City Colleges of Chicago Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
One day in Media Center
Library Media Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 5, 2018
Planning time and research support for local students during the first two hours. Class arrives, support and assist many students and teachers for 2 hours. Lunch time and return to a few students to support and/or teachers support for resources. End day and exit or attend a meeting.
Pros
Flexible schedule, nice people, easy work.
Cons
Political issues, steer clear.
productive place to work
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 31, 2018
Engaging with the children and the practicum students is the most enjoyable part of my job. Watching my younger students as well as my college students grow academically.
Pros
team work
Cons
salary
Family environment
Financial Aid Advisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 23, 2018
Collecting and reviewing of files, meeting with students discussing ways to reduce duplicate work. Meeting with outside sources to answer students, parents, and counselors questions. It is a wonderful place to work and advance on all levels.
Pros
learning opportunities
Cons
short staff
i was a student learning what i love
chicago (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 11, 2018
i was on the progressive newspaper for two yrs before i became the editor and chief. we covered great stories and learned the in and out of how a newspaper is ran!
Loved this job
Note Taker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 8, 2018
I loved working here, however, anyone in my position was only part-time getting 29 hours/week... and the starting pay wasn't conducive for living. Quarterly raises helped, but it was a relaxed environment so that was able to motivate me to come to work. Unfortunately, there's no career advancement if you don't have a bachelors degree.
Pros
Free class, business casual, meet great staff/students
Cons
pay, and not being paid during school breaks.
A great job, though it could be tedious at times
RESEARCH ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 7, 2018
My department was a wonderful place to work at. It could get very frantic at times, but overall, I enjoyed working with the colleagues in my department. Due to the state budget crisis, City Colleges was forced to eliminated 180 positions and mine was unfortunately one of them.
it is a wonderful place to grow and learn
Trustee (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 4, 2018
On a typical day I would talk to students to see what issues they had at the school and see how they would like for them to be handle.I would than speak with the other 7 City Colleges of Chicago to see if they were having the same issues so we could come up with a common solution to solve everyone's issues.
Pros
I were able to meet alot of people and help them
Cons
wish I could have helped more people
Vet Advisor
Veterans Educations Specialist, Veterans Affairs (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 3, 2018
It is an IL education job for veterans...its the easiest thing I ever did. IL loves its vets. Rarely said no to any request-we got a student a new car, they LOVE vets.
Pros
Helping shape futures
Cons
Adult students are sometimes jaded by market reality
Leadership at Risk
District Office Employee (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 26, 2018
Given City Colleges of Chicago's position within the city, the most critical decisions regarding identification and acquisition of the best leadership talent has been subjugated by political desires. The current leadership team at the district office and the seven colleges are there due to political connections rather than qualifications. This is a sad situation since the children of Chicago, and the whole city lose.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Culture, Leadership
Lack of communication
Higher Education Professional (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 24, 2018
City Colleges of Chicago would be a better place to work if communication was prevalent. Administrators tend to show favortism over certain departments when each department play an integral part of the institutions success. Depending on which campus you are employed at you do feel a sense of racist tension that isn't well hidden. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to assist students to their satisfaction and seeing a smile on their face. Management lack professional development and the City Colleges is very selective in who they allow to attend professional development seminars.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Hard to advance if you are not a favorite
Union environment with no career advancement
General Laborer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 23, 2018
Terrible attitudes and too many politics and poor leadership, too many reactionary initiatives, terrible systems, policies don't fit operations, union employees cannot be fired despite poor performances and attitudes
Typical day at work
CIS/Online Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 23, 2018
My typical day at work includes lecturing, demonstrating technology skills and then having students work on their own or working in groups on a class project with my assistance. I would then assess their understanding before they leave the class. I would assign projects and then have them email me with any questions, or meet me at the school for lab/office hours to assist them further.
Busy diverse environment
Adult Educator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 5, 2018
Went in in the evening stayed til 10:00. Learned how hard my students were working. Management assigned a lot of tasks. Culture was hardworking individuals who didn't always like each other. Hardest part was writing curriculum, most enjoyable was the wonderful students.
Hardest Part of the Job
Assistant Director of Safety & Security (Current Employee) –  Wilbur WrightMarch 23, 2018
Hardest part of this job is the lack of respect for Security from the facility. There is a culture that because is preceded as authority, they disregard policy and do what ever they want.
Pros
Close to my home
Cons
Job Security
It is a good job for those that want to give back.
Adult Education Instructor (Current Employee) –  6301 south halsted, Chicago IL.March 19, 2018
Admiral goal overall, to educate inner city youth. City Colleges, is a great place to work but they do not offer room to grow and they only hire part-time instructors
Pros
Management made sure i had what i needed to do a great job
Cons
Not enough federal funding for the adult education programs
A great part-time job
Adult Educator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 7, 2018
Teachers are paid a fair wage and the students are excellent. It is a supportive, fun place to work. A great place to teach if you are bilingual (especially Spanish-speaking).
Fun, Productive and Challenging
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 21, 2018
Working in education was challenging every day. Communicating with students and solving problems gave them hope toward graduating on time with honors.
Pros
Seeing students graduate
Cons
Working as a team
Productive and relaxed place of work
Payroll Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 12, 2018
My time working with City colleges Chicago was awesome i literally have zero complaints. It was Productive and relaxed place of work, great atmosphere, view and managers
Pros
great atmosphere locations and managers
Cons
Position was temporary
Boring
Campus Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 29, 2018
Not the job for someone that looking to advance and make good money. very slow paced and not very exciting for a multitude of reasons. Just wasn't what I was looking for
Productive and great people to work with
Human Resource Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 29, 2018
City Colleges of Chicago was a great place to work. The people were friendly and was always eager to help. I learned a lot about the company and the different departments.