Cisco Employee Reviews

Found 3,030 reviews matching the search See all 4,400 reviews
Fast Paced with frequent organizational changes and restructuring.
Business Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 19, 2018
Over the course of my 19 years at Cisco, I experienced the company's transition from a "whatever it takes to get the job done" to a much more structured & bureaucratic culture with frequent organizational changes often coupled with many restructurings creating an anxious environment and less than stellar job security. That said, Cisco is a giant in the industry that is incredibly successful due to the large number of highly intelligent and driven professionals. Compensation and benefits are very competitive and high performers are recognized and rewarded handsomely.
Pros
many opportunities, highly professional
Cons
job security & bureaucracy
Great technology company and good place to work
Distinguished Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 3, 2018
Cisco is a leader in networking and continuously transforms itself to stay competitive. It is a big organization providing opportunities to move around within the company. Depending on the group you work in, the workplace experience may vary. Some groups have very hectic schedules and long hours. Others have a more manageable pace and better work-life harmony. Benefits are great. For directors and above, deferred compensation plan is also available. With Cisco being a tech company, there are opportunities to work on latest technologies. Cisco also provides good training.
Pros
Good Culture, great benefits, latest technologies
Great Place to work.
Oracle EBS and DW Architect (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 23, 2018
Great place to work, great professionals work there. The atmosphere and the management was great to work at. Great opportunities to expand and grow! Cisco hired me based on my background and has helped me expand that knowledge to make me more well rounded. The people in this company are top notch! I have nothing but good words for this company.
Pros
Great benefits package and advancement opportunity, they truly understand the correlation between education, knowledge, and understanding and how it propels you into those roles for advancement opportunities.
Cons
None, I am truly satisfied with the way thus company keeps you informed.
Productive fast paced environment with great culture
Customer Support Engineer Firepower TAC (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDNovember 8, 2018
Love the job and the culture at Cisco. Ability to collaborate with anyone and everyone and learn and grow in your role. There are always opportunities to grow within the company. Work-life balance is really an important part of working there.

Work is challenging and demanding but all the tools to succeed are available for you including in-house education and training as well as tuition benefits for school advancement.
Pros
Can work remote, benefits, stock options, flexible with personal leave, salary
Excellent company with great future
Systems Engineer, Team Lead (Commercial Select) (Current Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCSeptember 17, 2018
Cisco is a great company to work for. They have great benefits and a strong portfolio. It is an ever changing business though and job security is not always there. On the plus side though having Cisco on your resume makes it easy to find a new job if needed. The pay is good but not as high as other company's in the same field. They did just redo how they do compensation though and I think this will now improve. Overall management is good, of course there are a few that slip through the cracks but most of my experience has been great and I have positions in sales, support and services so I have seen managers across the board.
Good Company
Front-end Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Boxborough, MADecember 9, 2018
Big, large company with actually tolerant culture. Lots of change due to acquisitions, sometimes leads to layoffs, restructuring, and shifting priorities. They believe in giving power to their employees, perhaps too much: they provide too many HR, benefits, and I.T. tools, then too many overlapping and confusing helpdesks to help you find the right tool.

As a developer, we work with the best technology in the industry, and are less likely to attach ourselves to specific technologies. Cisco embraces the Agile mindset and has an appreciation for doing things the right way.
Pros
Flexible hours, agile, good culture, good technology
Cons
Change, do-it-yourself support
fun environment that is relaxed and a sociable atmosphere with coworkers
Customer Service & Support (Former Employee) –  Raleigh-Durham, NCAugust 25, 2018
A typical day at work consisted of getting leads in the morning to prospect and have one meeting a day with my team.

I learned to have more time managment at cisco and management was very helpful and fun to work with.

It was a beautiful and upscale workplace with the flow of young energy with a taste of experienced workers that would be willing to help you with anything.

The hardest part of my job was to land phone calls with meetings on a hopeful quota.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when i didn't have management ever breathing down my neck for anything (whether i was doing my best or not) The coworkers where always fun and helpful to any assistance.
Pros
benefits, fun atmosphere
Cons
monotonous setting, subject to be temp jobs
Very good internship experience, although quite underwhelming work
Information Technology Intern (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 8, 2018
Overall, the two summers I spent interning here were very useful (although the first more than the second). I learned how to work in a team and the process of delivering a product in IT. Everyone there is very nice although some people don't buy into the culture of the company. Cisco tries to be a cutting edge company even but its roots lie in the building blocks of modern tech companies.
Pros
Easy access gym membership, Good intern salary, Game rooms and Plenty of free food, Great location
Cons
Widespread campus, Large teams of people, Variability in team availability hours
your experience here will vary greatly depending on group/job.
Mechanical Engineer, Technical Leader (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 3, 2018
This company can be a great place to work. But so much depends on the group. Some groups did lots of fun stuff and have great perks. Whereas other groups didn't do anything fun. Your job function will also impact life here. Some jobs you need to be in the office, others, you can work from home 95% of the time. Opportunity for advancement is odd here. You won't find many, if any, Mechanical Engineers who are in management positions. But if you are in sales or marketing, the skies the limit.
Pros
good salary, good opportunities for young workers
Cons
office environment, low ceiling for mechanical engineers
Great place to learn and grow skills
Mech Engineer/Mech Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 8, 2018
Highly experienced and motivated workforce, creates an environment of learning from others and improving capabilities.

Competitive salaries and benefits

Challenging work assignments which also creates a great learning opportunity and a competitive environment

There is a good sense of empowerment

It can be challenging with a somewhat political management dynamic
Pros
Challenging work and good compensation
Cons
A little too much politics in the workplace
Varied feedback/mixed feedlings
Ops Lead/Solutions Architect (Current Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCNovember 20, 2018
Cisco can be good to you over the years, but there are pockets within the company that have problems - e.g. managed services. Politics and cabals unfortunately prevent the company from moving forward. Frank/candid talk about content is taking a back seat to favoritism and a pleasing attitude. The 'yes people' advance while those daring & astute with the bravado to speak out are summarily ignored or placated.
Pros
Great health benefits, Some talented personnel
Cons
Dangerously pleasing attitudes make you wary of those that are disingenuous
Good company if you're a blue-badge; not so good for red-badge
Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 19, 2018
Very difficult place in which to work if you're not a blue-badge employee as there is no career plan, perks. Red-badge employees are not given much in terms of context of the projects that they are supporting. The company allows employees to work remotely all the time, but this creates other problems. One boss that I worked for, I never had a face-to-face meeting with, for over a year. Everyone is constantly fearing layoffs at the end of each and every quarter.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Cafeterias on-site
Inconsistent management and culture
Consultant/Contractor (Former Employee) –  San JoseNovember 2, 2018
Depending on what department you work as a contract consultant, the culture can be upbeat and wonderful vs. just another working pool. Some have superb leadership while others have lackluster leadership. Cisco is inconsistent and for contractors, they pay VERY POORLY. Lowest rates always. They have been offering the same rate for the same job for about eight years and always claim they don't have the budget for more. Not ethical, nor competitive.
Pros
Work location flexibility, occasional good teams, modern environment
Cons
Poor compensation
Generally a good place to work but very dependent upon your leadership chain
Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CANovember 15, 2018
the leadership over the past 10 years has increasingly become afraid of making decisions. instead the mantra is to 'empower' those who work for them to make decisions on their own. while this may seem like a reasonable (positive) direction in theory, in practice it's only used to allow 'leaders' to avoid responsibility when decisions are bad and to take credit when they are good.

this is highly dependent upon your leadership team however. some are high-caliber and others merely looking to advance at all costs; including sacrificing their reports to get there

the culture is one of 'drinking from the firehose' (esp when you start) so be prepared to hit the ground running

contractors over the past 10y or so are increasingly looked at as second class citizens, often responsible for 'doing' the work while blue badges angle themselves to 'manage' the work
Pros
fast-paced, benefits, work from home, some of the best people you'll work with but depends highly on your team
Cons
true 'leadership' is increasingly non-existent, treatment of contractors
Worklife balance one of the best
Candidate Experience Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCOctober 31, 2018
Cisco has nailed the work life balance like no other company I've worked at thus far.

The diverse workforce at Cisco is amazing. An improvement in more permanent hires and less management services/contractors would be a major plus for the company. The anthropic initiatives are impressive.
Pros
culture, work life balance, benefits, growth opportunities
Cons
Quartely restructures
Large and stable company with resources to work with
SW Engineer (Current Employee) –  ColoradoJune 29, 2018
Every day I get to work with intelligent, dedicated, hard working people. Honesty and customer focus is highly valued at all levels. Internally, we're more collaborative than competitive, saving energy for customer-focused product development, we save the competition for our actual competitors. I never question the motivation of our people, teams, or organizations, and I never suspect that we'll end up in the news for the wrong reasons. We do work hard (with fair compensation), so it may not be for everyone. We are very big, so while we try to maintain an innovative and fast paced product development cycle, sometimes we do get in our own way.
Pros
Customer focus, profitable, great coworkers
Cons
If you want a 9-5 job, Cisco may not be for you
Sales: Welcome to the world of daily commit calls
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  NJJuly 30, 2018
I can only comment on working in the sales deptartment at Cisco. It's all about the numbers, and the rest is icing.

Customers complain that it is hard to do business with Cisco and Cisco turns a blind eye. It's Cisco's Way or the highway.

The people you work with are top notch. Management is generally filled with people only interested in promotion, at the expense of their reports.
Pros
Best people in the industry; easy to collaborate; better than average benefits
Cons
Its all about the numbers; commit calls can be ruthless; constant threat of layoffs.
Thoroughly enjoyed my employment at Cisco
Partner Marketing Manager - US SLED (Former Employee) –  Westford, MAOctober 30, 2018
I was an employee at Cisco for over 10 years. Throughout that time, I had many opportunities for growth - including travel, training, mentorship, etc. I also had a wonderful group of managers who were always eager to help me with my development and position me for the next promotion.
Pros
work remotely, autonomy, salary
Cons
tons of conference calls, sometimes too many making little time left in day to focus on work.
Good work place for the most part
HIGH TOUCH OPERATIONS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Remote workerJuly 5, 2018
HR team is not the greatest when there is conflicts. Being a huge corporation there is a downfall to awareness of what is going on at this company meaning internal issues that need resolve seem to go without investigating and looking for ways to fix internal practices. Lots of ignoring of issues rather than fixing.

Last note is that companies open door policy is not fully open door as stated and the way the business is to run is not followed as well.
Pros
Remote work possible, benefits, knowledge training
Cons
To much corporate politics, no care for the little guy and the hard workers. MIcromanagement style work enviroment
I enjoyed working at Cisco, the culture, people, benefits. The only problem was getting laid-off. Cisco has a great on-line learning tool, when it co
Executive Administrative Assistant, (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 24, 2018

Cisco has a great on-line learning tool, when it comes to any type of tutorials and skills in Microsoft or any type of software needed to improve in your position.

Anything you need on policies and procedures is on-line.
Pros
the people
Cons
getting laid off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cisco. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K
41.8K

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP20%
In the Top 20% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Cisco.

Powered by Comparably