City Barbeque Employee Reviews

great company
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 8, 2018
Overall, I love this company. Unfortunately, the larger they get the more difficult it becomes to move up because they tend to hire from the outside lately. Because of this we are getting managers who are less dedicated to the culture than before. But in the long run everything is great there. I, myself, have had lots of opportunities in the years with the company and obviously enjoy it since I've stayed for more than 6 years so I would highly recommend this company as a whole. It is fun, fast paced but easy to enjoy, you get free food, there's lots of freedom, and the connections you make with guests, regulars and coworkers are awesome. Also as a full-time employee you get benefits- health, life, visual, dental insurance and paid vacation.
Pros
free food, fun and fast paced while not being cut-throat, great connections, if full-time you get benefits
Cons
development, lack of fair raise system
Unstaffed and stressful
Kitchen Prep/Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  KentuckyOctober 31, 2018
Within a month of working there, 4 people quit and management refused to hire more people. I was getting paid for one job but working 3. I didn’t want many hours 20-25 at most. Was yelled at for asking for less hours... i was never properly trained and everyone working there is super rude. I would 10/10 never recommend this company. Maybe they should look into why people keep quitting. Aka look into the mirror.
Great Owner & Home office staff
Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh-Durham, NCNovember 16, 2018
Great mission statement and a solid owner. The Home office staff is fantastic but that's where the good feelings about this company ends. The Market Leader in my area should not be leading people. There is too much nepotism in the joints and catering. Add some "good old boy" network to the mix and you have a great company being ruined by a few people in high places. Too bad, because the team members in most areas are pretty awesome and will live the mission statement of serving and creating happiness everyday.
Pros
Awesome food
Cons
Market Leader & Nepotism
Nepotism rules the chicago market of this company
Chicago Area Catering Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago areaOctober 2, 2018
City bbq cares more about if you make friends then your job performance. If management doesn't like you, and doesn't want to hang out with you on a personal level, they fire you
Cons
If you don't know someone in upper management you're treated like garbage
not a family first restuarant
Sales Specialist, Team Member, (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 16, 2018
I was told by the Assistant General Manager that she planned to have me fired.

Even with all the positive reviews given about me online, she still got rid of me after I had to be there for family.
Pros
Cons
bullying
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 5, 2018
By far my favorite job I've ever held. If they had one close to where I live I'd have never left. They are all about there employees. They help you to advance up the ladder fast. I highly recommend working for city bbq!
Pros
Free food, advancement, training & great hours
We get to have fun and learn everyday
Trainer (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GADecember 27, 2018
I have recommended this job to a few people already. We have become like a family not only with the employees but also with guests. I have come to know so many of the guests very well.
Great experience
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 26, 2018
My experience at City Barbecue was great. The time I was there, there was not a bad experience working. The people were great, managers were excellent. The working environment was excellent.
Fun work place
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Findlay, OHNovember 15, 2018
It was an excellent work place fun atmosphere I would highly recommend it to a friend who needs a job vary productive work environment wish I didn't have to go back to school
City barbeque
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  United States NCOctober 1, 2018
Overall it's a great place to work at everyone is like a small little work family we all care and respect each other. It's a drama free environment. We all try out best and work at a fast pace to satisfy all customers needs.
Fun, Productive workplace.
Assistant Manager & Training Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 18, 2018
CBBQ is a fun, fast pace work place that allows you to enjoy free Barbeque throughout your work day! There are many opportunities for personal growth and promotions.
I absolutely loved how laid back City BBQ was. I loved the atmosphere of the restaurant itself, the guests and my co workers.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, INJanuary 11, 2017
Running the cash register was my favorite, I loved explaining the menu and the different ingredients in the food. Management was decent as far as the work they themselves put in and their constructiveness towards us employees. But they were always supportive and made working there easy. The regulars were my favorite, as well as first timers because they were eight times out of ten to return. The food is amazing.
Pros
Free food, freedom to make the customer happy (free food for compensation, free fixes, etc)
Cons
Cafeteria style dinning, no waiting tables, no tips.
A good place to get started
Que Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Newark, OHMay 29, 2018
It was a nice company to work for and promoted friendliness both toward customers and to your fellow coworker. Never felt like there was a large gap between management and the employees, the higher levels were always very accessible.
Pros
Free shift meal
Quick paced, fun
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Centerville, OHApril 23, 2018
While the work itself was at times very hectic and demanding, working here was a fun learning experience that I value. Being my first job, this is where I honed the base of my work ethic and learned a lot about how a business is operated on a daily basis. Here I became a certified trainer and trained many individuals who came through that location. Unfortunately the pay was not enough for me to sustain rent, bills, and other responsibilities at the time but my situation was unique so I'm sure that wouldn't be the case for any who are seeking employment at this facility.
Productive and fun workplace
Regional B2B Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHDecember 27, 2017
The management and staff are dedicated to their jobs/careers as a result of the great management and owners. They management team believes in work/life balance.
Pros
Free lunches and great employees
Cons
Limited healthcare
So fast paced and stressful
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Matthews, NCMay 3, 2018
I enjoyed working here until it became very popular. Even though sales increased by a factor 4 the management would not hire more staff to help out. I was basically working 2 positions but only getting paid for one.
Pros
discounts
Cons
extremely fast paced and stressfull
Hard Work
Boards Girl (Former Employee) –  Gahanna, OHSeptember 22, 2016
I worked at this company with little benefits and only two raises when i should have been given more for the amount of work I put out. All of my co workers were easy to get along with. A typical day there was constant customers and large orders, usually staying an hour and a half to two hours on really busy nights to close. The most enjoyable part of the job were my awesome team of managers that were there when I got hired.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Hot work enviornment with short breaks
Great environment
Cook, Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 2, 2018
We all had fun working together and all worked great as a team. The managment took good care of there employees. The food is awesome as a former Pitt boss I will carry on the skills I have learned
Fun workplace
Front of House Staff (Current Employee) –  Grove City, OHFebruary 2, 2018
Great environment to work. Free meal every shift. Small breaks as needed. Minimal opportunity for advancement due to size of company. Fun and friendly atmosphere.
its okay
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Blue Ash, OHFebruary 16, 2018
it was fun i worked with my friend and we had fun together, management pushed their responsibilities on you a lot and you didnt get paid to do their work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City Barbeque. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight