Citizen Advocates Employee Reviews

Very poorly managed
Enhanced Mentor Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saranac Lake, NYMay 22, 2019
This program was poorly managed due to too much interference from management in my department, although others are better. Poor communication, empty promises...the company has been in "transition" for years so I was told. Low wages. Way too many heirarchy supervisors. Takes too much time to get approvals. Felt very unappreciated. Very glad to have moved on to a place that invests heavily in employee training and well being. The way my department was managed ended up hurting the clients we served.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
months to get answers to emails
Not worth the stress
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Malone, NYFebruary 18, 2019
I would not recommend working here due to the culture of neglect. The hardest part of the job is not having enough staff to properly give adequate care for clients.
supportive staff
Supervising Mental Health Clinician (Current Employee) –  Malone, NYFebruary 13, 2019
I provide mental health supervision and management to all staff. I am a trauma specialist and work with PTSD and addiction services. I do all the sex offender risk assessments in the county and treat sex offenders as well as victims of all crimes.
The most enjoyable part of my day is teaching and caring for all clients and employess
Pros
free lunches some days
Cons
few breaks
Corporate run no longer about clients
OFFICE MANAGER/NURSING ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Saranac Lake, NYNovember 14, 2018
When I first started there it was all about our clients and their well being, unfortunately now it's all about corporate money and bonuses!
Alot of employment turnover
Pros
Cons
Limited staffing
enjoyed the people
Caregiver / Bus (Former Employee) –  Malone, NY 12953August 11, 2018
you need a caring heart for this position. Not all co-workers filled that
need making it a difficult place to work, This is much like a CNA position, without the license
Sometimes fun sometimes extremely stressful
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Malone, NYAugust 2, 2018
Not enough staff but enjoy some of the people I work with. On a daily basis I and trying to cover shifts weather it's at the houses I work for or for individuals we are sick in hospital. I work on payroll to make sure everyone's time is correct. I do all the ordering for the houses such as housekeeping supplies, office supplies, supplies for the individuals we serve
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Not enough pay
Its a steady job
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Malone, NYJune 1, 2018
I worked there for 10 years need ed to make money it was a lot of Demands and not enough time and our clients didn't like the change in our classrooms
Pros
Paid time ofg
Cons
Breaks short
Toxic work environment
Former employee (Former Employee) –  NYMay 19, 2018
Poor work environment. The staff talk badly behind each other's back. The worst of it is in the Admin building. . .
Pros
None other than working with the clients.
Some issues with the management style of Citizen Advocates.
Employment Coach (Former Employee) –  Saranac Lake, NYJanuary 28, 2018
Not a fairly progressive organization with the way they treat clients in a rather demeaning way; calling them "honey, sweetheart", treating them like children. I would have like to see this change more quickly.
Typical day
RN (Current Employee) –  Malone, NYJanuary 25, 2018
The work culture at Citizens Advocates is stressful, the work of the RN's is not valued. Nurses are treated as if they do not know anything. The company has promoted a nurse to be a coordinator that has no experience. As a result the paper work has tripled. We now have to perform duplicate paper work. The administrators have little to no knowledge of what a RN does, but they believe that the RN has to follow their decision on patient care.
The best part of the job is the individuals that we take care of. They always are happy to have you there.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
pay and respect
Poor management, MAJOR school drama atmosphere
Transportation (Current Employee) –  Malone, NYJanuary 6, 2018
Working with clients is the pro of working here. Staff feed on negativity, back stabbing/ cut throat staffing that management does nothing to get handle on which is a shame. Being verbally assaulted every day to your co-workers is harassment and gets ignored by management
nice place to work
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Malone, NYAugust 1, 2017
citizen advocates is a nice place to work enjoy doing what i do there i just need something more convienent for myself and my family. The work place itself will teach you alot about yourself and make you grow as a employee and a person
Pros
help [people
Cons
co workers are not always willing to work as a team
This is a good place to work for
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYMay 25, 2017
I enjoy working with the people that I do. It's a great place to work if you like helping people better their own lives. This company helps individuals in many different ways and help make their life easier and better. The people we work with bring joy to us and us to them.
Pros
Great people to work with
Great agency
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Malone, NYMay 20, 2016
The agency was great to work for, showing new and exciting experiences with the clients we served. They really knew how to treat the clients well, regardless of the the physical or mental disability.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Short staffed
Very compassionate people
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Malone, NYMay 20, 2016
The agency is amazing. They really take pride and dedication in serving individuals with intellectual disabilities. I have learned so much about the care that individuals need to receive to maintain a good healthy life, and to grow as much as possible. The Co-workers are great, and really show team efforts. The hardest parts to working there is building a relationship and then saying goodbye, and working short staffed. The most enjoyable part of the job was building those relationships with the clients.
Pros
Good relationships, teamwork, benefits(full time), Pto
Cons
Short staffed
Very caring, and involved in making a difference
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Malone, NYMay 20, 2016
I really enjoyed working for this agency as they took a lot of pride and dedication in making a difference for the Intellectually disabled. I learned a lot about caring for the individuals and noticing signs of abuse, neglect, and maltreatment. My co-workers were great, caring individuals that really cared for our clients. The hardest part of the job was letting go of clients who you have built a strong bond with, and the most enjoyable part of the job was making that bond.
Pros
benefits, Pto
Cons
short staffed
Very dedicated to the care of the individuals
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Malone, NYMay 20, 2016
I would typically work weekends on the third shift. I learned more about taking care of individuals, how to properly document according to our agency's standards, learned identifiers of abuse and maltreatment, learned how to properly prepare food for the individuals on different consistencies. Management was great, schedules were worked out to meet my needs while I was attending LPN school. One of the hardest parts of the job was working with 12 clients at a time in a facility short staffed. The second hardest part of the job was building a strong relationship with the clients and they turn ill, and pass away. That I will say is the hardest. The most enjoyable part of the job is making a difference for the clients and putting a smile on their face, making their life better one day at a time. I strongly enjoyed building personal relationships with several of the clients
Pros
Paid time off, flexible, great staff
Cons
Breaks not always able to be taken, short staffed
love the clients
for employee (Former Employee) –  malone nyFebruary 18, 2016
Former employee love the clients really rewarding. To give back to those who are not as fortune as I am. Down fall if you end up working a place where most family work together your into trouble managment great interacting with the clients but to stand up to the plate when having issues when u have couple co workers not helping with the clients nothing done if they do not like you they will only keep u on back burner till they need you no benifits some co workers do nothing to help violate the programs it is a nite mare
Pros
the clients the rewarding of seeing each everyone of their smile when u go to work
Cons
lack of prper managment to many family member working in same place
Great people and friendly work place
ICF Psychiatric/Pediatric Nurse (Current Employee) –  Malone, NYOctober 1, 2015
RN working with youth ages 12-17 who have psychiatric behavioral issues. Daily task include educating youth on growth development. Also teach youth about personal care and relationships. Monitor overall health of youth. Co-workers work as a team and provide a friendly atmosphere to work.
Pros
Free lunch
Productive work environment
Secretary/Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Saranac Lake, NYApril 2, 2015
I'm part of the office team. We process customer invoices, billing, client billing, data entry on a daily basis. I also take care of the Nickels Redemption Center and the HHOTT House money daily. We have a great working atmosphere here.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Citizen Advocates. Our community is ready to answer.

Citizen Advocates Reviews by Location