMarch 18, 2019
Very friendly co-workers, great managers, great pay for your level of work ethic. You work either 4 hours in the morning or evening, or both if you are lucky. You MUST have a high level of energy and be great at engaging large groups of people.
Pros
Discounts, Work-Life Balance
Cons
Low hours
Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 15, 2019
Every location is going to be different! Some are a franchise and some aren’t. The one star review below mine is completely opposite to what I experience at work. I have the best managers who always ask me how I’m doing. Everyone on the team does their part and gets along good. It’s such a fun and happy work environment that you don’t ever leave work stressed. You can move up in the company extremely fast as it is growing rapidly. They really do care about you and your well being. Of course every job has some difficult aspects to it, but it wouldn’t be ‘work’ if it didn’t. I never fear of getting yelled at or looked down upon, everyone treats you as their equal including the GMs and District Managers. But like I said, every location will be different so I suggest asking your hiring manager questions as well!
Pros
Free Gym Membership, positive work environment
Cons
The pay could be better
Fun place that taught me a lot about life and myself.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAMarch 15, 2019
A typical day at work consisted of me getting to walk around the gym and greet every member I make eye contact with while assessing what needs to be done around the facility in terms of cleanliness, maintenance, or policy enforcing. Once that complete I would head to the front desk and swap out whoever is already there so I can take care of member sign ups and account changes. I learned not only so much about life and people while working for Chuze but I also learned a great deal about myself, what I can and cannot handle and what I am capable of. The culture was by far the best I've ever experienced. No matter how I entered work before clocking in, whether I was happy or sad, I always left feeling accomplished. The hardest part of the job was having to leave since I relocated. Nothing about the actual job itself was too difficult for me at least. The most enjoyable part of the job was making a difference in a stranger's life with something so simple as just greeting them at the door.
Pros
Free membership, 30% discount on merchandise
Cons
advancement is a difficult process
Horrible place to work. Don’t waste your time
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COFebruary 14, 2019
meeting new people and seeing the same guests was great!! But everything else was horrible. You’re doing way more work then you’re getting paid to do. They say they’re all about friendliness and family. Yet my managers were extremely rude to me all the time. If I needed something ordered, he wouldn’t do it unless someone else told him. Every time I went to say hi, he would just walk away. And I always got yelled at if I needed to use the restroom. How dare I use the bathroom on company time, right? The managers are just rude and unprofessional. And if you have an issue with one of them, you have to keep it to yourself. HR won’t do anything except tell them and make the issue worse. The staff is okay. But they are rude if you work kidsclub and don’t want to help them with THEIR responsibility’s when your shift is over. But expecting them to come help with your responsibilities is like asking them for a kidney. And when you want to move up in the company, you better be one of their favorite employees. Or forget it. You’re stuck where you are. You don’t get a real break. They will interrupt you and have you go clean something on your break. They say they will help you. But they won’t. I think Chuze is one of the worst company’s I have ever worked for.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Everything about working there
Good SHORT TERM Job, Possibly better in larger districts.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 20, 2019
This job is good in the short term, but there are many sketchy things that happen as you try to advance. Some of the things in this district that were major red flags:

Many of the managers are married, all the way up through the company. If you feel uncomfortable or have issues with management, who do you approach? HR does not help anyone but management, and will just redirect any issues back to management. That effectively makes it a highly volatile environment for getting advice/voicing complaints.

I saw sexual misconduct complaints buried.

They constantly will try to sell you on the job to qualm discontent. Mandatory meetings and team outings where they will try to sell you on their "family friendly culture" and try to gaslight any issues within that location back onto the employees (there are one of two patterns that follows all locations... this message being repeated to existing employees once employees begin to settle into a location, or high turnover. Once again, none of the employees will feel comfortable approaching HR. It took me getting a job with actual positive company culture to realize how this is NOT normal at other jobs).

They will promise you a certain schedule as a full-time employee and can't deliver. I had to drop over $1000 worth of classes during my employment because their turnover meant they couldn't schedule what they promised me.

Unreliable management. If it's not outright bad/sketchy management, it's unreliable. I have known of several employees from all different locations where management attempted to write them up after incorrectly
  more... scheduling them during their school schedule. Once again, their turnover negatively impacts their employees and if you stay there long term it affects your work/life balance. They also were totally unorganized, and would leave out pending writeup drafts on their computers as those employees clocked in. The rest of the shift I would have to supervise bummed out employees with a massive feeling of dread, that would hang over their head during their shifts. No feelings of job security for them.

To expand on the above, I've seen employees written up for being sick with doctor notes because they didn't have AZ sick time.

Compensation was not good. They will rave about promotions and company culture, but be aware they have high turnover and need to combat that by selling you more responsibilities/harder work ethic. They more than once tried to talk me into putting school on hold so they could transfer me to one of the new districts. Keep in mind many jobs in the area will not require you to work as hard and offer needed benefits like 401k (chuze does not? why? ), and MUCH better health insurance and job advancement. Learn what you can learn in the meantime, but this company, despite what they say, do not follow old-fashioned company values. There is NOT company loyalty and if you feel underpaid (as most supervisors/veteran employees do, as they expect you to tackle on more responsibilities with minimal promotions) after 1.5 years, seriously consider relocating your skills to a company that will pay you for them.

Many of these positive reviews are also operations (management, home office, high positions in the company that don't have to deal with these issues) which I can see clearly from the employment duration

That said, these only become issues after you get settled. Before you're settled, you're still unskilled and can get away with avoiding these things, but eventually, they really erode all sense of a work-life balance and the issues become very apparent.
Pros
vision, dental
Cons
numerous, but only apparent after the first year
Warning to Kids Club applicants
Kids Club Attendant (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, CODecember 17, 2018
If you are applying for Kids Club, be prepared to not work back there all the time. I had to leave because they would barely schedule me in Kids Club but rather up front, and when I talked to them about it they said that they were actually full on Kids Club members - even though thats what I applied for! The whole issue was very shady and aggravating honestly.

That being said, the employees and managers are very nice, but don't expect any training.
Pros
Good coworkers, ok hours and ok pay
Cons
No training, got put in a position I didn't apply for.
Overall, I loved my job
Kids Club Attendant (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 13, 2018
Chuze was a really great place to work. I made friends with all my coworkers, and I loved all the kids I came in contact with while working there. This job taught me many valuable lessons about what it takes to be an exceptional employee.
Great staff, awesome facility, fun job
Associate (Current Employee) –  Westminster, COSeptember 26, 2018
The location I worked at had hired great staff. It’s a lot of cleaning, smiling, and more cleaning. Everyone generally works as a team so it’s a pretty cool place to work.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Low pay, scheduling, advancement
Personal fitness
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Chula VistaSeptember 18, 2018
I'm single parent raising 15 yrs old highschool teenager.Volunteer in their school for 2yrs.doing custodiant cleaning and maintained cleanliness of whole school.
Pros
free food
Cons
Shortbreaks
Super fun and wonderful atmosphere
Team Member (Former Employee) –  National City, CASeptember 6, 2018
I loved working there I would go back if I could you grow so much as a person just working there you get to meet different type of people and experience what it is to have outstanding customer Service.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Wish they gave more hours
Low stress, positive work environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  La Mesa, CASeptember 5, 2018
Tasks displayed daily and easy to complete. Entire staff shared work load and worked to complet same tasks. No sales goals resulting in low stress work environment. Employees scheduled 20-40 hours per week,depending on position.
Pros
Free gym membership for employees
Cons
Low pay for crew workers and supervisors
Incredible Company
DFM (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 28, 2018
I joined Chuze 6 years ago and have not looked back. It is by far the best company in the Fitness Industry to work for. I myself have worked with every major player in the industry, and have been profoundly impressed with the ethic and employment of Chuze. They strive to give their members the greatest experience possible and that starts by taking care of their employees. The well being of the employees is paramount, and we are continually shown that through praise, rewards, trips, pay, and paid Team outings. Chuze loves to grow from within and focuses on building Team players that can stay with the company for the long haul. The culture here is honest, fun, outgoing, and energetic!!!! I would highly recommend checking Chuze out for your career path!!!
Pros
Paid Team building, great relations, travel at all levels, flexibility, growth.
Cons
n/a
Great Company who truly cares
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAAugust 22, 2018
This company definitely makes their way to help make sure your taken care of. They stand by what they're about and always help what is going to help you grow as an employee and a person. All the way up to the owners you'll find genuine relationships that will last forever. The atmosphere while you work is pleasant and desirable. Each person you work with is there because of the extensive hiring process they go through. This is one of the best jobs and companies I've ever worked for. Fully thankful to have been given the opportunity to work with them.
Pros
promotes within, positive atmosphere, management that cares about their employees
Cons
n/a
Positive, motivating manager
Yoga Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAAugust 19, 2018
Positive company and manager. Very flexible schedule. People are friendly and happy. Pay is better than I was expecting given my lack of experience. The hardest part of the job is adhering to the window of margin for clocking in and out.
Pros
Great company culture
Cons
Gym yoga obv can't have the same peaceful environment as studio yoga
Chuze is Cool
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, COAugust 16, 2018
Chuze was a fun place to work and you can learn a lot from the company and culture. At first I really enjoyed it, but there are few managers that actually care. They promote people who know what to say and to what people, instead of promoting hard work. You cannot be promoted unless you're full time, which isn't fair to part time employees or others who are sometimes part time or full time. The owners aren't the kindest either, they stop by randomly and ignore some employees. They'll also say that you won't advance without taking their classes, which isn't shared in the beginning. The locations are short staffed pretty much always which makes moving up in the company even more difficult. Like I said, cool culture, but the management broke the system.
Pros
Free Gym Membership
Cons
Management, Low Pay, Advancement Opportunities
The people you work with are great, the people you work under, are not.
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COJuly 22, 2018
The job is fairly intense, its a ton of fun. As your team is generally very friendly and interesting. The way managment works, and the rules in place are so strict and unbending, it kills creativity and fun. They hire fun people but then discourage you from interacting with them. Its one thing to love your customers, but they forget that it is coming at the cost of employee happiness.
Great place for entry level positions and you're surrounded by happy people.
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Cypress, CAJuly 18, 2018
It is a very fast-paced environment. There is very little downtime, so your day goes by very quickly. I think the hardest part of working here is juggling all the different roles you play as one person. If you're not doing customer service related tasks ( helping members, emailing, answering phones) you are cleaning the facility (dusting, sanitizing, vacuuming, mopping). Everyone who works here is welcoming and friendly for the most part.
Pros
Friendly, welcoming, fast paced, flexible schedule
Cons
High expectations, compensation is not enough for what they require you to do.
Blah
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 25, 2018
High turnover. It's basically all about sales. They are very clean. They will underbid your salary despite having a college degree. The people there are nice.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chuze Fitness. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

2.3Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight