City Market Employee Reviews

Terrible management
Dairy Manager (Former Employee) –  Dillon, COJune 18, 2019
The whole store is a HR issue. Racism, yelling, discrimination, etc. Management is the equivalent of a high school clique. Also, the bathrooms are disgusting with blood and feces on the walls in the women's restroom.
Incredibly stressful place to work
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fruita, COJune 5, 2019
While working at City Market, I was harassed by CMR's (Customer Relations Managers) on a daily basis. The company was on a mass hiring spree, nanny workers were leaving due to the terrible working conditions and they needed to hire more people. Many workers admitted to ignoring calls from City Market, noting that if you answered the phone you'd be pressured to come into work every day you had off. I was consistently given conflicting rules, protocols, and demands and I had to answer to an average of 3 managers at any given time, each of which seemed to tug me around like a game of tug-o-war. I was yelled at by managers in front if customers, most of the time it was over following the instructions of a different manager (and because they're all equal, it was difficult to pick which directions to follow). I worked at a City Market where only some employees are Unionized, and it seemed like new workers were consistently being hazed by their unionized superiors. To sum it up, the work wasn't too difficult but the employer is ignorant at best.
Pros
Cons
Inadequate training, harrassing managers, conflicting managers.
Productive and clean work environment
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Shiprock, NMJune 5, 2019
Working at City Market was an experience, on a typical work day of working 8 hours, coming into work at 8:00, I started by cleaning what needed to be cleaned, such as the register stands, restrooms, seating area, etc. I learned to always maintain a clean work place, how to properly bag groceries, how to work certain machines within the store, and how to properly greet customers and assist them. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people, both co-workers and customers and being occupied all day.
Pros
30 min/ an hour lunch, Constant and compatible work schedule
Cons
15 min breaks
Good place to work if you are a hard worker
Florist (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COMay 31, 2019
If you work hard you’ll get as many hours as you want, you usually can fill in for other departments as-well. I was going to college so it was stressful for me at the time. The training there is simple and you get plenty of benefits as a full time employee. Every manager I had was kind and efficient, they would act as a leader instead of a boss.
Pros
Discounts, Pto, plenty of hours, good pay, raises, good management, fun work environment
Cons
Usually understaffed for the holidays
Productive and fast-paced place to work!
Courtesy Clerk/Bakery Clerk/Floral Clerk (Former Employee) –  Glenwood Springs, COMay 31, 2019
Keeps you busy! Fun people to work with, and flexibility with hours, and variety of jobs! Easy to advance in career, and decent benefits and good pay!
Very customer oriented and a good manager
Barista/Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Glenwood Springs, COMay 25, 2019
I really enjoyed working as a barista. It gave me a chance to really engage with the customers. I also really enjoyed working under the manager, he was always helpful in improving my skills and work around my other work schedule.
Has it's ups and downs
Different departments (Current Employee) –  Montrose, COMay 17, 2019
Department managers are a joke, you must interview well to get the position over actual knowledge of what should and needs to be done.

The store manager Melissa is good at her job, and will listen to problems or concerns. She will do her best to help address the problems and offer solutions.

Csr/m, great people to know. Alot of the staff are extremely nice and always joking.

Night crew often gets the brutal tasks and the most stress put on them. They work without a decent day off, and do the best with what they have.

Some employees are highly upset with their managers for lacking the proper skills needed to correct problems, listen, or even know their job to begin with.

Many employees are great self motivators and will help one another out, alot of teamwork during the day when possible.
Pros
Wonderful coworkers
Cons
Department managers are pretty clueless
It was awesome.
Bagger/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Vail, COMay 15, 2019
It was a great day and the customers were great to deal with. I on the other hand struggled to finish some task. I need to work on a few things. The customers helped me to improve.
Fast pace and very workful job, keeps you busy all day
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Shiprock, NMApril 18, 2019
I like working at City Market was bringing the shopping carts and that was a workout and fast pace for bagging groceries for the customers. And being a backup for cashiering.
Pros
30 min lunch
Cons
short breaks
Fun
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Cortez, COApril 16, 2019
Good fun place to work. Fast paced and good energy from coworkers and customers. Tons of benefits and potential for promotion with in the job. Good friendly environment
Fuel Clerk
FUEL CLERK (Former Employee) –  Montrose, COApril 8, 2019
I loved working for City Market, but one of the reasons I left was that we were always short staffed and it made work exhausting. It was hard to get days off, even if they were requested in advanced. The way corporate uses seniority, and the departments is unfair especially when it comes to giving a pay raise. Benefits are okay
Terrible management
Night Foreman (Current Employee) –  Montrose, COApril 1, 2019
Terrible management doesn't appreciate their employees, and requires more work on a person, fails to knowledge problems in departments, and doesn't count for little details or foreseen circumstances when putting the workload in your allotted time
Pros
good wages, offers benefits, and discount on kroger brands
Cons
no organization, no appreciation for hardworking employees
It was suitable
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fruita, COMarch 26, 2019
I thrived working for City Market. I went up through the ranks quickly and learned just as quick. The problem is sometimes management can be a little tricky. I had my disputes with various managers wanting me to put work before family and that’s not ok in my book.
Pros
Good work, great benefits, usually good people.
Cons
Management wants you to put work before family
Place is closed
Gas Attendant (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COMarch 20, 2019
The city market I worked at closed many years ago, but I enjoyed working there. The scheduled often varied but they were extremely flexible on giving me days off as needed.
City Market
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rifle, COMarch 16, 2019
City Market was and still remains my favorite job of all time. The work environment is amazing, however, during holidays it gets really busy. Other than that, it's a great job that will help you succeed in life.
Pros
Discount, pay, environment, friendly, and relaxing.
Cons
Holidays get busy.
Easy job and fun to do
Grocery Bagger (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COMarch 10, 2019
Would ride my bike into work everyday and when I would get there Id start my day by looking at what duties I was assigned that day and begin doing it and in the mean time I would help customers bag their groceries and get them to their car and at some point I would go get the carts.
N/a
Cashier/Customer Service/money gram (Former Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARMarch 9, 2019
They are terrible to there employees! Could of work if better pay and better management! The store and bathrooms are very nasty! The health dept should go in bathroom sometime!
Cons
It was great, I leaned a lot.
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  New Castle, COMarch 6, 2019
I worked as the produce clerk for a while learned how to organize produce and work efficiently while costumers are taking off the shelf I have to put more and make it look good for the next costumers. I than got moved to Pharmacy and worked on unloading trucks with or shipments.
Pros
Management Insested on taking your breaks
Cons
Pay
friendly people
Night stocker (Former Employee) –  Vail, COFebruary 15, 2019
Friendly people and fair management. Actually a job I really enjoyed. people are so nice. and a lot of opportunities to move up. A place I would defiantly recommend .
Bad experience TWICE
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Durango, COFebruary 8, 2019
My experience BOTH times were horrible, but some people i know have had luck working for kroger. you might too. i worked there years ago and didn't have to best experience but i decided to give it another try cause i needed a job badly. this time i had an even worse experience with managers being verbally abusive. which started after a month and a half. after being there for two decided i had enough and looked for other employment. if you decide to take a nob with city market GOOD LUCK!!