Chuze Fitness Management reviews

Not A Place For Normal People
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 7, 2019
This place has way to much drama to it. Too many people whining and complaining about their job. There is a lot more than what meets the eye when first hired on, so do not get sucked into the drama. This is also a gym, and there is a lot of flirting and weirdness that occurs. If you're into a Jersey Shore type of life style, then this is the job for you. If you're a regular person who actually wants a nice casual job for part time or whatever, go elsewhere. Every single shift has new drama and a lot of people talking badly about one another. Including management.
Pros
The work is easy
Cons
Cleaning is pointless here, management is young and has zero clue what is going on, and they do not care about your schedule
Seems amazing, but that's a lie
Team Member/ Team Member Trainer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 21, 2019
When you start working here everything seems amazing and hopeful and positive. Then after a while you start to see all the games and the favoritism and it becomes a very hostile work environment. Management does not know what they're doing. The turnover rate is ridiculous. At first they make you feel appreciated and then they turn around an act shiesty. It's a very confusing place to be. when you are not welcome anymore they will do anything in their power to try and get you fired even when they don't have grounds to do so. I probably could have sued them if I would have proceeded with that, but I decided against that due to my own personal health and I didn't want it to be some long drawn out battle. This place is great for students who have all the free time in the world. Definitely not a place for working mothers or fathers. It's a place full of hypocrites as well. I recommend this job only as an entry-level job just have something on a resume for something better down the road. There is so much drama drama drama. Beware.
Pros
Free gum membership
Cons
Everything else
Love the members, don't love the manager
Team Member (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 24, 2019
I really loved the job itself; I never minded the cleaning and I thouroughly enjoyed the people who would come in to work out. What I didn't love was my management, leaving the job months ago was a great decision based on the fact that I never felt as though I could really move up within the company. Not only that, but I always felt highly underappreciated for the work that I did, that we all did. Management was not communicative and did not help individuals reach their full potential. Sad actually.
Pros
free membership
Cons
most everything else
Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 15, 2019
Every location is going to be different! Some are a franchise and some aren’t. The one star review below mine is completely opposite to what I experience at work. I have the best managers who always ask me how I’m doing. Everyone on the team does their part and gets along good. It’s such a fun and happy work environment that you don’t ever leave work stressed. You can move up in the company extremely fast as it is growing rapidly. They really do care about you and your well being. Of course every job has some difficult aspects to it, but it wouldn’t be ‘work’ if it didn’t. I never fear of getting yelled at or looked down upon, everyone treats you as their equal including the GMs and District Managers. But like I said, every location will be different so I suggest asking your hiring manager questions as well!
Pros
Free Gym Membership, positive work environment
Cons
The pay could be better
Horrible place to work. Don’t waste your time
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COFebruary 14, 2019
meeting new people and seeing the same guests was great!! But everything else was horrible. You’re doing way more work then you’re getting paid to do. They say they’re all about friendliness and family. Yet my managers were extremely rude to me all the time. If I needed something ordered, he wouldn’t do it unless someone else told him. Every time I went to say hi, he would just walk away. And I always got yelled at if I needed to use the restroom. How dare I use the bathroom on company time, right? The managers are just rude and unprofessional. And if you have an issue with one of them, you have to keep it to yourself. HR won’t do anything except tell them and make the issue worse. The staff is okay. But they are rude if you work kidsclub and don’t want to help them with THEIR responsibility’s when your shift is over. But expecting them to come help with your responsibilities is like asking them for a kidney. And when you want to move up in the company, you better be one of their favorite employees. Or forget it. You’re stuck where you are. You don’t get a real break. They will interrupt you and have you go clean something on your break. They say they will help you. But they won’t. I think Chuze is one of the worst company’s I have ever worked for.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Everything about working there
Good SHORT TERM Job, Possibly better in larger districts.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 20, 2019
This job is good in the short term, but there are many sketchy things that happen as you try to advance. Some of the things in this district that were major red flags:

Many of the managers are married, all the way up through the company. If you feel uncomfortable or have issues with management, who do you approach? HR does not help anyone but management, and will just redirect any issues back to management. That effectively makes it a highly volatile environment for getting advice/voicing complaints.

I saw sexual misconduct complaints buried.

They constantly will try to sell you on the job to qualm discontent. Mandatory meetings and team outings where they will try to sell you on their "family friendly culture" and try to gaslight any issues within that location back onto the employees (there are one of two patterns that follows all locations... this message being repeated to existing employees once employees begin to settle into a location, or high turnover. Once again, none of the employees will feel comfortable approaching HR. It took me getting a job with actual positive company culture to realize how this is NOT normal at other jobs).

They will promise you a certain schedule as a full-time employee and can't deliver. I had to drop over $1000 worth of classes during my employment because their turnover meant they couldn't schedule what they promised me.

Unreliable management. If it's not outright bad/sketchy management, it's unreliable. I have known of several employees from all different locations where management attempted to write them up after incorrectly
  more... scheduling them during their school schedule. Once again, their turnover negatively impacts their employees and if you stay there long term it affects your work/life balance. They also were totally unorganized, and would leave out pending writeup drafts on their computers as those employees clocked in. The rest of the shift I would have to supervise bummed out employees with a massive feeling of dread, that would hang over their head during their shifts. No feelings of job security for them.

To expand on the above, I've seen employees written up for being sick with doctor notes because they didn't have AZ sick time.

Compensation was not good. They will rave about promotions and company culture, but be aware they have high turnover and need to combat that by selling you more responsibilities/harder work ethic. They more than once tried to talk me into putting school on hold so they could transfer me to one of the new districts. Keep in mind many jobs in the area will not require you to work as hard and offer needed benefits like 401k (chuze does not? why? ), and MUCH better health insurance and job advancement. Learn what you can learn in the meantime, but this company, despite what they say, do not follow old-fashioned company values. There is NOT company loyalty and if you feel underpaid (as most supervisors/veteran employees do, as they expect you to tackle on more responsibilities with minimal promotions) after 1.5 years, seriously consider relocating your skills to a company that will pay you for them.

Many of these positive reviews are also operations (management, home office, high positions in the company that don't have to deal with these issues) which I can see clearly from the employment duration

That said, these only become issues after you get settled. Before you're settled, you're still unskilled and can get away with avoiding these things, but eventually, they really erode all sense of a work-life balance and the issues become very apparent.
Pros
vision, dental
Cons
numerous, but only apparent after the first year
Warning to Kids Club applicants
Kids Club Attendant (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, CODecember 17, 2018
If you are applying for Kids Club, be prepared to not work back there all the time. I had to leave because they would barely schedule me in Kids Club but rather up front, and when I talked to them about it they said that they were actually full on Kids Club members - even though thats what I applied for! The whole issue was very shady and aggravating honestly.

That being said, the employees and managers are very nice, but don't expect any training.
Pros
Good coworkers, ok hours and ok pay
Cons
No training, got put in a position I didn't apply for.
Great Company who truly cares
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAAugust 22, 2018
This company definitely makes their way to help make sure your taken care of. They stand by what they're about and always help what is going to help you grow as an employee and a person. All the way up to the owners you'll find genuine relationships that will last forever. The atmosphere while you work is pleasant and desirable. Each person you work with is there because of the extensive hiring process they go through. This is one of the best jobs and companies I've ever worked for. Fully thankful to have been given the opportunity to work with them.
Pros
promotes within, positive atmosphere, management that cares about their employees
Cons
n/a
Good atmosphere with a lack of advancement
Team Member (Former Employee) –  CAOctober 18, 2017
Good for a part time filler before beginning a real career, but not worth sticking around for too long. The inner circle is hard to get in, and the management tends to lead on with promises of upward movement without results. Hours are sparse for front desk workers, which is okay, because the job is so physically and mentally demanding during the week that 40+ would scar someone. I've never worked more than 37 hours in a week in the time I had been employed. Overtime is out of the question, even in higher positions. 7:30 shift maximum.

The team environment is usually very close-knit and the culture is reciprocated from the members, but it's hard to keep cool in an understaffed situation, which occurs frequently because of high turnover. Hours and staff, in general, have been cut more and more over time, while the demand for cleanliness and member attention has remained the same 100%. Bigger decisions, and allotted hours are done through upper district managers and company owners, so front desk employees are overlooked and neglected, even after years of employment. Advancement is almost unheard of after a supervisor level, and most leave for another job.

Even those in management positions are overworked at a whopping 60+ Hours a week on a weekly salary, overseeing everything from extreme member issues, training, staffing, facility maintenance, and communications. Work demand is high for these positions and seemingly not delegated out properly to other front desk personell.

The staff environment is very friendly, and most of the managers try to keep everyone else's motivation
  more... as high as possible. Staff at most locations is tight-knit and celebrates on a monthly basis to boost team morale.

Cleaning is 70% of the job. Mostly done as a preventative measure, a weekly cleaning list is repeated to ensure a spotless environment for members. This can be unfortunately overlooked by some staff as a means of neglect from laziness or even just because of an overly-busy front desk. When on the clock, you're expected to be constantly busy with a task, either helping with a member issue or cleaning out on the floor.

Overall, it had been a good learning experience and a solid job to pay the bills, but it's unfortunate to see less and less opportunity with this still young company. So many employees are willing to put in the time and effort, but it is unseen by those make the decision to move them up. Chuze is in the awkward teenage years of becoming a company, trying to figure out who its freinds are, and learning what it wants to become. It would be awesome to see it do well soon.
Pros
Positive staff environment, easy time off, dental, medical, 30% employee discount
Cons
No advancement, exhaustive work, interrupted breaks, fluctuating policies, constant standing/movement, high turnover, understaffing issues
Great College Job
SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Cypress, CAOctober 2, 2017
The culture of the company is great. They provide a clean and non-intimidating gym with a positive atmosphere for all members and employees. Only drawback is advancement is difficult due to number of clubs currently open. Upper management keeps employees motivated and job perks are great. Would love to move up if worthwhile but I am pursuing a different career path.
Pros
free premium membership, good healthcare coverage for full-time employees, great work environment
Team member, decent part time job
Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CASeptember 23, 2017
Team member job tasks are to clean facility based on daily cleaning tasks, greet and interact with members and guests, and membership sign ups. Not commission based so expect little compensation. Lack of opportunity and growth due to improper upper managerial behavior. HR department should really resolve skeptical behavior among upper management, management and staff. Improper promotions. Basic equipment ($10, $20 memberships with a yearly fee of 39.99). Fun team members make job enjoyable but advice would be to only work here part time for a free membership and meet new people.
Pros
Fun staff, free membership
Cons
Monetary compensation, minimal breaks, questionable behavior of management
Fun pace to work but a bit too much
Operations Staff (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CASeptember 15, 2017
Chuze was great to work great people and management but the compensation wasn't fair. As an employee you were required to clean, do sign ups, cancel memberships, perform maintenance and provide great customer service but were still only paid what our counterparts at other gyms were paid despite them only doing one aspect of the job. Other than that it was a great place with a great atmosphere and culture.
Fun workplace
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Rialto, CAMarch 25, 2017
Great first job. Management works well with staff to give you days off for school, events, etc... Overall, fantastic place to work. From staff, to management, to the members themselves.
Horrible managment
Front Desk Representative (Former Employee) –  Westminster, CAJanuary 25, 2017
The general manager is a micro manager and doesn't have the best interest for their employees. The place is full of drama at this location.The culture for customer service is great, but the general manager here rather have you be fake and do it your their way. At first seems like a very cool place to work but that wears off very fast.
Pros
Company culture
Cons
This location, micro manage
Beyond the worst company you can work for
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CADecember 10, 2016
I really regret working for Chuze, as they do not ACTUALLY live up to their company's "high" standards. I've been a member there for years, and to become a part of their team was really disappointing (at least at the Garden Grove location). The management picks favorites and everyone talks behind each other's backs. There is absolutely no room for potential growth or a possibility of earning a higher position, unless you kissed your way up to the top. I've met the actual owners of this company and they were warm and decent to talk to, but they need to take a look at their management again. When I worked there, my coworkers were so unprofessional that the manager and assistant manager were "just friends" but ended up having a baby together accidentally. The whole company started gossiping and it turned into a high school feed. It was pathetic, needless to say. Regardless of what position you sign up for, they make you do everything from selling memberships to cleaning the toilet. Chuze really does try and keep their gym clean and wiped, but if you want to work for a company that respects its employees then you better look elsewhere. Aside from the ridiculous paragraph they make you memorize to restate to potential members, they also monitor your every move even when you're taking a short bathroom break. I was good at my job and really enjoyed interacting with the customers. The best part was networking and meeting new people who walk through your door, but nothing else from this company made me want to stay.
Pros
Interacting with customers, eating my 30 minute lunch
Cons
Lots of gossip from coworkers, low pay for performing a lot of tasks, occasional rude customer, egotistical and rude management, huge turnover job
Productive, fun, friendly work environment
Front Desk Team Member (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CANovember 26, 2014
Chuze Fitness is one of the most amazing locations that I am privileged to work at. I already had customer service skills, but this job improved them so much that I began to build one on one relationships with some of the members. The management team and my co-workers are like family to me. We get everything done that is needed for a successful day but have fun while doing it. We build professional and personal bonds together along with our guests. A typical day at work consists of lots of greetings and goodbyes, but most of all cleaning. From cleaning treadmills to squat machines, and even the floors, Chuze has an extremely clean facility. Along with cleaning I also sign guests up for new memberships and unfortunately have to cancel some as well. We also take payments, make corrections on incorrect documents, change billing information, and change payment information. To me there is not a real hard part in my job, because I love what I do. Unfortunately, if I have to pick one thing it would be cancelling out a member that waited to long and would have to owe for the following month. Even though we tell them when they sign up that they must cancel 10 days to the following bill date if they ever wish to do that, and they sign a document stating they understand that, when they come in they say we never told them (I guess that depends who signed them up). Regardless, it is never a good moment dealing with an unhappy member. To end on a good note the best part of my job is my family. My team members make each day so enjoyable. There is never a frowning moment here at Chuze Fitness.
Pros
Healthcare
Good position, but job security and turnover is a big issue
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CASeptember 13, 2014
Good position, some good people in management. But overall the environment is pretty tense. Always people on the block, constant turnover, sometimes for petty and outside of work issues.
Family owned and run, inner circle is impossible to get into.
no support
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  national city,caApril 2, 2014
management is very rude, would talk bad about members and also applicants for jobs. would tell personal private information to other employees. not professional at all, and when i tried to ask for help from HR they ignored me and did nothing. would not recommend working here
Pros
members
Cons
managment
Great work place and customer service
Front Desk associate (Former Employee) –  Cypress, CAJanuary 14, 2013
constantly cleaning to maintain our motto ("the cleanest gym in the world")
greeting members
answering phone calls
answering questions
giving tours of the facility
selling memberships
signing people up for the gym

management was fun and very helpful
tight knit group of coworkers