Cincinnati Children's Hospital Employee Reviews

Intern
Family Specialist Trainee (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 19, 2018
Working with this office showed me the politics involved with finding grant funding and when collaborating with local stakeholders who work with undeserved populations.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Selective advancement
Great Advancement Opportunity
RN (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 14, 2018
If you are interested in pediatrics, this is the place to be. Very competitive, decent pay and benefits. Continually looking to improve and provides many opportunities for employees to be involved. Hardest part of the job is losing a patient...as is with any healthcare profession.
Overall a great place to work.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 10, 2018
Overall a great place to work. CCHMC is one of the largest employers in Cincinnati and so you can feel more like a number rather than a person there. Lots & lots of departments and employees, and so getting things done sometimes can feel like a chore because of all the levels one must go through.

On the other hand, there is a person for most everything and tons of resources to enable you to do your job. And so, I don't know if you can have one without the other. Must take the bad with the good, as they say.
Pros
Many resources for employees, and lots of help. No worry of being downsized.
Cons
May seem bureaucratic at times.
CCHMC is the best the thing that ever happened to Cincinnati
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 9, 2018
Particularly great if you are in a clinical profession, as one of the best opportunities in the world; may not receive a lot of support for advancement in other roles, but depends upon department and management
busy most of the time
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 8, 2018
You have to be able to adapt and move quickly, but the coworkers are great. Some days I dont sit at all during a shift, and other days I have more free time depending on which rotation I am. There are many groups to get involved with and share your opinion.
Changing the Outcome Together at CCHMC
Research Associate II (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 7, 2018
As a research assistant my work consists mostly of processing patient samples whenever they became available, proliferating cell lines, and animal work. The experiences I have gained at Cincinnati Children's Hospital are priceless, I'm able to directly see on a daily basis how my research can help ailing children and young adults with rare diseases. The workplace ethics and culture is indescribably wonderful! You have people from all over the world working together with one common goal- changing the outcome today and every day for each and ever person that walks through our doors.
Pros
Benefits starting day one!
Okay
Project Management - Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 7, 2018
Working for Cincinnati Children’s has been an okay experience. My compensation is decently low and benefits are slowly being reduced, if not taken away entirely.
Great while it lasted.
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 2, 2018
I knew they would eventually be getting rid of my job due to budget cuts. Applied to different jobs for years and was told you're so amazing at what you do why would you want to change. Was never seriously considered. When they were done with transcription they got rid of us with no apologies and no chance to retrain. Escorted out of the building like prisoners. Haven't been considered for anything since. You're important until you're not. Then you're garbage. I guess 16 years of devotion doesn't deserve better.
Cons
They will dump you when they are done with you.
Great place to work, but it heavily depends on your job and department
Clinical Research Coordinator III (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 28, 2018
As a Cincinnati resident and parent, I love Children's. I also love the company, in general, as an employee because they do great work. HOWEVER, quite a few physicians have largely unchecked egos and feel it is appropriate to take out their stress on you without action from higher ups. It is supposed to be a collaborative environment, but in reality unless you have your MD/PhD/DO, you are little more than a glorified puppet in the research realm. The positions are vaguely defined and compensated below market average. Docs want to do research, which means they really want YOU to do the research, but refuse to give authorship, allow for your input, or provide much leeway for you to do your job. They are too busy with other things to actively participate in the research process, but conveniently find time to look over your shoulder constantly. They take all the reward for the work, but when there's an issue, it's never their responsibility.

**This is my experience in one department. I'm sure others are different, but when interviewing, strongly request you get to meet the specific team you'll be working with. I met someone, who in reality is not who I see every day.
Five Star
Supply Chain Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 26, 2018
One of the greatest places I have ever worked but once you retire from there you cannot go back. The people that work there are friendly and there for the patients. The benefits are great also.

A typical day is very busy and you learn as much as you want to learn and the management is very good and the culture is very demographic and the hardest part of the job is the sick children. The best part of it is that those sick kids always have a smile on their faces.
Pros
Helping Children
Cons
The sick Children
Great vision-mission, smart people, muddled management, back-biting culture
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 25, 2018
Great vision-mission, smart people, muddled management, back-biting culture.
Doctors rule the roost but they are not the best at managing or making decisions. There are a lot of very smart people there in non-clinical roles who could add more.
The rhetoric about vision-mission and values is very good but living out those values is not consistent.
In research, doctors are over-scheduled and over-allocated. They are needed to make decisions and move work forward but they are often unavailable to their teams.
Amazing workplace to learn and explore
Data Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 24, 2018
I have worked as a Data Analyst on a research carried on by a Professor from Bioinformatics Department. It has been a great learning experience. I was provided with adequate resources to work. Data has been quite interesting to work with and ample time was provided to cope up with the biological terms for better understanding. Also, diverse fields were explored while working on the project.
Pros
Datasets, Learning, Exploring Technologies, Work Culture, Environment
Biomedical Informatics Department Fast Paced and Challenging
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 23, 2018
I worked in the Department of Biomedical Informatics as an Undergraduate Researcher. The job was challenging but nonetheless very rewarding as it offered new opportunities daily.
Acceptable
Clinical Research Manager, Bone Marrow Transplant (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 23, 2018
Acceptable place to work, great benefits. The clinical research community is filled with great individuals. The CRC advancement program is excellent. I recommend as a place to start your career.
Not the "Children's" I had been told about and aspired to join.
FSR (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 22, 2018
As an employee: I used to think that it was so hard to get into this establishment was because they treated their employees so well no one ever left. I was very mislead.

As a patron: I couldn't be happier about the clinical aspect shown to the families.
Pros
Quite a few "back office" toxic environments
Cons
Clinical side is amazing from a patient/family member perspective.
fast pace enviroment
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 21, 2018
maintaining patient needs, Helping patients with daily activities of living.I learned to be compassionate with others sometimes easier said then done.The best part was working with the patients.
Pros
Benifits
n/a
Accounting Assistant Research Accounting (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 14, 2018
Great environment, good people, purpose, learning, but not very easy to advance to skillset, no overtime so that can be tough for people that like it,
Polished up excrement, hanging on the laurels of benefiting the community.
Clerical Support (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 10, 2018
Since current CEO became in charge, Children’s has declined significantly. There is no care for employees and no drive to be the best pediatric hospital...they are stuck celebrating being #3. Oh boy! All the leaders that made it a great place to work and innovative to get that 3rd place ranking, have left for other opportunities elsewhere. Management is often used in local college business classes as examples as what not to do! The hardest part of the job is dealing with inept people put in positions of leadership that don’t belong; they’re only there because they kiss up to their manager/doctors. Example, my manager lacks proper leadership/managerial education (all she has is a simple secretarial associates). My manager is so concerned with kissing up to doctors that he can’t even make a decision for the department, if she does make a decision he will waffle on that decision the next day. Because of this, your typical day is usually spent undoing the objectives of yesterday! with the new COO, we were supposed to be applying LEAN methodology, but in my area, we do things 3-5 times in different places, because the manager can’t trust basic technology. The workplace culture is that of no accountability, though top leadership said they were working to change that (it’s been almost 10 yrs and no change). They used to have great healthcare but that is declining in recent years. Additionally, the salary might be good but remember that you will be hit up with various requests for “donations” on a monthly basis, and you will be judged on if you give or not...usually in review  more... and everyday interactions. They actually report out to your manager on if you have given. I have no problem giving, but I do resent being made to give.
Furthermore, they are good at hiding those with adverse opinions and will most likely try to have this taken down. So the truth isn’t out there. After working here and seeing how they are, I personally will send my donations to St Jude’s hospital rather than here.
Pros
Was benefits
Cons
Mediocrity, lack of accountability, poor management, lack of training
Management stinks
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 8, 2018
If you are friends with management, you will have it made. Rules apply to whoever management wants them to. The human resource department is the same way. I had written documentation of things that had occurred and took it to HR and it just got swept under the rug. If management doesn't like you, they will watch you and have other people watch you to find things to write you up for. If you are a suck up, CCHMC is for you.
Happy and thankful for the opportunity to serve and practice my ministry.
Assistant Chaplain (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 6, 2018
Alertness is number one as an employee. The moment I get to into the premises, I must always remember that I represent the culture at CCHMC. People see my badge as a chaplain. I am part of the hospital vision and I fulfill the vision through my calling as a chaplain. I do not see chaplain as a job but a calling. I love to show compassion to people. I love people and am happy to serve them. My duty as a chaplain is fulfilled when I timely respond or show up to every request that come through our office. I hold a padger, a voalte and have an office phone while on my oncall duty. The most hardest part of the job is seeing the natural hardships of life, such like sickness and death. It is only in my faith that I am sustained and empowered to be of help in such times to others. the experiences of suffering can be hard to see each day while it is my joy to see how others are helped out each time I step out to be of service emotionally or spiritually. My Joy is found when I am faithful to my calling as a chaplain and seeing the fruits thereof. All people, one way or another are in need of love, support, respect, compassion and presence of others. I am glad to be the one chosen to be among those with such needs.