City Mill Co., Ltd.

City Mill Co., Ltd. Employee Reviews

United States34 reviews
This company has a comprehensive training program for all associates. I never had a week long training at a centralized location like this. My disappointment is that the individual stores control their scheduling standards. Part time employees can be scheduled anywhere from 20 to 39 hours a week without your consent. That means that part time associates can be scheduled up to four 8 hour shifts a week and have to pay a good portion of health coverage and no paid holidays.
Managers moral compass was upside down. The rules were rigid, employees were gaslighted, and everyone faced tremendous stress. The company used to be a family oriented but thats a thing of the past with the wrong leaders in the seat. I would never recommend anyone to work here.
People dont last very long here. I started 15 months ago and 8 people have left working here because the management continually piles more work duties onto us. When people leave the company us remaining few must pick up the slack and cannot grumble about it,
My time at city mill was great. The experience I got was amazing because I got to learn different positions while working there. The customers were nice and so were the employees. It really felt like I belonged there. But management at the time was rough.
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
Laid back and very easy going. I recommend this job for anyone. i learned a lot everyday. Not just from training that you will automatically receive on a normal basis, but from the new and returning customers you come across everyday.
When I first started things were a lot more loose, not as regulated, treated like adults. As time went on more rules went into place, less freedom was had, and it ended with me getting sick of being treated like a child who is incapable of more than ringing someone up. It WAS a simple job until the extra rules made it harder for everyone. Maybe things have changed again, not sure.
Great company to work for. Needs better pay. Good benefits and flexible hours. Always something new to learn every day whether it's tools or lights or cleaning supplies.
Pay needs Increase. Management Needs to Help on the Sales Floor when were Short Handed, Friendly Loyal Customers. Merchandise Item are too Expensive. Favouritism.
has no career advancement support for employees. Everyone is trying to get into each other businesses and trying to do each others job. Too many chiefs, no enough indians.
Good job if you want to learn about hardware or want to get your foot in a trade. Learning the tools and equipment and how they are used. Other than that it’s very stressful you would have to deal with a bunch of customers while dealing with other customers. Sometimes your coworkers wouldn’t even come to help you because they’re scared or they don’t want to. Pay was very low for work done
Pros
Lunch break, benefits, learning about hardware
Cons
Pay, management, lack of help
Everyone was given certain tasks, in this
Environment, it was a cohesive atmosphere. Being

Assigned to different departments enabled me to

Grasp alternative work forces. Very one worked

Together, especially with management. The

Fellowship and assistance .

To begin with as I previously enjoyed the work

Atmosphere, I had never before was totally immersed in learning different skills, different

Tools and different applications of problems. It

Was a total eyeopener of the different situation

One can be involved in the ability, with fellow

Worker, to solve the problem.
Pros
Everyone worked well together and assisted.
Cons
Not realy. Adverse conditions.
A typical day at work was forklifting merchandise out the store with precision, assisting customers with their screen orders, cutting lumber and plywood as needed, and scoring jalousie glass as needed. I learned the importance of teamwork and a strong work ethic during my time there. Management set the pace and many in-store projects were completed by the associates under supervision. The workplace culture was enjoyable and the employees were very friendly. Lots of fun chatter during and after lunch. The hardest part of the job is when we were short-staffed and the workload began to get more difficult. The most enjoyable part of the job is when team work is going smoothly and all job duties are being executed.
Pros
Two short 15 minute breaks and a one hour break
Cons
Half-hour lunch break on weekends
Worked over a year with this company and I have to say. Was one of my longer jobs that I have enjoyed. Last boss taught me everything from starting to manager training and very on time with scheduling things. Recommended for long term and a stepping stone for later careers.
Pros
Free lunch and great co workers
Cons
Might get too comfortable which may cause some draw backs.
It has guidelines that are more relaxed than union companies, they were kind and funny and really overall relaxed. I hope people would work there and join there team.
Pros
Get to have fun
City Mill was a really awesome place to work at, Management team and coworkers were all awesome and not to mention the customers whom I've become to know on first name bases and an honor to serve them with anything they needed assistance with, on a typical day or hard day is when receiving 80+ pallets and its just time consuming but we all work as a team and get the job done, that's the most interesting part about the job is having an extra hand from my coworkers makes things a lot easier and smoothe, during lunch was a time for relaxation and getting to know about each others lives. It was really a family oriented working environment and that's enough for me to enjoy my four years as being a part of the City Mill Ohana.
The CEO manages the company well and always made it a positive, and happy work environment. He knew just how to motivate associates and allow us to provide great customer service. He truly cares about people and it shows.
Typical day of helping customers to the best of your ability. Expansion of product knowledge on different products that help you better help the customers find what it is they need.
You start an 8 hour shift that begins from 7-11am adn then you will stock, do inventory and help customers throughout your shift. Sometimes have to problem solve with a customer and then go-back and forth to solve the problem.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
The co-workers for the most part are friendly to one another and the team work culture their is ok. The pay isn't worth having to deal with rude customers daily but it can be enjoyable at times.
Ringing up customers,assisting their needs,answering phones.Processing will call orders. Excellent customer service above all. Positive attitude a must. The hardest part of the job at city mill was having coverage for the day. I put in a lot of extra hours and days, because there wasn't enough coverage. Enjoyed assisting customers and putting a smile on their face !!!
Pros
enjoyed working with customers
Cons
no set schedule
Company is going through a tough cycle, I would call it a reorganization. They have made management changes by moving managers from store to store.

Overall a good local company to work for.