Citarella Employee Reviews

Loved this company!
Packer/Stock Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 12, 2019
Working here in my own words have made me a better person today. I say that because they not only push you to be better but they provide you with the right tools to succeed and advance in the career field. They appreciate their employees and show that appreciation with a company party every year! Great managers and excellent co workers! loved everything about this company.
Pros
Company appreciation partys
Great place to learn
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Southampton, NYFebruary 3, 2019
Citarrella is a great place to meet new people and it is also located in a different and safe environment. Anything that you have to learn they will teach you step by step even if you’re not good at speaking English they will have someone translate to you. It was a great 2 years experience!!
Pros
Free breakfast
Cons
Healthcare
Terrible Upper Management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Upper West Side, NYJanuary 24, 2019
I interviewed with tons of experience and came dressed professionally. The black lady in charge of HR discriminated against me and did not offer me the position. Others who came looking scruffy, with no professionalism or skills left with a job offer. Terrible company.
Buen ambiente de trabajo
Conductor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 26, 2018
Lo mejor del trabajo es la independencia, por que es poco lo que se aprende laboralmente. La parte mas difícil es la falta de sistemas que organice y controle el trabajo de los conductores.
N/a
Packer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 19, 2018
It is not a horrible company. However, I did get injured on the job. Coworkers would not help you. The working environment feels like you are in high school.
Productive cool place
Stocker/Receiver (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 12, 2018
Citarella is a great environment great place to start off and gain experience but the pay rate im receiving for being there almost 3 years isn’t adding up to the amount of work and responsibilities I’m handed from ordering to maintain more than one department good company just the pay isn’t for me especially with my bills and family
Pros
Hour lunch great staff good management
Cons
No holiday pay, no time in half holiday if you work
It’s an ok place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  United StatesNovember 11, 2018
This job has many childish workers... some managers talk to you like they are your mother or father (kinda rude) you get 5-10 minute breaks. I learned how to work a register such as codes/number, how to make gift cards... a typical day at work would be balanced with busy and not busy...
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Short breaks
Taste of a bitter medicine.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 5, 2018
Back in June, I was really excited when I was accepted for the role as a cashier at the Village store. I hoped to work there a long time, until I was interested in something else. Just to have some money for college and for personal expenses. Something productive to do over the summer, instead of just sitting around at home.
But the experience turned out to be so bitter and it did leave that taste in my mouth, even after I left and still now.

The manager I was assigned to made me feel anxious every given moment. She insisted that I shouldn't be anxious or insecure, but always had the tendency to make a huge deal over the simplest matters. Instead of motivating me, she always teased me and at the end, I was hopeless and going there to work...I started to hate it. I couldn't stand the sight of it. I always made mistakes.I tried, I really tried, but I just wasn't adapting. At the end, it was happiness vs. money. I couldn't possibly deprive myself of happiness to work at a place that I didn't even feel content in. I always mini had panic attacks and my anxiety was through the roof.

It was my very first cashier job and the manager I trained with expected me to learn everything by day 3. Without any valid self assessment to know each and every duty perfectly before ringing up customers, I was quickly put to a cash register. I understand that it's a fast paced work environment, but it couldn't hurt to teach everything properly and train instead of putting somebody at the cash register right away. Especially if they had no prior experience. The customers were, of course, not
  more... all of them,but some were entitled and spoiled. Typical Bourgeois of Manhattan. One customer expected me know all produce codes, when he knew I was a trainee and it was my 4th day. But this wouldn't have happened, if the management was more organized with training the employees.

The part about favoritism is also somewhat true. I was assigned to work with an experienced cashier, who gave me attitude and had a huge superiority complex, instead of actually helping me. She was assigned to help with packing, but instead of assisting me, she made sure she had a badge of honor by embarrassing me in front of customers. At the end, it felt like she was being one of the managers.

I know Citarella takes pride in being a fancy seafood market and often celebrities are spotted there and rich people shop there since it's located in the Village, which the management always makes a huge deal out of, but they should honestly show more respect to their employees, as well. Employee satisfaction counts, too, but the management seems to forget that sometimes in hopes of profit.

Overall, I definitely wouldn't recommend it.
Pros
Decent hourly pay, Employees are paid weekly instead of by weekly which is a good thing
Cons
Favoritism, Poor Management, Toxicity, Inadequate training
fast paced environment
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bridgehampton, NYOctober 23, 2018
Citarella is. a good place to work if you like moving around. From star to end you always have your hands full with work or learning something new. Communication is a huge role working at this company as it requires your to communicate with team members, management and most importantly its customers.
Wrehouse work
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 10, 2018
There is always available. Opportunities for advancement are limited, but its always a change of pace. You must be willing to move around and work hard.
Horrible Managment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Greenwich, CTOctober 4, 2018
This place is horribly managed. Employees are not treated well. Employees work long hours with no discount on food they wish to eat during lunch breaks.
Managers are self-centered.
No room for mangment promotions.
Would not recommend this job to anyone.
Benefits
Excelente Trabajo
Dishwasher/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 2, 2018
Entendí que los jefes eran abusadores y tenían normas no aprobadas con recursos humanos
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
A waste of time if your a good worker.
Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  West village , MYAugust 15, 2018
I worked Full-time and Hated it! I Was a produce Associate and i wound up doing EVERYTHING from cashier to sweeping and mopping. All for minimum Wage, if they know they can Get Over on you they will.
Pros
You Get Paid Every week.
Cons
Everybody Steps on each other toes.. No Path to Advancement and no Barrier to ENTRY, they hire ANYONE.
Citarella Days
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10035August 9, 2018
Working here was pretty cool in the beginning, after being promoted to head cashier was cool. But when it came to holidays and or someone calling out you had to pick up the slack. They didn't treat all the employees equally . A whole lot of favoritism going on. But other than that I had some good coworkers.
Not good
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2018
Management favors people. Unfair scheduling. Always short staffed and you had to do double work. Managers never helped out with anything and people were fired for the wrong reasons
Pastry Cook (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJune 10, 2018
It was a good place to work at. We all worked as a team to make anything we had trouble with possible. Everyone was also very friendly with the staff and of course with the customers.
Poor work environment
Counter Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 27, 2018
1.Poor management. Managers would contradict each other and would sometimes blame associates for it.
2.inadequate training.
3. Broken and old machinery. Associates are sometimes forced to work with broken or messed up tools which makes work much more difficult, especially with long lines.
4. Time. There sometimes is not enough time to open or close your department. Some managers expect you to multitask multiple things that can overwhelm you, then complain when you are clearly overwhelmed.

Plenty of people are coming in and out of the job quickly...
Pros
Offers full-time, some plesant employees, some nice customers
Cons
Poor management, cheap company
Managers are lazy, expect the worker to do the job only
Employee (Former Employee) –  West sideMay 10, 2018
Horrible pay, no incentive to work harder, everyone's gets same raise every year. The managers are the one getting appreciated while the bottom working hard. Very old time minded company. The supervisor are just very uneducated, unprofessional, and completely worthless. Only people who writes good thing about this company are the ones who are probably forced to write it by their managers. The benefits are not that great as they make it sound. If you plan on getting job here, then at least ask for double the pay rate bcz they will make you work you work hard. Apply only for manager post bcz they are not expected to do anything, just to walk around and wait for the shift to be over.
Pros
Cons
Toxic
Run in the Opposite Direction
Team Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 19, 2018
This company stresses the fact that it is a “family environment” and I suppose that is true seeing as many people have been with the company for years. To that degree, there is opportunity for growth. However, Citarella should continue to hire internally because they haven't figured out how to skillfully train new members. There is a lot of information to internalize walking into this company, but in many ways you’re left to the wilderness and expected to adapt instinctually. The HR office is a complete headache. Citarella is a total waste of time. I’m not sure of how they’re going to open new stores in the future when the internal operations isn’t cohesive. It’s a revolving door for a reason.
Cons
Poor Training, Poor Discount
Very fast paced and can be tiresome
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 20, 2018
Working there was good in the beginning but policies are very strict in regards to cash handling. They will write you up if you are over $5.00 or under $5.00. Must stand for whole shift. only time you really sit is during lunch breaks. You are NOT allowed to have phone on you. If anyone needs to contact you it MUST be through the store phone.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Standing through whole shift

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Citarella. Our community is ready to answer.