Citizens-Options Unlimited Employee Reviews

Hard but Rewarding work
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Plainview, NYOctober 8, 2018
This is a job that's for a certain type of person. You have to like or love working with people with disabilities in order to remain in the field. The work done with us often goes unnoticed in the public eye and sometimes even within the work place. This is because you must be great in every moment while caring for someone else's lives. The people who do this job are every day heroes and do not get paid what they should. But this is in the field in general not specific to Citizens. They (Citizens) does a great job of remaining competitive salary wise. But in order to stay here pay cannot be your sloe determining factor. However the stills you learn on this job can be transferred to any job in the future.

This job is as fun as you make it. You are able to do almost as much as you would in your personal time(i.e go to the movies, Broadway shows, concerns, traveling, sporting events, out to dinner, the gym,etc) with the people we support and be paid for it.
Pros
Great benefits (Health, Tuition reimbursement, cell phone bill discounts etc)
Cons
It's hard work and can be labor intense.
Love My Job
Yoga Instructor (Current Employee) –  Brookville, Plainview and WantaghAugust 26, 2018
I absolutely love my job teaching yoga in the Recreation Dept. It's my favorite time of day! The clients I work with are extremely kind and dedicated to their practice. They are so appreciative of the work I do with them; I know they look forward to seeing me too! My upper management also appreciates me and the progress that we make. They give back to me what I give to them!
Citizens Options Unlimited is a fantastic company to work for.
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Plainview, NYAugust 24, 2018
Citizens is a company that empowers people with developmental and other cognitive disabilities to live the way they choose to. Citizens employees hold themselves to a very high standard of professionalism. I am proud to be a part of the organization and it's initiatives to be the best it can be.
Pros
benefits, health care, vacation time, group discounts, excellent leadership
Cons
very difficult and specialized work due to the population that is served
Ill do anything but work here any longer
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYJuly 1, 2018
Management covers for each other and covers up incidences. They dont care for their individuals, staff is not respected, parents who have $ run the place with no advocacy for those with no family. Management is atrocious all the way up the company. Tolerance of intolerable acts, expect way too much from staff. You'll get mandated to stay for the next shift and if you have another job to go to or kids to go home to they dont care, you'll still get written up. Any concerns from staff falls on deaf ears along with hypocrisy from management to staff. Theres been many injuries that they "dont know what happen" to their individual ms and things get swept under the rug. Never in my life have I been so disgusted by a company or group of workers. Slackers and hard workers are treated the same. If this was the last place in the world to work, I'd still rather be broke. JOIN ANY COMPANY but this one.
Pros
The individuals are great
Cons
Everything about this place is a con
Good place to start your career
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 6, 2018
I cannot speak too much on behalf of Citizens Unlimited since I have not worked there long enough. They do value each employee and staff was available to help when necessary
Just a horrible place to work !
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Commack, NYApril 30, 2018
Citizens is just the worst place to work. The higher ups are ungrateful and they expect so much from you. They barely care about the individuals there. All they worried about is the money and their bonuses !
Pros
No pros
Cons
Everything about it is a con
Not worth it
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYFebruary 10, 2018
This is for people who have other jobs and want some extra cash. Do not make this your sole and only job. You’ll regret it quickly. Sorry to say but they only want money and the individuals are not in their best interest. Management is often unqualified and hired from the inside. Long hours and you get mandated to stay if your relief does not show up for the next shift. RUN.
Cons
Management is horrendous
a typical day at eork
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Plainview, NYNovember 21, 2017
management is very poor, wouldn't recommend my residence for anyone to work at, other house ive worked at were great ..........................................................................
Not the best but it has its perks
Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYMay 17, 2017
Citizens is not a desirable place to work because they expect too much for too little pay and there is a lot of nepotism and cronyism going on in the hiring process. It also takes too long to advance even when you are painfully overqualified.On the other hand, you have the benefit of flexibility, depending on your position, and the benefits package is always a plus.
Pros
benefits package; flexibility
Cons
Poor morale;low compensation;

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Citizens-Options Unlimited. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about