Citrus Community College Employee Reviews

A great school now on the descent with executive mismanagement
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Glendora, CAJanuary 21, 2018
Folks in academia rarely have real world occupation experience and so we often have to re-invent the wheel.

Unfortunately, because of executive management decisions at the President and Board level, seven deans and two vice-presidents have left in the last two years. These are outstanding individuals who worked well together and made Citrus College into one of the best two-year colleges in the nation.

Executive decisions have been short-sighted and have caused the school to lose a "brain trust" that is simply irreplaceable.
Pros
I control my curricula and have won plaudits for my work.
Cons
Extremely low compensation and the college is headed in the wrong direction.
A learning experience I will never forget
Supplemental Instruction Leader (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CANovember 16, 2017
I worked as a supplemental instructional leader for the Citrus College Department of Mathematics. I enjoyed working with an array of students of different ages from 17 to 60 years old. Helping them succeed in a life enhancing subject was one of the best.
Pros
Lunch breaks whenever I decided to eat
Cons
No free lunch
Well rounded work environment.
Instructional Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAAugust 17, 2017
Gained great Knowledge and experience as an Instructional Support Assistant helping young ladies learn about the field of technology and encouraging students to find an interest within the field.
Immaculate facility
Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Glendora, CAApril 15, 2017
Nice workers and I am applying as a student to be a paid full time employee while I am attending school. My class is a unit clerk class. I have minimal experience as a certified unit clerk and am seeking this position while I am reviewing Citurs College presently.
Pros
Class pass
Cons
Bus stops
Engagively exciting
Supplemental Instruction Leader (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAFebruary 11, 2017
Allowed for my leadership role to take flight
Assisted many students to learn fundamental mathematical concepts
Learned communication within the mathematic culture
Reflective and Insightful
Supplemental Instruction Leader (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAAugust 11, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job was gaining work leadership skills in academia. I learned how to engage students in appreciating fundamental math skills.
Pros
Supported student success
Cons
Mathematics online
Fun work place, always something to do.
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Glendora, CAMarch 23, 2016
This job has taught me so much about being a team player. I hold a supervisor role at this job entitled "team leader" and everyone that I work with, I always make sure to put them first, for breaks, or anything they need, before myself. Nothing is personally hard about this job. I have a strong team and I couldn;t be more happy to be there leader by example.
Entertaining
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAAugust 19, 2015
This work environment was fun. I never knew what the customers/students wanted and would have to talk to them to find out because sometimes they didn't even know.

I liked working with all the employees although it was only a temporary position.
Great workplace environment
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAJune 15, 2015
Opened the pool and greeted the instructor. Helped the instructor in any way possible and then assisted in putting way pool equipment in designated shed. Management ensured that all staff and students were safe and promptly answered any questions or situations. Co-workers were very supportive and friendly. The hardest part of the job was ensuring all pool noodles were out of the drains. The most enjoyable part of the job was monitoring the students.
Pros
Very friendly students and co-workers
Cons
Long shifts
Ideal Student Worker Experience
Campus Center Host (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAJune 12, 2015
This is a create campus and community and working in the Campus Center affords students an opportunity to build student life and community while, also giving you time to study during the evening shift.
fun and outgoing
Office support (Current Employee) –  TexasJune 9, 2015
I did medical billing and l met different people with different personalities. I learned a lot about insurances and billing.
Pros
big company
Cons
not well manage
Teaching Opportunities at Citrus College
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Social ScienceApril 26, 2015
A professional well experienced educator with real world and world wide insight has no chance to even have an interview at Citrus College. Publication is not an asset either in the political science or history realms. Getting an interview and employed is an insider situation. This is not special to Citrus but is California wide. The golden shine in California is dull now. Don't waste your time for an opportunity that just does not exist. Apply for a position anywhere but California where your credentials, talents, and interests will be appreciated.
Pros
Small size. Needy students.
Cons
Continual construction, no courtesy in management, no chance for employment.
Collaborative team of educators who enjoy teaching nursing!
Nursing Instructor (Current Employee) –  Glendora, CAJanuary 7, 2015
-Multiple duties define the work day, from classroom lecture, skills instruction, counseling students, ensuring student and patient safety in the clinical setting.
-Nursing Instructors do not need to instill fear and intimidate nursing students to yield good nurses.
-Management is a complex, multifaceted position that is often not given the respect due.
-My coworkers are complex and multifaceted individuals that are also not given the respect due.
-The hardest part of my job is holding a good student accountable for a mistake. But, I know the learning that will come from the experience is priceless.
-The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the students grow in their knowledge and succeed!
Pros
Personal satisfaction from a job well done
Cons
Some work has to be taken home.
A small and close knit college
Trainer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAMay 29, 2013
Citrus Community College is smaller than other typical colleges. The reason I chose this particular college is because how small and how close the staff is involved in their student's education.
High autonomy, casual dress atmosphere yet tough professional standards
Older Adult Instructor Part Time (Current Employee) –  Glendora, CaliforniaAugust 7, 2012
A typical day at work : Drive to a Skilled nursing facility and teach older adults in varied level of disability subjects such as health science events, personal medication management, nurtrition for older adults, healthcare self advocacy and memory retention skills

I learned to design all my own curricula and syllabi, and create all my own learning tools. I manage my own time, monitor student advancement and all the paperwork associated with my class. I also register all students at the site, maintain all enrollment data and submit all data to administration. I participate twice a year in department meetings, and more often as curriculum needs dictate

I operate within the Activities Department at the facility where I teach, and see co- workers every day I teach at the facility. I interface with every department of the skilled nursing facility from nursing to housekeeping to adminsistration. I need the cooperation of of all regular staff in order to teach my classes and I have learned how to acheive that cooperation and create Ad Hoc teams in order to teach my classes effectivly

I also have co-workers at the college, my supervisor, clerical support staff, and of course the Dean of my department. I see these individuals on a semi weekly basis, and have enjoyed a smooth working relationship with them for nearly 20 years

The hardest part of my job is the State budget crisis! My department has been reduced dramatically, and I am in the process of restructuring my courses for an entirely different venue. I will no longer be able to teach in skilled nursing facilities. I look
  more... forward to the challenge of teaching completely new courses to a new student body, but will miss the facilityI have been working in as well as the students

The most enjoyable part of the job is designing curricula and actually teaching that which I have created, and seeing the benefits effects of that information to change the lives of my students for the better. I also enjoy meeting with and working with new staff, and creating a "Team" spirit with staff for the betterment of the students. I like feeling that I am part of the Skilled nursing home team, and will miss that relationship too.
Pros
professional appreaciation, autonomy, creative freedom, room for intellectual growth, great supervisor, good retirement benefits, freindly relationship with both support and superiors, easy work environment
Cons
no ability to become full time, no health insurance, uncertain financial environment makes future uncertain