City Mill Co., Ltd. Employee Reviews

Great place to work and the associates are the best.
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Waianae, HIAugust 15, 2018
City Mill was a really awesome place to work at, Management team and coworkers were all awesome and not to mention the customers whom I've become to know on first name bases and an honor to serve them with anything they needed assistance with, on a typical day or hard day is when receiving 80+ pallets and its just time consuming but we all work as a team and get the job done, that's the most interesting part about the job is having an extra hand from my coworkers makes things a lot easier and smoothe, during lunch was a time for relaxation and getting to know about each others lives. It was really a family oriented working environment and that's enough for me to enjoy my four years as being a part of the City Mill Ohana.
One of the best places I have worked with great people and good work environment.
Sales Associate/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Pearl City, HIJanuary 6, 2019
Worked over a year with this company and I have to say. Was one of my longer jobs that I have enjoyed. Last boss taught me everything from starting to manager training and very on time with scheduling things. Recommended for long term and a stepping stone for later careers.
Pros
Free lunch and great co workers
Cons
Might get too comfortable which may cause some draw backs.
The CEO is amazing
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oahu Island, HIJuly 27, 2018
The CEO manages the company well and always made it a positive, and happy work environment. He knew just how to motivate associates and allow us to provide great customer service. He truly cares about people and it shows.
Its was a great place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Nimiz highwayNovember 6, 2018
It has guidelines that are more relaxed than union companies, they were kind and funny and really overall relaxed. I hope people would work there and join there team.
Pros
Get to have fun
family orientated
Cashier (Former Employee) –  ‘Aiea, HIOctober 26, 2017
in the time that i was at city mill , i enjoyed it very much, we would train in the main store for about a week before we go to what ever store they placed us. we would work the register and answer the phones. if nothing else, i can say that job taught me how to multi-task.
Pros
raises
Cons
no over time
Good Place to Work
Training Assistant (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 10, 2017
Working here gave me the experience in working behind the scenes in the corporate office of a retail chain, having previously always been on the salesfloor either as a sales associate or a manager. The unique thing about City Mill is that it is a testament to a small, locally owned home improvement chain, can compete against the "Big Box" stores of Home Depot and Lowe's. In fact, the location of the home branch sits literally in between a Lowe's and Home Depot branches across the street. The workplace culture tries to foster a family ("ohana" here in Hawaii) feel, and for the most part, especially in some of the branch stores, you do feel that. In fact, the thing I miss most since leaving are various people who have touched my life while there, some who I still keep in touch with to this day. The hardest part for me was that being a smaller company, it was not unusual for extra duties that really did not have anything to do with my department duties to be tacked on to my responsibilities when someone left/retired and it was decided not to fill that position again. (Such as being responsible for ordering and filling all the office/maintenance/retail supplies for all the stores and the corporate office.)
Pros
Great benefits package
Cons
Pay is lower than industry averages for many positions
Ok place to work
Lumber Associate (Former Employee) –  Kaneohe, HIJanuary 30, 2018
The co-workers for the most part are friendly to one another and the team work culture their is ok. The pay isn't worth having to deal with rude customers daily but it can be enjoyable at times.
work at city mill
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 13, 2017
A typical day at City Mill is helping customers with what they need and seeing the satisfaction in their faces. I learned how to work in various departments do to cross departmental training, Management was no problem they treated everyone individually and respect. The hardest part of the job was inventory night every 6 months. The most enjoyable was helping customers with language and cultural differences.
Pros
working environment, customer's satisfaction
Difficult Place to work at
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 18, 2015
City Mill is a family fun business that has been in business for over 100. It can be a fun place to work, however, management does not always communicate well their expectations for the company and for their employees. Try as they may to keep the benefits reasonably in cost they only do that for employee only plans and it is difficult for employees to afford anything above that.
Pros
Flexible in time off
Cons
Communication
Good local company. Good company culture.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mililani Town, HINovember 2, 2017
Company is going through a tough cycle, I would call it a reorganization. They have made management changes by moving managers from store to store.

Overall a good local company to work for.
City Mill
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIFebruary 28, 2018
You start an 8 hour shift that begins from 7-11am adn then you will stock, do inventory and help customers throughout your shift. Sometimes have to problem solve with a customer and then go-back and forth to solve the problem.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Very family oriented team.
CSA - Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  ‘Ewa Beach, HIMarch 2, 2018
Typical day of helping customers to the best of your ability. Expansion of product knowledge on different products that help you better help the customers find what it is they need.
Fun Place to work with fun co-workers and management.
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Kaneohe, HIDecember 3, 2014
You have good day's and bad day's depending on customers. You also get to know your regular customers when you start to associate with them and see them often, I learned that you just have to do what you got to do with out being told what to do. Everything is just common sense. The job really isn't hard just as long as you do what is needed to be done and have fun. If you don't smile and have fun your just going to be irritated with it all. Most enjoyable part is having to feel like everyone is family because those are the people you see everyday. The management team is awesome, They care and even appreciate our hard work everyday.
Pros
Employee discount is really great, Management takes good care of there employee's.
Cons
Pay and that's about it....
Providing excellent customer service.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kaneohe, HINovember 9, 2017
Ringing up customers,assisting their needs,answering phones.Processing will call orders. Excellent customer service above all. Positive attitude a must. The hardest part of the job at city mill was having coverage for the day. I put in a lot of extra hours and days, because there wasn't enough coverage. Enjoyed assisting customers and putting a smile on their face !!!
Pros
enjoyed working with customers
Cons
no set schedule
fun place to work. great people.
Receiver/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 24, 2017
City mill is a great place to work, very relaxed and friendly co-workers. Management is very understanding of personnel needs. They also give you a store discount!
Pros
very friendly
Cons
receivers work out side rain or shine.
Sales Assoc.,Cashier,Customer Service
Sales Assoc., Cashier, Customer Service Rep. (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 7, 2013
I managed the houswares dept. Cash handling and assisted customers at the Return counter/customer service.
Pros
flexible hours that worked perfect while I was in college
Cons
slow advancement
Productive and great place to work at.
Cashier - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Waianae, HIJanuary 21, 2015
Great place to work at.
Ohana environment.
Great management team
Pros
Good schedules
Cons
Great place to work and very close to home
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 24, 2017
I enjoyed my time working at City Mill. Learned a great deal about how good customer service should be. Family oriented company and was always treated with great respect. Was a cashier at City Mill for 2 years and enjoyed my job the whole time I was working there.
Pros
learned how to give great customer service, great first job
Hawaiian Styled Workplace
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  ‘Ewa Beach, HIJune 21, 2015
My typical focus during the day was focusing on customer service. Maintaining stock came secondary. I was a little uncomfortable when it came to measuring and cutting lumber and enjoyed being in the garden area assisting customers much more. I worked with wonderfully diverse coworkers who made coming to work less of a chore.
Pros
Casual Workplace
Cons
Retail Schedule and Low Pay for Hawaii
City Mill
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pearl City, HIMarch 30, 2017
Although I enjoyed what I did, I didn't appreciated being relied on for most things especially for managerial duties while I was only a sales associate.
Pros
Set schedule

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City Mill Co., Ltd.. Our community is ready to answer.