Cigna Employee Reviews

Found 3,243 reviews matching the search See all 3,397 reviews
Seek a different employer.
Credentialing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hooksett, NHJanuary 11, 2019
The company has poor management, pays women less than men, and the benefits are expensive. The company forces high turnover by outsourcing work to India while demanding more of it's shrinking US workforce. Last year two teams were let go/laid off because they discovered and reported unequal pay for women to the EEOC. Cigna was also part of pushing the ACA to force higher profits at taxpayer expense.
Pros
Set schedule
Cons
High turnover, low pay for women, poor managment, expensive benifits
Good pay for horrible enviroment
Customer Service advocate (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 3, 2019
From the time of interview to the whole 3 months of training my class was told a a lot of lies that range from schedules, working from home, bonuses, pto,etc. The pay is good but at times feel like it should be more for what you deal with on daily basis. Just like any job there are good and bad managers. Top members of management do not really care that employees have lives outside of cigna. The amount of paid time off you get is great but is very hot or miss with days you can take off.
Pros
Pay rate
Cons
short breaks, upper managerment
Working for Cigna
Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 19, 2019
Training- needs to be better, more one on one training.

I was in Authorization i did OK! but you would have to open up several different windows in order to do you job.

Management was ok! but it could have been better.

The people I work with where not very friendly, they had there groups

The hardest parts was telling the member (NO) because there insurance would not cover the surgery..

I did like that they have an cafeteria inside the work place, you did not have to go out for lunch.
Pros
I did have a chance to work for Cigna
Cons
I wish it was a better experience.
Great people, but no reoom for advancement
TRO Coach (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 17, 2018
The people here are phenomenal and would make you consider about give the company some time to actually develop with them. The company itself is still unorganized as we are obtaining more business through mergers and acquisition. It gets to the point were it is stressful, because the managers expect you to complete a goal that is unreachable for one single person. You can be this company for 5 plus years and can inform you supervisor to help you advance. All you will get is a shut down and a disappointment, because you still making the same salary as all prices are rising.
Great company, tough climate for advancement
CLAIMS MANAGER (Current Employee) –  ArizonaDecember 12, 2018
Cigna is a great company to work for, overall. The people are friendly, the environment is positive, and the benefits are at least reasonable. Unfortunately, the opportunities for advancement are pretty slim, particularly in the disability department. The company values work life balance greatly, and many positions offer the option to work from home after a set period of time. The perks of that make it all worthwhile.
It has the potential to be a great place to work but management and corporate need better communication and follow through.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 2, 2018
you come in and you're expected to be on the phone all day with two 15 minute breaks, one thirty minute lunch and very limited bathroom usage so that you can make 40 calls a day.

Health insurance

management was awful and so was HR.

Coworkers were wonderful but undervalued, stressed, unappreciated and mistreated.

Expectations, metrics, job tasks and adherence change from day to day and you are expected to keep up.

My fellow coworkers and my members.
Pros
medical benefits start first day of work
Cons
probation period 90 days cannot request off to use medical benefits.
good
Informatica and BDM Architect and Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 28, 2018
Cigna ODS make HealthCare work by improving the health care experience for members and the communities by providing access to high quality health care, options for financing health care costs, and information and services to help our members make the best decisions about managing their health. The data loads from PNO source systems to ODS is the first phase of Cigna effort of integrating all their source data into a central Information Data Store(IDS).As part of this initiative, an ETL Architecture was developed for migrating data from the sources into the IDS.
Cons
Underwriter Senior Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bloomfield, CTDecember 10, 2018
I have enjoyed my time at Cigna. They allow for a good work/life balance. They have a good culture and everyone is working towards the same goal. Management can be inconsistent at times but depends on what department you are in. Job security is high and rarely see high turnover rates. Overall a good company to work for
Pros
work life balance
Cons
long commute, annual salary increases tend to be low, and can be stressful
Great company until open enrollment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 9, 2019
Great company to work for, good benefits. Gets crazy around open enrollment time and some managers / directors are stingy with money. I found out when I left that I was paid barely more than half of what other people in the same role made all because my boss was cheap. Advancement opportunities abound and you can be cross trained for other work.
Pros
People you work with are great
Cons
Open enrollment time is brutal
HEALTH PROMOTION (Former Employee) –  Bloomfield, CTNovember 19, 2018
I worked at Cigna for 10 years. The direction of the company, the people I worked with, and the benefits were great. There were many perks being aligned to the area of outside sales. However, in my direct specialized area there was not room to move up or around and when I tried to move outside of my role, I was never able to.
Pros
working with sales- company amex, company car, travel, guest at events
Cons
isolated being the only one in my state who had the job i had.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Denison, TXNovember 15, 2018
Working for Cigna is mostly rewarding. If you enjoy customer service and striving to do your absolute best to assist people then this is the perfect job for you. If answering call after call does not bother you, this is the job for you. The job is a high stress environment. You do have metrics to meet and not all of the metrics are completely under your control. if you continue to strive for betterment you will go further.
Pros
good pay, pleasant work environment, sense of community
Cons
high stress, poor benefits
Cigna Insurance
Customer Service Advocate (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PANovember 14, 2018
Cigna as a whole is a great company to work for. Most of Management is supportive and helpful. The environment in office is positive and bright. Downsides are PTO (based on bidding), ability to move up significantly is harder than advertised, and the job itself is entirely too stressful going from day-to-day. Standards you're to adhere to can be overwhelming, too.
Pros
Morale, (most) management
Cons
Healthcare, Pto, advancement, stressful
High expectations and demands
Short Term Disability Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJanuary 11, 2019
As a Short Term Disability Claim Manager, it was crucial to have a very distinct work type personality. Skills in multitasking, focus, attention to detail, customer service and adaptability are essential. The job required very specific goals met while maintaing quality customer contact.
Pros
Flexible work schedule with work from home available
Cons
Very stressful
Stressful Environment
Appeals Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 10, 2018
A lot of thoughts and plans to make training sound good but not enough management, time or staff to follow through with necessary training. Leaving us to figure out processes and procedures on our own. This is okay for me as I enjoy creating procedures and manuals, however if processed wrong we have to take the consequences, though we weren't provided with correct training.
Pros
Benefits and pay
Cons
Lack of support and training
Had great potential,
Special Claim Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 7, 2018
Could have been a great position. Unfortunately, the culture at that time was one that stated, I MUST have a collage degree no matter how much previous experience I had. The company had a rule that stated ALL staff MUST have a collage degree. That rule made it impossible to advance my career with them. I am so happy that is NOT the way people look at you today when it comes to potential, and ability.
Pros
potential growth opportunities
Cons
Several! The need to have a collage degree regardless of what your level of experience is.
What can I say
n/a (Current Employee) –  illinoisNovember 7, 2018
"Clicky". Doesn't listen to us managers doing the job. Like to "fudge" things to upper management and clients. Not very understanding to those working late shifts-especially as it relates to office activities they do during the day. Stopped giving us a "gift" for employee appreciation month and instead do a luncheon, but you have to go into the office to be part of it-most everyone works from home.
Pros
work from home, Hra
Cons
work/life/health balance, feel forgotten
Worst place EVER!
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Bedford, TXOctober 31, 2018
Do yourself a favor and don't bother. I have been with the company for 4 years and am currently trying to find my way out. They DO NOT care about their employees. If you want to move around it's all about WHO you know and not WHAT you know. They have the highest expectations and the compensation does not match the workload. The training is non existent. Management is horrible, i have been in 3 depts and they are all the same.
Pros
Cons
Lots of work and no pay, Benefits are not good
Great people but high stress and constantly changing
Trainer and Technical Coach (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 10, 2019
Overall, a good place to work if you can handle the demands and stress. Great vacation policy. Annual reviews to determine if there will be a salary increase. Not always fair from one employee to the next with same experience, workload and performance, though. Equal opportunity regardless of age, race, religion or sexual orientation.
Call Center
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTJanuary 2, 2019
Plugged into a phone call center environment. Taking call after call from customer's, doctor offices, hospital's and benefit administrators regarding benefit coverage's, hospital admins, and nurse assistance requests.
Most enjoyable was helping customer with their benefit questions and following through with their needs.
Pros
Learning Experience
Cons
Phone burn out
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TN 37208November 12, 2018
Performed data entry of insurance claims and filed/pulled records of claims. Management was new and learning his job, which made it difficult to maintain a "status quo". Management laid off some people and combined their work to other compartments (which over time caused a backlog) and some people quit. This job turned out to be the hardest to maintain because of restructuring and lost of key people.
Pros
hour lunch

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cigna. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K
41.1K

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

70%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss