Ciena Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Excellent
Customer Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 13, 2018
But, it is telecom. Feast or famine. You do feel supported and overall positive. However, it is a globalized environment and as such one day you might receive a bonus with a salary increase then the next day your job could be easily eliminated because upper management decides to offshore due to the needs of the business. Suddenly out of a job.
Pros
Great compensation and support
Cons
cut throat telecom industry
Productive team oriented workplace
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Suwanee, GAFebruary 7, 2018
Like the people who work for Ciena. Difficult to move from a contract position to a full time position due to varying work loads. Customer business work load is in constant state of change.
Customer Service Manager ( VzW account) (Former Employee) –  Home based officeJanuary 26, 2018
 Coordinating all parties in resolving issues and escalations, effectively identifying issue severity and involving appropriate resources at all levels within Ciena and Verizon’s organizations, in order to achieve resolution to both satisfaction
 Manage customer relationships at the appropriate operational/procurement level to ensure customer’s and Ciena objectives are met .
 Lead the completion of multiple assignments by coordination the activities of Ciena and Verizon including identifying, recording and tracking actions, holding conference calls and meetings to drive resolution
Pros
All good
Cons
Don't know
Great company to work for
Advisor, Product Management, Packet Access (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDJanuary 10, 2018
I have worked for Ciena for more than 15 years, great people and working environment overall. World leader in packet and optical space it plays in telecommunication industrial.
Pros
people, culture
Cons
HQ is condensing to corp function with limited job opportunities in technical area
Installations
Optical Network Tester Level (Current Employee) –  NationwideJanuary 8, 2018
I have worked for the same Manager for 10 years, he has been a personal friend for over 17 years. He is fair to all and insures we have what we need to complete our tasks.
Pros
People
Cons
Lay off employees regularly, will state your job is being eliminated and then put someone in your role
Senior Director (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 2, 2018
Lots of talk about employee development, but very little time expended in actual development, which results in very few employees undergoing training. Career movement above Director level is very limited, with a strong preference to hire from outside.

Great people in general and a good place to work as long as you are not interested in career advancement. Board level management is very focused and good at communicating the company strategy.
Poor company
Software Engineer/Lab Manager (Current Employee) –  Valley, WADecember 9, 2017
Employees are treated like a number and are disposable, they prefer to hire people on H1 visas and then keep them over the people that have been employed their for years
Pros
Time off
Cons
Cut-throat and constant lay offs
Senior Service Planner (Project Coordinator) (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCNovember 21, 2017
I enjoyed my time at Ciena. The managers that I worked for were great to work for, and the best perk was being able to work from home. I didn't have a boss breathing down my neck as I was a self-starter and motivator so it felt like I was pretty much my own boss. The benefits were great!
Pros
benefits, being able to work from home, pay
Cons
not much room for advancement unless you were upper management
Billion Dollar Company
RMA/Receiver/Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDNovember 7, 2017
My day started with receiving all material and getting them uploaded and in the system. I did learn how to multitask by using different type of computer software and performing daily duties.
Pros
Great Lerning Experiance
Cons
Poor Management
High Tech Fast Paced Company
Global Logistics Manager, Supply Chain (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDNovember 6, 2017
From the very first day on the job I was made to feel a part of a team with a clear concise and achievable goal every year. Management team empowered employees which led to continued success. In my tenure at Ciena I was able to further enhance my Supply Chain knowledge and broaden my skillset in other areas of transportation management. The company culture afforded individuals with opportunities to work from home when prudent. I thoroughly enjoyed working with the Global Logistics team members and transportation partners in providing the most efficient and cost effective the Global Supply Chain,
Pros
Flexible work hours and supportive of remote office workers
Cons
Outsourcing of manufacturing products to non US entities.

Want to know more about Ciena?

Ask a question
To be reviewed
National Channel Account Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 30, 2017
I choose not to comment at this time as this is inappropriate to ask. Thank you for your continued support. This question is not acceptable for me to respond to.
Progressive Work Place
Long Haul Transport Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAOctober 11, 2017
It's a very great place to work. You will always me a head of the learning curb. Very challenging work place far as learning. I would recommend this job to anyone that likes to travel.
Pros
Grreat Work Place
Cons
Away From Home
Great place to work!
IT Applications & Architecture Program Management (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDSeptember 25, 2017
Awesome leaders/management. The workplace culture is amazing and they provide flexible work/life balance. Highly recommend to anyone in the IT industry.
Speechless
RN Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Whitmore Lake, MIJuly 29, 2017
I would not recommend this facility to anyone looking for employment. All departments lack staff and support from management. Management needs to clean house because the old miserable staff brings new employees down. Very discouraging
Pros
Cons
under appreciated
High tech company
Senior Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cupertino, CAJuly 27, 2017
As an engineer, you will enjoy working on their great products. Location was nice in San jose, CA. Coworkers were smart and cooperated to achieve goals.
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Linthicum, MDJuly 26, 2017
I loved working for Ciena, the people and management were great.
Because it is an international company the opportunity to travel was great, particularly in my role because some of my clients were in the London, Georgia and Mexico office. Ciena is a very collaborative organization and they value you as an employee.

I would work there any day!
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
All great
good working environment, nice management
Senior Embedded Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  CanadaJuly 24, 2017
Flexible hours, good benefits, good working environment. need to work overtime occasionally. have opportunity to use my skills and my experiences. overall it is a good company.
Relaxed work environment. Maybe a little too relaxed.
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJune 16, 2017
A lot of the work completed at Ciena was fun and challenging. However, there was not a lot of driving force behind getting projects completed in a strictly timely manner.
Good company, needs competent management
BI Applications Lead - Global (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDJune 2, 2017
Good company, needs competent management. The company is going through changes and there is sending jobs offshore causing sense of insecurity to general employees. Could use outside competent management
not a good place to work
Physical therapist (Former Employee) –  Monroe, MIJanuary 9, 2017
the company had a policy of profit, and your annual review was directly related to your profit pour the company.Otherwise you had full freedom to your choice of treatment etc..