City Barbeque Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great environment
Cook, Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 2, 2018
We all had fun working together and all worked great as a team. The managment took good care of there employees. The food is awesome as a former Pitt boss I will carry on the skills I have learned
So fast paced and stressful
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Matthews, NCMay 3, 2018
I enjoyed working here until it became very popular. Even though sales increased by a factor 4 the management would not hire more staff to help out. I was basically working 2 positions but only getting paid for one.
Pros
discounts
Cons
extremely fast paced and stressfull
Quick paced, fun
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Centerville, OHApril 23, 2018
While the work itself was at times very hectic and demanding, working here was a fun learning experience that I value. Being my first job, this is where I honed the base of my work ethic and learned a lot about how a business is operated on a daily basis. Here I became a certified trainer and trained many individuals who came through that location. Unfortunately the pay was not enough for me to sustain rent, bills, and other responsibilities at the time but my situation was unique so I'm sure that wouldn't be the case for any who are seeking employment at this facility.
its okay
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Blue Ash, OHFebruary 16, 2018
it was fun i worked with my friend and we had fun together, management pushed their responsibilities on you a lot and you didnt get paid to do their work
Typical
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, INFebruary 4, 2018
This is a typical part time job. Fun environment to work in but don't expect to leave with out the smokey scent of barbecue clinging to your clothes. closing here takes about 3 hours, thats why I quit.
Fun workplace
Front of House Staff (Current Employee) –  Grove City, OHFebruary 2, 2018
Great environment to work. Free meal every shift. Small breaks as needed. Minimal opportunity for advancement due to size of company. Fun and friendly atmosphere.
great company
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 8, 2018
Overall, I love this company. Unfortunately, the larger they get the more difficult it becomes to move up because they tend to hire from the outside lately. Because of this we are getting managers who are less dedicated to the culture than before. But in the long run everything is great there. I, myself, have had lots of opportunities in the years with the company and obviously enjoy it since I've stayed for more than 6 years so I would highly recommend this company as a whole. It is fun, fast paced but easy to enjoy, you get free food, there's lots of freedom, and the connections you make with guests, regulars and coworkers are awesome. Also as a full-time employee you get benefits- health, life, visual, dental insurance and paid vacation.
Pros
free food, fun and fast paced while not being cut-throat, great connections, if full-time you get benefits
Cons
development, lack of fair raise system
Productive and fun workplace
Regional B2B Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHDecember 27, 2017
The management and staff are dedicated to their jobs/careers as a result of the great management and owners. They management team believes in work/life balance.
Pros
Free lunches and great employees
Cons
Limited healthcare
Very cut throat.
Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Huntersville, NCDecember 11, 2017
Managers don't care what position you sign up for they put you on everything and anything even if not trained for it. They are always up your butt about every little mistake.
Pros
Free lunch under $10
Cons
Managment is rigged for family
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 1, 2017
Only family is management and everything is rigged for them. Example being they take 6-7 week vacations out of the year and they get all the hours. Also everything is fit to their schedule for when they wanna work.
Pros
Laid back
Cons
Managment, low hours, get sent home alot
Fun, fast-paced work environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Findlay, OHSeptember 20, 2017
City Barbeque was a great place to work and a great company to work for. I worked for one of the few franchises, so my experience was somewhat unique. I respected and appreciated the vision and core values of the company and am confident that the company will grow and thrive in the coming years.
Pros
Excellent food and Atmospere
Cons
Reliable teammates were difficult to come by
Fast growing company, but not in all departments
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 8, 2017
Recently was bought up by a private equity firm that is forcing some fast growth, this is causing some growing pains and high turnover. Very dependent on department, but is a stretched a little thin due to this.
Seasonal
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Grove City, OHAugust 1, 2017
Only worked there to help with the grand opening out of high school, I did marketing type of jobs when I graduated, and then found city BBQ, and just did it for the summer until they didn't need the help anymore.
Team Work
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Florence, KYJuly 15, 2017
I have only worked at City Barbeque for a few days now, but I can already tell you that working for City barbeque is the best choice I've made. With Good pay, Good management, and most of all, a Good team, there is no way you could fail. Also, there is plenty of room for promotion as long as you put in the work.
Pros
good pay, good management, teamwork
Cons
no cons
Fun and supportive work environment
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Fishers, IN and Greenwood, INJuly 3, 2017
Plenty of room for growth and to move up in the company. For the most part a supportive and encouraging staff. Great culture values and a focus on serving the guest over simply making the sale.
Pros
free meals, flexible schedules, overall nice environment
Cons
messy/dirty, hectic and straining rushes
Good work environment
Grove city (Former Employee) –  Grove City, OHJune 24, 2017
Like working there for the most part learned a lot of different techniques ways to cook meat. I like learning about the different ways to make the foods like helping customer and also enjoyed meeting new people
Fun and easygoing
Manager (Former Employee) –  Centerville, OHJune 21, 2017
Great place to work for students, and those with families. Shifts are flexible, and people are nice. Don't expect to move up quickly, though. GM can be an a**.
Pros
Holiday parties, and shift flexibility.
Cons
No breaks, little job advancement
Best bbq ever
Front of House (Current Employee) –  Centerville, OHMay 17, 2017
Working at City Barbecue has been one of the best jobs I've ever had, I wish they had one in Florida so I could just transfer instead of full out leaving the company. I love my mangers, they care about everyone who walks through the door. It's a fast paced dinning restaurant. I love the speed of service we could provide. The freshest food as well! I loved pulling food right out of the oven or smokers and seeing customers eyes light up. Giving out free samples, and a cake here or there is so nice. All over just loved being there and hate the fact that I have to leave.
Pros
Free food, bonuses, and the love from fellow coworkers
Cons
nothing
Fun job with horrible management
Front of House (Former Employee) –  Gahanna, OHMay 2, 2017
I loved working at City BBQ, and I worked my tail off nearly every day there. I was unhappy with some of the things I was experiencing, yet talking to my managers did NOTHING. I was told to keep quiet and just do my job, even though people drank beer on the job, screamed and cussed out coworkers, and honestly, did whatever they wanted. One fatal night when addressing these problems to my manager, I was constantly interrupted, ignored, and laughed at when I started to cry due to my anxiety and frustration. When I told my manager it wasn't funny, she laughed harder, so I walked away to take a minute to calm down. When I returned, my other manager had fired me due to "yelling, screaming, and cussing" when I did none of those things. My GM didn't care either, and I did indeed contact Human Resources.
So if you want disrespectful managers, coworkers, and employees, sounds like the job for you.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Horrible management, careless employees, rude customers, and no care for your overall wellbeing
Productive and fun workplace
Manager (Former Employee) –  Blue Ash, OHMarch 23, 2017
The best company I've ever worked for. They care about their employees and the culture of the company. The guests are the main focus and that's what I loved about it! Such a fun place to work! I would recommend this job to anyone!
Pros
Free lunches, fun management, fun shifts