City Electric Supply Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Upper Management Has Some Minor Issues overall Good However
Inside Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCMay 22, 2018
Overall culture is good, focused in training ans supporting employees to help make them informed and successful. Upper management however has some issues with compensation, motivation, and job task balance. Overall good place to work.
its ok
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Kennedale, TXApril 26, 2018
its an ok company to work for. they are no were near competitive with salary as an outside sales person. also being outside you never really get to work outside I mean you do but most of the time your stuck at the branch taking care of it. more times than not you make your own deliveries. the store model is completely different. if you have bigger customers you don't really want to service them as you won't have the material in your store you will have to go find it. MICRO MICRO MANAGEMENT. as a salesman you should be able to go out and cold call, b2b, and keep a strong relationship with your customers and you can't because theres not enough staff at your store. sales people shouldn't even be in the store but possible a couple hours a week. they will try to throw out how they want you to sale. and not how your used to selling. and expect it to work out. you need customers that can either wait for their material or customers that have projects were the material is shipped direct.
Pros
you get a company vehicle and gas card to cover for the low salary
Cons
MICRO MANAGEMENT. if you don't like micro management you won't like working here
keeps you busy
Warehouse/Customer Service/Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 19, 2018
Promise a lot but does not come through. Takes time to build up vacation. Your pay plus your bonus at the year end. Good discount. The building is ran down.
fast paced work enviorment
Warehouse/Driver Helper (Former Employee) –  Williamsport, MDApril 18, 2018
always room for overtime and ability to learn about electrical supplies and their works and the ability to drive all over the place and meet new people
Pros
year end bonus
Cons
limited sick time
City Electric Supply
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 31, 2018
I was Group Office Manager. I handle all the official paperwork and in-house accounting. Created all operational system, train employees, and process all office invoices.
Busy workplace with annual bonuses
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMarch 28, 2018
You work the same hours Monday through Friday. You get an annual profit sharing bonus. The team I worked with was amazing and very skilled at what we did. You sell and deliver electrical parts to contractors. It was alright.
very busy
Accountant Receivable Manager (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCMarch 15, 2018
very busy dealt with 67 locations at one time more. the commute to work from where i live was very stressful, i needed to find something closer to home fro my children.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
health care
Growing and Learning from good Management
Sales (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXMarch 14, 2018
The Manager at my Branch makes it all easier to understand the business. He is always there and is very good to all of us. He never fails to work every position and works on Saturdays as well.

I have learned how to be strong and confident and I do not doubt myself as much anymore when I quote or give an answer to a customer.

The hardest part of the job is making sure inventory is under perfect control and that my customers pay their bill.

The most enjoyable is the Branch Manager. He is sympathetic to those of us that need to learn what he knows. And he makes the day fun by making jokes and buying us lunch. He is the biggest reason I am here. I feel as though I will have the opportunity to move up sooner than later, once I have learned more.
Pros
Job security at my branch. Insurance, time off when needed and bouses!
Cons
Pay could be better.
Opportunities are endless
Branch manager (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsFebruary 28, 2018
Started as a warehouse worker. One year later I was a stores manager, 4.5 years after that I was a branch manager at a new branch. The opportunities are endless, if you put in the work. have the freedom to do what we feel is best for our branch, with very little restrictions from management. You get the benefits of a family owned business, with the power of a large corporation. The company vehicles are awesome
Pros
Great pay for productive branches, endless opportunities, hands off management, excellent company vehicles
Cons
Accounting is frustrating, computers are dated, the opporations aren’t quite polished, base pay can be on the low side depending on where you live
Productive and cool workplace
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 25, 2018
It was good to learn about different electrical parts light bulbs the different ways that you can wire systems homes buildings different kind of wires
Relaxed place to work with good people.
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Anderson, SCFebruary 7, 2018
Great place to work with good people. Good opportunity for career advancement. Customers treat you with the respect that you deserve. Coworkers seem to really care about one another.
Pay/ Compensation
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 6, 2018
City Electric Supply is a good company but they are on the lower end of paying employees. I do not believe in yearly raises, but you can move up in the company fairly easy if you want to.
Pros
work environment, management
Cons
pay, not much vacation
Simply a great place to work
Divisional Credit Manager (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COFebruary 1, 2018
The best job I ever had. I was able to manage myself and giving all the necessary tools to perform my job. Great management team that really cares about their employees.!!
Pros
Too many to list. Company car, gas card, months end fee kicnhes🙂. Just a few to list
Cut throat people in City Electric Supply
Account Receivable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Apopka, FLJanuary 23, 2018
This is not from personal experience, but from things I have heard going on in the office. Upper management is not kind to the personnel in the lower positions. The people that actually do the work. Upper management down grading people not in their class. Was definitely not the ideal job. When I started things seemed fine and then once you are in your position and get to know people and people start to talk freely in front of you, I have heard some pretty awful things about the "little people". Have witnessed some very shady stuff happen to good hard working people.
Pros
Consistently know for mean upper management.
Cons
Would make someone work for the entire year and fire them the day before bonuses came out.
fast and slow pace work environment
Drive/Inside Sales/Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 21, 2018
started out as a great work place, then slowly declined with 3 manager changes, district manager not treating (all but favored employees) with respect and professionalism.
Pros
set ours
Cons
treated poorly as an employee
Cut Throat
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 10, 2018
City Electric Is a cut throat company , also no training its sink or swim . but the staff is friendly and also the other Branch Managers
Its Management that is a Pain ...
Pros
Vendor lunches sometimes
Cons
Sink OR Swim
Laidback office to work in.
Debit Clerk-Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJanuary 5, 2018
The office staff worked when we had a deadline. usually toward the end of the month. Fun place. A typical day at work was first thing in the morning was to pick up the mail, date stamp, sort and distribute the mail. Next I would print out my daily debit and fax or email to appropriate company and request credits as needed.
Call on customers as needed.
No structure
Stores Manager (Current Employee) –  Florence, SCJanuary 3, 2018
City Electric Supply Florence would be much better with a branch manager that knew how to structure a work day instead of just hiring his friends. City Electric Supply Company overall is a great place to work if you are/have a branch manager that knows his position.
It would be a great place if...
Delivery Driver/Warehouse/Counter Sales (Current Employee) –  Lake Zurich, ILDecember 27, 2017
City Electric Supply would be a fantastic place if someone paid attention to what was going on more at branches besides watching just numbers and blocking out the rest. My example would be my branch manager coming and going as he pleases and using company vehicles for their own personal use like moving his house and leaving personal material in the company box truck and then having employees take it out and store it at the branch. No! When higher ups were told about this absolutely no corrective action was taken even with numerous customer complaints. This happens with management at more than one store which allows a high turnover rate and pushes some very good people to leave the company. The minimal oversight from corporate is both a very good thing in the fact that your business can be run the way you want it but also a very bad thing for the reasons explained. There is a lot of potential to make a lot of money here and I've seen it happen to good, attentive branches but that involves good management to be put in place.
Pros
Run your business the way you see fit, potential to make really good money
Cons
You could potentially end up with a terrible management
It wasnt good.
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calhoun, GADecember 27, 2017
It was terrible. The management was uneducated and had no idea about anything accounting related. It was also very hard to keep in contact with the "accounting team" in Charleston. Point Blank.