City Barbeque
68Average

City Barbeque Employee Reviews

United States114 reviews
Not to bad of a place to work. I loved my job and my hours, just wasn't feeling appreciated by most of the management team. I worked in three areas and got no respect.
May 27, 2020
Thank you for the honest feedback, we appreciate constructive criticism. This review has been shared with the region's leadership!
-HR
Great for teens, can seek management if your interested in the food industry career. Perfect job for you. If your dedicated enough you can easily move up in this company. They have a lot of great benefits and different opportunities in helping you and other by giving back. Fundraiser friendly. They also have some Banana pudding to die for. lol
Pros
Free FOOD, during shift. Unlimited drink
Cons
no breaks really.
May 27, 2020
Thank you for mentioning our career path and opportunities to grow with the company!
-HR
City BBQ is a great company overall. The leadership team is incredibly smart and I truly believe they operate with integrity. The only area of opportunity I would mention is how they manage payroll and overwork a lot of the hourly employees despite having one of the strongest P&Ls in the industry. 13% labor when industry average is 20% really limits their ability to grow even more than than they have.
April 10, 2020
Thank you for sharing some thoughts on the company. This feedback has been shared with leadership.
-HR
What can I not say about City Barbeque. This is 9such a good company to work for, they really care for their employees. Every time I work I feel happy just being there. I have never been so happy while working here. Managment really cares about their employees just like employees cares for their customers. I would recommend anyone to work here that loves to interact and talk with customers and likes to do something and not sit around and be lazy.
March 30, 2020
Thank you for being a part of our team and giving insight on our company's culture, we are happy to have passionate employees like yourself!
-HR
When I first began working for this company I was excited about the growth potential and the culture that seemed to exist across the markets. Over a three year period the company has endured a major cultural shift and a complete turnover in leadership. The vision and focus has shifted to a bottom line driven mentality without regard to the effect the extreme pressure has had on it's team members. It is truly unfortunate that the changes made have not been positive for the people that work there and for those that have been passionate about the food, service and culture for so long. The trust has simply diminished and the team members fear for their jobs every day. This has led to poor decisions, a declining morale and a toxic work environment. When people no longer feel protected by their employer and safe at work - business will always take a turn for the worse. In the end - I feel so disappointed in the path the leadership has chosen. I honestly hope that this will change for City BBQ because the food is amazing and there are plenty of wonderful people that work there who deserve to feel safe, valued and happy.
February 26, 2020
Thank you for providing honest feedback on your work experience. This feedback will be shared with Operations and our leadership team.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
I worked with this company over a year. They had great core values for the employees and stride for greatness in customer service. Here in the Raleigh market, the values went out the window after one of the founders of the company passed away. It has been a joke of a company to work for. If you land on the good side of management you will make good money.
February 17, 2020
Thank you for sharing insight, this feedback has been shared with leadership
-HR
The opportunity to advance with the brand is thriving as they are continually opening new locations. This particular role was regional with 50% of my time traveling out of state. The most rewarding part of the role was opening new locations.
January 30, 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience regarding opening new restaurants- we are excited to see what 2020 brings!
-HR
The Centerville store is a good place but in the beginning of the year all hours get slashed to almost nothing if u haven’t been there long enough and you don’t know more than one area
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Lack of hours on dish
January 13, 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience with working with our teammates!
-HR
Very much enjoyed working for this company and learned many valuable lessons throughout the experience working with the company. Found that the other employees were just as willing and encouraging as well.
January 7, 2020
Thank you for being a part of our team! Our employees work together to create and serve happiness everyday!
-HR
If you are okay working in a high stress food service environment this is a good place to be. Compensation is fair although I have found it difficult to be taken seriously in terms of being cross trained. A lot is said but not always carried through on. More recognition for work efforts couldn't hurt.
January 7, 2020
Thank you for providing feedback, this has been shared with our team!
-HR
The best part of working here is the customers and the 100 dollar rule policy. The customers are amazing and you get to know them on a personal level. We are able to make our best judgment and do what we think is best for the customer without having to get the manager.
January 7, 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience in regards to customer-service! We always put the people first!
-HR
It was a great interview process and I was very happy when I got the job. I would always recommend others to apply and work for city Barbeque. It is a great company to work for.
January 3, 2020
We appreciate your insight on the interview process! We are always looking for great people!
-HR
I really love and respect the culture and the principles the company was built on. I have learned a lot and met a lot of great hard working people.
Everyday we strive to be the best we can be as individuals and as a team we Set the Standard other restaurants try to reach.

49 stores More location coming soon.
January 3, 2020
Thank you sharing our approach to culture: people are everything! We look forward to sharing our product and backyard hospitality with our new locations in 2020!
-HR
The City barbeque was one of the jobs I ever worked for, the Let they managers treat their employees like a goat and get away with it! not only was a hit on line. Not being paid right, hours was take
and kick in the butt. falsely accused on and being a gay black man they did nothing! when they cannot pay the rest of the people at the job they let us go. You bringing a hundred people they open store and do everything you ask then you turn around and fired a good workers for what worst company ever
They are about you and it's a family. Money is great, you get paid a good wage. The customer are normal customers, good and bad. Management is great for the most part.
December 26, 2019
Thank you for sharing your experience on our work culture! Frank Pizzo said,"It was all about the people!".
-HR
It was not bad when I started here but they have a demonizing manager that works there and treats you like you don't belong there. They make you do so much work for little pay, while being a dishwasher, even if you didn't sign up for it. They have favoritism for new workers when you have been there for awhile doing there dirty work. I would never recommend this job upon anyone. This bipolar environment will make you hate working. Your welcome!!
December 16, 2019
Thank you for sharing your work experience. This has been shared internally with Human Resources and leadership.
-HR
Excellent company to work for great hours flexible work schedule they make all their own Bbq sauce just an all right down to earth place to eat at with the family
December 16, 2019
Thank you for the feedback. We strive to have work-life balance for our teammates!
-HR
Overworked. Underpaid. Long hours. Multi tasking. Multiple jobs expections, single job pay. Under appreciated. Owner takes no ownership or accountability of lack of providing.
December 11, 2019
We appreciate your insight on your experience working at City Barbeque. This feedback has been shared with leadership.
-HR
Company takes good care of staff. 1 free meal with each shift. Great environment for employees looking for more ownership and less micro-management. Quality food you can stand behind.
December 11, 2019
Thank you for the feedback on our company culture. We strive to take care of our teammates just as we would take care of our guests!
- Always busy
- Leaned to put customers first

- On busy days to have all hands on deck and always have plan B

- Walk in our break time

- Be short staffed

- Eat
Great food and a great culture makes for a great restaurant experience.
They really know how to treat all level of employee. It is a fast growing company that is looking for people that are willing to relocate and/or become part of a training team that will help develop future managers.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at City Barbeque. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.6
InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
2.9Career Opportunities
2.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight