Citizens

United States2,885 reviews

Found 2,885 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,898 reviews

Citizens insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Overall satisfaction

I love this place

Featured review

Citizens selected this as a representative review
I recently joined Citizens and I have to say that I absolutely love working here. The people are great! The support that I have received from my Regional is outstanding. I worked at two other banks before, Chase and Bank of America, and I have to say that, so far, Citizens has provided me with the best experience. Chase would come in second as far as work environment and Bank of America does not even belong in the conversation.In terms of compensation, Citizens has higher base salaries than the others but their bonuses are lower. When you look at the overall compensation , Citizens comes in second to Chase but the difference is more than made up for when you take into account how much better the job is. One of the nice things that I have noticed so far is the amount of effort upper management invests in our skill development. In this Covid environment, they have had to do this virtually, but it still nice to see them put in the time to help us grow. As someone who has been a manager for a while some of the material is review, but I imagine if I was new to the branch manager role this information would be extremely helpful.By far the biggest thing I have noticed is the willingness of my colleagues to help. Every time I have needed staffing support or if I have questions, my fellow managers have always stepped up. It really feels like a team. We all cheer for each other to succeed. I think the one thing that sums up how I feel is that everyday, when I walk into my branch and interact with my team, I am reminded that joining Citizens was the absolute best choice I -

Pros

The people, Work environment, Base salary, Benefits, Management support

Cons

Low bonuses

April 5, 2021
Thank you for your amazing review! We're so happy that you've enjoyed your time with us and that you've noticed the spirit of collaboration and support that comes with working at Citizens. We always want to provide our colleagues with the benefits, training, and managerial support you need to thrive and hopefully stay with us for a long, long time. Have a great day!

supportive higher ups, mostly. Inclusive.

A little stressful if you are in management. Hard to hit goals a a banker and a manager. 40 hour work week, usually not expected to work more. Room for advancement.

Pros

good working hours.

Cons

Too much sales pressure.

January 18, 2022
Thanks for your thoughtful review. We're constantly working to ensure we always provide a positive and inclusive work environment, so it's great to hear you've experienced that first-hand! Have a great day!

All about sales...Horrible

All about sales, they don't care about your future. Overtime, cold calling a lot. Manager only cares about meeting their goals. Do not have career advancement.

January 13, 2022
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We're sorry to hear you did not enjoy your time with us. A lot of research goes into the setting of sales goals and the majority of our colleagues achieve those goals.  If you'd like to share your concerns more, we encourage you to call Citizens’ HR Service Center at  1-866-472-8234.

Lack of opportunity for career advancement. Low pay, very short-staffed, huge amount of work, stressful, absolutely awful upper management. HR department is a nightmare to deal with. So many people already left company and they can't (don't want to) hire new people. This company is awful and I don't recommend anyone to even apply to work here.

Pros

Some nice coworkers and customers.

Cons

Low pay, stressful, short-staffed, old technology, micromanagement, no career advancement etc.

January 13, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We’re sorry to hear that your time with us hasn't been what you hoped it to be. We take all concerns seriously and would like to better understand your perspective. Please consider contacting the HR Service Center at 1-866-472-8234 to share more information about what you experienced so that we can look into and address as appropriate.

Overwhelming with work load.

No work like balance diversity sucks. Horrible place for employment advancement, if not friends with the right people you will surely stay stagnant.It’s high school, terribly sad.

January 13, 2022
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We're sorry to hear you did not enjoy your time with us, this is certainly not the type of culture that we support. We encourage you to call Citizens’ HR Service Center at  1-866-472-8234 so that we can look into your concerns.

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Great environment

5 years with the company and I love it.Great communication with peers, a sense of belonging. Community oriented. Customers become lasting friendships.

January 13, 2022
Thank you for 5 years of service with us and for sharing your positive feedback about what it's like to work at Citizens. We're so glad you feel a sense of belonging here. Keep up the great work!

Not bad

Not bad but can't be stressful with not a enough pay. Management can be better but it is what it is. The employees are good and job itself isnt bad, just not enough good systems and rules.

Pros

Good employees

Cons

Low pay and management

December 28, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We want you to like all aspects of working at Citizens. That's why we'd like to invite you to call our HR Service Center at 1-866-472-8234 to discuss your concerns in greater detail.

Awful place to work would not recommend to anybody

Management is allowed to do whatever they want which is usually nothing. They pass responsibility to everyone else so they can sit in their office all day. No matter how much you achieve they will always expect more. I was moved 4 different times and was told each time I wouldn’t be moving again. Management on all levels will lie to your face then tell a different story behind your back. Would not recommend anyone to work here.

December 28, 2021
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We're sorry to hear you did not enjoy your time with us. We encourage you to call Citizens’ HR Service Center at  1-866-472-8234 so that we can look into your concerns.

Citizens sets high goals which are difficult to attain and you are not compensated for the amount of work expected.

Citizens has a volatile upper management regime. A lot of turnover at the management levels which in turns leads to fragmented managerial support. If you don’t reach allotted goals they will terminate you. They claim they are caring about you and your personal goals when in fact, their objective is to have you produce as much as possible at a lower compensation rate.

Pros

Some good co-worker relationships.

Cons

High turnover at upper management level. Low compensation for the amount of work expected.

December 20, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We’re sorry to hear that your time with us wasn’t what you hoped it to be. We take all concerns seriously and would like to better understand your perspective. Please consider contacting the HR Service Center at 1-866-472-8234 to share more information about what you experienced.

Sales driven

Only care about sales always highlighting the negative.Morning huddle is repetitive never motivating always same thing. Manager coerce goals can’t even choose your own have to do what they say

December 13, 2021
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We're sorry to hear you are not enjoying your time with us. A lot of research goes into the setting of sales goals and the majority of our colleagues achieve those goals. If you'd like to share your concerns more, we encourage you to call Citizens’ HR Service Center at 1-866-472-8234.

Alot of insecurity

Management was big on favoritism. There’s no room for growth if you aren’t on the manager’s good side. No work life balance either. Working every saturday was mandatory. You weren’t allowed to call out. You’re expected to do everything while the manager does nothing. Had to turn down foreign customers many times because manager deemed them as not being “beneficial” customers. Very toxic work environment, especially if you're a minority. Very demeaning place. And tellers had pay differences. We were threatened to be fired if we discussed our salaries.

Pros

Cons

Discrimination, ablism and sexism was big

December 8, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. This is certainly not the type of culture that we support, and we take this type of allegation very seriously. Please consider contacting the HR Service Center at 1-866-472-8234 to share more information about what you experienced so that we can look into and address as appropriate.

Ok place to work..

Ok place to work. Did not handle Covid 19 properly. Has great benefits; however, work to life balance isn’t the best. Management would try to be encouraging.

December 8, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We’re sorry to hear that your time with us wasn’t what you hoped it to be. We take all concerns seriously and would like to better understand your perspective. Please consider contacting the HR Service Center at 1-866-472-8234 to share more information about what you experienced so that we can look into and address as appropriate.

The people

The people are wonderful but the reorgs need to stop, and they are hiring new people at higher salaries than their existing staff specifically within marketing.

November 30, 2021
Thanks for sharing your experience and being a part of our amazing team! As an organization dedicated to innovation and meeting the financial needs of our customers in the future, we're constantly reviewing and adjusting the way we work and serve our customers. If you want to share more about your concerns, we're ready to listen. Just call our HR Service Center at 1-866-472-8234.

Work life balance

Work life balance is great. But if you want to progress in your career it's all about politics and not performance. So make sure you build your network instead of worrying about doing well

Pros

Hours and compensation

Cons

No room for advancement

November 30, 2021
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We're sorry to hear you are not enjoying your time with us. We encourage you to call Citizens’ HR Service Center at  1-866-472-8234 so that we can look into your concerns.

horrible place to work an or bank with

literally no work life balance. Benefits are total trash for full time an part time. The work system is horrible. customer service an professionalism is horrible. HR doesn't help with anything the department is trash. Citizens doesn't offer enough to their employees nor their customers just a complete inconvenience. Pay is horrible. They don't offer enough positions or give you the opportunity to move up an grow career development. Their always referring customer to call cust service they never want to work/help customer with their needs. Honestly worse job ever worse bank ive ever worked at. their just a complete inconvenience for employees an customers.

November 30, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We’re sorry to hear that your time with us hasn't what you hoped it to be. We take all concerns seriously and would like to better understand your perspective. Please consider contacting the HR Service Center at 1-866-472-8234 to share more information about what you experienced so that we can look into and address as appropriate.

Quality culture but lacking compensation

Smart and upbeat colleagues that want you to succeed. The work life balance is great but that comes with a price. The compensation structure is very weak and pay raises is solely dependent on tenure.

Pros

Cons

Compensation

November 30, 2021
Thanks for taking the time to share your honest feedback! We couldn't agree more about the strength and dedication of our colleagues. That's why we continually review and make enhancements to our compensation and benefits programs to ensure we reward our colleagues for their hard work, skills, experience and service. Your feedback is so important to these efforts, so we'd like to invite you to call our HR Service Center at 1-866-472-8234 to discuss more of your concerns.

Great Place

Amazing experience. A lot of humble leaders willing and ready to see others succeed in their endeavors. If I had a second opportunity to choose, I would choose Citizens.

November 16, 2021
What an amazing review! It's so great to see that you're getting the career support you deserve and that you'd choose us again! Thanks for sharing and have a great day!

Horrible Company

Terribly organization. All political, very few intelligent employees. You’re barely even a number. Management is incompetent, technology is 20 years old. Horrible company. I left happily and found a much better organization.

Pros

None.

Cons

Everything.

November 10, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We’re sorry to hear that your time with us wasn’t what you hoped it to be. We take all concerns seriously and would like to better understand your perspective. Please consider contacting the HR Service Center at 1-866-472-8234 to share more information about what you experienced so that we can look into and address as appropriate.

Great Place to work

All around great place to work most days are busy and fly by. Great management and staff that are always helpful. Hardest part is making sure you are fast but also accurate.

Pros

Great benefits, paid holidays off

Cons

Starting wage is low

November 10, 2021
Thanks for the "great" review and for your hard work in serving our customers every day! Have an amazing day!

Good company

The goals and expectations were high most of the time. The pay was decent, good benefits, culture, and management. Room for growth and to be promoted.

Pros

Supportive managers, occasional free lunches from company

Cons

Short lunches, high goals

November 10, 2021
Thank you for sharing your feedback about what it's like to work at Citizens. We appreciate all your hard work. Thanks again and good luck in all your future career endeavors!

Terrible

I think there was a myriad of reasons why I didn't enjoy this job that are personal to me, but here's some things that everyone would hate:They're staffing model is terrible, they try to operate with the least amount of people possible and absolutely do not care how anyone feels about it. Not staff not customers. They're trying to migrate all customers to ATM/Online banking and it puts tellers and bankers in a very uncomfortable situation. Another issue with staffing is PTO. Since they operate on a skeleton crew, it's extremely hard to take time off. You get all of these days, but it's very hard/inconvenient to use them, and taking off holidays or long weekends is like playing in the hunger games. All in all I DO NOT RECOMMEND.

Pros

PTO & Bank hours

Cons

Everything else

November 2, 2021

Common questions about Citizens

Answered by current and former employees at Citizens

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Citizens. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.9
InHerSight Score
2.5Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
3.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight