Cigna Employee Reviews

Microfilm Technician
Micro Film Technician (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 21, 2018
I worked doing filing. Later offered the job as a Microfilm Technician. Just pulling up paid checks for records for the company. Not much to say. At the time no advancements.
Pros
Not much, friendly people
Work from home
Operational Compliance Auditor (Current Employee) –  Work from homeJune 20, 2018
Work from home option is great. Working in a team environment, with independent result expectations is a great cohesive asset.

The hardest part of the job is not having enough avenues structured for upward growth.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Stagnated in promotions
Great company.
SR. MANAGER, INFORMATION STRATEGY SERVICES (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 20, 2018
Enjoyed working there. Great culture, great people. Company does a nice job of ensuring the employees stay motivated, current, and relevant in the modern workforce.
Good company to work for !
Manager, Business Systems (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 19, 2018
Memorable event was back in 1999 when we prepared for year 2000! There were regular meetings leading up to the conversion and everything went smoothly!
Pros
Lot of resources for employees
Cons
Lot of Management changes
Stability that Costs Employees Dearly
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 18, 2018
Cigna is a stable company as long as you are performing well and doing what is expected of you. However, the pay is not commiserate with the industry and the positions that they have there. The company is the fifth largest health insurance carrier in the United States, yet the pay does not reflect that. If I wanted to process medical claims again I could do it with a higher pay scale. I could also advance to management and possibly go to another team from what I have learned from others I know at these other companies. With Cigna you are working in several different roles at the same time, and of course, only paid for one. You have managers who are in a different state from you. Therefore, they have no real rapport with you. My last manager had no claim experience and was horrible at managing us, and was not in the state with us. The manager prior to that one, only saw us once, because that manager was two time zones away. If something big happened with the computer system we could not contact that manager right away.

The computer system would fail at least once a day at one point for about five years...I am not exaggerating. I would take screenshots every time something happened and attach them to tickets with our I.T. I would also send that to my manager. At one point I had about 30 open I.T. Tickets for various things that could not be immediately resolved. It got to the point that we just knew that the system was going to go down, and that the problem would affect everyone and that there would be times we could not work.

A lot of our work was sent overseas, only
  more... to come back to us as appealed claims that had to be reworked, because the overseas office did not seem to know how to do certain claim types.

I have not worked there now in about three years, but I do not miss the position that I had. If I were to return there, I would only do it in Marketing. I would have to be prepared to have two positions probably because I realized (while working with some of the CRGs) that people in different positions (like Management, Marketing, Sales) had more than one position at a time. I also learned that often people would have to leave the company and then come back later in order to get the position that they wanted. One of my colleagues earned a Bachelors degree and applied for a position for which the person had the degree, only to be told that the company does not “raise anyone that many levels in pay.” I just thought that was wrong. The person worked and went to school to earn the experience and the required education only to have that kind of feedback.
Pros
Autonomy, Great Online Library, Colleague Resource Groups (CRGs), Environmental committee
Cons
Low Pay, Double Job Positions worked, No Work/Life Balance, No True Advancement, Expected Lateral Moves
cigna
Provider Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 18, 2018
Great environment , management try their best but have hard time keeping or returning questions. There is no room for growth and pay is on the lesser side for the experience I have.
Pros
enviroment
Cons
no room for advancement
Great place to work!
Client Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 18, 2018
I have enjoyed my time at Cigna Healthcare and hope to spend more years with this company. My team is a great group with great direct leadership who understand the needs of our group and help navigate through issues that may arise.
Contract Senior Specialist (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 18, 2018
The Contracts department was fun to work for and was flexible with the working hours. The people in the department were fun and it was diverse. It got a little frustrating managing the accounts.
Pros
Flexible hours/freedom to work independently
Cons
not enough training on new products
Productive and active days.
PLAN AUTOMATION SENIOR ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJune 18, 2018
Cigna is a great company overall. There are so many departments that it may take a bit of time and thought to really find your niche. It can definitely be a reward place to work.
Poor work / life balance
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 17, 2018
Many are hired in for an evening shift. It is difficult, depending on the area and the boss that you have to get a shift change. There are some departments hired in for work at home positions while other departments employees have been there for years and are told that no one is allowed to work from home anymore. So, there is a lot of inconsistency. Tenure seems to get you nothing. Case managers are micromanaged.
They hire from outside the company for jobs that should be offered to employees inside first. Many are dissatisfied and the overall morale is negative.
Temporary Assignment
Sourcing Contract Analyst (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 15, 2018
Although, this was a temporary assignment, I was never made to feel as though I was part of the team nor was I provided appropriate training on internal Cigna procedures.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Paid Insurance Claims
Claims Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 14, 2018
Enjoyed processing insurance claims. However, if one didn’t meet the quantity and quality, you were out! Manager was nice. Now the company is not even in our location.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Stressful trying to keep up with the quantity and quality goals they set
In the Business of caring for all, but their employees
Pharmacy Services Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 14, 2018
Doing the data entry part of my job was enjoyable, until they forced us all to learn phones and we no longer had any room for advancement. It didn't matter that I started off as a data entry rep and had no desire to be on the phones. They didn't care that I had been a reliable worker. I didn't matter that not all people are cut out to be on the phones. Give us your best for 10 years and then when you struggle with the change, there is nothing they can do for you. I was forced to resign.
Pleasing and productive
Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 14, 2018
Was rewarding to assist the customers and resolve their issues/
Work family looks out for each other /
Left to relocate / Building was designed for coworkers to assist each other
Primary Care Nurse (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 14, 2018
Again, > 23yrs ago. No memory of managers, salary, perks.atmosphere was pleasant, helpful coworkers, close to home, free parking. lenient work hours if appointment time needed.
Clinics are closed
LPN (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 14, 2018
All the Cigna clinics I worked at have been since closed. There should be an option to skip reviews when companies are no longer operating or it's been so long you have no idea what the current culture or management are like
Awesome place to work
Claims processor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 13, 2018
Although I work from home, I live in Washington and the office is located in Texas. Cigna has been an awesome employer. I will very much miss working for them when I get laid off in the near future.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Working from home, miss the company functions.
fair place to work
Claims Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 13, 2018
I was there for 5 years in the processing the claims and the mailroom they had there busy days and there slow days. they lost clients due to low offers
Cigna
Senior Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 13, 2018
Good place to work and opportunity to work from home offered. Fast pace quality and productivity is priority with high call volume. Full benefits and Pto offered
Not a learning or growth culture
Senior Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2018
Cigna overall has a good mission (keeping people healthy) and its Executive Management inspires. That said, there is little investment made in innovation.
Work/life balance is excellent as working remotely is widely accepted.
The culture is very consensus driven and most days are taken up by meetings.
Pros
work/life balance, good people
Cons
lack of investment in innovation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cigna. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight