City Harvest Employee Reviews

El trabajo ayuda a la comunidad para los mas necesitados
Driver (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYSeptember 2, 2019
Excelente compania para trabajar. City Harvest considera sus empleados.
Pros
Seguro medicao
Feeding the hungry
Sr Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 15, 2019
We have a great relationship with agencies, really focused on making sure where the food goes to is sanitary. Working hard to develop good food programs.
Problem is the pay is low enough to really struggle.
People don't seem to stay long and they don't seem to know how an HR department is supposed to work or what HR owns.
You can get professional development, so they are letting employees learn.
Managers do get training it's just that they are not held accountable to use the training. So, there are very poorly skilled managers who don't know how to manage people and they never get better at it.
You can be employed at City Harvest a very, very long time and get offered no advancement. They don't offer you any clear way to advance in the organization. Promotions are very random and political.
We feed a lot of people, so you can feel good about that, but it is very hard to work in an environment where leadership lacks any diversity and doesn't seem to notice that all senior higher paying positions only to go to Caucasian people.
Great donors team! Very hard working, with good ideas for raising money.
Pros
Many good hearted people dedicated to feeding the hungry.
Cons
Wealthy managers who don't care about staff, lack of diversity & inclusion in leadership, bleak career future for staff, very low pay for NYC.
Non Profit Organization
Consultant, Technical Assistance Specialist (Former Employee) –  6 East 32 St NYCNovember 21, 2018
My work was mainly in the field outside the office interacting with many retailers during the course of the work week. I was only in the office once or twice per week whenever I need it to attend meetings.
Pros
Good salary and benefits.
Cons
Organization has a high turnover of staff.
Volunteering experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NY 11212October 12, 2018
My job consisted of donating food to the homeless. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the crowd. The most enjoyable part was providing for those in need.
A good and fast-pace/semi-stressful volunteer Agency.....
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 17, 2018
......the food drive coordinators are good and well organized. We do all 5 boroughs of NYC. Morale is good and we work great together great. The food drive works all year round.
Pros
The food drive provides good, if, not great service.
Cons
It's only Volunteer work
They need more workers and trucks.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYMay 18, 2018
Logistics management was not good but fleet and safety management was fine. They needed more people when I was there plus a rise in pay wouldn't have hurt either.
Great place to start career in non-profit sector
Skip Lunch Fight Hunger Intern (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMay 9, 2018
I was an intern for this company and everyone from management to the drivers believed in City Harvest's mission to fight child hunger. This is a very collaborative work environment. I learned so much as an intern about the non-profit sector in such a short time due the amazing people working there. It is fast paced but also very relaxed at the same time.
I am a volunteer and therefore many of the questions are not applicable.
Volunteer Instructor (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYApril 23, 2018
I am a volunteer and as such am not able to respond to many of the questions.

Overall, a fine organization that serves a good purpose. Those in charge seem capable.
Organization mission is vital.
Director of Finance (Former Employee) –  6 East 32nd Street, 5th Floor, New York, NY 10016March 11, 2018
The mission of this organization is too combat hunger in New York City by rescuing food and distributing to the hungry. This was a motivating factor in working there.
Pros
Good working environment.
Cons
Worked long hours.
Great place to learn
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 16, 2018
Company took initiative with my education and provided me real world experiences to learn from rather than fetch coffee and log data. My manager wanted me to be able to walk away with skills I could utilize in the field.
productive and fun experince
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 14, 2016
city harvest is a great class to take. I lean whats good to eat and not so I could increase my health. I also learn how to shop for food with a buget and not so expenise. I learned the carbs and fat some food holds. Also the certain foods that contains certain poisoning.
Pros
class, lessons
Cons
only lasted 6 weeks
Good Volunteer Program.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 8, 2016
A very good and reputable non-profit organization. A good
no. of people from different backgrounds volunteering to help
out and reach those in need of food service and nutrition.
Passionate about their mission
Helper (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 5, 2016
City Harvest is a charity where we went around to restaurants and picked up food that was still good but a little past their due date. We did this so that we be able to cook it and serve it various soup kitchens within the city. They truly believe in rescuing food that would have otherwise have been thrown out and giving it to someone who would be able to benefit from it.

City Harvest has a convenient app that tells you what kind of experience on has accumulated within its organization and send you possible alerts of jobs that would suit your job skill.

I, in particular loved going in to local grocery stores in Queens and working with the owners in educating the public on what they could do with the fresh produce that is on sale that week. We did that be setting up a table and cooked served free samples using things that were on sale and affordable that were in the store right now. Also gave out the recipe we had on hand that we did use to make all these samples.
Pros
Great job experience; can find available positions
Cons
Traveling in and to NYC is expenisive - in both money and time
community Service Volunteer (Current Employee)
Staff Member (Current Employee) –  New YorkAugust 26, 2015
Non-for-profit organization.Nice people, meaningful work,networking opportunity.I have learned that it takes a lot of dedication to serve these communities. City Harvest is a trusted partner and maybe people are willing to participate in our programs because they know we will provide quality and integrity. We are just not another handout.
Cons
Shorts Breaks
productive and great objective to help the, "Hunger!"
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 3, 2014
I believed that this organization is a great non-profit organization that helps in educating young children about nutrition and healthy eating. What's great is the purpose of the organization to help the hunger, be old or young. And I wish them more power and the best, to continue helping more people who are in need of food and shelter.
Productive and great place to work with excellent values towards helping communities in need.
Assistant Manager, Mobile Market Logistics (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 21, 2013
My typical day at work is very different from everyone else in the organization. I spend a lot of time working with several departments to put together my program but I also get to be out on the field interacting with the communities that I serve.

Great experience and enjoyable time
Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 9, 2013
Spoke to many people and entered data. Researched potential partners. Mailed and contacted major donors.
Very easy going atmosphere
Food Distribution Center Associate (Current Employee) –  Long Island City, NYMay 16, 2013
Keep you busy by the time you turn around your day is over .There is always something to do to keep you busy
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Off on the weekens
Company has a great mission statement, and a great place to work for
Warehouse Manager - L.I.C, NY (Former Employee) –  5501 2nd st LIC,NYJuly 28, 2012
Start off by loading 27 trucks for out bound deliveries. Then we start the the morning organization of the warehouse. Next prepare to take in the inbound deliveries, which consist of about 5 to 7 trailers, which are counted, checked for quality and dates and proceed to store product in various locations ( freezer,fridge,dry area. ). This is a new warehouse, we went from 2500 square feet to 50000 square feet. The hardest part of the job is the amount of product that comes in, from 2 trailers to 7. With a staff of 6 new warehouse associates, 3 on day and 3 on nights (this company never had warehouse personnel ) this becomes a challenge with new associates in the proper procedures of storing the product constant direction and training. The most enjoyable part is that at the end of the day (which could be 10 to 12 hours ) that all the work was accomplished and preperation for the next day was created.,