Chuze Fitness Employee Reviews

Excellent company
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Cypress, CAJanuary 9, 2018
Wonderful place to work, relaxed environment so long as expectations are being met, great leadership, room for growth! The co-workers are great and create a sense of family in the work environment. There is always team building events being scheduled to help keep everyone close, as well as contribute to communication skills between coworkers
Good atmosphere with a lack of advancement
Team Member (Former Employee) –  CAOctober 18, 2017
Good for a part time filler before beginning a real career, but not worth sticking around for too long. The inner circle is hard to get in, and the management tends to lead on with promises of upward movement without results. Hours are sparse for front desk workers, which is okay, because the job is so physically and mentally demanding during the week that 40+ would scar someone. I've never worked more than 37 hours in a week in the time I had been employed. Overtime is out of the question, even in higher positions. 7:30 shift maximum.

The team environment is usually very close-knit and the culture is reciprocated from the members, but it's hard to keep cool in an understaffed situation, which occurs frequently because of high turnover. Hours and staff, in general, have been cut more and more over time, while the demand for cleanliness and member attention has remained the same 100%. Bigger decisions, and allotted hours are done through upper district managers and company owners, so front desk employees are overlooked and neglected, even after years of employment. Advancement is almost unheard of after a supervisor level, and most leave for another job.

Even those in management positions are overworked at a whopping 60+ Hours a week on a weekly salary, overseeing everything from extreme member issues, training, staffing, facility maintenance, and communications. Work demand is high for these positions and seemingly not delegated out properly to other front desk personell.

The staff environment is very friendly, and most of the managers try to keep everyone else's motivation
  more... as high as possible. Staff at most locations is tight-knit and celebrates on a monthly basis to boost team morale.

Cleaning is 70% of the job. Mostly done as a preventative measure, a weekly cleaning list is repeated to ensure a spotless environment for members. This can be unfortunately overlooked by some staff as a means of neglect from laziness or even just because of an overly-busy front desk. When on the clock, you're expected to be constantly busy with a task, either helping with a member issue or cleaning out on the floor.

Overall, it had been a good learning experience and a solid job to pay the bills, but it's unfortunate to see less and less opportunity with this still young company. So many employees are willing to put in the time and effort, but it is unseen by those make the decision to move them up. Chuze is in the awkward teenage years of becoming a company, trying to figure out who its freinds are, and learning what it wants to become. It would be awesome to see it do well soon.
Pros
Positive staff environment, easy time off, dental, medical, 30% employee discount
Cons
No advancement, exhaustive work, interrupted breaks, fluctuating policies, constant standing/movement, high turnover, understaffing issues
positive atmosphere
Instructor Trufit and Chuze gym (Former Employee) –  Westminster, COOctober 12, 2017
As an instructor I would set up music, introduce myself to class, give helpful tips to have a positive experience in class then lead a 50-60 minute class. I learned how to speak to students in the ways that they hear. I learned how to watch my students and adlib if choreography was difficult for them. The only hard part of my job was to be energetic if ill or injured. I love everything about fitness. I know the benefits of whole health and how it helps you to carry on your every day tasks.
Great College Job
SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Cypress, CAOctober 2, 2017
The culture of the company is great. They provide a clean and non-intimidating gym with a positive atmosphere for all members and employees. Only drawback is advancement is difficult due to number of clubs currently open. Upper management keeps employees motivated and job perks are great. Would love to move up if worthwhile but I am pursuing a different career path.
Pros
free premium membership, good healthcare coverage for full-time employees, great work environment
Team member, decent part time job
Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CASeptember 23, 2017
Team member job tasks are to clean facility based on daily cleaning tasks, greet and interact with members and guests, and membership sign ups. Not commission based so expect little compensation. Lack of opportunity and growth due to improper upper managerial behavior. HR department should really resolve skeptical behavior among upper management, management and staff. Improper promotions. Basic equipment ($10, $20 memberships with a yearly fee of 39.99). Fun team members make job enjoyable but advice would be to only work here part time for a free membership and meet new people.
Pros
Fun staff, free membership
Cons
Monetary compensation, minimal breaks, questionable behavior of management
Fun pace to work but a bit too much
Operations Staff (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CASeptember 15, 2017
Chuze was great to work great people and management but the compensation wasn't fair. As an employee you were required to clean, do sign ups, cancel memberships, perform maintenance and provide great customer service but were still only paid what our counterparts at other gyms were paid despite them only doing one aspect of the job. Other than that it was a great place with a great atmosphere and culture.
Great People and members to work with
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Cypress, CAAugust 17, 2017
Day to day operations would change. Customer service based. Would include member conflicts, sign ups, tours, cleaning. 80 percent operations, and 20 percent admin.
Pros
Free membership, great people to work with
Cons
minimal breaks, never an off day. Lack of proper promotions
My favorite gym setting
Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Broomfield, COAugust 13, 2017
This has been the most enjoyable place to work! There is soways such a good vibe when you walk into a Chuze. The staff is always welcoming. I am thankful for the opportunities I have had.
Pros
Great Equipment
Feel appreciated but not compensated
Team Member (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 26, 2017
I enjoy working at Chuze fitness, although, I have often felt like a glorified janitor. I love the member relations that I have built. The company allows for advancement and genuinely wants their employees to succeed.
Pros
Complimentary gym membership, mostly awesome members, room for advancement, strong coworker relationships...
Cons
Lots of cleaning, minimum pay, the occasional frustrations with disrespectful members, all member services all dealt with on the club level (past due accounts, new members, etc).
Amazing Place to Work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CAMay 25, 2017
I absolutely loved my job. They are an amazing company to work for and treats their employees great! The pay is average but the people you work with become great life long friends!
Pros
Free Membership
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAMay 25, 2017
Very friendly and fast paced but rewarding environment place to work with many great people and learn about a thriving industry, great for someone who is perhaps a student since schedules can be very accommodating.
High Energy and Fast Pace
Supervisor and Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 10, 2017
Culture is always great. High importance on customer service. Very productive but the pay is minimal compared to the amount of work that is expected. Great for students.
Pros
High Energy
Cons
Underpaid for the amount of work
Fun workplace
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Rialto, CAMarch 25, 2017
Great first job. Management works well with staff to give you days off for school, events, etc... Overall, fantastic place to work. From staff, to management, to the members themselves.
Fun place to work
Team Member (Former Employee) –  National City, CAFebruary 7, 2017
Between going to school and my son, the hours were so flexible and the manager so positive it was almost always possible to get exactly what I wanted.

If you're opening the gym the day starts early but ends early, if you're closing it the situation flips.

Very simple job, but not really easy. Customer service with being a janitor, so it's not exactly a complicated day but a bad one can be unpleasant.

Pretty big on mentorship, the supervisors were all about teaching me new things.
Horrible managment
Front Desk Representative (Former Employee) –  Westminster, CAJanuary 25, 2017
The general manager is a micro manager and doesn't have the best interest for their employees. The place is full of drama at this location.The culture for customer service is great, but the general manager here rather have you be fake and do it your their way. At first seems like a very cool place to work but that wears off very fast.
Pros
Company culture
Cons
This location, micro manage
Beyond the worst company you can work for
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CADecember 10, 2016
I really regret working for Chuze, as they do not ACTUALLY live up to their company's "high" standards. I've been a member there for years, and to become a part of their team was really disappointing (at least at the Garden Grove location). The management picks favorites and everyone talks behind each other's backs. There is absolutely no room for potential growth or a possibility of earning a higher position, unless you kissed your way up to the top. I've met the actual owners of this company and they were warm and decent to talk to, but they need to take a look at their management again. When I worked there, my coworkers were so unprofessional that the manager and assistant manager were "just friends" but ended up having a baby together accidentally. The whole company started gossiping and it turned into a high school feed. It was pathetic, needless to say. Regardless of what position you sign up for, they make you do everything from selling memberships to cleaning the toilet. Chuze really does try and keep their gym clean and wiped, but if you want to work for a company that respects its employees then you better look elsewhere. Aside from the ridiculous paragraph they make you memorize to restate to potential members, they also monitor your every move even when you're taking a short bathroom break. I was good at my job and really enjoyed interacting with the customers. The best part was networking and meeting new people who walk through your door, but nothing else from this company made me want to stay.
Pros
Interacting with customers, eating my 30 minute lunch
Cons
Lots of gossip from coworkers, low pay for performing a lot of tasks, occasional rude customer, egotistical and rude management, huge turnover job
Chuze is a great place to work
Certified Cycling and Group Exercise Instructor (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAOctober 1, 2016
Chuze is a great place to work, with a great environment and employees that go above and beyond to take care of the members, and staff as well. The equipment is new and top notch.
Pros
Great environment
Productivity and clean environment
Team Member (Current Employee) –  National City, CASeptember 29, 2016
I learned how to do billing and front desk operations. Co workers are really friendly and the most enjoyable part of this job is the satisfied customers with a clean workout environment and happy employees.
Super Fun
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cypress, CA 90630September 1, 2016
This is a great place to work if you're looking for a great atmosphere with great team mates and awesome customers. If you don't have too much happening outside of Chuze, this is a great place to be to work.
Friendly Environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 13, 2016
It wasnt about what you knew but who you knew and that did not give much room for growth within the company. Overall I had a good experience working there

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chuze Fitness. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

2.3Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight